eMbox and eDir 8.7.3 to 8.8 upgrade

Two questions: All six servers are Netware 6.5 SP6 with eDir 8.7.3.9. I
am preparing a migration (physical, identity) to OES 2 SP1 Linux. One of
the servers in my tree does not have a SYS:/SYSTEM/embox folder or
embox.nlm. It would appear that this was somehow not installed with the
last migration or update.

How do I install it, or what do I reinstall to resolve this? I want to
merge a partition into the root.

Second: I will need to install SP7 or SP8, and then install eDirectory
8.8, I am contemplating going with 8.8.5... Do I need to spend the
weekend updating eDir on all six servers, or will eDir 8.7 and 8.8 work
together for a week?

I have the documentation and am reading that I will need to deploy an
NMAS update to my Windows workstations - which leads me to wonder if
this is an all-or-nothing proposition.

Sigh -- deploy an NMAS update to 168 workstations.

Email just arrived for Novell Training services: Dragging your feet in
migrating from NetWare to Novell Open Enterprise Server?

Heh.

--
--Tokind

tkindig

You do not need embox in order to merge a partition into root.

8.7 and 8.8 will work together just fine.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=378831

0
ataubman
7/2/2009 1:36:02 AM
I see Andrew aswered already part of your questions, but let me give you a
more complete answer covering your other questions as well:

- embox is not needed for partition operations like merging partitions or
anything like that. Embox may however be necessary if you plan to make
transfer ID migrations, e.g. if you use themigration tools to transfer the
ID of a NetWare server to a new OES2SP1 server

- as Andrew already said, eDir 8.7.3.9 and 8.8.x can coexist just fine,
especially if it is just for a short time anyway. There is no need to
first upgrade your netwware servers to 8.8.x

- when talking about deplyong NMAS on your workstations, I assume that
means you have not been using  Universal password so far but just NDS
password, You should be aware that universal password is not a general
requirement for OES2 to work at all, but it is a requirement for certain
services to work, most importantly SMABA, CIFS and AFP. A login with a
Novell client however will continue to also work with just an NDS login
and so does an authentication through LDAP. So if you migrate from NetWare
to OES2, workstations that use a Novell client will continue to be able to
access the OES2 server just fine, even if they don't have NMAS installed.
IT's just the other services that require Universal password, and using an
NMAS enabled Novell client is to make sure the universal password gets set
and synchronized.
In other words, depending on what OES2 services you need in first place,
the fact of not using NMAS enabled clients may not be blocking for your
migration. IT would of course still be recommended to migrate to full
universal password usage as soon as possible.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums

The target for migrating these servers is OES2SP1, and I will migrate
the NSS volumes intact to NSS volumes on OES linux. Universal password
is, I take it, prerequisite to accommodation of NSS on OES linux.

I have tested LDAP and certificates on all servers and everything
appears to be in good order.

So, this business of getting to eDir 8.8 all looks a bit less scary
than it did yesterday (thank you!).

All of these migrations are transfer ID migrations. Do you have a
suggestion regarding getting eMbox going on that one server? Does it
really matter? I am @ 8.7.3.9 and the SP8 docs suggest this will be
updated to 8.7.3.10. What I do not know is whether this update will
re-install eDir or simply replace a few components and modify the
schema. Perhaps I should re-install eDir 8.7.3.9 before I proceed?

--
--Tokind
tkindig's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3046
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=378831

0
tkindig
7/2/2009 3:06:03 PM
tkindig wrote:

>Universal password
>is, I take it, prerequisite to accommodation of NSS on OES linux.

No, it isn't. NSS couldn't care less what kind of passwords you use
because you don't log into NSS. It depends on the service you connect to
whether you need universal password or not. If you use the NCP server
(e.g. you use a Noell client on that workstations), then universal
password is not strictly required. In other words, using the Novell
client, you can access NSS voumes on an OES2 server without universal
password.

>I have tested LDAP and certificates on all servers and everything
>appears to be in good order.
>
>So, this business of getting to eDir 8.8 all looks a bit less scary
>than it did yesterday (thank you!).
>
>All of these migrations are transfer ID migrations. Do you have a
>suggestion regarding getting eMbox going on that one server? Does it
>really matter? I am @ 8.7.3.9 and the SP8 docs suggest this will be
>updated to 8.7.3.10. What I do not know is whether this update will
>re-install eDir or simply replace a few components and modify the
>schema. Perhaps I should re-install eDir 8.7.3.9 before I proceed?

