Migrating a 5.1 license w/o disks

To Whom It May Concern:

Due to a variety of reasons, I no longer have the original 5.1 license
disks. Is it possible to move the license from one 5.1 server to another
without them? I have a 5.1 server with 250 connections that I am
decommissioning. I also have a 5.1 server with 15 connections. I would
like to be able to move the 250 connections to the server that only has
15 connections. I can either overwrite the 15 or add to it. Is there a
way of doing this without the original 5.1 license disks? Thanks

--
dferraro

dferraro

Dferraro,
> Due to a variety of reasons, I no longer have the original 5.1 license
> disks. Is it possible to move the license from one 5.1 server to another
> without them? I have a 5.1 server with 250 connections that I am
> decommissioning. I also have a 5.1 server with 15 connections. I would
> like to be able to move the 250 connections to the server that only has
> 15 connections. I can either overwrite the 15 or add to it. Is there a
> way of doing this without the original 5.1 license disks? Thanks

Are the servers in the same tree? If so, just reassign the licenses.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders

--
dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269

0
dferraro
8/7/2009 7:06:01 PM
Dferraro,
> > Hi Anders,  Yes, they are in the same tree. How do I re-assign the
> > licenses? I am unsure of the procedure. Is it down thru NWconfig or
> > RConsole? Thanks

Easiest would to use NWadmin32. Just look at the license objects.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/7/2009 8:01:32 PM
Hi Anders, I still don't know what you mean. Can you provide the steps
that you are talking about? As I don't have the disks, I cannot afford
to make a mistake with this. It has to be done correctly the first time.

dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
dferraro
8/7/2009 8:26:02 PM
Dferraro,
> Hi Anders, I still don't know what you mean. Can you provide the steps
> that you are talking about? As I don't have the disks, I cannot afford
> to make a mistake with this. It has to be done correctly the first time.
> Thanks

Licenses are held in DS and not on the physical server. Just make sure that the server that is to remain is the Master replica, then just run NWadmin32. Find the license objects. Can you see them?

Under each license container you will find server and user licenses. Can you see them? Open them up and look at their assignments. I am sure you will see where assignments are made.

When you have reassigned, just make all your users connect to the server that is to remain. Check that they all get licenses from that and not the other server. This also is something you see on the license objects. See:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/nw51/?page=/documentation/nw51/nlsscenu/data/a2b7xd4.html

When you are done and all works, just remove the server, using the normal procedure, ie remove DS from it in nWConfig, then clean up tree, then turn off.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/8/2009 6:00:06 AM
AndersG;1838068 Wrote:
> Dferraro,
> > Hi Anders, I still don't know what you mean. Can you provide the
> steps
> > that you are talking about? As I don't have the disks, I cannot
> afford
> > to make a mistake with this. It has to be done correctly the first
> time.
> > Thanks
>
> Licenses are held in DS and not on the physical server. Just make sure
> that the server that is to remain is the Master replica, then just run
> NWadmin32. Find the license objects. Can you see them?
>
> Under each license container you will find server and user licenses.
> Can you see them? Open them up and look at their assignments. I am sure
> you will see where assignments are made.
>
> When you have reassigned, just make all your users connect to the
> server that is to remain. Check that they all get licenses from that and
> not the other server. This also is something you see on the license
> objects. See:
>
> 'Novell Documentation'
> (http://www.novell.com/documentation/nw51/?page=/documentation/nw51/nlsscenu/data/a2b7xd4.html)
>
> When you are done and all works, just remove the server, using the
> normal procedure, ie remove DS from it in nWConfig, then clean up tree,
> then turn off.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>

> Novell has a new enhancement request system,
> or what is now known as the requirement portal.
> If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
> releases of Novell products then they should go to
> http://www.novell.com/rms

I have ConsoleOne not NWadmin32. I see the user connection object
Novell+Netware 5 Conn SCL + 510 with 3 S/Ns under it. I can see the
properties on all objects. I do not see how to reassign them. There
doesn't seem to be any way of doing it. Thanks

--
dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
dferraro
8/10/2009 4:06:02 PM
Dferraro,
> I have ConsoleOne not NWadmin32. I see the user connection object
> Novell+Netware 5 Conn SCL + 510 with 3 S/Ns under it. I can see the
> properties on all objects. I do not see how to reassign them. There
> doesn't seem to be any way of doing it. Thanks

