Server Performance slow

Client has a NetWare 6.5 server SP 7 or last one put out.  Lately the
server performance would drop to almost half the speed it was running
after about 3 hrs of up time, I cannot see anything that point to any
module or hardware that is causing this.
The PRB are where they are suppose to be.
The Dirty Cache is 0%
The only thing I can see is in the Busiest thread on the Kernel screen
there is a Server [numbered anywhere from 01 to 20] that shows up with
some fairly large numbers for memory usage.  What i'm trying to do is to
nail this down to what the actual application/module is.

On other screens there are supended semaphore.  Can anyone explain this
to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

--
jlmiller

jlmiller
4/10/2012 6:56:01 AM
novell.netware.6x.abends-hangs 6022 articles. 0 followers. Follow

jlmiller;2188013 Wrote:
> Client has a NetWare 6.5 server SP 7 or last one put out.  Lately the
> server performance would drop to almost half the speed it was running
> after about 3 hrs of up time, I cannot see anything that point to any
> module or hardware that is causing this.
> The PRB are where they are suppose to be.
> The Dirty Cache is 0%
> The only thing I can see is in the Busiest thread on the Kernel screen
> there is a Server [numbered anywhere from 01 to 20] that shows up with
> some fairly large numbers for memory usage.  What i'm trying to do is to
> nail this down to what the actual application/module is.
>
> On other screens there are supended semaphore.  Can anyone explain this
> to me?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jon

Latest update we got an abend
Server NWFS1 halted Tuesday, 10 April 2012   1:37:17.270 pm
Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.07: Nonmaskable Interrupt Processor
Exception (Error code 000000A0)

This shows up on serveral processes from Loader to Groupwise...

--
jlmiller
jlmiller's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=25963

0
jlmiller
4/10/2012 7:06:02 AM
Hi.

On 10.04.2012 09:06, jlmiller wrote:
> Latest update we got an abend
> Server NWFS1 halted Tuesday, 10 April 2012   1:37:17.270 pm
> Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.07: Nonmaskable Interrupt Processor
> Exception (Error code 000000A0)

A NMI is virtually always broken hardware. In your case (A0) it's
triggered by the PCI bus, so either the bus itself or some PCI card is
the most likely culprit.

> This shows up on serveral processes from Loader to Groupwise...

The module is irrelevant in a NMI abend. It can happen anytime, it's
triggered directly by the hardware, and as the name says, non maskable.
When a NMI occurs, the OS halts. Any OS.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 06:56:01 +0000, jlmiller wrote:

> Client has a NetWare 6.5 server SP 7 or last one put out.

Well, which is it? SP7 or SP8? It matters...

> The only thing I can see is in the Busiest thread on the Kernel screen
> there is a Server [numbered anywhere from 01 to 20] that shows up with
> some fairly large numbers for memory usage.  What i'm trying to do is to
> nail this down to what the actual application/module is.

You probably won't be able to. Those are "worker" threads, which have
been called from some other process to do something. If the other process
is calling lots of them, then it has lots of things that need to be done,
but looking at the workers isn't going to tell you what those things are.

 David Gersic                                           dgersic_@_niu.edu
 Knowledge Partner                               http://forums.novell.com

 Please post questions in the forums.      No support provided via email.

0
David