ERROR: "client xx.xx.xx.xx#xxxx: update 'zone name/IN' deni

Seeing this error on DNS console.  TID  10086933 option 3 says Go to the
Control List for the zone affected and add the ip address of the device
trying to update DNS in the "Allow Update" list.

However there is no such 'Control List' option in the DHCP console.
Where do I find it?

Thanks

Lenny

--
lennyd

lennyd

Lenny,

> However there is no such 'Control List' option in the DHCP console.
> Where do I find it?

What version of the DNS/DHCP console are you using? With The NW6.5SP6
version I see a Control List sheet for the zones.

H.
0
Hamish

lennyd wrote:

> Seeing this error on DNS console.  TID  10086933 option 3 says Go to the
> Control List for the zone affected and add the ip address of the device
> trying to update DNS in the "Allow Update" list.

Umm, why would you want to allow a enddevice to update it's own DNS
records?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

For each zone the only tabs I have are Attributes, Transfer Nets, SOA
info.  Should there be another tab called Control Lists then?

All I'm trying to do is when new devices / servers are installed for
them to initially register themselves in DNS rather than having to
manually add them in.  Is this not good practice then?  If they are
able to register themselves do they then continue to update DNS on a
regular basis?

Thanks

Lenny

--
lennyd
lennyd's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1886

0
lennyd
4/17/2008 8:26:02 AM
lennyd,

> Can't find any version numbers with the DNS/DHCP console.  dnsdhcp.exe
> dated 30th april 2003.  This would have come with our NW6.5
> installation and we're on SP6 although I didn't think the DNSDHCP
> console had been updated for a while.

Yeah, there were some major enhancements to the console. Re-run the DHCP
setup, then try accessing the zone.

> For each zone the only tabs I have are Attributes, Transfer Nets, SOA
> info.  Should there be another tab called Control Lists then?

I don't have a copy in front of me, but the one I looked at did have a
control lists tab.

H.
0
Haitch
4/17/2008 10:50:09 PM
Yes I've just re-run the setup and the tab is now there so I'll give
that a go.

Thanks very much

Lenny