NW6.5.6 + SP7 = eDir 8.7.3.9 SMP, Install from NW65sp7.OVL = eDir 8.8 SP2 SMP

Hi.

A tree has three servers, all updated from NW6.5.6 to NW6.5.7 and now another
server had to be installed into that tree.

We used NW6.5.7 overlay CDs (OS + Products), and this server is eDir 8.8 sp2
while those NW6.5SP7 was applied to are eDir 8.7.3.9

In http://www.novell.com/download/ I was looking for 8.8 update, but just find
iManager plugins and patches for 8.8

During applying SP7 I didn't see any option to apply eDir 8.8, what did I miss?

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
1/17/2008 9:19:45 PM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

installing just sp7(not the overlay) does not install or patch edir88 at
all.

if you are not ready to goto edir88,,,simply install the sp6 overlay,,then
patch with sp7.

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:19:45 +0000, Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> Hi.
>
> A tree has three servers, all updated from NW6.5.6 to NW6.5.7 and now another
> server had to be installed into that tree.
>
> We used NW6.5.7 overlay CDs (OS + Products), and this server is eDir 8.8 sp2
> while those NW6.5SP7 was applied to are eDir 8.7.3.9
>

> In http://www.novell.com/download/ I was looking for 8.8 update, but just find
> iManager plugins and patches for 8.8
>
> During applying SP7 I didn't see any option to apply eDir 8.8, what did I miss?
>

> Regards, Rudi.
0
Jeff
1/17/2008 9:31:11 PM
Nothing.  Applying SP7 to an existing 6.5 server leaves the current
version of eDir and installs the latest patches.  Installing a new 6.5
server from the sp7 overlay CD installs the server with edir 8.8 sp2.

Look under "What's New" in:
http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp7

I can't tell you why they decided to make that change for the sp7
overlay, perhaps one of the sysops can.

Travis

Rudolf Thilo wrote:
> Hi.
>
> A tree has three servers, all updated from NW6.5.6 to NW6.5.7 and now another
> server had to be installed into that tree.
>
> We used NW6.5.7 overlay CDs (OS + Products), and this server is eDir 8.8 sp2
> while those NW6.5SP7 was applied to are eDir 8.7.3.9
>

> In http://www.novell.com/download/ I was looking for 8.8 update, but just find
> iManager plugins and patches for 8.8
>
> During applying SP7 I didn't see any option to apply eDir 8.8, what did I miss?
>

> Regards, Rudi.
0
Travis
1/17/2008 9:31:17 PM
Travis wrote:

> Nothing.  Applying SP7 to an existing 6.5 server leaves the current version of
> eDir and installs the latest patches.  Installing a new 6.5 server from the sp7
> overlay CD installs the server with edir 8.8 sp2.

Thanks to both of you.

Hot to go to eDir8.8, as I cannot find it in downloads?

Regards, rudi.
0
Rudolf
1/18/2008 6:22:36 PM
why are you hot to goto 88? just curious.

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:22:36 +0000, Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> Travis wrote:
>
>> Nothing.  Applying SP7 to an existing 6.5 server leaves the current version of
>> eDir and installs the latest patches.  Installing a new 6.5 server from the sp7
>> overlay CD installs the server with edir 8.8 sp2.
>
> Thanks to both of you.
>
> Hot to go to eDir8.8, as I cannot find it in downloads?
>
> Regards, rudi.
0
Jeff
1/18/2008 6:39:39 PM
Jeff Johnson wrote:

> why are you hot to goto 88? just curious.

I'm not hot to go to 8.8, but as new installed NW6.5sp7 Server *ALWAYS* are 8.8
and I do not like to do a NW6.5.6 + SP7 install for new servers I was wondering
if it's not better to bring them all to eDir 8.8.

Any trouble (with 8.7->8.8) you are aware of? I mean: Why *NOT* to go to 8.8,
e.g. any incompatiblity problems with older (NW + 3rd party) products?

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
1/18/2008 8:12:20 PM
Hi Rudi,

Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> