Netware 5.0 SBS with GW 5.5 to NW 6.5 with GW 6.5

I am assisting a client with a migration from NW 5.0 w/ GW 5.5 to new
server hardware (will be replacing the old server) running NW 6.5 with GW
6.5 via the 7.1 Migration Wizzard.

I am still a little unsure of the best migration path.  I planned on
migrating straight from NW 5 and GW 5.5 to NW 6.5 and GW 6.5.  However,
other people indicate that it is not a clean migration.  Furthermore, the
documentation states that I will have to re-install GW6.5 to update the
NLMs on the Target after the migration.  Won't this overwright my
information store?  Perhaps I am supposed to migrate the GW 5.5 to the NW
6.5 server and then perform and upgrade?

Can someone recommend the best path?  It doesn't seem to be stated clearly
in the new book by Caledonia.

Thanks! Matt Lipka
0
mlipka
4/28/2004 7:43:52 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.install 6728 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I just dealt with the nightmare this past weekend (see my post in the NW 5 &
6 install forums).  I haven't done anything with the GroupWise yet, I am
still recovering from the Netware.  I plan on doing that this weekend.  For
the Netware upgrade just make sure you have the latest service pack, 6a,
NICI 1.5.7, and NDS 8.73 on the 5.0 server.  And definitely use Migration
Wizard 7.1 as you said you were.  Once I figured that out thanks to some
posts in these forums, I could get everything over, except all of my trustee
assignments.  I had to recreate those "by hand."
The Migration Wizard basically holds your hand though it, well if it works
right.  I usually run a backup Friday night, run the pre-migration setup on
the new server, patch the old server, do the migration, on Saturday, and do
the printers and GroupWise, and backup software on Sunday assuming all goes
well.  I forgot how the GroupWise works, I am having to do it differently
this time because of how it went last weekend.  I think in the past once I
got the migration done to the new server ("old GroupWise"), I just loaded
the new GroupWise over the old as an upgrade.  Just my 3 cents.

jjmb@cokerlaw.com

0
Jenn
4/28/2004 8:26:47 PM
> I am assisting a client with a migration from NW 5.0 w/ GW 5.5 to new
> server hardware (will be replacing the old server) running NW 6.5
> with GW 6.5 via the 7.1 Migration Wizzard.

6.5 mig wiz.

For GroupWise get the upgrade guide from www.caledonia.net.  VERY good
highlighting of possible gotchas.

For GW get the latest SP and install the Software Distribution
Directory (SDD).  Then you install from there.  Primary domain first,
PO second, GWIA 3rd, finally WebAccess (delete and re-create as you are
going to switch to Apache web server)

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

GW 5.5 on NW 5.1 -> GW 6.5 on NW 6.5
Hi All, Setup: I have a single tree (TRINET) with 3 Netware 6.5 SP4 servers (INTL, ENV, AUSTIN) running file/print services. In this same tree I have 2 Netware 5.1 SP8 servers (MASTER, EMAIL). MASTER does nothing but have the PO and DO sitting in it's OU on the tree. It is NOT providing any services such as file/print. The server named EMAIL is running GroupWise 5.5 EP SP5. We have a Linux based web server (apache) at a remote site (co-lo) running the WebAccess that connects to EMAIL. I have a NEW server ready to take on an installation of Netware 6.5 and GroupWise 6.5. ...

NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 Upgrade to NW 6.0 GW 6.5 and New Hardware
We are planning on upgrading a mirrored NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 server to a raid 5 NW 6.0 GW 6.5 server in a mixed NW 5.0/NW 6.0 environment. My supervisor has been having me try restoring NDS from a tape backup onto test servers to simulate our production network before implementing the upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to simulate our production network (Is it necessary to do this) for testing? and/or Is there more than one method to accomplish the transition between old NW5.0/GW5.5 and new NW6.0/GW6.5 and a specific order to follow for that method? My superv...

Outlook & GW 5.5.5 (NW 6.5.5)
We have GW 5.5.5 for interoffice email & 50% of my employees have Outlook Express (or Outlook) for their internet email. My problem is whenever I upgrade a user from Outlook Express to Outlook I generally run into problem with GW or Outlook or both. My latest user I finally got her up on Outlook (2003), she had been running OE without any problems. After I finally created a 2nd profile for her because Outlook obviously didn't like her default Novell settings I got that to work. Now her GW will not open at all. Her notify works but that has been the case before with other...

Upgrade from 5.5.5 to GW 6.5.0
Are there any things that I need to look at before I upgrade my GroupWise. I have been reading the install procedures, but there is always something unexpected that comes along. I am running NW 6.0.2 and GW 5.5.5, with webaccess running on a different NW server. I also have David fax ware running on a different server that comes into play. I have about 200 users that will be using GW and I am going to upgrade this week end. I will be upgrading MTA, POA, WebAccess and GWIA. Any tips out there that would save me a lot of problems. Thanks, Tim Well I dunno anything ab...

GW 5.5 and GW 6.5
Hi: Is it possible to install GW 5.5 in a tree that already has GW 6.5? I wanted to do this for testing. Thanks, Nancy Nancy, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com - You could also try posting your mess...

