Upgrading 7.0.2 to 7.0.3hp1 - how to do it WITHOUT the upgrade changing ANY configuration files

Hi,

About to do the above upgrade on NW6.5SP7/GW 7.0.2 with all GW components on
one server.  One domain, 2 PO's plus and external PO reference (to allow
external email addresses to be added to the System Address Book so that they
can be used with distribution lists - ridiculous kludge, but that's another
story)

Last upgrade I tried generated new config files and took tinkering to get
the old ones back, is there some magic switch that will upgrade GW and all
the agents and leave the blasted configuration alone?  We use GWAVA and it
obviously didn't work afterwards.

Anyone have a 'tried and true Groupwise Upgrade Procedure' they would care
to share?

Yes, I've read the documents, but it amounts to 'press button a...' not much
help.

Thanks in Advance
--

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager

0
Geoff
7/21/2008 12:59:54 AM
novell.groupwise.7x.install 6353 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I really don't consider going from SP2 to SP3 a true upgrade but just a
patch. I would use the patch procedures and they won't mess with your
configs.

First Backup your SYSTEM directory. That way if there are any mistakes
you can roll back to SP2 very easy. Just copy the nlms, bin, fil and xml
files from the backup back into the system dir to restore. You will have
to do this for each server that hosts a GW agent.

In the Following SDD (software distribution directory) represents the
path to you new SDD or patch path.

For the MTA/POA
Run the standard install from the SDD agents folder. When it gets to the
screen to select the POA and MTA just leave it blank and click next. You
will get a message about  the install will only copy files. This is what
you want.

For the GWIA
There is a /copyonly switch. It does just that. It copies only the files
for the update. I have always just copied the files from the
O:\grpwise\SDD\INTERNET\GWIA\NLM\EXE folder to the system folder of the
  system hosting the gwia. That always works.

For WebAccess Agent
Just copy the files from SDD\INTERNET\WEBACCES\NLM (exclude the LDAP
folder)to the system folder on the server hosting the WebAccess Agent.

For WebAccess Application:
You have to rerun the install for the application piece as far as I know.

Always do one server at a time and start with the server that hosts your
primary domain. Always restart the server when you are done. This ensure
that everything reloads properly. This includes TSAs. Check the modules
after the install. From the console "m gw*" and check them. SP7 SP3 HP1
have a date of June 8th on all the modules.

It's very easy. Nice thing about GW. Now I don't use GWAVA so I don't
have to worry about the config files but if you follow the above
procedures you won't have to worry about it. We use Maia Mailgaurd which
is an open source solution. It's external to GW so we don't have to
worry about anything except mx records and mail routing.

Cheers,

John Jakus

Geoff Roberts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About to do the above upgrade on NW6.5SP7/GW 7.0.2 with all GW components on
> one server.  One domain, 2 PO's plus and external PO reference (to allow
> external email addresses to be added to the System Address Book so that they
> can be used with distribution lists - ridiculous kludge, but that's another
> story)
>
> Last upgrade I tried generated new config files and took tinkering to get
> the old ones back, is there some magic switch that will upgrade GW and all
> the agents and leave the blasted configuration alone?  We use GWAVA and it
> obviously didn't work afterwards.
>
> Anyone have a 'tried and true Groupwise Upgrade Procedure' they would care
> to share?
>
> Yes, I've read the documents, but it amounts to 'press button a...' not much
> help.
>
> Thanks in Advance
0
John
7/21/2008 4:51:57 AM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:59:54 +0000, Geoff Roberts wrote:

> Last upgrade I tried generated new config files and took tinkering to get
> the old ones back, is there some magic switch that will upgrade GW and all
> the agents and leave the blasted configuration alone?  We use GWAVA and it
> obviously didn't work afterwards.

There really shouldn't be many configuration files in use.  POA, MTA, GWIA
settings should all be in the various databases.  The agent startup file
essentially just specifies the home directory and that should remain even
after applying a SP/HP.

