Netware 6.5 Licenses on Netware 5

Hi,

We had the need to add 5 user licenses to our Netware 5 server. We knew
these were no longer available but were informed that Netware 6.5
licenses are backwardly computable. We purchased an additional 5 Netware
6.5 user licenses and added them to our tree using NWadmin.
I read in various forums that 6.5 user licenses aren't assigned to a
server I left it at that. An hour later they were still not being used.
It then occurred to me that Netware 5 may not be able to deal with
unassigned licenses so I have assigned them to the correct server. Again
having left it about an hour they are still not being used. I've always
found Netware licensing a bit of a black art, hence leaving it for an hour.
1)Do 6.5 User licenses work with 5? (Three different suppliers told me
it did)
2)If so have I applied them correctly?
3)Do I need to do anything else or am I being inpatient, and have to wait?

Thanks in advance

Ian Young
IT
Graphic PLC

0
Ian

Ian,

You could leave the licenses for a long time and they will never be used.
The licenses are not backward compatible and are version specific.
--
Dave Lunn
NSC SysOp

0
Dave
5/21/2004 1:11:38 PM
While reading this post, I found something interesting and wanted to
clarify.  In 6.5, you said that the licenses are unassigned.  Does this mean
that novell has finally gone to a pooled license stragety.  If so, how does
it work.  Does it assign one license per user or is it still one license per
user per server.  Also, does it assign the license and then return them when
they are no longer in use or is it a by seat style like MS.  Thanks for the
help, this seems like a really good change for netware.

Galen

"Ian Young" <Ian@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We had the need to add 5 user licenses to our Netware 5 server. We knew
> these were no longer available but were informed that Netware 6.5
> licenses are backwardly computable. We purchased an additional 5 Netware
> 6.5 user licenses and added them to our tree using NWadmin.
> I read in various forums that 6.5 user licenses aren't assigned to a
> server I left it at that. An hour later they were still not being used.
> It then occurred to me that Netware 5 may not be able to deal with
> unassigned licenses so I have assigned them to the correct server. Again
> having left it about an hour they are still not being used. I've always
> found Netware licensing a bit of a black art, hence leaving it for an
hour.
> 1)Do 6.5 User licenses work with 5? (Three different suppliers told me
> it did)
> 2)If so have I applied them correctly?
> 3)Do I need to do anything else or am I being inpatient, and have to wait?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ian Young
> IT
> Graphic PLC

0
Galen
5/21/2004 8:56:42 PM
On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:56:42 GMT, "Galen Yalch" <gyalch@nwrg.com>
wrote:

>While reading this post, I found something interesting and wanted to
>clarify.  In 6.5, you said that the licenses are unassigned.  Does this mean
>that novell has finally gone to a pooled license stragety.  If so, how does
>it work.  Does it assign one license per user or is it still one license per
>user per server.  Also, does it assign the license and then return them when
>they are no longer in use or is it a by seat style like MS.

Starting with NetWare 6.0, standard licensing is per-uer, one license
consumed by each user in the tree, no matter how may servers the user
connects to in the tree.  However, the license 'sticks' to the user
until 90 days after the last time the user authenticates to the tree.

NW 6.0 requires a unique server license for each server in the tree.
NW 6.5 uses one server license for up to 1000 servers in the same
container.

NW 6.x Small Business and academic licensing is more like the old
model.

---------------
Donald Albury
Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp
Sorry, no replies to e-mail responses

"The universe is not only queerer than we
suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."
J. B. S. Haldane
0
Donald
5/22/2004 12:10:13 AM
>were informed that Netware 6.5 licenses are backwardly computable (sic)

Who told you this? It is totally untrue. You have never ever been able to
use NW licenses for different versions of NW. Perhaps they thought you were
asking if NW 5.0 and 6.5 could work in the same tree, which they can.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
5/24/2004 12:30:18 AM
Hi All,

Thanks to you all for your responses and my apologies for the delay in
replying, I've been away.

I contacted the supplier who admitted that a mistake had been made and
has now supplied the correct Netware 5 licenses.

Best Regards

Ian Young
0
Ian

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

installing netware 6.5 cluster into exisiting netware 5 tree.

