Stuck user ID; connection not cleared after logout

We limit our students to 1 simultaneous login. Recently at our high
school, some students randomly are prevented from logging in because the
system has not cleared them from the last computer they used, even
though they logged out.

We are using Windows XP SP3 workstations running the Novell Client 4.91
SP5, connecting to a NetWare 6.5 SP8 server running eDirectory 8.8 SP5
Patch 3 and NMAS 3.3.2.3.

Ideas? I have already tried shrinking the watchdog timeouts.

Rick P

--
RPummel

RPummel
3/20/2010 12:36:02 AM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Do a search on "stuck network address" on this forum and you'll find that
this is an ongoing issue for at least 5 years. There is no known sure-fire
solutions, just some workarounds and one of them is to simply bump the
concurrent login limit to 2.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

As Peter says, this is a function that never seems to have worked
reliably. You can clear out these addresses periodically; load dsrepair
-N0 and run a local repair, it will clean out all the existing addresses
(best to do this after hours).

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=405289

0
ataubman
3/21/2010 11:16:01 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:36:02 +0000, RPummel wrote:

> We limit our students to 1 simultaneous login.

That won't work. It should, but it won't. As Peter says, you'll need to
increase this to at least 2, possibly more if you're also using any LDAP
applications. You'll also need to search the forums here for "stuck
network address" and read up on it.

If you can open an SR with Novell Support, it won't help immediately, but
it might help in the long run to let them know that you are a customer
affected by this long standing problem.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu
 Novell Knowledge Partner                         http://forums.novell.com

 Please post questions in the newsgroups.   No support provided via email.

0
David
3/22/2010 4:58:43 AM
By the way, we recently discovered that by reverting from the Novell
Client 4.91 SP5 back to SP4, the problem goes away. Versions of SP5 work
fine too, but the problem appears to be in one of Novell's more recent
patches to SP5. The question is, "Which patch?!" I cannot use my
production environment for testing, and it is extremely difficult to
replicate the problem in a very small test environment.

Any ideas on which of the 4.91 SP5 patches might be capable of causing
such a problem?

--
RPummel
RPummel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5265
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=405289

0
RPummel
3/31/2010 4:26:02 PM
The problem occurred again today, on machines using the client 4.91
SP4.

I am now barking up another tree. I think the problem is directly
related to the OES2 Linux server I installed at about the time the
problem began. The OES2 box has a copy of every partition in our tree. I
am pretty confident that it is single-handedly responsible for the
problem. All our servers, including the OES2 box, are running eDirectory
885 patch 3.

I just have no idea how to solve the problem. Suggestions?

--
RPummel
RPummel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5265
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=405289

0
RPummel
4/6/2010 10:16:01 PM
Is there any chance you can test the OES2/Linux theory by:  having this
server NOT holding one of the replicas (or even create a new partitions
and not placing one on this - at least not a RW) and see if users in this
partition gets the stuck connection issue?

As previously mentioned, there is no ready "solution", at least not from
Novell in the very immediate future from what I understand. There are some
workarounds, none of which are 100% satisfactory (such as increasing the
concurrent login limit to 2 or 3).

In my backburner, I have some ideas on how to deal with this from an
add-on software point of view. However, I have not yet find a site that
has the issue and is willing to work with me on testing the product - nor
express any (on-paper, not contractal in any way) interest in paying for
such an add-on should it show to deal with the situation. (As I do have to
justify my time and resources, and have bills to pay!)

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

However, while rebooting the OES2 server did clear the user connections
on that server, it failed to removed the network address value from the
user objects. So, users who established their connection with the OES2
box prior to when I removed the replica continued to have login
problems.

I removed the replica at about 9:45 AM yesterday, and today at about
9:50 AM I ran a "dsrepair -n1" on the NetWare box holding the master
replica of the partition, to clear the network address attribute in all
users who logged in greater than 1 day ago. ("-n1" equals "1 day"). Now,
things appear to be back to normal! I have reset our student user IDs
back to 1 max concurrent login, as we had increased a lot of them to 2
as a work-around.

I submitted a bug report to Novell about this yesterday. They have
already gotten back to me, but they want a LAN trace in order to
investigate. I am not sure what to do, as I would have to break my
system again in order to get them the trace. I don't think I can
replicate the problem on demand, which makes it even harder.

Rick P

--
RPummel
RPummel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5265
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=405289

0
RPummel
4/8/2010 5:36:02 PM
RPummel wrote:

> I tried your suggestion of removing the partition replica off the
> OES2 Linux box and then rebooting the server to clear the connections.
> This seems to have fixed the problem! The Linux box was the culprit!
>
> However, while rebooting the OES2 server did clear the user connections
> on that server, it failed to removed the network address value from the
> user objects. So, users who established their connection with the OES2
> box prior to when I removed the replica continued to have login
> problems.

That's a very interesting finding!  Thank you for sharing that.

This makes me wonder if its the format of the Network Address values being
populated is the cause - at least in your case; on NetWare platform, the
address is populated as an "IP" syntax while on other platforms, they are
of TCP syntax. (Might have been vice vera but the point is that the syntax
is different between the platforms.)

As for existing values, yes, they are not cleared automatically when a
replica is removed - why should they?, if we think about it. So, your
clearing it using dsrepair is one option and another is simply use ldap to
"blow away" all Network Address values at night so everyone gets a fresh
start in the morning <g>.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
RPummel wrote:

> I submitted a bug report to Novell about this yesterday. They have
> already gotten back to me, but they want a LAN trace in order to
> investigate. I am not sure what to do, as I would have to break my
> system again in order to get them the trace. I don't think I can
> replicate the problem on demand, which makes it even harder.

