NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question

I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network.  They have a main location
with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple
locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which
are all part of the same tree.  They are looking to upgrade to NetWare
6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5.  They are also going to have one new
additional server when they upgrade.  I am wondering which would be
better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and
migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old
servers and rejoin them to the new tree.... OR ... Join the new NetWare
6.5 server to the old tree after preparing it with the proper OS and
edirectory upgrades, then upgrade each individual server to NetWare 6.5.
I am curious which would be best, but also what would be involved with
either scenario....should we choose that path.

Thanks,
Brad

0
bphelps
2/20/2004 9:37:36 PM
📁 novell.netware.5x.install
📃 3340 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 812 Views

That can be the beauty of NetWare.  There are so many ways to get the
desired results.
If you re-create the tree you will either have to use the NDS-to-NDS
connector to get the user IDs over or re-create the users with new
passwords.  You would then have to recreate rights, groups, etc.  On
the plus side you will be able to leave the obsolete objects behind.
I have clients who have or are doing both.
--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant