Questions about file ownership

In order to overcome NDS replication problems after an upgrade, we
needed to
remove and re-install NDS on one of our file servers. As a result, the

owners of the all files on every volume including SYS have changed and
are
now random objects.  The only exception were those owned by
[Supervisor] -
they remained unchanged.

Since we didn't have a good backup, we plan to restore correct
ownership to
the files manually, using another new server as a model.  In testing,
discovered that it is easy to change the ownership of a file from
[Supervisor], but difficult to set it back. Is it important that those
files
remain owned by [Supervisor]?  We have downed and restarted this
server
several times in it's current condition without ant problems so it
appears
that system files do not necessarily need to be owned by Admin or the
Server
object. How critical is it that we re assign ownership to these files?
assume if the owner object is deleted and the file is "orphaned",
problems
may arise, but for the most part is it important whether a file is
owned by
Admin or the server object?

David Crystal

0
David

Duplicate post. Please do not post the same query in multiple forums,
thank you.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp

 OneNet is better than nothing.NET

 Opinions expressed in the above text are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew