Adding a RAID Controller and changing configurations

Hi Folks,
Here is what I am trying to do....
I have a Dell PE1400 with an on board SCSI controller. The system has
single HD running NW5.1 SP5. The server works fine. What I would like
to do is add a PERC RAID controller and move the Drive to it. From
here, I then want to setup a true mirror drive.

The first problem that I am having is the RAID controller will boot
the
drive but it fails to mount SYS during LOADSTAGE 1. If I place the
drive back on on board controller, all is fine....

Yes I have the diver loaded in the startup.ncf with no problems. The
first error comes during the loadstage 1 (about the filesys.nlm

TNX Will

0
William

> Yes I have the diver loaded in the startup.ncf with no problems. The

> first error comes during the loadstage 1 (about the filesys.nlm

What is the error?

--

Andy Thompson
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp

0
Andy
6/26/2003 5:54:45 PM
All I see is "can not load SYS" then it passes by.....

If I do a "mount sys", I get a message that "There are no accessible
disk drives with NetWare partitions. Check to see that the needed disk

drivers have been loaded, and that your disk drives are properly
connected and powered on. Volume SYS could NOT be mounted. Some or all

volume segments can not be located."

There you have it.....

0
William
6/26/2003 6:54:03 PM
> If I do a "mount sys", I get a message that "There are no accessible

> disk drives with NetWare partitions. Check to see that the needed
disk
> drivers have been loaded, and that your disk drives are properly
> connected and powered on. Volume SYS could NOT be mounted. Some or
all
> volume segments can not be located."

Is the RAID controller BIOS seeing the new drive?  Might be an issue
with being formatted on one controller and being used on a different
one.

--

Andy Thompson
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp
(No email support, thanks.)

0
Andy
6/26/2003 7:54:07 PM
When the system boots, it sees the partition and stuff.  Tell me if I
am wrong, but really all you have is a DOS partition and a NetWare
partition. The DOS partition allows the system to boot, then it goes
the c:\nwserver to get the system drivers and then starts the NetWare
partition.

Since this is R&D, here is what I did. I took a image that was created

for a IBM x232/235 server with its own RAID controller and dropped the

image on a Dell PE1400SC with no raid controller. I changed the
drivers
and it came right up.

I then added the RAID controller to the Dell 1400 and want to boot it
up. This is where is dies. I am at a loss. This really a simple idea.
All I want to do is take a few 1400s and add a raid contoller sothat I

have real mirror drives....

Will

0
William
6/27/2003 12:36:03 PM
> When the system boots, it sees the partition and stuff.  Tell me if
> am wrong, but really all you have is a DOS partition and a NetWare
> partition. The DOS partition allows the system to boot, then it goes
> the c:\nwserver to get the system drivers and then starts the
NetWare
> partition.

hmm.. good indication the controller sees the drive :)  Not sure what
might be going on then.

--

Andy Thompson
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp

0
Andy
6/27/2003 2:59:40 PM
William Liporace:

> What I would like
> to do is add a PERC RAID controller and move the Drive to it.

generally, once the SCSI controller formats the drive other SCSI
controllers will have problems reading it.

What you might try is:

a) put in RAID controller
b) put new drive to be mirrored on new RAID controller
c) establish a mirror and let it sync
d) yank original drive and controller and reboot with the new drive
and
controller

or, if you have $300 laying around, get a copy of Storage Manager from

Portlock software (http://www.portlocksoftware.com).  Image your
system
from that, then restore it to the drive on the RAID controller.

Joe Moore

http://just.fdisk-it.com - Coming soon:
"Migrating From NetWare Enterprise Web Server to Apache 1.3.x"

http://www.caledonia.net/sysops.html

NO EMAIL PLEASE!!!!!

0
Joseph
6/30/2003 8:16:28 PM
Joseph Moore [SysOp] wrote:

> William Liporace:
>
> > What I would like
> > to do is add a PERC RAID controller and move the Drive to it.
> >

> generally, once the SCSI controller formats the drive other SCSI
> controllers will have problems reading it.
>
> What you might try is:
>
> a) put in RAID controller
> b) put new drive to be mirrored on new RAID controller
> c) establish a mirror and let it sync
> d) yank original drive and controller and reboot with the new drive
> and controller
>
> or, if you have $300 laying around, get a copy of Storage Manager
> from Portlock software (http://www.portlocksoftware.com).  Image
your
> system from that, then restore it to the drive on the RAID
controller.

> Joe Moore
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
>
> http://just.fdisk-it.com - Coming soon:
> "Migrating From NetWare Enterprise Web Server to Apache 1.3.x"
>
> http://www.caledonia.net/sysops.html
>
> NO EMAIL PLEASE!!!!!

0
William
7/1/2003 12:36:23 PM
William Liporace:

you forgot to say anything :)

Joe Moore

http://just.fdisk-it.com - Coming soon:
"Migrating From NetWare Enterprise Web Server to Apache 1.3.x"

http://www.caledonia.net/sysops.html

NO EMAIL PLEASE!!!!!

0
Joseph

Web resources about - Adding a RAID Controller and changing configurations - novell.netware.5x.install

Pusher configuration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a craft with a pusher configuration the propeller (s) are mounted behind their respective engine(s). According to Bill Gunston , a "pusher ...

Facebook Simplifies XCode Configuration, Adds App Events To IOS SDK
Facebook released a new software-development kit for iOS , version 3.6 , the social network announced in a post on its developer blog . continued… ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

MIT panel warns of challenges of hyper-networked world - management, Configuration / maintenance, IDC ...
A panel discussion held at MIT this week hailed major advances in networking technology, but warned that the challenges facing the world's information ...

New 15-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unboxed and compared to other 2015 configurations
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is here and available in a few different configurations. We’re take a closer look at the ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...