dns round-robin for GWIA ougoing mail doesn't work

Hi
In GW 7 SP1 GWIA, underneath SMTP/MIME settings, Hostname/DNS "A record"
name, we have a hostname that resolves to 4 different IPs. We basically
wanted to load balance our 4 outgoing postfix servers and also in case one
went down, email would still flow. However, GWIA is behaving strangely: on
start up it selects one of the IPs to which this hostname resolves and sends
email only to that host. If we take that host down, instead of sending
emails to the next IP in line, it gives errors "host down" and mail flow
stops. Is there any way to make GWIA actually resolve the hostname and go
round-robin through the IPs?
Thanks.

Mike.
0
Michael
8/21/2006 5:17:43 PM
novell.groupwise.7x.gwia 3041 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Michael,

that's a new GW 7 feature: Put all IPs of the Postfix boxes in the Relay Host field in C1, separated by spaces. It will use the first one by default, but use the next one in case the first fails. Not load balancing, but quite nice for failover :-)

Uwe

--
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.

"Michael Gorn" <mgorn@fxcm.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> In GW 7 SP1 GWIA, underneath SMTP/MIME settings, Hostname/DNS "A record"
> name, we have a hostname that resolves to 4 different IPs. We basically
> wanted to load balance our 4 outgoing postfix servers and also in case one
> went down, email would still flow. However, GWIA is behaving strangely: on
> start up it selects one of the IPs to which this hostname resolves and
> sends
> email only to that host. If we take that host down, instead of sending
> emails to the next IP in line, it gives errors "host down" and mail flow
> stops. Is there any way to make GWIA actually resolve the hostname and go
> round-robin through the IPs?
> Thanks.
>
> Mike.

0
Michael
8/21/2006 8:54:28 PM
Michael Gorn wrote:
> I am sorry, I meant "Relay Host for Outbound Messages"

NP, I guess your initial problem is solved?

Uwe

--
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0
Uwe
8/22/2006 12:53:03 PM
The failover part is solved. However, the load-balancing part is not solved.
Any idea why the round-robin DNS function not working? Any idea how to make
it load-balanced?

Thanks a lot.

>>> Uwe Buckesfeld<u.buckesfeld@myrealbox.com> 8/21/2006 2:50:51 PM >>>
>Michael,
>
>that's a new GW 7 feature: Put all IPs of the Postfix boxes in the Relay
>Host field in C1, separated by spaces. It will use the first one by
>default, but use the next one in case the first fails. Not load balancing,
>but quite nice for failover :-)
>
>Uwe
>
>--
>Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp
>Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0
Michael
8/22/2006 2:08:31 PM
Michael Gorn wrote:
> The failover part is solved. However, the load-balancing part is not solved.
> Any idea why the round-robin DNS function not working?

What I said, the GWIA resolves/caches the address upon startup. It doesn't resolve the name upon every connection to the relay host. It does a name resolution again when it fails to contact the first relay host in the list, I guess.

> Any idea how to make
> it load-balanced?

Get a switch which can do hardware load balancing, is the only idea I have.
Maybe there are mechanisms built into postfix which can help you, but there are better places on the web to ask such a question.

Uwe

--
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0
Uwe

GWIA 5.5 works, GWIA 6.5 doesn't
Ok, I haven't been able to figure out what's going on with GWIA 6.5, but (see earlier thread re "No inbound mail since...") GWIA 6.5 gave me nothing but 450 host down type messages, IP connection refused, etc. and has left me with a ton of messages in the DEFER directory. Now with the exact same gwia.cfg, my old GWIA 5.5 is running fine, and inbound mail is arriving again. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks, Ben This is on the same server ?, same IP addresses all that sort of thing, the MTA is at v6.5 right ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occ...

Urgent: AutoCompleteExtender doesn't work/Updatepanel doesn't work
This is my code for the AutoCompleteExtender <asp:textbox id="txtQuickSearch" runat="server" CssClass="inputText" style="width:145px; "></asp:textbox> <atlas:AutoCompleteExtender runat="server" ID="acSearch"> <atlas:AutoCompleteProperties TargetControlID="txtQuickSearch" Enabled="True" ServicePath="http://localhost/Sony.BusinessSuite.Web.UI/AtlasServices/MasterData.asmx" ServiceMethod="GetAllModels" minimumprefixlength="2" /> </atlas:AutoCompleteExtender> When i start typing fiddler shows: # Result Host URL Body Caching Content-Type User-...