--
Joe Marton
Novell Support Forum SysOp

0
Joseph
7/21/2008 12:42:26 PM
Joseph Marton;1600879 Wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:59:54 +0000, Geoff Roberts wrote:
>
> > Last upgrade I tried generated new config files and took tinkering to
> get
> > the old ones back, is there some magic switch that will upgrade GW
> and all
> > the agents and leave the blasted configuration alone?  We use GWAVA
> and it
> > obviously didn't work afterwards.
>
> There really shouldn't be many configuration files in use.  POA, MTA,
> GWIA
> settings should all be in the various databases.  The agent startup
> file
> essentially just specifies the home directory and that should remain
> even
> after applying a SP/HP.
>
> --
> Joe Marton
> Novell Support Forum SysOp
> Novell does not officially monitor these forums!
> http://forums.novell.com/

yes, the setting SHOULD be in the Databases, but with Gwava 3.x not
sure about 4, you have some config lines at the end of the files that
get removed. You can just make a txt file with those lines in them and
put them back after any upgrades you do.

--
sams
sams's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=13113

0
sams
7/21/2008 4:16:01 PM
<sams.3cwowo@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, sams<sams@no-mx.forums.novell.com>
wrote:

> yes, the setting SHOULD be in the Databases, but with Gwava 3.x notsure
> about 4, you have some config lines at the end of the files that get
> removed.

Yes, that's what happens.

> You can just make a txt file with those lines in them andput
> them back after any upgrades you do.

I did that last time, was just wondering if there was a way to do it without
messing with
the configs at all, as all GW components (inlcluding 2 POAs, one on 1677 one
on 1678)
are on one server.  IIRC, last time it left them on the same port which
obviously didn't work.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Regards

--

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College
Port Pirie, South Australia
geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux
Remove the x's

0
Geoff
7/23/2008 1:47:28 AM
<NBUgk.9879$g35.7977@kovat.provo.novell.com>, John
Jakus<John.Jakus@*diespammerdie*valence.com> wrote:
> I really don't consider going from SP2 to SP3 a true upgrade but just a
> patch. I would use the patch procedures and they won't mess with your
> configs.

Ah.  Where is that process documented please?

> First Backup your SYSTEM directory. That way if there are any mistakes
> you can roll back to SP2 very easy. Just copy the nlms, bin, fil and xml
> files from the backup back into the system dir to restore. You will have
> to do this for each server that hosts a GW agent.

Only one server that has all GW components, so no problem.

> In the Following SDD (software distribution directory) represents the
> path to you new SDD or patch path.

Um.  Ok, I have a SDD on the server, but obviously this needs to be upgraded
first?
Does it just mean dumping the files from the upgrade package in there or is
there more
to it than that.  One of the things I'd like to be able to do is have it
offer users an
upgrade when they access GW, this seems to just work with GW Messenger but
not with Groupwise
Clients.

> For the MTA/POA
> Run the standard install from the SDD agents folder. When it gets to the
> screen to select the POA and MTA just leave it blank and click next. You
> will get a message about  the install will only copy files. This is what
> you want.

Fine.

> For the GWIA
> There is a /copyonly switch. It does just that. It copies only the files
> for the update. I have always just copied the files from the
> O:\grpwise\SDD\INTERNET\GWIA\NLM\EXE folder to the system folder of the
>   system hosting the gwia. That always works.

Ok, I'll have a look at that, thanks.

> For WebAccess Agent
> Just copy the files from SDD\INTERNET\WEBACCES\NLM (exclude the LDAP
> folder)to the system folder on the server hosting the WebAccess Agent.

Fine.

> For WebAccess Application:
> You have to rerun the install for the application piece as far as I
> know.
>
> Always do one server at a time and start with the server that hosts your
> primary domain. Always restart the server when you are done. This ensure
> that everything reloads properly. This includes TSAs. Check the modules
> after the install. From the console "m gw*" and check them. SP7 SP3 HP1
> have a date of June 8th on all the modules.

Ok, just the one server so should be ok.

