Recreating DOS Partition after RAID failure

A RAID failure has left me with no DOS partition but a functioning
Netware 5 Partition. The server will not boot.  Can the DOS partition be
recreated to provide me access to the Netware file system?  Is there
another method to access the filesystem to retrieve the documents?

Thanks...

James

--
jmathias

jmathias

Jmathias,
> A RAID failure has left me with no DOS partition but a functioning
> Netware 5 Partition. The server will not boot.  Can the DOS partition be
> recreated to provide me access to the Netware file system?  Is there
> another method to access the filesystem to retrieve the documents?

Easiest would be to copy it from an existing, functioning server. All you
need is the correct disk drivers to mount SYS

--
Anders Gustafsson  (NKP)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
12/9/2011 5:43:35 AM
I'm pretty late to this party, but oh well.....

If your DOS partition is totally hosed, but you suspect the NetWare
partition is intact, you can initialized an re-install the DOS partition
without otuching the NetWare one. It requires the NetWare 5.x
installation CD and a blank diskette. One presumes you have a diskette
drive, how else did you get your NetWare licenses installed? Possible
answer: you updated to new CPU box but brought over the same disks and
or host adapter. Anyways, as Anders says, you also need a driver (.dsk
or .ham) for your disk controller.

1. Download a slipstream ISO for NetWare 5 to the support pack level
you beleive your server was at. If yuo don't know, last version was SP8.
Burn that image to a CD.

2. Boot from the CD, selelct the 'Create a bootable diskette' option,
and do just that.

3. Re-boot from the diskette. Use the external Format command located
in DOSTOOLS folder. FORMAT C: /S/U. This will initialize the DOS
partition and make it bootable once again.

4. Re-boot to the install CD. Answer that you are performing a new
server install. Tell it to keep the existing DOS partition. Proceed with
the install until it proceeds to copy all files into the DOS partition
and boots to NetWare as Temporary_server:. Abort the install at this
point.

5. Re-boot to Drive C. CD\NWSERVER and SERVER.EXE -NL. LOAD your disk
driver. MOUNT SYS:

0--- FlyBoy ---o

1.

--
BDR

BDR

Netware 6.5
Hi All I'm having an strange problem on a brand new IBM machine. I ceated a FAT16 1GB MS-DOS 6.2 boot partition. It booted and worked normally. When I tried to boot of Netware 6.5 sp2 overlay disk everything worked fine till partway through the install when it stopped saying there was no DOS partition. This happened before any drivers were loaded and before there were any messages about creating an dos partition or that one existed. I then tried installing from an original Novell NW6.5 CD media with no sp2. The install went as expected. DR-DOS partition was created, we went throu...

Partitioning failure on install
I have a colleague whose XP laptop got a nasty bit of BHO malware. After bragging that I could get rid of it, I spent many hours in failure. Basically, it is a browser hijacker that won't go away. The solutions I find online go back to 2003 and require that I develop an equation to reconcile dark matter with anti-matter. I installed 4 different commercial "solutions" that didn't work. Giving up on fixing it, I tried to install 11.4 from a Live-CD. Accepting the suggested partitioning scheme, I was about to stand up, go away, and let opensuse do its thing. Imm...

Netware 6 installation failure
I am trying to install netware 6 on a new Dell PE2950 with a quad core xeon processor and 4 GB of ram. I get through creating a boot partition and then it just loops over and over after the reboot. I can load other OS's (read MS server 2003 and linux) on this server just fine. Any ideas? Thanks, MO -- monion ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Monion, > I am trying to install netware 6 on a new Dell PE2950 with a quad core > xeon processor and 4 GB of ram. I get through creating a boot > partition and then it just...

netware 5x internet router installed
I just installed a DSL line into our office, and plugged it into our existing netware 5x network. I'm having sporatic restults, once a week one or two computers just can't get connected to anything (the network seems to just die). To fix i must unplug the linksys router and - re-plug. Any ideas? Here is the setup: DSL Modem Linksys Router (10.0.0.4 IP, 255.255.255.0 Subnet Mask) Linksys 16 port Switch (MDX-I on) Netware 5x Server, IP 10.0.0.1 (subnet 255.0.0.0) 5-6 computers (running Windows 98SE, and Windows XP Pro) plugged into 16 port switch, running Novell client,...

Copy install files to dos partition?
What format/structure would I use to copy the OS and Product CDs onto a HD to install NW65 from? I would like to copy them to the 2 gig dos boot partions of my server and run the install from there. Would I copy them to and OS and PROD directory, or everything to a single dir, or just the root? I have been installing a lot of NW65 to test hardware configurations. In order to speed up the install process I copied all the files and folders from the NW65OSSP2 and NWPRODSP2 CDs onto the root of a IDE HD. There was some overlap of files but they seemed the same ver on both CDs...

Install option to Boot Dos or NetWare
Hi I just noticed during a custom install I could boot Dos or the NetWare Kernel. That sounded new to me and I could not find a lot of info on it. Does it work well? Advantages? Recommended? I did not know I could do that. Actually is not really new: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10092263.htm -- Peter eDirectory Rules! Personally, I'm old school so still like the DOS method .. -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Rebuilding DOS partition on Netware Server
Hello: I have a Netware 6 SP5 server/HPDL380/Groupwise 6.5 on my network.I�m getting this error : Netware Configuration File Transfer Cache TO DOS Error:0x53.I�ve checked support. I found a TID(10096495) that says that I have to recreate the DOS partition, because it�s corrupted.Somebody has experiencied this problem before?How can I recreate the partition with the same configuration drivers.Could the DOScontents of the DOS partition be different bacause of the Groupwise. Thanks in advance. Albert, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a ...