Rightclick on one of the serials, proprties, assignments

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/10/2009 5:36:55 PM
AndersG;1838745 Wrote:
> Dferraro,
> > I have ConsoleOne not NWadmin32. I see the user connection object
> > Novell+Netware 5 Conn SCL + 510 with 3 S/Ns under it. I can see the
> > properties on all objects. I do not see how to reassign them. There
> > doesn't seem to be any way of doing it. Thanks
> >
> Rightclick on one of the serials, proprties, assignments
>
> - Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>

> Novell has a new enhancement request system,
> or what is now known as the requirement portal.
> If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
> releases of Novell products then they should go to
> http://www.novell.com/rms

I've tried that already. I get tabs for NDS Rights, Other, Rights to
Files and Folders. Under Other is Edit Attributes:NLSLSPAssignment. I
modified the entry to reflect the where I want the license to be used.
However, it is still in the old OU. I can't seem to find a way to move
it to the new OU. Thanks

--
dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
dferraro
8/10/2009 6:16:02 PM
dferraro wrote:

>I've tried that already. I get tabs for NDS Rights, Other, Rights to
>Files and Folders. Under Other is Edit Attributes:NLSLSPAssignment. I
>modified the entry to reflect the where I want the license to be used.
>However, it is still in the old OU. I can't seem to find a way to move
>it to the new OU. Thanks

1) To move the license, you should move the license container (assuming
there are no other licenses in it that you don't want to move). For this,
you should first turn the license container into a partition and then you
can move it.

2) Once you have move the license, remove the server related licensing
objects (NLS_LSP...) and run setupnls.nlm on the server console to
recreate them

3) Only use NWADMN32 to define license assignments. ConsoleOne doesn't
have a licensing plugin and as such doesn't understand what to do with
licensing objects. NWADMN32 however (when run from a NetWare server)
includes licensing plugins and knows exactly what to do when you make
licensing assignments and it can also give you usage information about
licenses.

4) Be aware that there are server licenses and connection licenses. A
server needs a server license to start with. Only when the server has a
server license assigned, it will look for connection licenses.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
dferraro;1838682 Wrote:

> I have ConsoleOne not NWadmin32.
You do have NWadmin32. It's in sys:public/win32 as nwadmn32.exe

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
ataubman
8/10/2009 11:06:02 PM
You must use NWAdmin32. You also probably need a
reboot or l�nload/load NLSLSP for the server to consume the license. At
least is that the case with NW 6.x. See Marcel's posting.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/11/2009 9:37:55 AM
dferraro;1838682 Wrote:
> I have ConsoleOne not NWadmin32. I see the user connection object
> Novell+Netware 5 Conn SCL + 510 with 3 S/Ns under it. I can see the
> properties on all objects. I do not see how to reassign them. There
> doesn't seem to be any way of doing it. Thanks
Just run NWAdmin from \\<servername>\sys\public\win32\nwadmn32.exe

--
Best regards
Claus, DK
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
clausbc
8/11/2009 9:46:02 AM
Marcel Cox,
> To move the license, you should move the license container

But is a license move neessary, assuming 5.1? Would it not be enough to
just reassign the licenses to the other server as 5.1 licenses are
assigned per server?

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/11/2009 11:38:08 AM
Marcel_Cox;1838856 Wrote:
> dferraro wrote:
>
> >I've tried that already. I get tabs for NDS Rights, Other, Rights to
> >Files and Folders. Under Other is Edit Attributes:NLSLSPAssignment. I
> >modified the entry to reflect the where I want the license to be
> used.
> >However, it is still in the old OU. I can't seem to find a way to
> move
> >it to the new OU. Thanks
>
> 1) To move the license, you should move the license container
> (assuming
> there are no other licenses in it that you don't want to move). For
> this,
> you should first turn the license container into a partition and then
> you
> can move it.
>
> 2) Once you have move the license, remove the server related licensing
> objects (NLS_LSP...) and run setupnls.nlm on the server console to
> recreate them
>
> 3) Only use NWADMN32 to define license assignments. ConsoleOne doesn't
> have a licensing plugin and as such doesn't understand what to do with
> licensing objects. NWADMN32 however (when run from a NetWare server)
> includes licensing plugins and knows exactly what to do when you make
> licensing assignments and it can also give you usage information about
> licenses.
>
> 4) Be aware that there are server licenses and connection licenses. A
> server needs a server license to start with. Only when the server has
> server license assigned, it will look for connection licenses.
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> 'Untitled Document' (http://support.novell.com/forums)
> Marcel Cox's Profile: 'NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: Marcel_Cox'
> (http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8)

