cannot delete file, cannot read from source file or disk

Hi,

I'm running Netware 6.5 SP4 and I'm having trouble deleting a directory
that has a few subdirectories under it.  I'm getting a

"Cannot delete file, cannot read from source file or disk".

On my client machine I'm running Novell Client 4.91 SP2 and Windows XP
SP2.  I've also tried a different client machine.

Yes, I made sure nobody had the file open.  I also rebooted the server,
same thing.

I can delete other directories just fine.  I've tried to rename the
directory and same thing.  When I click on one of the subdirectories I
get a
"Disk is not formatted, Windows cannot read from this disk.  The disk
might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is not compatible
with Windows".

Just if you're wondering, the subdirectories are named E_BUSY.ANI, or
E_WORK.ANI.... and so on.
0
gilbert

Load Monitor - Server Parameters - NCP, and set Client File Caching
Enabled = Off and Level 2 OpLocks Enabled = Off.

Try different utilities to delete the problem files; ConsoleOne, NRM,
NWadmin, Windows explorer, CPQFM, Netbasic ...
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
7/6/2006 11:02:51 PM
Also, dos deletes (erase, rmdir) and deltree if you can find it.  I've had
that do the trick before.
"Andrew C Taubman" <ataubman.RemoveThisToMailMe@novell.AndThis.com> wrote in
message news:vEgrg.3488$6c7.662@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Load Monitor - Server Parameters - NCP, and set Client File Caching
> Enabled = Off and Level 2 OpLocks Enabled = Off.
>
> Try different utilities to delete the problem files; ConsoleOne, NRM,
> NWadmin, Windows explorer, CPQFM, Netbasic ...
> --
>  Andrew C Taubman
>  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
>  http://support.novell.com/forums
>  (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>
>  Opinions expressed above are not
>  necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Craig
7/7/2006 12:12:42 AM
By any chance are these really long folder structures?  In other words
is the whole path near 255 characters?
0
Patrick
7/7/2006 2:12:40 AM
No, the file structure is not anywhere near 255 characters.

> By any chance are these really long folder structures?  In other words
> is the whole path near 255 characters?

0
gilbert
7/10/2006 7:45:34 PM
I did that and I still can't delete the directories.  I've tried
ConsoleOne, Windows Explorer.

> Load Monitor - Server Parameters - NCP, and set Client File Caching
> Enabled = Off and Level 2 OpLocks Enabled = Off.
>
> Try different utilities to delete the problem files; ConsoleOne, NRM,
> NWadmin, Windows explorer, CPQFM, Netbasic ...
> --
>   Andrew C Taubman
>   Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
>   http://support.novell.com/forums
>   (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>
>   Opinions expressed above are not
>   necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
gilbert
7/10/2006 7:46:34 PM
Have you tried DOS commands?
<gilbert.florescu@douglasesd.k12.or.us> wrote in message
>I did that and I still can't delete the directories.  I've tried
> ConsoleOne, Windows Explorer.
>
>> Load Monitor - Server Parameters - NCP, and set Client File Caching
>> Enabled = Off and Level 2 OpLocks Enabled = Off.
>>
>> Try different utilities to delete the problem files; ConsoleOne, NRM,
>> NWadmin, Windows explorer, CPQFM, Netbasic ...
>> --
>>   Andrew C Taubman
>>   Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
>>   http://support.novell.com/forums
>>   (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>>
>>   Opinions expressed above are not
>>   necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Craig
7/10/2006 9:44:09 PM
Well that's only 2 of the 6 options I listed ...
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
  http://support.novell.com/forums

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
7/10/2006 11:07:29 PM
gilbert.florescu@douglasesd.k12.or.us wrote:

>No, the file structure is not anywhere near 255 characters.

if you have a win98 machine, it can usually delete strange directories
when other versions can't

--
Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp

Error Copying file or Folder...Cannot read from Source File or disk.
I am trying to copy a folder from the file server to a backup drive on a client machine. Novell Netware 4.11, Windows XP clients. Some of the folder will be copied...then the above error shows up. Sometimes the name of a file will be there...ie Error copying xxx.doc, Cannot read from Source File or disk. Yet, when you go to the server...that file will open fine...and copy fine if you copy it individually. This happens on all the machines on the network (4)..not just one machine. I have resorted to the dos xcopy command to copy the folder but I'd like to try and get the co...