This is what caused the problem to have existed for so long -- the
reproducibility (sp) on demand. A possibily is if you have the spare
hardware, setup a separate tree with two servers, one NetWare and one
Linux - perhaps even under VMWare or such.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

User connections do not clear from Window users after logout
Question: Why doesn't Windows logout clear users in Novell? More: This customer has a 5.0 server with all latest patches. He is running Windows 2000 terminal server on a separate server that accesses an application on Novell with client 4.91. The problem we are getting with this install as well as other non terminal server installs (on other sites) is that the Windows stations do not release the connection. As a result we are running out of users. I tried testing this by restricting only one login per username and it will block users that are reentering Novell. What can ...

Clear user connections
We have been having issues with this for long now. Often users report they cannot login because there is 'too many simultaneous' connections. When we check, we can't find user's connection and the only way to allow him to login, is to allow him for 2 or more connections. We have Netware 6.5 SP5 with eDirectory 8.7.3.7 We did not update our eDirectory, as we have been 'advised' it could cause many issues. Please advise. Thank You. Jakub Gorecki wrote: > We have been having issues with this for long now. Often users report they cannot login because there is &#...

Clearing user connections?
We are running a combination of Netware and Linux servers. In the past, I was just able to go into the Netware server and clear a connection for user to bump them off server and thus clear their edirectory connection. In Console One, Under the General Tab and under environment tab, there is a place where you can see environment information such as network address. Is it possible to clear this network address just be deleting it in Console One. It appears to delete but then the address comes back. One of my co-workers says this works. However, I'm reading in notes th...

Slow PB connection to MSAccessDB in Netware 5.0 when the User has Erase Rights in Netware
We are using a PowerBuilder application and are having some performance problems related to the Novell Erase privilege. The Users have Create, Read & Write privileges. If we add the Erase Privilege to the users, the initial connection time changes to 2 minutes instead of 5 seconds. The Novell NetWare 5.0 server is hosting an Access MDB file that our PowerBuilder application accesses over the network. Only the MDB is accessed over the network since the executable and PowerBuilder DLL's are installed locally on each client. Clients are using the Client32 logon and experience ...

[...]

Ebay user ID vs Comcast user ID
Name: Michael P Stevens Email: mpstvnsatcomcastdotnet Product: eBay Companion Summary: Ebay user ID vs Comcast user ID Comments: The "Companion" automatically brings up "mpstvns" as my user ID for Ebay. It has been changed, cannot be accessed or used until the merging of ebay use is completed in about 30 days. My new user ID for ebay is "u_need_it_123" Can the "Companion" be adjusted to reflect this or will it be automatic when the merge is completed? I do not know if this is a "bug" or not. Browser Details: Mozilla/5....

@@connections and user connections
Hi! I've a doubt, I hope you can help me. I've ASE 11.9.3 on HP-UX 11.0. The problem is at times, when an user run an aplication, soon afterwards system log out him. I checked the log and I found the next error: 01:00000:00008:2000/06/28 11:15:27.32 server Error: 1601, Severity: 21, State: 3 01:00000:00008:2000/06/28 11:15:27.33 server There are not enough 'user connections' available to start a new process. Retry when there are fewer active users, or ask your System Administrator to reconfigure SQL Server with more user connections. But, the point is I...

Linux Users Not Clearing Connections
We have recently started setting up some linux users to authenticate via LDAP. We have noticed that uses that have a limited number of connects are being rejected, and those with multiple connections showing open/active connections (via console one). But when I search for connections on the servers, I cannot find the user. I am pretty sure this is LDAP/linux auth, but I am not sure where to begin looking. Scott Smcdaneld, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has...

User connections get stuck
Hello. We limit our users' ability to login to only 1 connection at time. Sometimes, they notify us they cannot login and the system tells them they are already logged in in a diffrent place. However, ofthen, it is not the case. I cannot find their connections on server. When I edit their user names when such a problem occurres, I find they have assigned an IP address where they are logged in. I cannot, however find their connection on server anyways and I cannot clear it . Any thoughts? Thanx. On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:43:47 GMT, "Jakub Gorecki" <JGorecki@Eastchester.k12...

Connections not clearing on Netware Server
Question: how can we have the netware connections clear automatically from the netware server without having to go to the Monitor.nlm and clear them manually or reboot the Netware server? Description: Connection do not clear and accumulate on the connection information of the netware server. Set up: Netware 5.0 server with latest patches Windows 2000 server with clients accessing novell via terminal server services. Latest patches on windows installed as well Are these not-logged-in connections? If so, there no way other that what you do, but there's also no reason ...

How to connect to ldap with edirectory in netware
I have a windows applicaton that is PDExpress and it gives me the ability to connect to a ldap server. Since my server is netware with edirectory, I like to know how to connect server through LDAP? Could some give me some info. Thanks.. Sang, > I have a windows applicaton that is PDExpress and it gives me the ability > to connect to a ldap server. Since my server is netware with edirectory, > I like to know how to connect server through LDAP? > Generally you need the server IP, the port (ie unsecure/secure) and the search base (ie O=Acme). I am not familiar...

Auto clear user connections
I am trying to find a way in netware 5.1 to automatically clear user connections at a given time for database maintenance of one of the applications. We are setup using ipx only. Barring that is there a way to auto close open files for a user ? Thanks in advance Dan Landry What kind of database app is that? Depending, you may be able to close the database via a cron/keystuff script or take a look at http://www.avanti-tech.com (TaskMaster Lite) for additional scripting support. -- Peter eDirectory Rules! On Thu, 18 May 2006 12:23:07 +0000, dlandry wrote: Thi...

Web resources about - Stuck user ID; connection not cleared after logout - novell.edirectory.netware

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.