Rebuilding DOS partition on Netware server
Hello: I have a Netware 6 SP5 server/HPDL380/Groupwise 6.5 on my network.I�m getting this error : Netware Configuration File Transfer Cache TO DOS Error:0x53.I�ve checked support. I found a TID(10096495) that says that I have to recreate the DOS partition, because it�s corrupted.Somebody has experiencied this problem before?How can I recreate the partition with the same configuration drivers.Could the DOScontents of the DOS partition be different bacause of the Groupwise. Thanks in advance. Albert, It appears that in the past few days you have not receiv...

netware 6.5 install failure
I downloaded all of the files for the eval version of 6.5 and made the image cds as directed. When I boot from the cd1, the install begins, but when it comes to the storage media drivers part, it won't accept the idecd driver for the cdrom drive and says it can't detect a cdrom (this when it booted from the cdrom drive in the first place.) I tried choosing different cdrom drivers, to no avail. The server is a p4 with 768mb ram. Also, I first tried installing my old netware 5 version on the same pc and it hung up during the install when it came to the lan drivers part. I w...

Intel raid partition dissapeared after install.
So, I am really hoping I can get some help here, this is my first post, in a long time, but I love osl, My problem is one, and simple, I have toughed threw everything, except the ability to get my intel raid partition back, no one else seems to have had any success with this either, the raid part was there during install, it is ntfs, and there is no way to not use raid, the size is just too big.. if someone can give me a simple detailed howto, you'd make me very happy, thanks in advance, -- ghostcyber ------------------------------------------------------------...

oes install when raid is separate partition
I have a NW5.6sp7 server where sys is on its own disk, and my raid is a powervault that contains my NSS volumes. I have one tree with one partiion. I want to keep it in the same context as the existing server. I want to know if its possible to follow this article 'Cool Solutions: Printer Driver Generator 1.2.0.0' (http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/13952.html) I do not have NBO, which he references in the article. If not this, what are my options when I have no new hardware. -- StacieWhite ------------------------------------------------------------------...

Netware 65 DOS partition size 8GB
HEllo, I have an HP ML370 I need to create a DOS boot partition of 8GB. According to Novell this can be done. HP says they only support a 2GB DOS boot partition. Does anyone have a how to in order to create an 8GB DOS boot partition? thank you precision64@yahoo.com. > Does anyone have a how to in order to create an 8GB DOS boot partition? You can't - DOS won't address more than 2GB. Where does Novell say you can create an 8GB one ? -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. http://haitch.net (Please, no email unless requested. Unsol...

Can I view DOS side of partition, in Netware?
I will dare to resurrect a very old subject, in Netware. I have a newly built Netware 4.11+sp9 server, with a DOS partition of about 300 MB... far too large for wholesale copying to-or-from floppy diskettes. There are directories on the DOS partition whose structures and contents I would like to copy and save... or change, on rare occasions. I can mechanize a new (write-able) CDROM drive that operates under DOS. Is there any way to write to the CDROM drive? I never knew of DOS software that could do that. I realize I could make the DOS partition into a DOS client of -ano...

Web resources about - Recreating DOS Partition after RAID failure - novell.netware.5x.install

Recreating the Sounds of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop Using the Web Audio API
Audio is the final nail in Flash’s coffin. Great work here from the BBC. (Via Jory Prum .

Recreating The Simpsons kitchen - YouTube
Calgary couple takes design inspiration from Marge Simpson For more: http://www.cbc.ca/1.3175986 »»» Subscribe to CBC News to watch more videos: ...

Recreating the magic of Monkey in classic quest story
It's a true classic - a moral tale, a road story, a quest that has spiritual and religious connotations and a lot of fun, director says.

Filed under: Classics , Coupe , Sedan , Performance , Etc. , Dodge , Ford Of all the excellent car chases in cinema history, the Dodge Charger ...

Recreating photos from the day of John F. Kennedy’s assassination
Archives , Nation , World 50th anniversary , Brendan Smialowski , Getty Images , Historic Photos , John F. Kennedy 19 Photos Fifty years after ...

Recreating the sound of Tutankhamun's trumpets
Tutankhamun's trumpet was one of the rare artefacts stolen from the Cairo Museum during the recent uprising, adding poignancy to the story of ...

Sports & Recreating Briefs for March 7
Sports & Recreating Briefs for March 7 Belvoir Eagle For more information contact Richard Herman at (703) 975- 1222 or Jerry Arrington at (703) ...

Recreating Classic Beauty
... Take Brigitte Bardot, for example. She was a beauty icon in the '60s, but her look is still so relevant today. There is something about recreating ...

The Purpose of Unit Tests Is Not Recreating the Entire Running Environment
One of the "Aha!" experiences/epiphanies of a programmer I was working with, was the realization that a unit test only needs to test a "unit". ...

"In order to provide a better understanding of what Christ would have looked like, in 1998, Richard Neave ...
"To do so, he began examining the skulls of Semites from around Galilee in Northern Israel from the beginning of the first century....."