Can't Login to Utilities Using Server Name (IP address works)

We are unable to login to iManager, Remote Manager, or a Dell utility if
we access any of them using the server name (https://SRVR1/nps/imanager,
https://SRVR1:8009, https://SRVR1:1311).  The login screens will appear,
but when we attempt to login we get various failure messages.  Everything
works fine if we use the IP address instead.

I don't believe this is a name resolution issue, as the login screens do
appear (which implies workstation DNS is fine), and the servers all have
each other listed in their host files, in addition to being configured to
use DNS.  Based on discussions I've read through I've ran PKIDIAG (no
errors), check the Apache httpd.conf (servername entry is correct),
lowered the security level in the browser, and confirmed public has
applicable rights to sys:login directory.  SLP is configured and working
correctly as far as I can see.

This problem does not exist in a test network we use, that is basically a
mirror image of our production configuration, unless this could be a
routing issue of some sort, since the test network does not involve any
of our switches, firewalls, etc.

I am stumped, and am hoping someone can shed some light.

Thank you.
0
bdkmcgl

On 13/09/06 bdkmcgl@budget.state.ny.us wrote:
> I don't believe this is a name resolution issue, as the login screens
> do appear (which implies workstation DNS is fine),

Not at all - client32 does not use DNS but SLP. Ping the server DNS name
from a PC where iMan or NRM fails and confirm is can resolve the name.

But what exactly do you mean by "when we attempt to login we get various
failure messages"? What are they?

Has this ever worked, and if so what change or update broke it?

What NW and SP versions? Is this happening on all, some or one server?
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
9/13/2006 11:15:17 PM
Thank you for your response.

The workstation where iMan and NRM fails can ping using the server name.

With iMan, once I get to the login screen using the DNS name I input my
user name, password, tree name, and press enter I get just "Error:" with
no additional information.

With NRM I get "Login Error! Username or Password invalid. Please try
again."

With the third utility in question I simply get returned to the login
screen with the user name and password fields I had filled in now blank.

I don�t believe we�ve ever seen this work in production (as I pointed
out, this works correctly in our test environment).  I think we were all
accustomed to using the IP address until we recently set up an internal
DNS server and added the server names.  At that point we expected to be
able to use the server names rather than IP addresses when running the
utilities, and we noticed this problem.

This is NW 6.5 SP4 and happens (doesn�t work correctly) for all servers.

Thank you again.

> On 13/09/06 bdkmcgl@budget.state.ny.us wrote:
> > I don't believe this is a name resolution issue, as the login screens
> > do appear (which implies workstation DNS is fine),
>
> Not at all - client32 does not use DNS but SLP. Ping the server DNS name
> from a PC where iMan or NRM fails and confirm is can resolve the name.
>
> But what exactly do you mean by "when we attempt to login we get various
> failure messages"? What are they?
>
> Has this ever worked, and if so what change or update broke it?
>
> What NW and SP versions? Is this happening on all, some or one server?
> --
>  Andrew C Taubman
>  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
>  http://support.novell.com/forums
>  (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>
>  Opinions expressed above are not
>  necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
bdkmcgl
9/14/2006 12:31:56 PM
Some additional information.  This problem does not occur when using
Firefox browser.

> We are unable to login to iManager, Remote Manager, or a Dell utility
if
> we access any of them using the server name
(https://SRVR1/nps/imanager,
> https://SRVR1:8009, https://SRVR1:1311).  The login screens will
appear,
> but when we attempt to login we get various failure messages.
Everything
> works fine if we use the IP address instead.
>
> I don't believe this is a name resolution issue, as the login screens
do
> appear (which implies workstation DNS is fine), and the servers all
have
> each other listed in their host files, in addition to being configured
> use DNS.  Based on discussions I've read through I've ran PKIDIAG (no
> errors), check the Apache httpd.conf (servername entry is correct),
> lowered the security level in the browser, and confirmed public has
> applicable rights to sys:login directory.  SLP is configured and
working
> correctly as far as I can see.
>
> This problem does not exist in a test network we use, that is basically
> mirror image of our production configuration, unless this could be a
> routing issue of some sort, since the test network does not involve any
> of our switches, firewalls, etc.
>
> I am stumped, and am hoping someone can shed some light.
>
> Thank you.

0
bdkmcgl
9/14/2006 4:57:02 PM
So IE only? I don't know. Maybe it's set to go off to some proxy server
or something?