The problem is that there is no eDir 8.7.3.9 install. Installing a newer
SP will not completly reinstall eDirectory, but it will just install
updated versions of the NLMs that have been updated since NetWare 6.5 FCS.
However since NetWare 6.5 FCS only contained eDir 8.7.1, chances are that
pretty much everything of EMBOX will be updated, that is if EMBOX will be
updated at all. This may for example depend on whether EMBOX is listed in
the product database.
I suggest you install SP8 and see if that brings back EMBOX. If it
doesn't, then maybe the best option would be to install eDirectory 8.8.5
(the only eDir 8.8.x version still available for download) just on the
server with the missing EMBOX.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0
Marcel

upgrade edir 8.7.3 to 8.8.2 or 8.8.3?
Our tree: Netware 6.5SP7 and OES2/Linux, edir 8.7.3.10b ftf1 and edir 8.8.SP2 ftf2 I started to install new servers with edir 8.8 some month ago, some of the edir 8.7.3 servers will be switched of before long. Now I want to upgrade the remaining 8.7.3 servers to 8.8. It seemed clear to me that I wouldn't install 8.8.2 if 8.8.3 is out. But after reading the postings here, I am quite unsure... My questions: Isn't it dangerous to stay at 8.8.2? Some of the fixed problems are overflows - these might be security relevant? I saw two problems with 8.8.3 here: the ldap probl...

Upgrade of eDir 8.6.2 to 8.7.3 / 8.8
I have a couple of NW6 servers running eDir 8.6.2 - I'd like to update them to 8.7.3 to take advantage of all the features of iManager 2.5 1. Is this a free upgrade or am I required to purchase 8.7.3 ? 2. Is 8.8 a better upgrade option ? Steve Hi, Steve Babcock wrote: > > I have a couple of NW6 servers running eDir 8.6.2 - I'd like to update > them to 8.7.3 to take advantage of all the features of iManager 2.5 > > 1. Is this a free upgrade On Netware yes. > 2. Is 8.8 a better upgrade option ? No. 8.8 is a complete brand new *Version* wi...

[IDM 3] eDir 8.7.3.8 or 8.8
Hello, I'm going to install a IDM 3 on SLSE 9 in a production environment to synchronize some systems. What is the best solution for the identity vault version , eDir 8.7.3.8 or eDir 8.8 ? This meta directory will be used only to consolidate some information that will be accessed with a web interface and will do some provisioning. Are there some known bugs with eDir8.8 ? R�mi. If you are ever going to want to go to 8.8 and above I would start with it. It probably isn't quite as stable as 8.7.3.8, but upgrading to 8.8 once IDM is installed is problematic and requires ...

how to backrev edir 8.7.3.8 to 8.7.3.7
Im need to back rev 8738 to 8737 for Netware 6.5 SP5 server. I've looked though TID 10100930 but am not sure if it applies since FACT only list this is for Solaris, Linux or HP. Please let me know if it's ok to follow this TID if not, please point me in the right direction. Thank you! Hi, ralph@canon.com wrote: > > Im need to back rev 8738 to 8737 for Netware 6.5 SP5 server. Why? You should have a damn good reason to do this. Backrevving eDirectory isn't something that should be done lightly. CU, -- Massimo Rosen Novell Product Support Forum Sys...

Edir 8.7.3.5\ 8.7.3.6\8.7.3.4
Ok Iam confused with the roll back issue. What is the Edir that is working Iam hearing Novell rolled back 8.3.6 but I can only see that 8.7.3.4 is stable but Iam not hearing if 8.7.3.5 is ok. Iam on 8.7.3.5 and Iam having issue with keeping edir healthy. So is this my issue and or how do you roll back if I need to. Also I see some said " dsrapir full attened is not the preferred way of getting ds healthy so what is this about I have not heard of this before. Thanks to anyone who can clear this up while I wait for ssupport to get back to me on the phone. Hi, 8735 came with N...

eDir 8.7.3.8 v. 8.8
Hello everyone. We're currently running eDir 8.7.3.7 on several NetWare 6.5 sp5 servers. What are the pros/cons of upgrading to eDir 8.8 vs. applying the 8.7.3.8 patch? Any compelling reason not to do the upgrade? Thanks, Travis Travis Montgomery, > What are the pros/cons of upgrading to eDir 8.8 vs. > applying the 8.7.3.8 patch? > Basically that so many apps have ptroblems with 8.8. It should really have been called 9.0. Lots of new features though. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) ...

Upgrading OES1, edir 8.7.3 to 8.8
Investigating the upgrade to 8.8 from 8.7.3. Right off, I am struck dumb by what I find in TID 10099872: "OES Linux Requires Newer NCP Engine To upgrade to eDirectory 8.8 on OES Linux SP2, you must use the "oes-edir88" channel which includes the needed NCP engine. "Warning: Do not install eDirectory 8.8 without first installing the newer NCP engine for eDirectory 8.8 or your server might be rendered inoperable. Also, do not install this updated NCP engine on a server running eDirectory 8.7.3."" The way it reads (to me) I cannot upgrade. What ...

