Whether to use Netware for DNS/DHCP?

We have always used static IPs.  We have about 300 users.  Let's say they
are spread equally inside of 192.168.a.b where a is 1, 2 or 3 depending on
the floor or location you are in.  We have always just pointed people to
our ISP for DNS.  Lately we have been considering going to DHCP and
bringing the DNS in-house so we have a little more flexibility.  The thing
is, everyone on my staff including myself has used these service on Win2k
or 2003 server and are familiar with them.  We are debating whther to just
throw one of these out there to do it or learn the Netware way.  Most of
the time the netware methods make sense, but after reading up on it, it
looks a little strange.  For instance, it looks like you have to configure
the Netware Client(and therefore have one).  The way we've done it with
windows, DHCP just broadcasts itself and your NIC grabs it and assigns the
proper settings.  So what would you do, retrain or not.(Remembering that I
sometimes need retraingin if I take too long of a lunch:-)  Thanks for
your help.
0
dogfrndnew

,
> For instance, it looks like you have to configure
> the Netware Client(and therefore have one).

No. NetWare DHCP works just like any other DHCP. You can hand out
certain settings *to* the NW client though.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
12/18/2006 5:37:31 PM
On 12/18/2006  dogfrndnew@yahoo.com wrote:

> The way we've done it with
> windows, DHCP just broadcasts itself and your NIC grabs it and assigns the
> proper settings.

The way it works, the workstation(s) actually broadcast for an address
and the server, on this case the DHCP, responds to that request with
an IP. The DHCP server doesn't broadcast anything, the client does.

As Anders stated, you don't need a Novell Client to obtain these services -
just like you don't need a LinkSys client to obtain an IP from your SOHO
LinkSys router.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> On 12/18/2006  dogfrndnew@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > The way we've done it with
> > windows, DHCP just broadcasts itself and your NIC grabs it and assigns
the
> > proper settings.
>
> The way it works, the workstation(s) actually broadcast for an address
> and the server, on this case the DHCP, responds to that request with
> an IP. The DHCP server doesn't broadcast anything, the client does.
>
> As Anders stated, you don't need a Novell Client to obtain these
services -
> just like you don't need a LinkSys client to obtain an IP from your SOHO
> LinkSys router.
>

> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

OK.  Here's the next part.  Would it be OK to run it from it's own tree?
We have an unlimited MLA type license, so running it in it's own tree to
start would allow us to kick the tires and become comfortable with it in
the production environment without screwing up the real tree.  Does that
sound doable?  Thanks for the quick replies.

0
dogfrndnew
12/19/2006 1:55:18 AM
dogfrndnew@yahoo.com wrote:

> OK.  Here's the next part.  Would it be OK to run it from it's own tree?

Yes but why? No need for that, you can use your current servers for
that, it is pretty small service running on the server.
And like the fellows said before, Netware DHCP is just like any other
DHCP server (+something extra IF you need it.), nothing strange.

-sk
0
Sami
12/19/2006 11:34:56 AM
On 12/18/2006  dogfrndnew@yahoo.com wrote:

> Would it be OK to run it from it's own tree?
> We have an unlimited MLA type license, so running it in it's own tree to
> start would allow us to kick the tires and become comfortable with it in
> the production environment without screwing up the real tree.  Does that
> sound doable?  Thanks for the quick replies.

That sounds like a good plan but once you get comfortable with running
DHCP on NetWare, move the services to the current production tree.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
12/19/2006 3:45:18 PM
We use Netware DNS and DHCP and it works well. With DNS, don't forget to
include your ISPs DNS servers on the "forwarding list" of the server.

With DHCP, you have to manually add a couple of settings sent to the
clients which Windows Server do automatically. Like the DNS server ip
address and the default gateway. It is really easy to do, so no big deal.

0
fgams

DDNS
--____OGIJWEIFSZWDFEMDUXEK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 10 Jan 2007 09:40:29 -0500" We have a Netware 6.5 sp5 server running DHCP and I recently setup a SLES = 10 DNS server, and now i want to dynamically add my workstation hostnames = to the DNS server. I've setup DDNS on the SLES 10 side and generated my = TSIG Private and public keys, but I'm not sure how to get the public keys = to my clients. I'm assuming i would use DHCP, but do not see...