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers into a existing Netware 5 environment
We currently have a Netware 5 environment using sp4/sp5 We also have the original cluster services 1.01 running under netware 5. We intend to install a new SAN which will be clustered using 2 new Netware 6.5 Servers. What is the best approach to installing Netware 6.5 in our current environment, should I install the new Netware 6.5 Servers into a new tree, but then how will they communicate with the exisiting Netware 5 Servers. Can I install the Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting 5 environment and then in the future upgrade the current 5 Servers. Thankyou and best regards ...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade
Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? (I want to replace a server) Thanks Kumar On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:32:33 GMT, kumars@gotafe.vic.edu.au wrote: >Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available >for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? >(I want to replace a server) The Migration Wizard v. 8 (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=nMihwfdEES8~) will do this for you. --------------- Donald Albury Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp Sorry, no replies to e-mail respon...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #2
We currently have a Netware 5.0 network running sp4. Included in this is a 2 server netware 5 cluster running the original 1.0 cluster services. We intend to install another SAN which will be a 2 server Netware 6.5 cluster. Is it ok to install netware 6.5 with exisiting Netware5 Servers? I believe we need to apply the nwsp56a patch to all our Netware 5 Server first. is this correct?. Do you apply it to the master first as this is a cluster server? Also I am concerned that when I apply the nw5sp6a patch to our exisiting Netware 5 Cluster servers it will cause problems with them...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #3
Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree Regards. Duplicate, answered above. PHIL.BEC@CULTURE.GOV.UK wrote: > > Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server > ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree > Regards. -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de ...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers in a existing Netware 5.0 network
I need to install two new Netware 6.5 Servers into my current Netware 5.0 network with Service packs 4/5. What updates do I need to apply to the Netware 5.0 Servers and do I download the nw65sp1b overlay file only and use that to run deployment manager, or do I have to install sp1 first. Also can you purchase nw65 licenses seperately Thanking you in advance for help given. Regards. As a minimum the 5.0 servers need nw50sp6a, os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe, flsysft3.exe, ts524o.exe, and Set client file caching enabled=Off. The DS version would preferably be edir851.exe plus edir8530.e...

Web resources about - Netware 6.5 Licenses on Netware 5 - novell.netware.5x.install

License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
) refers to that permission as well as to the document recording that permission. A license may be granted by a party ("licensor") to another ...

JFK license plates sell for $100,000 at auction
Filed under: Etc. , Government/Legal , Auctions An auction house in Dallas has sold the original license plates that marked President John F. ...

Woman allowed to wear spaghetti strainer on her head in Mass. license photo - The Boston Globe Woman ...
A woman who identifies herself as a Pastafarian has succeeded in her bid to wear a colander on her head in her driver’s license photo.

Zenefits could be in big trouble for allegedly letting its salespeople sell insurance without a license ...
... valued at $4.5 billion, is under investigation in Washington state for allowing salespeople to sell health insurance without the proper licenses, ...

White Wolf can still license World of Darkness to other publishers
... Wolf and Paradox’s relationship is a bit more fluid that we may have expected it to have been. When asked about whether White Wolf could license ...

NCC rejects Global Mobile to renew WiMAX license
Taiwan's National Communications Commission (NCC) on November 10 rejected an application by Global Mobile to renew its WiMAX license which will ...

Cox Strikes Deal With Comcast to License X1 Set Top Tech -
Cox has signed an agreement with Comcast corporation to license the cable giant's X1 set top box technology. According to Cox, the new set tops ...

Donald Trump's Real Secret To Riches: Create A Brand And License It
Last July, The Trump Ocean Club International Hotel and Tower in Panama City was struggling under $2.2 million in unauthorized debts run up by ...

Pastafarian woman gets to wear strainer on head in Massachusetts license photo
Pastafarian woman gets to wear strainer on head in Massachusetts license photo

Pastafarian Woman Wins Battle To Get To Wear Pasta Strainer On Head In Driver's License Photo
Pastafarian Lindsay Miller just won her appeal to be allowed to wear a pasta strainer on her head in her driver's license photo, because she ...