Netware 5.1 new install to replace old machine

Hello everyone, I've been running Netware 5.1 for years, and it's time
to replace the old machine with newer one. I selected a 32bit Supermicro
server with Adaptec RAID 2120s. I found the proper drivers and my
install makes it all the way to where it adends right where I need to
launch the GUI. Says lack of memory for Java but I have 2GB installed.

I can run NWconfig from prompt and even mirror drives, but can't find
where to name my server.  Anybody have ideas? do I need more memory?

I'm retired and I run netware cause it's so solid and I can log in to
get files from any machine in the house. The old machine I built 1998
and I decided to replace the machine but hopefully keep my Netware. Tim
Alderman Oakland CA

--
talder

talder

You don't happen to have any memory drivers loaded on the DOS boot side, do you?

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671

0
talder
8/10/2010 10:36:02 PM
talder wrote:

> Is there a problem with Netware 5.1 being
> to old to run on a Xeon machine?

Oh yeah likely ... it doesn't "like" the newer hardware, that's for sure.
A generally suggested workaround is to run it as a virtual machine, such
as using VMWare Server (http://www.vmware.com) or VirtualBox
(http://www.virtualbox.org); both are available for free.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

talder wrote:

> Clean install, Fdisk removed all partitions, boot from Novell 5.1 OS CD.

Hopefully the SP8 overlay, and not the original shipping 5.1???

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

--

talder wrote:

> Unfortunately, Original shipping CD.  Is there a place to get
> replacement or do I have to buy newer version?

You never have to buy service packs.

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=t006GFCPuVI~

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
8/11/2010 4:11:06 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW!  What a difference a new CD makes!  Even those drivers I
took WEEKS to find were all right in there, and talk about FAST.. the
files transferred so fast I couldn't even read them..    I was able to
install the license and get to console one.  As I type this the two RAID
5 arrays are mirroring. (when done every one of my 6 machines will be
raid mirrored)

Since this is a later version (SP8) should I treat it as an upgrade?  I
want to migrate my NDS and all files then put the old server to rest. I
have to study my manuals if this is what I need to do next.

I first registered this product on 3-15-2000 so that old guy lasted
more than a decade, been through 3 power supplies 4 hard drives and the
LAN RJ45 is just about to fall out.

ANYWAY THANKS you folks saved my netware and I cannot thank you enough.
Tim Alderman Oakland CA

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=417835

0
talder
8/13/2010 4:36:02 AM
talder wrote:

> Since this is a later version (SP8) should I treat it as an upgrade?

Depends on your viewpoint - do you consider (say) Windows XP/SP3 an
"upgrade" of Windows XP (stock)?

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
talder wrote:

> want to migrate my NDS and all files then put the old server to rest. I
> have to study my manuals if this is what I need to do next.

It would be easier, IMHO, to simply install the new server into the same
NDS tree (then you don't need to "migrate" NDS at all). Copy your files
over (making sure trustees etc are maintained). Make the new server to
host the Master of your replica, uninstall the old server from NDS, and
turn it off ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

Next I tried migrate as shown on page 78 of the installation guide. The
SP8 CD created from your downloadable image, above,  has no directory
under: Start Menu> Programs> Novell> Products> Novell Upgrade Wizard>
nor the file MIGWIN32.EXE.

However the original factory CD does have this file which I installed
in both my Windows2000 and Windows7 machines. I created a new tree, O,
OU and CN for the SP8 server as the wizard suggests and got it to accept
both old and new trees, using Netware 4 to 5.1 migration as there is no
5 to 5.1 available.

On both windows machines the wizard abends. In 2000 it just hangs every
time. in windows 7, I get the following message: "the ordinal 3057 could
not be located in dynamic link library NETWIN32.DLL.  So much for
migrating.

Next I tried to work around not getting into console one on the new
server by trying to find windows executable file NWADMN32.EXE. there is
none on the new sp8 disk, and the older versions also lack DLL companion
files and won't start.