> It's very easy. Nice thing about GW. Now I don't use GWAVA so I don't
> have to worry about the config files but if you follow the above
> procedures you won't have to worry about it. We use Maia Mailgaurd which
> is an open source solution. It's external to GW so we don't have to
> worry about anything except mx records and mail routing.

Mmm, I'll have a look at it, but it seems very unix specific in how it
operates.
Can you confirm it works on OES/Netware 6.5 SP7?  Our GW box is Netware, we
have
an OES1/Linux and (experimental) OES2/Linux server but they don't run any GW
components.

--

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College
Port Pirie, South Australia
geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux
Remove the x's

0
Geoff
7/23/2008 2:00:52 AM
<pan.2008.07.21.12.42.24.884040@SPAMhsemuni.com>, Joseph
Marton<jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:59:54 +0000, Geoff Roberts wrote:

> There really shouldn't be many configuration files in use.  POA, MTA,
> GWIA settings should all be in the various databases.  The agent startup
file
> essentially just specifies the home directory and that should remain
> even after applying a SP/HP.

It's mostly the GWAVA stuff which IS in the gwia.cfg.  One or two other
minor things
too, but can't recall offhand what they are.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

--

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College
Port Pirie, South Australia
geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux
Remove the x's

0
Geoff
7/23/2008 2:02:12 AM
Geoff Roberts;1602521 Wrote:
> <pan.2008.07.21.12.42.24.884040@SPAMhsemuni.com>, Joseph
> Marton<jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:59:54 +0000, Geoff Roberts wrote:
>
> > There really shouldn't be many configuration files in use.  POA,
> MTA,
> > GWIA settings should all be in the various databases.  The agent
> startup
> file
> > essentially just specifies the home directory and that should remain
> > even after applying a SP/HP.
>
> It's mostly the GWAVA stuff which IS in the gwia.cfg.  One or two
> other
> minor things
> too, but can't recall offhand what they are.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards
>

> --
>
> Geoff Roberts
> Computer Systems Manager
> Saint Mark's College
> Port Pirie, South Australia
> geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux
> Remove the x's

As I remember, the update process renames to old files and creates new.
You probably(I always have) could just sort by date and rename the
previous files inplace. Hope that makes sense.

As for GWAVA, it depends on which scan engines you have active as to
where  which config files will have the settings.

I do not know of an easy way to tell the update to not modify your
configs

Sam

--
sams
sams's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=13113
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336943

0
sams
7/23/2008 2:36:01 AM
For the SDD. You don't need to update it for a patch. I usually don't. I
only update mine for a new install or new version upgrade. It isn't a
bad idea though. You will need the original GW7 CD in order to create it.

I never found these procedures in any documentation, I have learned them
here on the forums. I have been using GroupWise since 2000 so I have
done this many times. Some of these tips I actually got from Novell
support when I was very new to GroupWise.

For updating GroupWise, there are several options. You can use
ConsoleOne to point to your SDD. Tools - GroupWise System Operations -
Software directory management. In this area you can define paths to your
SDD. If you do when the client logs in it will check for new version of
the client based on a bump number in the config files. I haven't used
this method in many years. If I recall with GW 6.5 or 7, the users
needed admin rights for this to work. I prefer to use ZENworks for the
update. There is another method but I don't recall at the moment. Should
all be in the documentation. There is also a GWTuner app now so you can
make a GW transform. It's in the SDD somewhere.

Maia runs on Linux. We are running it on SLES 10. No OES components
installed. We run it on two systems for redundancy. The users use LDAP
to authenticate to their Maia portal if they want to manage quarentined
messages, white lists, black lists and so on. It works very well and is
free. We only have to pay for the hardware. Yes it works with any mail
system. We use GroupWise 7 SP3 on NetWare 6.5 SP7 Servers. It works fine
with them. Basically all our incomming mail hits these two servers
first. Then the mails is scanned for viruses, malware and spam then
forwarded to the GroupWise GWIA. GroupWise never gets mail directly from
the Internet. Very nice product for a free product.