Edir 8.7.3.9 upgrade to 8.8
--____OWCZGHEQPINFXXUEQINK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sun, 7 Jul 2007 11:16:25 -0500" SGV5IHRoZXJlLA0KDQpXaGF0IGlzIHRoZSAidXBncmFkZSIgcGF0aCBmcm9tIG5ldHdhcmUgNi41 IHNwNiBlZGlyIDguNy4zLjkgZnRmXzIgdG8gZWRpciA4LjguMSBmdGZfMj8NCg0KU2luY2VyZWx5 LA0KDQpUb20= --____OWCZGHEQPINFXXUEQINK____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____RWJZTSBCVEBFXDOECUZC____" --____RWJZTSBCVEBFXDOECUZC____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64...

eDir 8.8.2 install failure in conjunction with eDir 8.7.3.10
Hello NG On our SLES10 SP2 we tried to install eDir 8.8.2. In our environment we have different Netware server with eDir 8.7.3.10 working On the Sles10 Server i ran ./nds-install for the installation procedure. After this procedure i started the following command. ndscondig add -t mytree -n ou=server.o=abc -a cn=admin.o=abc -w 12345 The setup procedure began to run but then we received the following error The nds schema in this tree is out of date. You must run ndsrepair to correct it. Error -6 setup for nds installation failed. I ran dnsrepair on the netware server and c...

eDir 8.7.3.7 Ugrade to eDir 8.8.2
Currently we have eDir 8.8.2 in our tree and I have several servers NDS 6.5.5 / eDir 8.7.3.7 and would like to upgrade all to NDS 6.5.7 / eDir 8.8.2. Is there a simple way to do this, it's not so simple from the patch readme's and I'm unable to find a TID saying I can go directly to 8.8.2. Thanks for your help. -- traverj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ traverj wrote: > > Currently we have eDir 8.8.2 in our tree and I have several servers > NDS 6.5.5 / eDir 8.7.3.7 and would like to upgrade all to NDS 6.5.7...

eDir 8.7.3 and eDir 8.7.3.3
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0078B44D85256F94_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I have about 30 NW6 and 10 NW6.5 server. I want to upgrade to eDir 8.7.3.3 across the board. I was also thinking of upgrading NICI 2.6.5 and adding the SECUPD2a and NMAS 2.3.5 This requires me to reboot the server 5 times fro the NW6 servers and 4 times for the NW65 servers. Is there a consolidated support pack that I can build to upgrade all or some of these together. Just cycling the server 5 times will take about an hour! --=_alternat...

Upgrade eDir 8.7.3.10b to 8.8.5
Currently running 8.7.3.10B on SLES 10 SP3. Can I update directly from 8.7.3.10b to 8.8.5 or do I have to do something like 8.8.0 first? From reading the documentation it looks like I can just download 8.8.5 and upgrade from there. I backed up my current 8.7.3.10b install with dsbk, though I couldn't get the -e flag (to back up NICI) to work, I kept getting an error. Is that option not supported with dsbk in 8.7.3? I ended up manually copying some of the NICI config files and directories to a backup location. Anything else I should be mindful of before upgrading to 8.8.5...

upgrade from eDir 8.3.7.9 to 8.8 SP2
I have servers running NetWare 6.5 SP5, NetWare SP7 and OES Linux servers on the Tree and would like to upgrade eDir to v8.82. I believe GroupWise 7.02 is compatible with eDir 8.8. Is there any particular order that I should upgrade the servers? On the server that holds the master replica of root or any server that has RW replica of the Root partition would be good start? Thanks in advance. Wilson -- wilsonhandy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The general recommendation is to upgrade the Master of [Root] first -- but that...

Upgrading from eDir 8.7 to 8.8
In the installation guide for eDirectory 8.8 SP3, on page 13, paragraph 1.5, it states "When upgrading a NetWare server to eDirectory 8.8, you might need to update the eDirectory schema by running DSRepair on the server that has the master replica of the root partition.". It then details a process of copying a NLM from the CD to each server and running a particular process in DSREPAIR. At the risk of sounding blunt, what is this "might" crap? Do I need to do it or not? How do I know if I need to do it? Or should I just do it for good measure? It would appear ...

Web resources about - eMbox and eDir 8.7.3 to 8.8 upgrade - novell.netware.6x.install

Windows Anytime Upgrade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) was an upgrade method offered by Microsoft and selected licensed resellers to users who intended to upgrade their ...

President Obama's Facebook Page Upgrades To Timeline
Yes, we can upgrade to timeline. U.S. President Barack Obama's Facebook page has the new layout.

Four Reasons to Upgrade to the New Share Dialog for iOS
... as friend tagging and privacy controls. 2. A faster and more native sharing experience Pinterest and popular iOS game 4 Pics 1 Word upgraded ...

More Streams: Facebook to Upgrade App Directory, App About Pages Soon
Over 50,000 applications have been added to the Facebook application directory since it first launched two years ago, and Facebook says it’s ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh Laura Tobin @ Lauratobin1 2m The only way to get through today is chocolate, I'm going to start small with baby & upgrade ...

Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store on iTunes
Get Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... Flickr. We noticed that you may be using an unsupported browser. All the basics will still work, but to get the most out of Flickr please upgrade ...

ModBook Upgrade by TechRestore - YouTube
http://www.techrestore.com/ - TechRestore Video - Here is the world's first Modbook upgrade video - TechRestore stop-motion style, of course! ...