OES NW 6.5 SP3 install into NW 6.0 eDirectory 8.6.2 Tree

I will be installing OES Netware 6.5 SP3 into an existing 8.6.2 eDirectory
tree on a NW 6.0 server. Documentation I have read via NWDEPLOY, etc. says
8.6.x is the minimum you can install NW 6.5 into.

I will also be installing Identity Manager shortly after, which I read
requires eDirectory 8.7.3 or above.

Should I install NW 6.5, which has eDirectory 8.7.3 already and migrate
over to it from my old servers, If that's even possible? Or, should I
upgrade eDirectory running on the NW 6.0 servers to 8.7.3 and then
install?

Also, What is the best version of eDirectory to go to? I know on NW 6.0 I
have to go to 8.7.3 before 8.8.

My directory setup is the master at our corporate site with a local R/W
replica and a number of regional offices running NW 6.0 with replicas on
them. We also use Zen 6.5.

Thanks in advance for your help.
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

First a few general comments:

- if you are using ZEN 6.5, you can't use eDirectory 8.8. ZEN 6.5 is not
supported on eDirectory 8.8. You would need at least ZEN 7SP1 for
eDirectory 8.8 support

- I would strongly recommend agains NW65SP3. Is there any reason why you
would want that particular version? SP3 and SP4 were among the worst when
it comes to memeory managament and if your server has more than 2GB of
RAM, you will risk to continously run out of memory. I would recommend to
at least go for SP5+upd1 or possible SP6 if you take care of the SP6 issues

Now to your actual questions:

It's not clear from your message whether you plan to do an inplace upgrade
of a NetWare 6.0 server to 6.5 (as see seem to suggest) or whether you
want to install 6.5 on new hardware and want to migrate to it (which you
are asking about later).
Both scenarios are possible. In general, eDirectory 8.6.2 is "good enough"
to support NW 6.5 servers in the same tree, However based on the overall
recommendation of keeping eDirectory versions close, it might be a good
idea to upgrade your 6.0 servers to eDirectory 8.7.3 as well.
For the specific case of doing a migration to newer hardware, there can
actually be issues with eDirectory 8.6.2 on the source server and if you
are encoutering such issues, upgrading to eDirectory 8.7.3 may be required
before doing the migration.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums

Thanks for your response.

To answer your questions:

NW 6.5 w/SP3 was shipped to me. I was going to install it and probably
patch it to SP6. (Since SP6 has "aged" a bit.) I haven't researched issues
with SP6 yet so if you have any good tips or info on "gotchas"...

I am installing on new server hardware and plan to phase out the old
servers and OS's. They are at EOL so no inplace upgrades. I want to
migrate all services off the old OS & hardware to the new OS & hardware.
Any suggestions to make the road smooth would be greatly appreciated.
(Thanks for the info on SP3&4.)

Right now we do file and print sharing, user authentication, application
distribution, etc. but we plan to grow its use.

It sounds like a good idea to upgrade eDirectory to 8.7.3. (I've
downloaded 8.7.3 IR3)

Thanks Again!
Dan

d.hammerman@adelphia.net wrote:

>NW 6.5 w/SP3 was shipped to me. I was going to install it and probably
>patch it to SP6. (Since SP6 has "aged" a bit.) I haven't researched issues
>with SP6 yet so if you have any good tips or info on "gotchas"...

On new hardware, it is better to immediately install from a newer CD
rather than install an old version and then install the SP. In fact, the
hardware may require newer drivers that are already int he newer
installation CDs.
The latest installation CDs are these:
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=AZNVuIOvwiw~

Don't be put off by "evaluation" in the name. There are no separate
evaluation CDs. What makes the difference between evaluation and non
evaluation is the license certificate you install.

For SP6 issues, check the following:

http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp6

>It sounds like a good idea to upgrade eDirectory to 8.7.3. (I've
>downloaded 8.7.3 IR3)

There is nothing really special to say about it. All the eDir 8.6.x to
8.7.3 upgrades I have done went smoothly.

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.6)
0

> d.hammerman@adelphia.net wrote:
>
> >NW 6.5 w/SP3 was shipped to me. I was going to install it and probably
> >patch it to SP6. (Since SP6 has "aged" a bit.) I haven't researched
issues
> >with SP6 yet so if you have any good tips or info on "gotchas"...
> >

> On new hardware, it is better to immediately install from a newer CD
> rather than install an old version and then install the SP. In fact,
the
> hardware may require newer drivers that are already int he newer
> installation CDs.
> The latest installation CDs are these:
> http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=AZNVuIOvwiw~
>
> Don't be put off by "evaluation" in the name. There are no separate
> evaluation CDs. What makes the difference between evaluation and non
> evaluation is the license certificate you install.
>
> For SP6 issues, check the following:
>
> http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp6
>

> >It sounds like a good idea to upgrade eDirectory to 8.7.3. (I've
> >downloaded 8.7.3 IR3)
>
> There is nothing really special to say about it. All the eDir 8.6.x to
> 8.7.3 upgrades I have done went smoothly.
>
> --
> Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.6)

upgrade bm 3.6 nw 6.0 to bm3.8 nw 6.5
Hi, We've been asked to upgrade the 4 BM 3.6 servers that are used as our customer's proxy service, they are only used for proxy services, no firewall or vpn services. The servers are currently running NW 6.0, I see that 3.8 is only officially supported on NW 6.5. therefore, is there a recommended path from 3.6 NW 6.0 to 3.8 NW 6.5? Thanks support wrote: > Hi, > > We've been asked to upgrade the 4 BM 3.6 servers that are used as our > customer's proxy service, they are only used for proxy services, no > firewall or vpn services. The ser...

