underscores, server names, DNS, host files

Hello,

I have a couple questions about server name resolution as our environment
moves toward pure IP.  We have six Netware 6.5 SP4a servers with
underscores in the name (e.g. ORG_ADMIN1).  We have added DNS entries for
these servers and replaced the underscores with dashes.

Here are my questions:

1) Should the SYS:ETC\hosts file entry for a given server look like:
123.4.5.67  org-admin1.our.domain  org-admin1  OR
123.4.5.67 org-admin1.our.domain  org_admin1  OR
<some other configuration>

2) What impact will there be on drive mappings, if any, when we move to
pure IP?  A typical drive mapping from a login script is currently written:
MAP ROOT Q:=ORG_ADMIN1\VOLUME\Folder:

Would we need to move to
MAP ROOT Q:=.ORG_ADMIN1_VOLUME.OU.O:Folder

Any other pointers are greatly appreciated.
TIA

Bill

0
ws6304

ws6304@american.edu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple questions about server name resolution as our
> environment moves toward pure IP.  We have six Netware 6.5 SP4a
> servers with underscores in the name (e.g. ORG_ADMIN1).  We have
> added DNS entries for these servers and replaced the underscores with
> dashes.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1) Should the SYS:ETC\hosts file entry for a given server look like:
> 123.4.5.67  org-admin1.our.domain  org-admin1  OR
> 123.4.5.67 org-admin1.our.domain  org_admin1  OR
> <some other configuration>

I'd go for org_admin as your server name, NDS objects etc all contain
those.

> 2) What impact will there be on drive mappings, if any, when we move
> to pure IP?  A typical drive mapping from a login script is currently
> written:  MAP ROOT Q:=ORG_ADMIN1\VOLUME\Folder:

This will work fine. Just make sure your clients have to ability to use
IP for authentication.

--
Cheers,
Edward

> > Here are my questions:
> >
> > 1) Should the SYS:ETC\hosts file entry for a given server look like:
> > 123.4.5.67  org-admin1.our.domain  org-admin1  OR
> > 123.4.5.67 org-admin1.our.domain  org_admin1  OR
> > <some other configuration>
>
> I'd go for org_admin as your server name, NDS objects etc all contain
> those.
>
> > 2) What impact will there be on drive mappings, if any, when we move
> > to pure IP?  A typical drive mapping from a login script is currently
> > written:  MAP ROOT Q:=ORG_ADMIN1\VOLUME\Folder:
>
> This will work fine. Just make sure your clients have to ability to use
> IP for authentication.
>

> --
> Cheers,
> Edward