My final thought was to find an NDS manager on the new server, trying
to find SETUPNDS.NLM, but it isn't found.

I am so close but still cannot find a way to migrate nor finish
creating NDS on the new machine. So far the old machine is still hanging
in there. Yet I fear taking it down or losing power lest it not come
back up again. It's been running continuously for over a year and a half
now.

Thank you for continued replies. Tim Alderman Oakland CA USA

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=417835

0
talder
8/15/2010 1:36:02 PM
I've decided to follow the above instructions after solving:
1) I installed the SP8 version EXACTLY as shown in the manual, using
their
example texts, to see what I was doing wrong. When I got done, I was
finally able to log into CONSOLE ONE on the first try.  This taught me
was adding to much.

2) While I cannot get the migrate program to work on any machine, I
did discover that the old windows2000 machine does load NWADMN32
and the NDS manager IF I use windows explorer to go to the SYS\
PUBLIC\WIN32 directory to launch those two programs.  Using a shortcut
to the desktop, nor anything I do in windows7, works.

3) Between those two old programs (vintage 1998) I was able to clean
up the mess I had created with failed server installs by deleting.
And
also verify the MASTER license is on the old machine and a copy on
the new one.  Thank goodness for IPX!

Once the new machine finishes mirroring, I'm going to try transferring
files and objects and seeing if I access them from workstations.

The final step Peter identified but didn't say how to make the new
server
license MASTER, nor how to change the file server name once the old
one
is offline. Only then will I feel good powering it down.

It's been a long road but now I recall why a decade ago I spent a
grand
for software for my home.  There's nothing like Netware..

Tim Alderman Oakland CA

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=417835

0
talder
8/16/2010 5:40:11 PM
talder wrote:

> idn't say how to make the new
> server
> license MASTER,

I think you mean by partition/replica here and not license? You can use
NDS Manager to make the switch - (going from memory here) simply highlight
the Read/Write, right-click and select Master (or Promote to Master or
such).

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
talder wrote:

> change the file server name

The server name is set in the AUTOEXEC.NCF (along with the Internal IPX
Address etc) found in SYS:SYSTEM ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

Of course autoexec.ncf is a key file, accessed by nwconfig.nlm. In
there it has a WARNING: 'If you change the name of the server, you must
update all licenses assigned. Using nwadmin, double-click on a licensed
object and click on assignments button. If the old name appears, you
must delete it and then add the new server name. Do this for all
licensed objects'.

First step, find definition of 'licensed object'. Not in the manuals,
nor in the glossary on the Novell.com web site, can I find what this
means. I tried every single object in nwadmin, and when each opens,
there is no 'assignment' button.

Changing the server name, IP address is no big deal. getting the
license to agree, is huge.  How huge?  Well, if I remove the old server
from the LAN the new one starts beeping, like every 5 seconds. The
console says 'lost communication' with old server.    Now I CAN log into
the new server from any workstation by assigning new drive letters,
etc., with the old server offline. But that beeping in the cellar will
drive me nuts and I don't know how to stop it.

In your last comment you said to transpose the master/slave licenses
between servers. Somehow, I stumbled across that and did it.  Did it
stop the beeping?  Not a chance.

If I could stop that beeping, everything else seems to be done.
Or, transfer the license back, Fdisk the new server, and start over one
more time.   I'm getting good at this.

Tim Alderman

P.s. even when done I'm keeping that old server and my windows 2000
workstation machine, intact. they work so well together, just need
rest.

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=417835

0
talder
8/18/2010 1:06:03 AM
talder wrote:

> license to agree, is huge.  How huge?  Well, if I remove the old server
> from the LAN the new one starts beeping, like every 5 seconds. The
> console says 'lost communication' with old server.    Now I CAN log into

You didn't remove the replica that is on the old server, did you?
Otherwise, from the replica ring "configuation", the new server would
still think the other server holds the R/W (if you have swapped the
replica type) and tries to find it ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
talder wrote:

> First step, find definition of 'licensed object'. Not in the manuals,
> nor in the glossary on the Novell.com web site, can I find what this
> means. I tried every single object in nwadmin, and when each opens,
> there is no 'assignment' button.