Using Netware Administraor in Netware 6.x
Can anyone tell me if there is documetation that states Netware Administrator can cause problems with NDS objects. I know Novell does not support Netware Admin since the release of Netware 6 but I thought I read somewhere that it can cause problems if objects are modified with Netware Admin and that you should only use ConsoleOne or Imanager in Netware 6 or 6.5. taddiaa@trinity-health.org wrote: > Can anyone tell me if there is documetation that states Netware > Administrator can cause problems with NDS objects. I know Novell does not > support Netware Admin since th...

Using NetWare 6.5 licenses with NetWare 6?
Novell NetWare 6 Support Pack Revision 04 (C) Copyright 1983-2003 Novell Inc. All Rights Reserv Server Version 5.60.04 December 12, 2003 Novell eDirectory Version 8.6.2 SMP NDS Version 10350.30 December 15, 2003 Server License: Novell NetWare 6 Server 600 SN:301453 User Licenses: Novell NetWare 6 User 600 (Hard Stop) -------------- I've added 50 NetWare 6.5 & previous licenses. These new licenses are not being issued. All license certificates have been assigned to...

Netware to OES2 DNS/DHCP
I'm about to migrate my two dns/dhcp servers from Netware 6.5.8 to OES2 Linux 64bit machines. I have two questions about the process. 1. I've not migrated a Netware host to a OES2 host yet. I understand it's possible to do an ID tranfser to the OES2 box to keep the servername, ID etc Is this correct? 2. and more appropriate for this forum, DNS/DHCP. Can I run DNS/DHCP on both Netware and OES2 while I upgrade both machines, I will I need to have only one server running these services during the upgrade process? I'll need a couple of days to complete the above...

SLES DNS and NetWare DHCP
We have had DHCP running on NetWare for some time, with no local DNS service. The DHCP option 6 is set to a BorderManager DNS proxy. I just set up a SLES 11 server with named, and it will resolve our local static IP addresses and forward to OpenDNS. I am using it now, and it seems to be working correctly. Next step, can I set the NetWare DHCP server to update the SLES DNS server, or would I be better off setting up DHCP on the SLES server? My main concerns are transitioning to the SLES server without disruption, and getting Option 60 for ZFD PXE boot set up correctly. ...

Dns/DHCP Netware upgrade
Hi, We have two 5.1sp6 servers running DNS and DHCP services. We want to move these 2 services to two new servers running Netware 6.5sp1a. What is the best way to do this? Is there something special to do, take care? Thank you --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If they are in the same tree, then you really don't have to worry about = much at all (create the new server objects, make sure that any routers = doing BOOTP forwarding are setup for the new servers, then move the = s...

Netware DHCP to SunOne DNS
Currently we are using Netware for DHCP. Our goal is to start leveraging our DHCP setup to start registering and updating our existing DNS Servers running Sun's DNS. What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup? Thanks In article <5olcg.958$Mr.939@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Ted wrote: > What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary > to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup? > Yes, Novell's DHCP server can only upd...

Windows DHCP
Hi All, We replaced some NW servers running DHCP with server 2003 boxes runnning DHCP. We configured them the same as far as address ranges, dns server addresses, etc. The problem is that the workstations which get addresses from the Server 2003 boxes will NOT register their PTR or A records on our Netware 6.5 SP5 DNS box. Is this a hopeless cause or is there some way to make this work? John Morgan -- Jmorg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ In article <Jmorg.3l7f2n@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Jmorg wrote: > The pro...

Using DOS and NetWare 6x
We are thinking about upgrading our 4.11 server that has Queue Based printing and is only on a full dos network to the newest version of Netware. I have a few questions: 1) Will I be able to manage and configure the server via dos workstations 2) Will I be able to print to the NDPS printers from dos machines? Note that this will be only a full dos network, there is no windows machines at all. Thanks in advance, I look forward to your reply, -- Richard L. Hankins Auction Services, Inc RH wrote: > We are thinking about upgrading our 4.11 server that has Queue Bas...

Netware 6x Benchmarking Tools
Hello, I am currently evaluating a couple of servers, running Netware 6.5. Does anyone know of a good bencmarking tool I could use to test these servers (preferably free!) Many thanks Andy Stokoe Manchester Metropolitan University UK Netbench? http://www.etestinglabs.com/benchmarks/netbench/default.asp -- Marcel Cox http://support.novell.com/forums/ ...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Web resources about - Whether to use Netware for DNS/DHCP? - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools