Connecting Netware 4.1 and Netware 6 through a firewall

Hi folks,

we have an Netware 4.11 Server with IPX (and IP) and a Netware 6 Server
with IP (and IPX) in the same NDS tree.

We want to bring the Netware 6 server in the DMZ of a firewall that does
not route IPX packets. How can we assure, that the Netware 4.11 server in
the trusted zone can still communicate (for NDS sync) with the Netware
Netware 6 server in the DMZ.

Can they communicate over IP (what ports have to be opened then at the
firewall)?

Thanks for you help.

Achim Fokken
0
info

> Can they communicate over IP (what ports have to be opened then at the
> firewall)?

Sorry, no.  :(   NetWare 4.11, although it supports IP for routing, the
Novonyx  web-server, DHCP, etc, cannot communicate with another
server using NCP over IP; only IPX.

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.16.3.1
0
John
4/23/2004 11:23:00 PM
You should be able to use SCMD.NLM to make the 2 servers communicate
through IP. Check the following TID for configuration hints:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10065898.htm

You can replace NW 5.0 by NW 6.x in this example.

Searching the knowledgebase for SCMD will give you a number of
additional documents.

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.16.3.1)
0

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 how?????
Hello I need help on how to upgrade Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 I installed Netware 4.1 on a single network server with 5 workstations back in 1995. Since then I have only had to upgrade some patches to correct for y2k. The server has been running great, but now the servers hardware is giving troulbe. Thank You Tom How many users? With <30 or so, I would just do a new install. You need a fairly differently configured box to do 6.5 -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com You can also try checking out the "Netware Migration Wizard" at ...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

NetWare 4.1 Upgrade To NetWare 4.2
We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need to upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be downloaded and installed? John G. jagaman@adelphia.net The reason for the upgrade was so we could use Backup Exec 9 John A. Goodrich wrote: > We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need to > upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be > downloaded and installed? > > John G. > > jagaman@adelphia.net > You need to purchase Netware 4.2 with the appro...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Connecting a NetWare 6.5 cluster to NetWare 5.1 volumes on a SAN
Hi there, I am working on a site relocation project where we have multiple NetWare 5.1 servers at the current site and we are moving to a new site where they will be replaced with a NetWare 6.5 cluster. The NetWare 5.1 servers have the data volumes sitting on a SAN (about 2TB) and we were thinking to use the SAN hardware to mirror the LUNs between the two sites. Doing a data copy will take far too long and require too much administration. Once we mirror to the new site and are ready to migrate the servers we would then shutdown the NetWare 5.1 servers (although we would d...

Inplace Rolling upgrade from NetWare 6 SP4 with Clustering 1.6 to NetWare 6.5 SP2
Hello All, We have a Netware 6.5 sp4 Cluster with cluster services 1.6. We want to do a rolling upgrade of the system. Could anyone point me to the right place so I can do this correctly or give me some advice. Thanks Colin On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:15:08 +0000, colinb wrote: Take a look at TID 10094313 and be sure to the read the NW 6.5 documentation. Also don't forget to use the Deployment Manager off the root of the NW 6.5 OS install CD to prepare your environment for the new versions of eDir 8.7 and NCS 1.7 -- //Niclas Ekstedt _________________________________...

Migrate NetWare 6 to Netware 6
I have a box running Netware 6 and I would liek ot migrate it to new server hardware---Hwat is the best way to do this....I wan to make sure I keep my IP address, server name, iPrint config, Printer Queue def, Home- Dir, etc.... paul , > I have a box running Netware 6 and I would liek ot migrate it to new > server hardware---Hwat is the best way to do this....I wan to make sure I > keep my IP address, server name, iPrint config, Printer Queue def, Home- > Dir, etc.... > The Migration Wizard. Or use portlock to clone the disks. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, ...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5sp6
Ok so I'm using using the Netware Migration utility SOURCE: NW5.1 SB SP8 - tried OLD and NEW hardware Tried various hardware combination Done DSrepair, Volume Check etc. STILL NO GO! The Source Server ALWAYS crashed and the utility sits there counting the hours !! The crash happens when transfering files from source to destination - at random file (volume has been checked - OK) I tried deleting ALL the user files & groupwise (after backing them up) I also have a MIRROR copy of the drive put away! (3 days so far and counting !) What are my options ?? Eric w...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6
We are planning on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.0. I do not know which servers I should do first. We are planning on only upgrading a few servers at a time, is there anything that needs to be done to a netware 5.1 server so it can communicate with a 6.0 server before it is upgraded? Here is our layout: All servers are currently running Netware 5.1 SP5/ NDS 8.82 fccadmin.fcc FCC1 - File and print - Master replica FCC3 ZFD4 FCC6 Apps FCC7 GRoupwise 6 SP2 FCC8 Groupwise 6 webaccess inst.fcc FCCA - File and Print Master Replica FCCB - Data Any help would...

Help Needed Regarding Large NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.1 Upgrade
Thanks for your help, here are the details. I have a customer which currently has 7 NetWare 5.1 SP5 Servers running NDS 8.82. One is at their main location, and they have one at each of their 6 branch locations. Each location including their main location is its own container. If you look at their current directory structure, you see 8 containers as the root of the tree, one for each location and one they just use for managing security for a particular application. Currently their main server at the main location is the Master Replica and it appears that each location has a...

!! Mixed tree NetWare 6 / NetWare 4.2 / DS 6.21 first observations !!
For all those who are interested: After solving yesterdays problems (see postings in novell.support.ds.edirectory.netware)we proceeded this morning with our plans: * Pre-Health check (22 servers). * Update to DS 6.21 on NetWare 4.11/.2 platform. * Enabling Auxsupport on all servers via SET DSTRACE AUXSUPPORT ON. * Post-Health check All went well. Results: * Time sync is near perfect, the 50% -603 error on the NW6 box is gone, so the DS 8.6.2 time sync issue that was told about in the readme.txt of the 6.21 update also counts for NetWare platform. * Replica sync is perfec...

Web resources about - Connecting Netware 4.1 and Netware 6 through a firewall - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...