Netware 5 install hangs on SCSI Driver

HI

I am replacing the hard drive in my clients netware 5.0 server. This
server sees little use so they do not want to upgrade it. I have
purchased a new hard drive of the same type as the old one. All the
other hardware is the same as the original install. I am using the same
disks as the original install. The installl goes great until I get to
the SCSI Card drivers. I install them as instructed from the floppy and
verify the slot numbers. Once I go to proceed the install hangs on the
screen. I am using an adaptec ultra 160 board. If I reboot the pc and
try to load the drivers manually via nwcofig everything works fine so I
dont think it is that. Any ideas would be appreciated. Nick Steele

--
nsteele84

nsteele84

On 01/06/2011 21:36, nsteele84 wrote:

> I am replacing the hard drive in my clients netware 5.0 server. This
> server sees little use so they do not want to upgrade it. I have
> purchased a new hard drive of the same type as the old one. All the
> other hardware is the same as the original install. I am using the same
> disks as the original install. The installl goes great until I get to
> the SCSI Card drivers. I install them as instructed from the floppy and
> verify the slot numbers. Once I go to proceed the install hangs on the
> screen. I am using an adaptec ultra 160 board. If I reboot the pc and
> try to load the drivers manually via nwcofig everything works fine so I
> dont think it is that. Any ideas would be appreciated. Nick Steele

By the sounds of the above you are replacing the drive that had the
server operating system (NetWare 5.) installed on it?

Are there any errors reported on the server's console screen when it hangs?

Can you even switch to another screen?

If not, try entering the NetWare debugger (LeftShift+RightShift+Alt+Esc)
and type V to view screens (G to quit debugger back to NetWare or Q to
exit debugger to DOS).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program.  See novell.com/ttp for more details.
Simon
6/2/2011 12:59:58 PM
smflood;2111111 Wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 21:36, nsteele84 wrote:
>
> > I am replacing the hard drive in my clients netware 5.0 server. This
> > server sees little use so they do not want to upgrade it. I have
> > purchased a new hard drive of the same type as the old one. All the
> > other hardware is the same as the original install. I am using the
> same
> > disks as the original install. The installl goes great until I get
> > the SCSI Card drivers. I install them as instructed from the floppy
> and
> > verify the slot numbers. Once I go to proceed the install hangs on
> the
> > screen. I am using an adaptec ultra 160 board. If I reboot the pc
> and
> > try to load the drivers manually via nwcofig everything works fine so
> > dont think it is that. Any ideas would be appreciated. Nick Steele
>
> By the sounds of the above you are replacing the drive that had the
> server operating system (NetWare 5.) installed on it?
>
> Are there any errors reported on the server's console screen when it
> hangs?
>
> Can you even switch to another screen?
>
> If not, try entering the NetWare debugger
> (LeftShift+RightShift+Alt+Esc)
> and type V to view screens (G to quit debugger back to NetWare or Q to
> exit debugger to DOS).
>
> HTH.
> --
> Simon
> Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

> Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or
> school?
> If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
> Transfer Partner (TTP) program.  See novell.com/ttp for more details.

It is being replaced into a working system yes. There are no error
messages when it hangs. You can switch to another screen but you have to
be quick as it hangs approx 1 second after trying to load the drivers.
On the other screen all you can see is the text for loading the driver
into slot 501 no errors or other information. There is a second driver
after slot 501 that goes in to slot 502. Again this is identical to the
way the original install was two slots 501 and 502. Regards Nick Steele

--
nsteele84
nsteele84's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=111347

0
nsteele84
6/4/2011 12:36:02 PM
On 04/06/2011 13:36, nsteele84 wrote:

> It is being replaced into a working system yes. There are no error
> messages when it hangs. You can switch to another screen but you have to
> be quick as it hangs approx 1 second after trying to load the drivers.
> On the other screen all you can see is the text for loading the driver
> into slot 501 no errors or other information. There is a second driver
> after slot 501 that goes in to slot 502. Again this is identical to the
> way the original install was two slots 501 and 502. Regards Nick Steele

This behaviour sounds familiar from something I've seen with NetWare 6.5
so perhaps the same fix will work - when you get to choose storage
drivers try loading SCSIHD.CDM with /noaen parameter.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program.  See novell.com/ttp for more details.
Simon

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

Netware 6.5 Installation Hangs Device Drivers
Matching drivers to hardware devices....please wait. I have tried selecting the driver, continuing, etc. no change. Suggestions. Please supply the usual particulars when asking questions such as these. What kind of hardware are you running (brand of server, type of drives being used, type of NIC, etc....). To get a good answer, you must ask a good question........... <spashia@owensville.k12.mo.us> wrote in message news:bm6%b.2637$Mw6.987@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > Matching drivers to hardware devices....please wait. I have tried > selecting the driver, conti...

Hello, I'm trying to install Novell NetWare 6.5. But in nthe middle of the installation it hangs on.. Loading driver... Please wait (blinking) (@ the top of the screen it says.. RTSSRV.LAN) I can't do nothing.. What specific motherboard and embedded network device are you working with? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop If you flip screens, is there user intervention waiting? It's sounds like it's tring to load a Nic driver. Does the driver match your hardware? Use your ALT, ESC keys and toggle to other scree...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers into a existing Netware 5 environment
We currently have a Netware 5 environment using sp4/sp5 We also have the original cluster services 1.01 running under netware 5. We intend to install a new SAN which will be clustered using 2 new Netware 6.5 Servers. What is the best approach to installing Netware 6.5 in our current environment, should I install the new Netware 6.5 Servers into a new tree, but then how will they communicate with the exisiting Netware 5 Servers. Can I install the Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting 5 environment and then in the future upgrade the current 5 Servers. Thankyou and best regards ...

installing netware 6.5 cluster into exisiting netware 5 tree.

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #2
We currently have a Netware 5.0 network running sp4. Included in this is a 2 server netware 5 cluster running the original 1.0 cluster services. We intend to install another SAN which will be a 2 server Netware 6.5 cluster. Is it ok to install netware 6.5 with exisiting Netware5 Servers? I believe we need to apply the nwsp56a patch to all our Netware 5 Server first. is this correct?. Do you apply it to the master first as this is a cluster server? Also I am concerned that when I apply the nw5sp6a patch to our exisiting Netware 5 Cluster servers it will cause problems with them...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers in a existing Netware 5.0 network
I need to install two new Netware 6.5 Servers into my current Netware 5.0 network with Service packs 4/5. What updates do I need to apply to the Netware 5.0 Servers and do I download the nw65sp1b overlay file only and use that to run deployment manager, or do I have to install sp1 first. Also can you purchase nw65 licenses seperately Thanking you in advance for help given. Regards. As a minimum the 5.0 servers need nw50sp6a, os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe, flsysft3.exe, ts524o.exe, and Set client file caching enabled=Off. The DS version would preferably be edir851.exe plus edir8530.e...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #3
Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree Regards. Duplicate, answered above. PHIL.BEC@CULTURE.GOV.UK wrote: > > Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server > ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree > Regards. -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de ...

Web resources about - Netware 5 install hangs on SCSI Driver - novell.netware.5x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