NetWare 6.5 hanging (not abending) following SP3 install

We've got three identical ACER Altos R701 servers running NetWare 6.5. They
all worked flawlessly on SP2. To fix a GroupWise problem we installed SP3
on all three.

One of the three now hangs - not abends(nothing in the abend.log and no
messages on the consoles screen) - between 5 and 20 minutes after a restart
and has done so since the first restart after installing SP3 about 2 weeks ago.

Do a hard reset and it starts and runs OK for another 15-20 minutes or even
a day or 2 before it happens again.

Symptoms include:

** After the hang you can move around the console screens on the server
using Alt + Esc,  but can't do anything at all and neither can any users

** Type a command at the console prompt (eg inetcfg) and it does not respond

** CPU Utilization goes up to 43% and stays there, but the clock still
ticks over

We've replaced both the motherboard and RAM, but it made no difference. We
are thinking of trying a new SCSI controller or backing out of SP3.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions?

Ian
0
ian
5/26/2005 11:09:34 PM
novell.netware.6x.abends-hangs 6022 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Update: I have reverted to SP2, but the problem persists. I've another call
in with ACER - maybe we'll try replacing the SCSCI controller.

> We've got three identical ACER Altos R701 servers running NetWare 6.5. They
> all worked flawlessly on SP2. To fix a GroupWise problem we installed SP3
> on all three.
>
> One of the three now hangs - not abends(nothing in the abend.log and no
> messages on the consoles screen) - between 5 and 20 minutes after a restart
> and has done so since the first restart after installing SP3 about 2
weeks ago.

> Do a hard reset and it starts and runs OK for another 15-20 minutes or even
> a day or 2 before it happens again.
>
> Symptoms include:
>
> ** After the hang you can move around the console screens on the server
> using Alt + Esc,  but can't do anything at all and neither can any users
>
> ** Type a command at the console prompt (eg inetcfg) and it does not respond
>
> ** CPU Utilization goes up to 43% and stays there, but the clock still
> ticks over
>
> We've replaced both the motherboard and RAM, but it made no difference. We
> are thinking of trying a new SCSI controller or backing out of SP3.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions?
>
> Ian

0
ian
5/29/2005 11:00:16 PM
We've been experiencing a similar thing with our HP/Compaq servers.  They
ran just fine with SP2 but ever since we installed SP3 they hang after a
while.  What we've noticed is that the Available Cache Buffers is VERY low
compared to usual.  We try to follow the old standard of maintaining
Available Cache Buffers at 75% or more of Original Cache buffers.  After
installing SP3, the Available Cache Buffers dropped to less than 25% of
Original on every server on which we installed the patch.  This is how they
come up as soon as the server is booted!  They run for a few days but
eventually hang completely and have to be power-cycled.  I haven't noticed
increased CPU utilization on our servers but this is extremely frustrating.

0
dcooney
5/31/2005 4:49:49 PM
Next time it happens try to get into the debugger with
shift-shift-alt-esc - this often works even if no other keys do. If
nothing happens you almost certainly have a hardware fault.
If you get to a # prompt you are in the debugger, it could be software
or hardware. Do ? <enter> to see what module the hang happened in. If it
always hangs in the same module it is likely to be a problem with that
module, if it is always different modules it is likely to be a hardware
fault. Enter Q <enter> to exit the debugger to Dos.
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
6/1/2005 4:00:04 AM
dcooney,

> while.  What we've noticed is that the Available Cache Buffers is VERY low
> compared to usual.  We try to follow the old standard of maintaining
> Available Cache Buffers at 75% or more of Original Cache buffers.

75% cache buffers is not a good standard anymore - especially with NSS
volumes in the mix. What sort of volumes do you have? And how much
memory in the server.

There are some memory management issues with SP3 that are being
addressed by a new server.exe - hopefully out next week.

For general tuning tips for the memory issue take a look at:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10096649.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10091980.htm

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish

Web resources about - NetWare 6.5 hanging (not abending) following SP3 install - novell.netware.6x.abends-hangs