File Read and File Delete. Concurrency
Keeping image files and their thumbnail image files in a directory and using a custom handler to show the miniatures (and create cache thumbnails mentioned before) I sometimes have a situation where a user downloads a file (the handler is being used) and admin wanting to delete the file in the same time. That creates a situation when file cannot be deleted due to access deny. Ideas how to let admin delete the file anyway?   Best regards,Jarosław Jaskułowski...

there are source files but no project file or solution file
I am working on a project, which only provides some .vb, .aspx, and other files. But there is no solution file or project file. How can I instal them in the development environment under .net visual studio 2005?   Thanks   David 1. Open Web Site from VS.NET 2005 to open this folder; 2. File -> Save All after you open the folder. VS.NET will pop up a window to let you save the project. Usually, after you save it, a .sln file will be saved to folder \Visual Studio 2005\Projects\YOURFOLDERNAME\ i f you don't change the folder for saving. Hope it helps."Objec...

How disable save file popup error message: file "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." ; jor
When I save web pages (complete, not merely html, in order to save images) to my disk, while offline, I get about 10 pop up messages saying it can't load .js & .php files. I have to close each one of those 10 windows individually - a big waste of human time. Firefox 3.6.10 on Ubuntu Linux 10.4 Is there a way to 1) disable those info messages so they don't pop up, or 2) have ff put all the messages into merely one window, so I only have to close one window per web page. Thanks. :) = Popup window error message: {filename path to folder on disk} "could not...

Having trouble deleting files with File.Delete
Hi, I am using File.Delete to delete a file in a virtual dir and all I am getting is Access to the path "D:\WebProjects\Workspaces\Project A\images\imate.jpg" is denied. I have granted permission for asp.net for this file and entire folder but I am still geting the same error. What am I doing wrong? Maybe the file is marked as read-only. Right click the file in Explorer and click Properties. If the Read-only checkbox is checked, then uncheck it. If you are running Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP you have to grant write permissions to the Network Service account and not the ASP...

Delete Files File.Delete() WebApp
I wrote a web app that delete files off  servers. The web app works fines when compiled and ran off Visual Studio 2005.  But when trying to run off of IIS it cannot see the files on that server or another server. Visual Studio 2005 is on the same machine IIS is running on. Is there a setting on IIS that I am missing? Please help. Thanks! -Nelson Hi,try checking the path of the file that you are assiging to delete method. Always "Mark as Answer" the Post That Solves the problem.Because It helps others to find the solution. Mohammad Hussainhttp://mohdhussain.blogspo...

Eof of file , file read and file write ! Problem !
Hello All, I want to do 2 things. I have a big file and I want to read file line by line upto last. and side by side i want to write it to new file with some change I am not getiing , in a read , linemode! how i will get End of file and how i will do all this. can you tell me script. I'm not sure I understand your question. From the PowerBuilder Help file, in linemode! FileRead() will return a 0 when it reaches End of File (EOF) so it should be trivial to code? This is just off the cuff but I would imagine it's something like li_Readfile = FileOpen( ...

to file:// or not to file://
(Firefox 1.5.0.6) I'm having trouble with HTML Anchors (links) using the file: protocol. The URL I'm trying to get at looks something like this file://///Host.Domain/Share/Dir1/Dir2/File.Ext If I click on the link, /nothing/ happens but, if I "Copy Link Location" and paste exactly the same thing into the "address bar" in FireFox, FireFox is perfectly happy to show me the file. Why the difference? Am I tripping over some security restriction here? Any suggestions? TIA, Phill W. Phill W. wrote: > (Firefox 1.5.0.6) > I'm ...

Deleting Files on Remote Host; File.Delete()
I'm uploading files to the server, afterwhich I need to delete the file that was uploaded (from the remote computer).. I'm using Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_HOST") to get the computer name of the remote user to access the file that was uploaded so I could delete it (with FileInfo.Delete() I suppose) The thing works when I hardcode the file path of the file on the remote computer in my code say \\remotePC\\Shared\FiletoDelete.txt but the PostedFile.FileName of the uploaded file has this "C:\FolderName\FolderName\Shared\FiletoDelete.txt" format (since the file is loca...