Cheers,

John

Geoff Roberts wrote:
> [...]
>> that everything reloads properly. This includes TSAs. Check the modules
>> after the install. From the console "m gw*" and check them. SP7 SP3 HP1
>> have a date of June 8th on all the modules.
>
> Ok, just the one server so should be ok.
>
>> It's very easy. Nice thing about GW. Now I don't use GWAVA so I don't
>> have to worry about the config files but if you follow the above
>> procedures you won't have to worry about it. We use Maia Mailgaurd which
>> is an open source solution. It's external to GW so we don't have to
>> worry about anything except mx records and mail routing.
>
> Mmm, I'll have a look at it, but it seems very unix specific in how it
> operates.
> Can you confirm it works on OES/Netware 6.5 SP7?  Our GW box is Netware, we
> have
> an OES1/Linux and (experimental) OES2/Linux server but they don't run any GW

0
John
7/23/2008 3:01:45 AM
<taxhk.10672$g35.8324@kovat.provo.novell.com>, John
Jakus<John.Jakus@*diespammerdie*valence.com> wrote:
> For the SDD. You don't need to update it for a patch. I usually don't. I
> only update mine for a new install or new version upgrade. It isn't a
> bad idea though. You will need the original GW7 CD in order to create
> it.

That might be hard, never had one.  (Internet software delivery)
Might still have the original install package somewhere... not sure.  That
was some years back now.
We started with OES/NW6.5 and GW 7.0.0 (previously it was a Vax running VMS
and Madgoat MX for VMS...)

So... how do I do it as a patch then?  I have done two previous updates
(7.0.1 and 7.0.2 but some time
has passed and I don't really remember.  It's our only mail system, there is
no failover, there is no
backup, so I can't afford to break it or even have it out of action for
long.  Hence the 20 questions.

> I never found these procedures in any documentation, I have learned them

Figures. Frankly I find most of the GW documentation largely not that
useful, our system always
seems to be slightly (or very) different.  We have one domain and one main
PO for staff,
the other is for students but they don't get email accounts normally - ready
for when
they do.  We have web access, the POAs and GWIA all on the one server.
Mostly works ok,
though the GWIA is probably second only to Exchange as crappy internet MXs
go.
It's the only one I know of that truncates error messages from foreign MXs
in the logs.
I was missing a vital line that told me where to go to find information
about why we were
getting bounced emails because it chopped it off short.  I had to telnet
into the ISP concerned
and play Mail Daemon on Port 25 to see the whole thing.  GWIA just handed me
the failure code and
virtually nothing else.

Suffice it to say, none of the problems I've ever had were solved by
referencing the documentation.
(I still recall the headscratching over strange failures til I discovered
that Groupwise doesn't play
nice with path/file names that are not 8.3 in form.)

> here on the forums. I have been using GroupWise since 2000 so I have
> done this many times. Some of these tips I actually got from Novell
> support when I was very new to GroupWise.

Unfortunately 'opening an incident' with Novell is not an option for us.
Just too expensive.  I also have a moral objection to software suppliers
that
charge you for fixing their software.  Oh yes I know, they refund the fee if
you
prove it's a bug, but we can't afford to take the chance, even if we had the
money
(we don't have credit cards, this is education) up front, which of course we
don't,
we aren't talking about $10 here.

> For updating GroupWise, there are several options. You can use
> ConsoleOne to point to your SDD. Tools - GroupWise System Operations -
> Software directory management.

Yes, Know how to do that.

> In this area you can define paths to your
> SDD.

> If you do when the client logs in it will check for new version of
> the client based on a bump number in the config files.

Well, we've done that, but no, it doesn't prompt for an upgrade.  I have no
idea why.

> I haven't used
> this method in many years. If I recall with GW 6.5 or 7, the users
> needed admin rights for this to work.

Mmm, no idea.  I obviously do, but it doesn't happen for me either so not
sure what is wrong.

> I prefer to use ZENworks for the
> update.

If I ever get Zen to work, might be an option.

> There is another method but I don't recall at the moment. Should
> all be in the documentation. There is also a GWTuner app now so you can
> make a GW transform. It's in the SDD somewhere.