Install NW 6.5 server into a single server NW 6.0 tree
Okay. Let's say I have a single server NW 6.0 tree. For a variety of reasons, I cannot inplace upgrade it or across the wire migrate it to NW 6.5 But I need to setup a new server in the tree (second server) and it has to be NW 6.5 I know i can "technically" install NW 6.5 into a "6.0" tree, but I'm wondering about the CA I don't mind moving the Master and CA to the 6.5 server after it's in the tree, but is this the "only" things that need to be changed? -Kevin Kevin, If your Nw 6.0 server is patched up to date, the 6.5 ...

upgrade from bm 3.6 nw 6.0 to bm 3.8 nw 6.5
Hi, We've been asked to upgrade the 4 BM 3.6 servers that are used as our customer's proxy service, they are only used for proxy services, no firewall or vpn services. The servers are currently running NW 6.0, I see that 3.8 is only officially supported on NW 6.5. therefore, is there a recommended path from 3.6 NW 6.0 to 3.8 NW 6.5? Thanks Hi Mark, That's not correct. You can install BM3.8 on NW6.5, NW6.0 or NW5.1. Just upgrade to BM3.8, trying to follow as much as possible the recommended installation sequence in this web site: http://www.craigjconsultin...

Installing a Netware 6.5 server into existing NW 6.0 Sp5 tree
I want to install a new NetWare 6.5 Server into an existing Netware 6.0 environment. Instead of in place or remote, I want to place a new NetWare 6.5 Server into that tree. Can anyone tell me if this procedure will work with out problems. I also came across TID10086998, which recommends to upgrade your eDirectory to 8.7.3 prior to upgrade. , > I also came across TID10086998, which recommends to upgrade your eDirectory > to 8.7.3 prior to upgrade. > Yes. That is recommended. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Isla...

NW 6.0 SP3 to NW 6.5 migration
Why can we not do a 6.0 to 6.5 migration using the Migration Wizard. To me this is very important. The whole point of the Migration Wizard is so you don't have to do an inplace upgrade and so you can have a new clean server. Are there plans to add this to the Migration Wizard? That being said.. Here is my plan, setup my new server w/ NW6 (should I worry about any SP on the pre-migration install?), run the migration wizard and migrate the server. Reboot the server to make sure it comes up OK. Then do in-place upgrade to NW6.5. Reboot to make sure it works. Then install...

From NW 6.0/GW 6.5 to NW 6.5/GW 7 New Hardware
I have new hardware upon which I want to run NW 6.5, and GW 7. I found the Cool Solutions Article titled "Consultants Corner: Tips for Upgrading to GroupWise 7" I am only dealing with a single post office, GWIA and Webaccess. Looking for any Advice, gotcha's, document's I can be pointed to, etc. I have no room on the current 6.0 server any more, so I am hoping any upgrading to the files woudl be done after moving the DBs over... Phil Phil Smith wrote: > I have new hardware upon which I want to run NW 6.5, and GW 7. > > I found the Cool Soluti...

Installing the NW 6.5 SP3 Overlay CD over a NW 6.5 SP2 server
At Brainshare last week, I found out that if you simply apply the NW 6.5 SP3 support pack, you will not get the upgrade to iManager 2.5 or the new VO or some other features. However, if you install the NW 6.5 SP3 Overlay CD over your current NW 6.5 server, you will get the option to apply these features. My question is how do you exactly go about doing this? Is it enough to just put the SP3 Overlay Products CD in the server and then run install from it? Or do I need to start with the SP3 Overlay OS CD? If so, how do I make sure that I don't blow away my current NW 6....

After NW 6.0 to 6.5 fresh install, 6.0 NSS volume not accessible
I just installed Small Business Suite v6.6 (NW 6.5) over nw 6.0sp4. This was a fresh install on a single-server LAN, not an upgrade (very small tree). The installation went great and, using LIST DEVICES on SYSTEM CONSOLE and NSSMU the SYS and DOS volumes drive show up normally. However, an NSS Western Digital 180 GB PATA drive containing data does not - although NSSMU shows the drive under DEVICES, it is reported with no partitions, and therefore cannot be added to pools and cannot be mounted as a volume. My latest tape backup failed after tape #1, so the drive in question is...

NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 Upgrade to NW 6.0 GW 6.5 and New Hardware
We are planning on upgrading a mirrored NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 server to a raid 5 NW 6.0 GW 6.5 server in a mixed NW 5.0/NW 6.0 environment. My supervisor has been having me try restoring NDS from a tape backup onto test servers to simulate our production network before implementing the upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to simulate our production network (Is it necessary to do this) for testing? and/or Is there more than one method to accomplish the transition between old NW5.0/GW5.5 and new NW6.0/GW6.5 and a specific order to follow for that method? My superv...

Cannot install iManager 2.6 Nw 6.5 OES
I am having problems with a Bordermanager server so I am setting up a completely new one beside the old one. I created a new Context to put the server in and have Novell 6.5 OES SP7 on there with BM 3.9. I am trying to reconfigure my vpn and figured out that NWADMN32 no longer works and the plugins for iManager 2.7 are not ready yet. I have the stand alone install of iManager 2.6 but it will not install. I get the error message "....(java.io.filenotfoundexception .. \data\imanagerinst.db" and I cannot get past this. I installed iManager 2.6 on my Windows workstation and can...

NW 6.5 in 6.0 SP3/4 tree
I want to upgrade (Migration Wizard) one of NW 6.0 SP3 to 6.5 SP2 Rest of the network are a mix of 6.0 SP3 & SP4. master replica is SP4 & at this moment I do not want to upgrade. Anything I should be wary of? Thanks Seb Sebastian Cerazy, > I want to upgrade (Migration Wizard) one of NW 6.0 SP3 to 6.5 SP2 > Rest of the network are a mix of 6.0 SP3 & SP4. master replica is SP4 & at > this moment I do not want to upgrade. > > Anything I should be wary of? > > Thanks > > Seb > As long as you've got 8.6.2 SP4 installed...

NW 5.1 w/ eDir 8.6.2 > NW 6 w/ eDir 8.7 Plan
I have read most of the posting for getting a NW 5.1 environment to NW6 and have made notes on many points. But allow me to explain our environment, sorry for the amount of information. Our second tree contains 3 Dell servers (more than enough horse power for NW6) running NetWare 5.1 SP6 with eDirectory 8.6.2 SP3 with both IPX and IP bound to a single NIC. These servers set behind a load balancing product and provide LDAP authentication and look ups for our mixed OS environment (NW, NT, 2K, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX) no LDAPs yet. Edirectory has 2 partitions [ROOT] an...

Netware 5.0 SBS with GW 5.5 to NW 6.5 with GW 6.5
I am assisting a client with a migration from NW 5.0 w/ GW 5.5 to new server hardware (will be replacing the old server) running NW 6.5 with GW 6.5 via the 7.1 Migration Wizzard. I am still a little unsure of the best migration path. I planned on migrating straight from NW 5 and GW 5.5 to NW 6.5 and GW 6.5. However, other people indicate that it is not a clean migration. Furthermore, the documentation states that I will have to re-install GW6.5 to update the NLMs on the Target after the migration. Won't this overwright my information store? Perhaps I am supposed to m...

NW 6.0 SP3 -> NW 6.5 upgrade w/ cluster
Hi, I am wondering if I can migrate all my resources over to one server in the cluster and upgrade the "empty" one to NW 6.5, then migrate the resources back over to the upgraded 6.5 server and upgrade the other to 6.5. Anyone done this? Does it go ok? Anything to be aware of? Thanks!! Yes you can. Nw 6.5 allows both NCS 1.6 and 1.7 to coexist and it is covered in the NW 6.5 upgrade documentation for clustering. Jeff "Mark Clark" <M-Clark@wiu.edu> wrote in message news:MPG.1a3ea6a7f78993bc9896bc@support-forums.novell.com... > ...

Web resources about - OES NW 6.5 SP3 install into NW 6.0 eDirectory 8.6.2 Tree - novell.edirectory.netware

NetIQ eDirectory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations . Please improve this article by introducing more precise citations. eDirectory ...

Edit Overview - Novell - CrunchBase Company Profile
Please provide a descriptive, neutral, third-person overview of this company. Avoid marketing language. Start with one sentence that best describes ...

Town of Richmond Hill - Visitor
Business - Visitor - Text Only - Contact Us Services A To Z Accessibility Arenas Assessment Rolls Birth Registration Budget Building Inspections ...

HTML5
HTML5

Baytown Chamber of Commerce
The Baytown Chamber of Commerce is a not-for-profit organization and is owned and operated by local business leaders who work to promote business ...

Novell - Blackboard
Novell helped invent the corporate network in the early 1980s and continues to drive technology for business today. Network software began with ...

Sitemap - Capitalhead.com
Sitemap for Capitalhead.com - Contractors to the World

Google Apps Migration, Migrate to Google Apps : Cloud Sherpas
We're the Google Apps migration experts and can help you migrate to Google Apps from any on-premise system such as Exchange, Lotus and GroupWise. ...

Course Catalogue
Course Catalogue

Fijilive RSS Feeds - Gateway to Fiji, Fiji News, Fiji eDirectory, Fiji Magic, Fiji Real Estate, Fiji ...
Discover Fijilive with RSS Fijilive is now accessible via RSS. As a Fijilive user you can now access Fijilive services on your desktop with ...