GW 5.5 to GW 6.5
Hi All, I have one server is NW4.11 & GW5.5, one server is NW6.5. Now is one tree and two server. I will be install the new GW 6.5 to NW6.5 server, and merge the GW5.5 to GW6.5. If the upgrade complete, I will close the old NW4.11 & GW5.5 server. What is the correct step in my case? Or, I buy the Caledonia GroupWise 6.5 Upgrade Guide if the book can completely solve my problem. Many thanks for your help. Theo Theo Li wrote: > Or, I buy the Caledonia GroupWise 6.5 Upgrade Guide if the book can > completely solve my problem. This book does not cover an...

GW 6.5 / NW 6 new server with GW 5.5 / NW 4.11
I have an additional server I would want to install GW 6.5 and NW 6 to slowly migrate users from the GW 5.5 / NW 4.11. Has anyone done this before? I would eventually want to retire the old server but that is not a priority right now. Can this be done? You can't do gradual migrations with GW really, see TID 10008433 for the move instructions Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS]}} Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ Thanks for your response. I thought you could create a secondary domain in the new server and migrate to it. >...

GroupWise 5.5.5 under Netware 6.5
I have not been able to get my Groupwise snapins back since I upgraded my Groupwise server to Netware 6.5. Is there any way to do this? Recopy the snapins from the SDD Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ I got an error before, but this time it worked. Thanks. "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message news:MPG.1a495f6d48d9516ce6@support-forums.novell.com... > Recopy the snapins from the SDD > > Cheers Dave > > > -- > > Dave Parkes [NSCS] ...

From NW 6.0/GW 6.5 to NW 6.5/GW 7 New Hardware
I have new hardware upon which I want to run NW 6.5, and GW 7. I found the Cool Solutions Article titled "Consultants Corner: Tips for Upgrading to GroupWise 7" I am only dealing with a single post office, GWIA and Webaccess. Looking for any Advice, gotcha's, document's I can be pointed to, etc. I have no room on the current 6.0 server any more, so I am hoping any upgrading to the files woudl be done after moving the DBs over... Phil Phil Smith wrote: > I have new hardware upon which I want to run NW 6.5, and GW 7. > > I found the Cool Soluti...

GW 5.5 NW to GW 6.5 W2K3
I am trying to plan an upgrade from one server running NW 4.1.1 SP9 with Groupwise 5.5 to a new server running W2003/EDirectory/GW 6.5. Is there an TIDs on the best procedure? I have the Caledonia Upgrading Guide but it doesn't mention anything about going to W2000/2003. I was thinking I would 1) Install W2003 2) Install EDirectory 8.73 on the W3K3 server but into the existing 'tree' that the NW 4.11 server controls 3) Copy the MAIL folder over to the new W3K3 server 4) Start the GW 6.5 upgrade install to upgrade the 5.5 'copied' content to 6.5 5) Chang...

GW 5.5 on Netware to GW 6.5 on W2K
I appologize if there is a thread on this already, i went back 4 months of posts looking but did not see what I was looking for. I have inherited a Groupwise 5.5.5 system running on SBS5 and the server itself is having some issues right now, so we have decided to upgrade to GW 6.5 running on Windows 2000 Server, mostly for the fact that I know very very little about Netware and as much as I would like to learn it I just dont have the time available to do it properly. Can anyone point me to TIDS or articles on the best way to do this upgrade, so far by reading threads I...

Upgrading 5.5.5 to 6.5.5
I am going to be upgrading from GW 5.5.5 to GW6.5.5 Anybody aware of any gotcha's or have any advice? LauraB@itdynamics.co.za wrote: > I am going to be upgrading from GW 5.5.5 to GW6.5.5 Anybody aware of > any gotcha's or have any advice? Not really. Before you upgrade rebuilt the post offices and domains or do at least a validate of the databases. If you are not really experienced I recommend to purchase the caledonia upgrade guide. -- Cheers, Edward ...

GW 5.5 to 6.5
After I migrate to my 6.5 server hardware including my gw55 - do i just install the agents (mta, gwia & poa) or do I run the Groupwise system install again? Is it an UPDATE or NEW Groupwise install since its on new hardware with no sys\system GW nlms? If you can just give me a clue on this two questions - I promise to get the Caldonia doc you always recommend Neither. It's just a copy, assuming the server ip address, volume structure, server name stayed the same. -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openh...

Upgrade GW 5.5 for Netware to GW 6.5 for linux
Hi All, I have some problems with the upgrade of the POA MTA work find on the Linux machine (SUSE 8 standard edition + GWISE 6.5SP2) but when i migrate the POA the domain stay close, the POA is OPEN but the database of the POA is not upgrade to version 6.5 (stay in 5.5) I use the dbcopy to move the POA from Netware to Linux and verify that the file are lowercase (all is find). I change all the link for use the POA on the Linux server. I don't find where is the problem, any idea ? > the POA is OPEN > but the database of the POA is not upgrade to version 6.5 (st...

Web resources about - Netware 5.0 SBS with GW 5.5 to NW 6.5 with GW 6.5 - novell.groupwise.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