GW Transform?  No idea what that is, will have a look at that.

> Maia runs on Linux. We are running it on SLES 10. No OES components
> installed. We run it on two systems for redundancy. The users use LDAP
> to authenticate to their Maia portal if they want to manage quarentined
> messages, white lists, black lists and so on. It works very well and is
> free. We only have to pay for the hardware. Yes it works with any mail
> system.

I was afraid you'd say that.  Not a linux guru.  All linux documentation
seems
to have been written by/for C programmers.  I'm still trying to figure out
LDAP
with OES/Linux, there seem to be two LDAP systems, which are mutually
exclusive.
Pure linux apps seem designed for one system, Novell stuff for the
eDirectory
variant, so still trying to figure that out.
I've pulled Maia down and am having a look, it also requires MySQL which is
something
of a mystery to me as well.  (We don't currently use any form of SQL, aside
from the
Runtime version that ships with GMS (which we run on a 2k box).

I take it the MX Record points to the linux box with Maia and this then
somehow gets relayed
to the GW GWIA on the Novell box?

> We use GroupWise 7 SP3 on NetWare 6.5 SP7 Servers. It works fine
> with them. Basically all our incomming mail hits these two servers
> first.

So... your MX record has a 10 server.no1.mydomain 20 server.no1.mydomain?

> Then the mails is scanned for viruses, malware and spam then
> forwarded to the GroupWise GWIA.

What does the AV?  Gwava interfaces with several commercial AV packages.

> GroupWise never gets mail directly from
> the Internet. Very nice product for a free product.

Doesn't look bad at all, GWAVA is easier to implement but it's not cheap.

Thanks for all your help, appreciated.

Regards

--

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College
Port Pirie, South Australia
geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux
Remove the x's

0
Geoff
7/23/2008 6:46:17 AM
Geoff,

Geoff Roberts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> About to do the above upgrade on NW6.5SP7/GW 7.0.2 with all GW components on
> one server.  One domain, 2 PO's plus and external PO reference (to allow
> external email addresses to be added to the System Address Book so that they
> can be used with distribution lists - ridiculous kludge, but that's another
> story)
>
> Last upgrade I tried generated new config files and took tinkering to get
> the old ones back, is there some magic switch that will upgrade GW and all
> the agents and leave the blasted configuration alone?  We use GWAVA and it
> obviously didn't work afterwards.

Agents: (POA and MTA): Simply leave the configuration empty. E.G when
the install asks for the name and whereabouts of them, simply hit
"next".

GWIA: *If* there's any configuration stuff (besides the paths) in
GWIA.CFG (there really shouldn't be with 7.01 and higher, *not* even
with GWAVA), simply copy back the backup file (GWIA.XXX) the install
created. Or make a backup yourself.

WA: Doesn't touch anything on updates.

That's all.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

OK I looked through the docs very quickly and found this:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/gw7_install/index.html?page=/documentation/gw7/gw7_install/data/aaez34e.html

Search for the word copyonly on this page and it shows thre is now a
copy only switch for the Agents as well.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/gw7_install/index.html?page=/documentation/gw7/gw7_install/data/aaez34e.html

The following does reference the copyonly switch for the GWIA.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/readmeusgw7sp3/readmeusgw7sp3.html#b2xi1kp

 From my experience, GroupWise is very easy to intstall and maintain. I
run a worldwide organization and have MTAs, POAs and other Agents all
over the globe including China. It's very easy to do upgrade cycles with
GW. Just follow my basic instuctions and you will be amazed how easy it
goes.

