DHCP/DNS question

Is there a preferred location for DHCP/DNS in a network where there is a
Main FS, BM server, Backup server, and 3 other servers?  I'm think place it
on the server where the logins take place. Or should I split it where DHCP
is on the MainFS and DNS could reside on the BM server?

Jon

Jon,

Please ask in the novell.support.netware.dns-dhcp forum for the best
response.

---------------
Donald Albury
Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp
Sorry, no replies to e-mail responses

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up and
hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
Attributed to Winston Churchill
0
Donald
7/14/2004 1:37:46 AM
Assuming there is not an issue with load on any of the servers:

With many networks being more complicated having multiple segments, I
normally try to get it as physically close to the PCs as the servers
are.  This minimizes the router configurations needed to get the DHCP
requests to the server.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

Install DHCP DNS post install
I have NetWare 6.5 running in a cluster node right now. I am trying to install DHCP and DNS to it. How the heck do I do that? I can't install it from my workstation nor the server console. I am using the original CD I installed the server which is the NetWare 6.5 with SP2. Thanks. insert the product cd startx | novell | install | select your product cd and you get the product list. Uncheck everything except dns/dhcp. Regards, Edward "henry" <henry@henry.com> wrote in message news:Zibee.940$IU1.215@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... >I have NetWare 6.5 r...

Installing DNS/DHCP on NCS 1.6 with Netware 6
Hello all, Trying to set up a DNS/DHCP on a NW6 cluster with SP3 installed. Right now it's 3 Compaq 530's with a Compaq SAN each connected with a single Fiber Channel card. Here's the problem. The cluster software is installed and volumes fail back and forth. That's good. We go to add DNS. We do this by running dnipinst from the console. We go through the screens, and it says it has installed. We then go to a workstation with ConsoleOne 1.3.5 installed. We go and try to add a DNS server, picking our objects. When we finally click the last button, we ge...

installing dns or dhcp in oes2sp1b gives no installable providers
Hi, I updates a sles10sp1 domU to sles10sp2 and post patches. After that I installed oes2sp1b. I installed ifolder, netstorage, nss and related products without problems. Except for some ifolder warnings Failed to configure Novell iFolder 3 Web Access and Failed to configure Novell iFolder 3 Web Admin, but that's something for l8r. I patched also OES with the available patches through the 2 available update sources. I only want to install oes-dns, but after selecting this pattern, it comes up with a message that there are no installable providers. I do not want to go on, ...

installing dns or dhcp in oes2sp1b gives no installable providers
Hi, I updates a sles10sp1 domU to sles10sp2 and post patches. After that I installed oes2sp1b. I installed ifolder, netstorage, nss and related products without problems. Except for some ifolder warnings Failed to configure Novell iFolder 3 Web Access and Failed to configure Novell iFolder 3 Web Admin, but that's something for l8r. I patched also OES with the available patches through the 2 available update sources. I only want to install oes-dns, but after selecting this pattern, it comes up with a message that there are no installable providers. I do not want to go on, and w...

Install dns/dhcp
--____RZFZEYPWFITTEHCCDSBP____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I would like to install dhcp on a remote server. I don't want to use gui = or cd. are their files i can copy off of product cd or where and can i = install it this way? Thanks Aron --____RZFZEYPWFITTEHCCDSBP____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____CZIETFMCPYVSDGUNDXEM____" --____CZIETFMCPYVSDGUNDXEM____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <HTML><HEAD> <MET...

DNS / DHCP Questions
Would I post these type of questions in this forum? If not, can you please direct me to the correct forum? Thanks, Cheryl List of forums available here http://support.novell.com/forums/2nw.html -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

How to install DNS/DHCP
I tried to launch program named DNSDHCP but when I opened it, it said "LA002:Fail to create NDS context". After that, it pops up a box and ask me to enter the NDS tree name. Pls help brad' ' wrote: > > I tried to launch program named DNSDHCP but when I opened it, it > said "LA002:Fail to create NDS context". After that, it pops up a box and > ask me to enter the NDS tree name. Pls help Are you launching it on a machine that has the Novell client installed? -- Jim NSC SYsop If this is on XP, you need to use the DNSDHCP Console fro...

DHCP/DNS questions
I am by no means a Netware "expert" but I have found some great help on this forum and hope someone can help me with a couple of questions. We are a small company with all resources under on roof. We are running Netware 6.5 on a Dell 700 server. For our DNS server, we have a Unix system (which I don't administer). When I set up the Netware 6.5 server I entered the DNS server's IP address and Domain Name at an early point in the installation. No problem there. We recently set up a new Unix DNS server and the IP address (of the DNS server) and Domain Name was changed. My...

DNS/DHCP question
I've got a mixed bag here with Windows AD and NDS. the Windows group insists that AD functions best with a Windows DNS, so we set up our network accordingly. my question is this. I still want to run DHCP from the NDS side. if I do that, is it necessary to also have a DNS service in the tree? I tried removing it and got messages on my DHCP console about trying to connect to the IP of the NW server that last ran DNS followed by RoconstructConnection failed, etc. and DHCP wouldn't work. I re-added the service to the DHCP server and everything seems OK. Mike O'Shea ElectriCities...

DNS / DHCP Questions?
Is this the correct forum for these questions? Please advise. Thanks, Cheryl there is a specific DNS-DHCP forum, which would be a better starting point -- Shaun Pond Novell Support Connection SysOp ...

DHCP/DNS Question
Runnning NW 6.5 SP5 with DHCP and DNS For some reason the DHCP servers are not updating the IN-ARPA reverse lookup entries. The servers are handing out addresses correctly and doing DNS fine, EXCEPT reverse lookups are incorrect Any ideas ?? Thanks Doug Doug Roehm wrote: > Runnning NW 6.5 SP5 with DHCP and DNS > For some reason the DHCP servers are not updating the IN-ARPA reverse > lookup entries. The servers are handing out addresses correctly and > doing DNS fine, EXCEPT reverse lookups are incorrect > Any ideas ?? > Thanks > Doug Just realized im in...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Web resources about - DHCP/DNS question - novell.netware.6x.install