Service Packs

I have a couple of questions regarding installing a Service Pack for NW
5.   On Novell's site, I only see one SP for NW 5.  It is SP6a, I think.

1.  Is SP6a the only SP for NW5?  What happen to previous Service Packs
for NW5?

2.  I read some horror stories about installing SP6a, specifically
after the installation, drivers or files don't work anymore or they get
corrupted after you install SP6a.  Is this true? What is the best way to
install SP6a so I don't run into this problem?

3.  Before I install SP6a, do I have to "prep" the Netware server?
Meaning do I have to install any files before installing the actual
Service Pack?  I don't want to find out after it is too late that SP6a
corrupted some files.

4. I logon to NW5 via the client, how do I install the Service Pack
from this point on?

Please be specific with your answers.   Thanks.

--
jkbmjp1

jkbmjp1

Jkbmjp1,
> 1.  Is SP6a the only SP for NW5?  What happen to previous Service Packs
> for NW5?

Service packs are cumulative. Ie you need only apply the latest.

> 2.  I read some horror stories about installing SP6a, specifically
> after the installation, drivers or files don't work anymore or they get
> corrupted after you install SP6a.  Is this true? What is the best way to
> install SP6a so I don't run into this problem?

The only issue I know of is if you install SP6 on a system that never had
any service packs installed. In that case you absolutely needed to first
install Sp6, then nici157 (iirc) without rebooting i between.

> 3.  Before I install SP6a, do I have to "prep" the Netware server?
> Meaning do I have to install any files before installing the actual
> Service Pack?  I don't want to find out after it is too late that SP6a
> corrupted some files.

Not before, but you might have to update hardware specific drivers, again
that will depend on the actual server.

> 4. I logon to NW5 via the client, how do I install the Service Pack
> from this point on?

Specific instructions for installing all service packs are included in the
servicepack readme.

> Please be specific with your answers.   Thanks.

That is as specific I can be since it has been over 10 years since I had
to install NW5..

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/27/2010 7:15:09 PM
With NW50SP6a you must also install: os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe,
flsysft3.exe, ts524o.exe, and Set client file caching enabled=Off.

OS5PT2A.EXE     'NOVELL: Downloads - Updated Server.exe to resolve PIII
Issue' (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=18WcZztKJzg~)
FLSYSFT3.EXE    'NOVELL: Downloads - Partner File for FILESYS.NLM'
(http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=EybsIbMAQjI~)
WSOCK4F.EXE     http://download.npsh.hu/patches/wsock4f.exe
TS524O.EXE      http://download.npsh.hu/patches/ts524o.exe

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=419502

0
ataubman
8/30/2010 12:36:02 AM
Andrew,

Do I install these files BEFORE or after you install SP6a?   Have you
heard of any horror stories regarding post installation of SP6a?  Does
these files take care of any problems after you install SP6a?

--
jkbmjp1
jkbmjp1's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=54098
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=419502

0
jkbmjp1
8/31/2010 6:36:02 PM
Jkbmjp1,
> Do I install these files BEFORE or after you install SP6a?

After as the are labelled "Post Sp6a". And again, the only real gotcha
is the nici157 one:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/qna/992.html

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/31/2010 7:22:50 PM
jkbmjp1;2017189 Wrote:
> Andrew,
> Do I install these files BEFORE or after you install SP6a?
As they are post-SP6a patches you install them post-SP6a
> Have you heard of any horror stories regarding post installation of
> SP6a?
Not that I can recall, but it's been a looooong time.
> Does these files take care of any problems after you install SP6a?
Naturally, why else would they exist? Novell don't produce patches that
have no purpose.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=419502

0
ataubman
8/31/2010 11:36:03 PM
Yes, I understand that Novell doesn't create patches just for the fun of
it.   Microsoft creates fixes for one thing or another but causes a
"hidden" problem with something else.  Sometimes, not all the time.  I
am not off the mark in asking if these patches you suggested takes care
of any post SP6a issues.  Sometimes fixing one problem with a SP,
hotfix, an update, etc... causes another problem that you don't see
right away or you might encounter down the road.

--
jkbmjp1
jkbmjp1's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=54098
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=419502

0
jkbmjp1
9/2/2010 7:06:02 PM
> if these patches you suggested takes care of any post SP6a issues.
> Sometimes fixing one problem with a SP, hotfix, an update, etc... causes
> another problem that you don't see right away or you might encounter
> down the road.
They all definitely fix problems that exist in SP6a. While I cannot
absolutely guarantee that none of them introduce a single new problem,
I'm not aware of any, and I can guarantee they fix far more problems
than they might cause. I would not have recommended them if they caused
severe problems, or more problems than they fixed.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=419502

0
ataubman
9/3/2010 12:06:02 AM
Ataubman,
> I would not have recommended them if they caused
> severe problems, or more problems than they fixed.

Neither would I and as I said, the only common problem I am aware of is
the nici-one and that is easily fixed if you follow the instructions.