Sorry about the truncated message thingie. I have never run into that
problem. Maybe you should put in an enhancement request to have them
give the option of not truncating these messages.

http://support.novell.com/enhancement/

Cheers,

John Jakus

Geoff Roberts wrote:
> [...]
> from the
> Runtime version that ships with GMS (which we run on a 2k box).
>
> I take it the MX Record points to the linux box with Maia and this then
> somehow gets relayed
> to the GW GWIA on the Novell box?
>
>> We use GroupWise 7 SP3 on NetWare 6.5 SP7 Servers. It works fine
>> with them. Basically all our incomming mail hits these two servers
>> first.
>
> So... your MX record has a 10 server.no1.mydomain 20 server.no1.mydomain?
>
>> Then the mails is scanned for viruses, malware and spam then
>> forwarded to the GroupWise GWIA.
>
> What does the AV?  Gwava interfaces with several commercial AV packages.
>
>> GroupWise never gets mail directly from
>> the Internet. Very nice product for a free product.
>
> Doesn't look bad at all, GWAVA is easier to implement but it's not cheap.

0
John
7/25/2008 2:06:22 AM
<yyaik.11500$g35.1966@kovat.provo.novell.com>, John
Jakus<John.Jakus@*diespammerdie*valence.com> wrote:
> If you have electronic media, you can login to you Novell Customer
> Center. You can then download your electronic media in iso format. All
> the software you buy from Novell is tracked on this sight. You can
> download your e-media anytime you like.

Yes, that's what we did.

> OK I looked through the docs very quickly and found this:
>
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/gw7_install/index.html?page=/doc
> umentation/gw7/gw7_install/data/aaez34e.html
>
> Search for the word copyonly on this page and it shows thre is now a
> copy only switch for the Agents as well.

Ok, thanks, I see that now.

> http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/gw7_install/index.html?page=/doc
> umentation/gw7/gw7_install/data/aaez34e.html
>
> The following does reference the copyonly switch for the GWIA.

Ok, fine.

> http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/readmeusgw7sp3/readmeusgw7sp3.ht
> ml#b2xi1kp
>
>  From my experience, GroupWise is very easy to intstall and maintain. I
> run a worldwide organization and have MTAs, POAs and other Agents all
> over the globe including China. It's very easy to do upgrade cycles with
>
> GW. Just follow my basic instuctions and you will be amazed how easy it
> goes.

Ok, thanks, I'll try it that way.  I am always a little nervous when doing
GW
upgrades, something always seems to go wrong, either during the upgrade or
something
falls over afterwards...

> Sorry about the truncated message thingie. I have never run into that
> problem. Maybe you should put in an enhancement request to have them
> give the option of not truncating these messages.

> http://support.novell.com/enhancement/

Thanks I'll do that.  I am probably spoiled by normal MTA behaviour (I can't
speak
for Exchange, but then I don't consider it a normal MTA) our previous system
would
attach a file with the entire dialogue of the failed mail session so you
could
see exactly what the problem was, in addition to returning the undelivered
mail and
the error codes, so I thought this was 'normal' MTA behaviour and find it
irritating
that GWIA doesn't do that.  That is what I would like GWIA to do, the error
codes are
not always helpful on their own.

Thanks very much for your time, I appreciate it.

Regards

--

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College
Port Pirie, South Australia
geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux
Remove the x's

0
Geoff
7/30/2008 12:15:11 AM
>>> On Wednesday, 23 July 2008 at 5:22 pm, in message
<4886E346.465AAEF0@spamcfc-it.de>, Massimo Rosen<mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de>
wrote:

Hi Massimo,

> Agents: (POA and MTA): Simply leave the configuration empty. E.G when
> the install asks for the name and whereabouts of them, simply hit
> "next".

Ok.

> GWIA: *If* there's any configuration stuff (besides the paths) in
> GWIA.CFG (there really shouldn't be with 7.01 and higher, *not* even
> with GWAVA), simply copy back the backup file (GWIA.XXX) the install
> created. Or make a backup yourself.
>
> WA: Doesn't touch anything on updates.
>
> That's all.

Ok, sounds easy, thanks.