Deleting a file with System.IO.File.Delete
Hi, how can I delete a File with System.IO.File.Delete after a Response.End What I'm doing -> I export a file and prompt the client to save it then I have to do a Resonse.End for the file to save. Afer that I want to be able to delete the file. I guess that after the Response.End I can't...... Any idea or tricks will be apreciated. Thank you. I think if have finished reading the file and sending it with Response.Write you can close file and remove it, before Response.End. Slava The point is that the file is streamed to the client when the processing o...

upload multi files, then attach file, then delete files help
Hi, I have a web form that needs do three things in one time when user click "submit" button. 1. upload multi files into web server (In know how to do this part) 2. send a email with these uploaded file to another user. 3. delete these uploaded files from web server. I know how to do 1). But, do not know 2) and 3). I know how to send email without attachment, But, once I add attachments. it does not work. Please help. Many thanks. Xiuxain Hi there, Please check the following links.. Sending Attachments and to delete file .. imports sys...

FTP: Delete File, Move File, Get File Properties (?)
Hi! Using the inet object, how can I (a) Delete an object from the FTP server (b) Move a file from one folder to another on the FTP server (c) Get file properties on a given file (e.g. datetime and size) Thanks! D I think I figured it out..... "Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel@N.0.S.P.A.M_infrontsoftware.com> wrote in message news:#qfwscFpCHA.199@forums.sybase.com... > Hi! > > Using the inet object, how can I > (a) Delete an object from the FTP server > (b) Move a file from one folder to another on the FTP server > ...

Opening link to .rtf file from disk shows "source" of this file
Name: Aleksander Mielczarek Email: maleksanderato2dotpl Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Opening link to .rtf file from disk shows "source" of this file Comments: When opening link to .rft file form the Internet, it is downloaded by download manager, but when opening file from hard disk (eg. file:///C:/Program%20Files/ATI/CIM/Bin/readme.rtf) the browser shows all the formatting stuff ( {\rtf1\ansi\... ). I don't have MS Office installed, only OpenOffice. HTH. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; pl; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Fi...

Deleting a file using system.io.file.delete
Hi I'm trying to delete an uploaded file from a directory using the system.io.file.delete and I'm getting a URI formats are not supported error.The file uploads fine though.Here's the code..sAttachment = "Attachment.doc"System.IO.File.Delete("http://DevServ/XX/Attachments/" & sAttachmentAny help would be greatly appreciatedCheersLbob the methods in the system.io namespace use physical paths not virtual paths.Use server.mappath to convert from a virtual path to a physical path.System.IO.File.Delete(Server.MapPath("http://DevServ/XX/Attachments/" & sAttachment))Mike Banavige~~~~...

Web resources about - cannot delete file, cannot read from source file or disk - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

The Republican Debate Offered A Theatre Of Ideals, Ire, And Speculation About The Future
The Republican Debate continued to offer much in the way of entertainment value, but left the segment of the electorate who supports the GOP ...

Oscars 2016: Major movie studios, including 20th Century Fox, grab fistfuls of ...
Los Angeles Times Oscars 2016: Major movie studios, including 20th Century Fox, grab fistfuls of ... Los Angeles Times Hits from the leading ...

When Alan Rickman became an actor: Evocative school pictures show first roles of Harry Potter star
An album of evocative photographs showing Rickman's starting steps in the dramatic world has come to light after it was released by his alma ...

The Latest: Vigil held at site of Jakarta attack
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — The latest on explosions in downtown Jakarta (all times local):

Ricky Gervais still defiant after Caitlyn Jenner responds to Golden Globes joke
LONDON — This one looks set to run and run. Following the news that Caitlyn Jenner responded to Ricky Gervais' joke about her at the Golden ...

Signs of second largest black hole in the Milky Way
Astronomers using the Nobeyama 45-m Radio Telescope have detected signs of an invisible black hole with a mass of 100 thousand times the mass ...

Pastry Shops Targeted Over Copyright Infringing “Star Wars” and “Minion” Cakes
Birthdays are the highlight of the year for most children and what better way to celebrate than with a cake featuring their favorite cartoon ...

Galaxy S7 tipped to have Vivid Photos to combat Apple’s Live Photos
When Apple launched the iPhone 6S it brought with it a new feature called Live Photos that captures 1.5 seconds of video before and after an ...

Netflix To Crack Down On Proxy Servers As Share Price Continues To Be Volatile
Netflix is cracking down on people using proxy servers to access the SVOD giant’s library. The use of VPNs (virtual private networks) was commonplace ...

Rene Angelil, Celine Dion's husband, dies near Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Rene Angelil was a former singer-turned-manager when he received an audiotape of a 12-year-old singer from her mother.