You should see the servername_NLS object in the tree - and if you don't
have the Licensing snapin installed for NWAdmin, you will still see the
objects but they will have a black/white "?" icon instead. Without a valid
license file installed, you would still have 2 connections allowed (known
as "runtime license") to the new server.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

Thanks to your help, the above has been done.  What prevents me from
shutting down the old server is that keeping.   Can I somehow go into
NWADMN while logged on the new server and delete the objects
found that relate to the old server?  Will that stop the beeping
so I can call this project DONE?

Time synchronization, which is what it's beeping about, doesn't
matter to me, I can look at the clock gadget on my windows desktop.

Tim Alderman, Oakland, CA USA, old netware sysop

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=417835

0
talder
8/19/2010 3:06:02 AM
THANKS Peter, for separating threads in this discussion.  When I bought
my  5.1
it came with a 5 user license disc on a floppy. I installed it as
prompted and thought that was it.  In ten years of running, not once has
the OS complained,
and yes at times I have had 3 users logged in (one being the Cheyenne
tape
backup which I used to use long ago).

I found 2 entries  as follows:
NLS_LSP_NEPTUNE (old server's name)
NLS_LSP_NEPTUNE2 (new)
The icon for these looks like  a server with a paper off the side.

AND.. right above that are four more icons, square buttons, as
follows:
Novell+NetWare 5 Conn SCL+510
SN:300483xxx (my serial number)
Novell+Netware 5  Server+510
SN:300483xxx

Clicking on EITHER serial number above I was surprized to find:
'Explanation:the specified license certificate is not a valid NLS
license certificate. '
'Suggested Action: Delete and reinstall the license certificate. If the
problem persists, contact your vendor. '
'Return code: 0xc004017 NLS_INVALID_CERTIFICATE'

Should I delete these and see if I can reinstall?

Tim Alderman Oakland CA

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=417835

0
talder
8/19/2010 3:36:01 AM
Yes, I would try to reinstall the license as I think the issue being
trying to install the same license twice ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
talder wrote:

> Remove the replica on old server? not hardly. My goal is to
> build a new server, copy the files, ensure that I can log into
> the new server from any workstation.

Recall that a replica is basically a "copy" of your tree. And when you
have two copies, they will communicate with each other and sync the
changes (such as password changes). So, if you simply turn one off or
taken it off line, the other will still think its up and tries to talk to
it .. thus your "The console says 'lost communication' with old server."
error.

Once you're happy that the new server is working, then you can "deinstall"
NDS from the old server - this just removes the tree data and will not
touch your data files - using NWCONFIG, and then remove that server.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=10056593&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=162550874&stateId=0%200%20162556048

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

The server was transferred, the process almost came to halt when I
discovered the power connector to the floppy drive on the source (old)
server had been partially disconnected, preventing me from
transferring
those all important 'NICI' files.   I had to take it down to fix that
but
fortunately that old hard drive had to spin up one more time. It did.

This ends this discussion thread. further comments, if any, should be
sent
to tim@electron.org   THANKS AGAIN

--
talder
talder's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91671
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=417835

0
talder
8/23/2010 4:06:01 AM
talder wrote:

> I had to take it down to fix that
> but
> fortunately that old hard drive had to spin up one more time. It did.

Whoohoooooo!