Regards

--

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College
Port Pirie, South Australia
geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux
Remove the x's

0
Geoff
7/30/2008 12:24:22 AM
Geoff Roberts wrote:
> <4886E346.465AAEF0@spamcfc-it.de>, Massimo Rosen<mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Massimo,
>
>> Agents: (POA and MTA): Simply leave the configuration empty. E.G when
>> the install asks for the name and whereabouts of them, simply hit
>> "next".
>
> Ok.
>
>> GWIA: *If* there's any configuration stuff (besides the paths) in
>> GWIA.CFG (there really shouldn't be with 7.01 and higher, *not* even
>> with GWAVA), simply copy back the backup file (GWIA.XXX) the install
>> created. Or make a backup yourself.
>>
>> WA: Doesn't touch anything on updates.
>>
>> That's all.
>>

> Ok, sounds easy, thanks.
>
> Regards

And check the upgrades through Novell downloads looking for the latest
version...

Version 7.03 was only a ZIP file when I looked a week or two ago. It is
NOT the version you are linked to via your account log in. So in other
words -- no ISO images a few days ago anyway -- noe useful that is. I
burned a bunch of CDs for nothing --then found the proper advice here
and the other forums.  Beware! :-)

I had to download the zip, then extract and install from the "disk
image" on the NSS volume -- glad I installed a terrabyte -- it has
proved useful.

--
Will R
PMC Consulting

Upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3hp1 #2
Hello all, I was wondering what the update process is from GW 7.0.2 to 7.0.3hp1. I have heard conflicting ideas about the way it needs to be done. Do I need to treat it as a GW system upgrade where the agents need to be taken down or as a patching of the system that can be done with the agents up and running? And WebAccess doesnt need to be reinstalled does it? That is just for when you move up a whole release like 6.x to 7.x is it not? All advice welcome Curious Sam -- CuriousSam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Wed...

Any surprises upgrading 7.0.2 to 7.0.3? Can I revert back to 7.0.2?
Has anybody out there run into any issues going from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3? I've gone through the readme, but I was just curious if there were any surprises I should know about first. Is 7.0.3 any more stable? I'm really getting tired of the constant crashing under Win98SE. If I have problems with 7.0.3, can I revert to 7.0.2 by restoring a backup of the Sybase\Powerbuilder 7.0 and the Sybase\Shared\Powerbuilder folders? TIA - Dave I don't suppose you want to hear that you've been putting yourself through a year of torture since Sybase put out 7.0.2/C3 that really ...

Upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3HP1
I am running all GroupWise 7.0.2 modules on a single NW6.5Sp7 server and plan to upgrade to 7.0.3HP1. I can run the upgrade using the gw703hp1_full_nlwin_us.exe download, right? Is there anything that I should be concerned with? My plan is not to auto-update the client until testing the SP3HP1 client on a few PCs and ensure everything is working before upgrading all the PCs. Thanks Wilson -- wilsonhandy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wilsonhandy wrote: > > I am running all GroupWise 7.0.2 modules on a single NW6.5S...

About to upgrade 7.0.2 to 7.0.3HP1
Hi, Am about to do the upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3HP1 on a NW65SP7 box. We use GWAVA and I want this to go as smoothly as possible. What's the recommended process in the experience of those here? Anything to watch out for, need to fix before/after/during? Thanks in Advance -- Geoff Roberts Computer Systems Manager Saint Mark's College Port Pirie, South Australia geoffrobxATstmarksxdotppxdotcatholicxdoteduxdotaux Remove the x's Geoff, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, an...

Upgrading 7.0.0 to 7.0.1
I am trying to solve a PHP problem with 7.0.0 and have been told that the problem is fixed in 7.0.1 and that I should upgrade. The problem is HOW do I upgrade from 7.0.0 to 7.0.1. We have a registered copy of 7.0.0 which has been patched to build 477, but there is no downloadable upgrade to 7.0.1 on the web site. I have downloaded both the 7.0.1 1138 and 1161 EBF's but neither will apply themselves to our current build. Does anybody have any idea how to do this. Andrew Niven >The problem is HOW do I upgrade from 7.0.0 to 7.0.1. We have >a registered copy o...

Firefox "upgraded" itself from 2.0.0.12 to 2.0.0.7
Name: Pat Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox "upgraded" itself from 2.0.0.12 to 2.0.0.7 Comments: Update history is only displaying updates from 2.0.0.7 and below. Check for upgrades is not finding any. Updates were set to automatically download and install. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-AU; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7 ...