Spellchecker doesn't work: no error, just doesn't work
Hey all. This is only happening with one person. It's all GW7 no SP. has worked fine before. Anyway when they type along it doesn't catch that spelling and it doesn't fire up spell check before it's sent like it is checked off to do. It does nothing. It just sends it when you click send; no error, nothing. I did a rebuild, analyze/fix. I have it set at all levels for this user. any ideas Mark, well, I'd try a more recent client version first. GW7 was less than stellar before SP1. Uwe -- Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp Please don...

Freenx doesn't work, NX doesn't work with compiz. Questions
FreeNX just doesn't work. NX from nomachine installed well, but I guess that limits me to two logins? NX doesn't work with compiz, tho, at least from machines not running compiz. So no great surprise. :-) Is there any way to run startkde that disables compiz and uses kwin? Alternatively, hows the easiest way to handle alternative logins? I could link the two documents folders together, but then I'd have problems with file permissions. I'm just looking for ideas here, I could live with two logins. -- dougnc -------------------------------------------...

GWIA doesn't reject blacklisted mail
I have added a number of URLs/IP addresses to the "Prevent messages from" list in NWAdmin/GroupWise View/GWIA/Access Control/Default class of service. However, mail keeps coming in from at least some of the culprits. In particular, mailer.pogolo.com/199.106.239.11 is very persistent. I can't figure out why this is getting through, as it is in the list both as a URL (*.pogolo.com) and as an IP address. Check the mime.822 header to see if they are coming in through a secondary mail server, also change the *.pogolo.com to just pogolo.com Cheers Dave -- ...

GWIA doesn't sends mail anymore
Hello We upgraded GW65 to SP3 about 10 Days ago. Since today the GWIA can't send mails anymore. The Mail is returned to the senders mailbox. Everyone can receive mails. Any Idea ? Thank your for your help Regards Paul > Hello > > We upgraded GW65 to SP3 about 10 Days ago. Since today the GWIA can't > send mails anymore. The Mail is returned to the senders mailbox. Everyone > can receive mails. > > Any Idea ? > > Thank your for your help > > Regards Paul Paul, Is there a firewall setting that was changed? I would ...

GWIA sometimes doesn't get mail ...
We are running GWIA 7 and GWAVA 3.6. (GWAVA was giving us too many false positives, and I haven't taken the time to rebuild. So now the only spam that it is set to block is RBL & SRBL.) The problem is that some incoming emails are not even hitting the GWIA (AFAIK). We have several clients whose emails don't all get through to us. Most of the time, we get their emails, but every now and then, we find out that they emailed us something & - We never received it, and - they never got any kind of bounce notification. If the GWIA logs don't show anyth...

GWIA SMTP relay restriction doesn't work
I am running GWIA on SLES 10 SP2 GW703HP4. I have the GWIA SMTP Relay Defaults=Prevent message relaying. Exceptions with allow from 192.168.10.3 to * as the 192.168.10.3 is the alert mail server. When I tried to test the SMTP port to GWIA, I got restrict relay error. If I change Relay Default to "Allow message relaying", that is the only time that I can connect from 192.168.10.3 to send SMTP mail via GWIA. I have tried to restarted GWIA everytime I make the change but can't get the exception to work? Any suggestion? Cheer Andy -- andyj2009 -----------...

keeps making me download update, but, update doesn't work, makes me download update, update doesn't work..................
Name: donald davis Email: galenachefatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: keeps making me download update, but, update doesn't work, makes me download update, update doesn't work.................. Comments: That's pretty much the whole deal. An update screen pops up, I update, the update doesn't take and the next time I use firefox mozilla the same thing happens over and over and over. Thanks Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Outbound mail doesn't use GWIA IP address
We have a clustered Groupwise system. Could someone please explain why outgoing email is sent from the cluster node IP address and not that of the GWIA. We are trying to route emails through a service provider (for scanning etc.) and found that the mail is exiting our firewall with the firewall IP address and not that of the NATed GWIA address. Cheers. You need to tick the "bind IP address at load time" so that it uses the official GWIA IP number to send (it still receives on all ip numbers that are bound to the node. Tim On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:09:46 GMT, ...