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

New Install Of NetWare 5.1 Locks Up On Install Of IDEATA.HAM
I am doing a fresh install of Netware 5.1 and am having a problem with the install locking up when it tries to install IDEATA.HAM It just sits on the Loading Driver... Please Wait screen. I am installing on a 80gig hard drive with a 2 gig boot partition. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks RHankins Your hardware might have an IDE controller that is incompatible iwth IDEATA.HAM. I suggest you try to do your install using the latest overlay CD available here: http://support.novell.com/tools/csp/csp12_nw51downloads.html -- Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.5.9) ...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

Install new NetWare 6.5 server into 5.1 tree
Are there any issues installing a new NetWare 6.5 server into a NetWare 5.1 tree? We are presently on eDir 8.73. Tom Murray, > Are there any issues installing a new NetWare 6.5 server into a NetWare 5.1 > tree? We are presently on eDir 8.73. > Yes. Run the deployment manager from the 6.5 SP2 overlay CD to prepare the tree. Then install edir8733.exe on the 6.5 server afterwards. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195 ...

installing netware 6 into netware 5.1 enviroment
we have now have 3 novell 5.1 servers all with service-pack-8 which means that DS.NLM is now version 8.85c I am trying to install a NEW novell netware 6.0 server into the existing NDS and when I get to the screen eDirectory-Installation I get a little window that says "eDirectory installing" and on the next day its still there....... I have tried installing the NEW server with novell 6.0 in a new TREE and it works perfectly (?) at least I can log-on to both TREEs and things like "Novell Server Consolidation Utility" seem to work OK. In order to install Nove...

Netware 5.1 new install
We had a r/w replica server crash and we removed it from our tree. We tried to build a new 5.1 server into our tree and the process hung at installing NDS. From a TID we came to the conclusion the hang was because of the NICI mismatch. We had originally decided to build a new server into its own temporary tree and patch to current levels on our production tree then remove DS and install DS (into our production tree.) We only have 1 5.1 server(master replica) currently in our tree. Now I am looking at overlay CD's (iso images) for support pack 7. Does any know if I can use an...

Installing new applications in Netware 5.1
I am new to this so please excuse me if this comes out wrong.I have installed Netware 5.1 and I am trying to load Brightstor.Am I able to install this from Console one or do I need to connect a pc and load it from the pc? , > and I am trying to load Brightstor.Am I able to > install this from Console one or do I need to connect a pc and load it > from the pc? > You run the install from a PC in that case - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Novell does not monitor these forums officially. Enhanc...

Installing one Netware 4.2 in a Netware 5.1 enviroment
We have to install a Netware 4.2 server in a Netware 5.1 SP6 enviroment with NDS Version 85.30 (Twenty 5.1 Servers). We also so have three Netware 6 servers with eDir 8.6.2 Can we do this? If so what patches and problems should we expect? BM Yes, you can do this. Apply SP9 after installing 4.2, then the latest DS update, v6.21. You can get them here: http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/nw4sp9.exe http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/ds621.exe Look for other patches you might want/need here: http://support.novell.com/filef...

Error installing Netware 5.1: line 9 in netware.ils (setvar)
When it tries to mount the Install CD (loading CDINST.NLM) occurs the error: An attempt to mount cd-rom volume nw51 as a NetWare volume failed. Control will be switched to the system console screen, where you may view the error explanation (nwconfig-5-391) and then shows this error: An error ocurred while parsing file "c:\nwinst.tmp\netware.ils", line 9, at or near word or symbol "SetVar". Error description: Syntax Error. (nwconfig-5-232) The line is: SetVar true, 1 In the console, issuing a HELP SETVAR don't work, bu...

New WinXP install -- cannot connect to NetWare 5.1
My father is running NetWare 5.1 and four Windows 98 client computers. He has asked me to upgrade the Windows 98 computers to Windows XP. I am not familiar with Novell software or even the NetWare server configuration. My dad contracted someone to have NetWare installed, but this particular gentleman has since passed away. There is one computer in his office that does not get much use, so I started with that one. I fdisked and freshly installed Windows XP, installed all device drivers, then installed Novell Client 4.91 SP2. The Novell login window appeared upon reboot, but upo...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Web resources about - Netware 5.1 new install to replace old machine - novell.netware.5x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