Downgrade from 7.0.1 or 7.0.2 to 7.0.0
What would be the issues involved, and what steps would be needed to downgrade from either 7.0.1 or 7.0.2 back down to 7.0.0? Am I stuck with offloading the databases to flat files, uninstalling, installing the mandated version, and then re-importing the flat files? Any advice for this Sybase newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks. No issues, easy steps... I often switch between point releases simply by copying/renaming subdirectories of C:\Program Files\Sybase. Each time I install a new upgrade or EBF I make a copy of the subdirectory; on *this* laptop it now looks like ...

Upgrade from ASA 7.0.2 to 7.0.3
Where can I find the upgrade from ASA 7.0.2 to ASA 7.0.3 english version for Windows platform? I can find only French, German and Japanese versions. Thanks. Follow the instructions in my footer. Make sure you change time frame to all, since the 703 maintenance release is probably more than 6 months old. -- Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Please reply only to the newsgroup ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio -> Set "Platform Preview" and "T...

Upgrading Groupwise from 7.0.1 to 7.0.3
I am in kind of an odd situation. I have upgraded in the past Groupwise from 5 to 5.2 to 5.5 to 6.5 to 7.0 to 7.0.1. All under Netware. In the past year, we have moved all of our POA's to Windows. I am at a loss on how to actually perform the upgrade under Windows OS. Under netware, at least point releases all I had to do was just copy over the newer NLM's, distribution directory, and view files. I am not sure what to do under windows to upgrade it. Is there an "upgrade" executable or something? Also, I am assuming all I need to do on my MTA and GWIA which stil...

Upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 Question
This may be basic but I've actually never performed an upgrade before. I have a question regarding what actually happens during a certain part of the update/install wizard. During the wizard you are presented with Update GroupWise System dialog box that lists the three steps you need to perform. Here you must enter the location of your domain... no problem here. I eventually have to select Install and select a platform, NetWare. What I'm confused on is the part about the Installation Path. The wizard asks for a path where I want to install the GroupWise agent softw...

Upgrading ASA from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3
Hi. One of our customers just applied the latest 7.0.3 update to his Novell server. Our application started misbehaving after the ASA upgrade to 703. Is it necessary to always upgrade the ASA client when upgrading the server? Our customer said that the Novell update he downloaded did not have a client update. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Doug ...

GroupWise 7.0.1 to 7.0.3 Upgrade
Anyone have a document on how to upgrade GroupWise from 7.0.1 to 7.0.3? In the past we used a consultant but I want to learn myself. If there are TIDs, please point them out. Thanks. -- dmackway ------------------------------------------------------------------------ * dmackway, I usually just hit the "Update Groupwise system" option of the installer and restart the agents. Installing a service pack isn't really rocket science. Uwe -- Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so. ...

Upgrading 7.0.0 database to 7.0.3
I have a database that was created in 7.0.0. I now use 7.0.3.2079. I'm having trouble upgrading the database. First, contrary to the help file, there was no upgrade utility in Sybase Central. At least, I can't find it. So I opened ISQL and ran the statement, 'alter database upgrade'. This caused the following message to pop up: ISQL Error Line 1, Column 16 Could not execute statement. ASA Error -198: Primary key for row in table 'SYSCAPABILITYNAME' is referenced in another table. The ISQL Messages window contained the following: Creating ...

Upgrade to 2.0.0.7
Is anyone else having problems with this update? It takes forever to do anything. I type something on a web page and the first few key strokes show up.... then about 10 or 12 seconds later the rest show up. If a web page refreshes then all of firefox refreshes, not just the one page. Sometimes firefox will disapear from the bottom of my computer. Are there any changes coming out to address these issues? <bruced2 wrote:... > Is anyone else having problems with this update? It takes forever to > do anything. I type something on a web page and the first few key > ...

Web resources about - Upgrading 7.0.2 to 7.0.3hp1 - how to do it WITHOUT the upgrade changing ANY configuration files - novell.groupwise.7x.install