Upgrading GW6.5.0 to GW6.5.6 Q's

I am planning on installing the full GW sp6 to our GW 6.5.0 this weekend.  I
have a few questions for those of you who know what you're doing.  I'm
really dreading this.

1. Do I need to unload the GWIA, POA and MTA before installing?  Or can I
install the update and then reboot when convenient?

2. After I run the "update a GroupWise system"  will I need to manually
manually got to "Install Products" and then install the "GroupWise Internet
Agent"?  or will the other update take care of that for me?

3.  Will all of my existing settings stay intact or is there anything I will
need to reconfigure after the update?

4.  What is the difficulty of this update?  Does it usually go smooth or am
I in for a long night?

5.  Does the number and size of the mailboxes affect the speed of the update
or is it just updating nlms and program files.

6.  And finally......  Does it sound like I even have a clue about what I'm
about to do?

Thanks for any info, I'm really dreading this. Thanks again!

0
Kerry
12/7/2006 8:28:24 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.install 6728 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> 1. Do I need to unload the GWIA, POA and MTA before installing?  Or
> can I install the update and then reboot when convenient?

Yes it is recommended.

> 2. After I run the "update a GroupWise system"  will I need to
> manually manually got to "Install Products" and then install the
> "GroupWise Internet Agent"?  or will the other update take care of
> that for me?

You install all the agents from the Software Distribution Directory
(SDD) you create FIRST.  You do not install the GW agents or update
them from NWConfig.

> 3.  Will all of my existing settings stay intact or is there anything
> I will need to reconfigure after the update?

Everything should be intact.  I normally make a copy of the *.mta,
*.poa, and GWIA.cfg files prior to upgrades (and full backups of the
email system of course).

> 4.  What is the difficulty of this update?  Does it usually go smooth
> or am I in for a long night?

Normally smooth as long as you follow the top down upgrade path.

1. create a NEW SDD, do NOT upgrade the old one.
2. Upgrade the Primary Domain
3. upgrade POs under the primary domain, or upgrade of a secondary
domain.
4. upgrade GWIA
5. upgrade WebAccess
6. upgrade clients

> 5.  Does the number and size of the mailboxes affect the speed of the
> update or is it just updating nlms and program files.

No difference.

> 6.  And finally......  Does it sound like I even have a clue about
> what I'm about to do?

sounds like you are about to do your first GW upgrade/patch.

You might want to check out this upgrade guide:
http://www.caledonia.net/update65.html

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

Install GW6.5.6 client on GW6.5.5 system ?
Hi all Does any one know if there are any problems in running the GroupWise 6.5 SP6 client, to access a GroupWise 6.5 SP5 message store ?. I have to implement a GWArchive solution for a customer, and the customer have previously tried to implement SP6, but had some issues with it, and are now reluctant to upgrade to SP6. But the GWAchive minimum requirements are the GroupWise client 6.5 SP6 to access the GroupWise message store. Does any one if that should be a problem ?. Kalle -- KalleA ------------------------------------------------------------------------ O...

GW6.5 upgrade from 5.5 on SBS5.0
Will GW6.5 run on SBS5.0? Docs all indicate 5.1 requirement, no mention of the 5.0 platform It will run it is just not supported by Novell in case you get problems. We ran it on NetWare 4.11 for a while in order to able to upgrade. Cheers, Edward <jerry@svcinc.com> wrote in message news:ho5ne.5984$_w.3136@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > Will GW6.5 run on SBS5.0? Docs all indicate 5.1 requirement, no mention > of the 5.0 platform ...

Gw6 to Gw6.5 upgrade with Sp's
Planning to upgrade to Gw6.5 within the next week or so. Are there good instructions/TID on how to incorporate service pack 3 before installing? "Joe B" <joebNOSPAM@PLEASEbraytonlaw.com> wrote in news:KPwJd.7$4N2.1@prv- forum2.provo.novell.com: > Planning to upgrade to Gw6.5 within the next week or so. Are there good > instructions/TID on how to incorporate service pack 3 before installing? Joe, TID 10092846. Uwe -- Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so. Joe B: &g...

Upgrade 6.0 to 6.5 with Groupwise 6.5
Morning, Any issues with upgrading a Netware 6.0 latest sp server to Netware 6.5 sp4 with Groupwise 6.5 latest service pack on it? Thnaks, Ray > Any issues with upgrading a Netware 6.0 latest sp server to Netware 6.5 > sp4 with Groupwise 6.5 latest service pack on it? > Should be fine -- SBS 6.5 and 6.6 shipped with 6.5 SP1b and then SP3 and GroupWise 6.5.4. One thing though, why SP4 on the NW 6.5 server? I'd go with SP5 plus the post SP5 update package. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Only reason is config control, the ot...