Hi Marcel, I ran NWADMN32 and it does not show me the same info as
ConsoleOne. ConsoleOne shows me 5 Conn SCL + 510 with 3 S/Ns under it
for the different licenses that were added to the system over time.
NWADMN32 only shows 5 CONN SCL + 510. It does not show the different
S/Ns. It is also not showing me the correct license count for that OU.
If I highlight the object and click on Tools, Novell Licensing Services
there is an option for Move Selected License Certificate. It has a "from
context" and a "to context". It also has a box for License ID, but, I
cannot change it from the default selections of <all license
certificates in the container>. Thanks

--
dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
dferraro
8/11/2009 2:56:04 PM
dferraro;1839241 Wrote:
> Hi Marcel, I ran NWADMN32 and it does not show me the same info as
> ConsoleOne. ConsoleOne shows me 5 Conn SCL + 510 with 3 S/Ns under it
> for the different licenses that were added to the system over time.
> NWADMN32 only shows 5 CONN SCL + 510. It does not show the different
> S/Ns. It is also not showing me the correct license count for that OU.
> If I highlight the object and click on Tools, Novell Licensing Services
> there is an option for Move Selected License Certificate. It has a "from
> context" and a "to context". It also has a box for License ID, but, I
> cannot change it from the default selections of <all license
> certificates in the container>. Thanks
CORRECTION: The mouse button was not working when i was clicking on the
5 Conn SCL + 510 Object, so it did not expand it to show the S/Ns below
it. I replaced the mouse and can now see the S/Ns below. It looks like I
can move just a single S/N or all 3 at the same time. How will this
affect the users? Do I have to do this with no users logged in? Thanks

--
dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
dferraro
8/11/2009 3:06:01 PM
Dferraro,
> Do I have to do this with no users logged in?

Id recommend you do so, yes, assuming you have users connected to the
server you take away licenses from, they will be logged out.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/11/2009 5:30:16 PM
AndersG;1839366 Wrote:
> Dferraro,
> > Do I have to do this with no users logged in?
> >
> Id recommend you do so, yes, assuming you have users connected to the
> server you take away licenses from, they will be logged out.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>

> Novell has a new enhancement request system,
> or what is now known as the requirement portal.
> If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
> releases of Novell products then they should go to
> http://www.novell.com/rms

I was able to move the license using NWAdmin32. When I run a report, I
get conflicting info regarding the licenses. On the system where I moved
the license, it shows what I would expect. However, on another system
that I didn't touch it doesn't show any licenses which can't be correct
as the users are not having any issues with the server and it does not
report in the error log any license violations. Can the license count be
verified using some other means other then NWAdmin32? I thought that
there was a command that you could run at the console prompt that would
indicate the number of licenses.

--
dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
dferraro
8/13/2009 1:06:02 PM
Dferraro,
> I was able to move the license using NWAdmin32. When I run a report, I
> get conflicting info regarding the licenses. On the system where I moved
> the license, it shows what I would expect.

> However, on another system
> that I didn't touch it doesn't show any licenses which can't be correct
> as the users are not having any issues with the server and it does not
> report in the error log any license violations.

Is that a wholly separate tree?

> Can the license count be
> verified using some other means other then NWAdmin32? I thought that
> there was a command that you could run at the console prompt that would
> indicate the number of licenses.

That was on NW 4.x. On 5.x and up, you can easily look at the usage of
individual license objects. There is also LMSCHECK.EXE, the tool Novell
themselves use for audits.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/13/2009 1:14:36 PM
dferraro wrote:

>I thought that
>there was a command that you could run at the console prompt that would
>indicate the number of licenses.

Depending on the patch level of your server, the VERSION command may
provide some licensing information, not how many licenses are used, but at
least what licenses your server has found and is using.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0
Marcel
8/13/2009 9:40:17 PM
To dferraro

>I thought that
>there was a command that you could run at the console prompt that would
>indicate the number of licenses.

Maybe something like 'pm display' ?, anyway, TID 10060109 may help

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
AndersG;1839366 Wrote:
> Dferraro,
> > Do I have to do this with no users logged in?
> >
> Id recommend you do so, yes, assuming you have users connected to the
> server you take away licenses from, they will be logged out.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>

> Novell has a new enhancement request system,
> or what is now known as the requirement portal.
> If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
> releases of Novell products then they should go to
> http://www.novell.com/rms

I was able to move the licenses and all seems well. Thanks for all of
the help everyone!

--
dferraro
dferraro's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10269
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=382506

0
dferraro
8/19/2009 4:56:03 PM
Dferraro,
> I was able to move the licenses and all seems well. Thanks for all of
> the help everyone!

Good and thanks for closing the loop!