Installation 'Sybase DataWindow PS' printer on W98 doesn't work (so PDF export can't work either)
I have a problem with export DataWindow content to PDF on W98 systems. (I don't have any problem with PDF export on other systems like as WINNT, W2K, WXP). I found out that the problem is in the Sybase DataWindow PS printer. It looks like installed but it DOESN'T WORK on W98. When I try print something on this printer then no PostScript file is created. So I tried manual installation of it but it occurs an error during manual installation (I used description of instalation from Bruce Armstrong). The error said that printer driver (PSCRIPT.DLL) can't be loaded. I use...

Groupwise Client as a POP3 client--SMTP doesn't work as a 'send'
Our company was just acquired (never happens these days) by another company that has an exchange server. We're trying to keep our GW for at least the near future and want to just 'POP' and SMTP through the Exchange server. I can receive messages no problem, but can't send. When I send, I get the super-duper descriptive error message, 'Service not Available'. How do I track down where the SMTP is failing? I can send from Outlook Express, so I assume it's something within the Groupwise client that is having issues with the SMTP service on the Exchange serve...

Custom Datagrid: Doesn't display and doesn't work
Hi all,Hope someone can share their experience! I am trying to make a custom datagrid, only in appearance for now. Results:1. On dragging the control from the VS toolbox: get a grey rectangle, not the table like look. 2. On running the Web page: no HTML.<code>Imports System.ComponentModelImports System.Web.UI.WebControlsImports System.Web.UI<DefaultProperty("Text"), ToolboxData("<{0}:custDG runat=server></{0}:custDG>")> Public Class custDG    Inherits DataGrid    Public Sub New()        Me.BorderColor = ...

Same app in two application directories
Hi All, I'm developing an ASP.net app on my local machine.  I have had Visual Studio create an application directory under "Default Web Site", and I have also created an application directory myself via inetmgr (IIS7 on Vista).  The directory created by VS works perfectly, but the directory which I created manually doesn't - every page I load returns a "could not load type" error.  The exact same files exist in both directories (I literally copied them from my dev directory to the one I created), so I know it's not the source files themselves.&...

Web resources about - dns round-robin for GWIA ougoing mail doesn't work - novell.groupwise.7x.gwia

Round-robin tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term round-robin is derived from the term ruban , meaning "ribbon". Over a long period of time, the term was corrupted and idiomized to robin ...

Round Robin for iPad on the App Store on iTunes
Get Round Robin for iPad on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Monty Python ...ROCKS! (Knights Of The Round Table, Sir Robin, Bright Side Of Life) - YouTube
I had a ton of fun doing this video. Hope it makes you laugh and headbang at the same time! A special thanks to the amazing Lynn Swanson for ...

Daedelus touring, playing Round Robin Duets & Undead Music show with Shigeto
Daedelus in Austin in 2012 (more by Tim Griffin) Instrumental hip hop/electronic production vet Daedelus has a number of dates coming up this ...

'The 39 Clues' round-robin interview: All seven authors answer questions about the interactive adventure ...
The 39 Clues, the interactive, globe-spanning series of young adult novels is drawing to a close. Nearly two years after famed YA author Rick ...

Sochi Olympics: Canada is first to go undefeated in women’s curling round-robin
... 2014; Sochi, RUSSIA; Jill Officer (CAN), left, Jennifer Jones (CAN), center, and Dawn McEwen (CAN), right, in the women's curling round robin ...

Watch Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray (Round Robin) Live Online at WatchESPN
Watch Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray (Round Robin) live online now at WatchESPN or check out the full replay if you missed it.

Round Robin: Android Casey's Final iPhone Review!
[This is an official Smartphone Experts Round Robin post! Every day you reply here, you're automatically entered for a chance to win an iPhone ...

Paul Ryan Planning Round Robin Interviews With TV Nets Thursday
GOP VP nominee Paul Ryan will be sitting down with a handful of TV news outlets for a series of round robin interviews to air on Thursday, two ...

5 Questions: Round ‘Robin’
Holy trivia, Batman! Wednesday’s 5 Questions quiz is a Round ‘Robin’ affair.