NetWare 6.0 vs 6.5 upgrade path Pro's and Con's
Hello, Forgive me for the double post. I just wanted to get maximum exposure and responses. I am the only NetWare 6 CNE in the IT Department where I work, and I have been asked by my supervisor to write a one page report on the best path for upgrade from NW 5.1. So he is asking me whether we should be upgrading each server individually to NW 6.0, or NW 6.5? We currently have already upgraded the Master Replica NetWare server and a Groupwise 5.5 EP2 GWIA/MTA NetWare Server to 6.0 SP3. But he wants to know if we should instead be upgrading the next 16 NW 5.1 servers to NW ...

NW 6.0 vs 6.5 for upgrade path Pro's and Con's
Hello, I am the only NetWare 6 CNE in the IT Department where I work, and I have been asked by my supervisor to write a one page report on the best path for upgrade from NW 5.1. So he is asking me whether we should be upgrading each server individually to NW 6.0, or NW 6.5? We currently have already upgraded the Master Replica NetWare server and a Groupwise 5.5 EP2 GWIA/MTA NetWare Server to 6.0 SP3. But he wants to know if we should instead be upgrading the next 16 NW 5.1 servers to NW 6.5? We tend to upgrade each individual server over a 24 month period, and so we are a...

GW6.5.1 to 6.5.5 install issue
We tried to put on 6.5.5 patch last night and had a few issues. It said a file was locked (it wasn't) GWDOM.DC We did have all the agents down. When we retried the process during the "Checking Files ...Examining your system phase, it kept asking "Please enter the path where the Client files can be found and click OK to continue, or click Cancel to stop checking files." My Theory is that since the first attempt failed, some of the Software Distribution folders were actually updated, and it dosn;t like it. Any suggestions? Should we just try to go to 6.5.6 ? Davi...

Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 upgrade
I am preparing for a Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 upgrade and am asking if there are any recommended procedures or best practices I should be following. I have not been able to find much information on 5.5 to 6.5 upgrades. Any input would be appreciated. Thank-you. --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable This may be purest voodoo, but the only problems I have encountered are = those of the databases not updating to the latest version after the = install. If you have your post -office set to clie...

Upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5
Does anyone have any advice on how to upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5?. Any upgrade guide for this?. Thanks Eric There is some reasonable documentation on how to do an upgrade at www.novell.com/documentation/lg/gw65 If you want the best and most comprehensive guide to how to upgrade and what might go wrong I would get the Upgrade guide from www.caledonia.net Tim On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:36:04 GMT, xeemxais@hotmail.com wrote: >Does anyone have any advice on how to upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise >6.5?. Any upgrade guide for this?. > >Th...

upgrading to GW6.5 from 5.5
Is it recommended to have two domains before upgrading to 6.5? Setup one as the primary and another as secondary. Any good TIDs on doing this? The Domain is the first piece I need to upgrade right? One or two domains are up to you. I normally setup 2 if I have more than one server running GW agents I install a secondary domain on it. Yes you start at the PRIMARY domain to do an upgrade. You may want to get the upgrade guide from www.caledonia.net Very good. -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Forums Sysop ...

upgrading to GW6.5 from 5.5
Is it recommended to have two domains before upgrading to 6.5? Setup one as the primary and another as secondary. Any good TIDs on doing this? The Domain is the first piece I need to upgrade right? Henry Lei wrote: > Is it recommended to have two domains before upgrading to 6.5? Setup one as > the primary and another as secondary. Any good TIDs on doing this? > > The Domain is the first piece I need to upgrade right? > Please post this in the groupwise forum. -- Andy Thompson Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No email support, thanks.) ...

NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 Upgrade to NW 6.0 GW 6.5 and New Hardware
We are planning on upgrading a mirrored NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 server to a raid 5 NW 6.0 GW 6.5 server in a mixed NW 5.0/NW 6.0 environment. My supervisor has been having me try restoring NDS from a tape backup onto test servers to simulate our production network before implementing the upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to simulate our production network (Is it necessary to do this) for testing? and/or Is there more than one method to accomplish the transition between old NW5.0/GW5.5 and new NW6.0/GW6.5 and a specific order to follow for that method? My superv...

GroupWise 6.5 WebAccess with 5.5 POA's
The Caledonia manual states that you can configure WebAccess 6.5 to use a WebAccess 5.5 agent buy adding it to the 6.5's GroupWiseProvider WebAccess Agent list and making the PO's default WebAccess gateway point to the 5.5 agent. I have not been able to make this work.... has any one had luck setting this up? My login seems to still go to the 6.5 agent because I get a PO mismatch error. I have my 6.5 servlets pointed to both a 5.5ep agent and a 5.2 agent with the following two lines in my webacc.cfg: Provider.GWAP.Default.address.1=x.x.x.x:7205 (5.5ep) ...

Web resources about - Upgrading GW6.5.0 to GW6.5.6 Q's - novell.groupwise.6x.install

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube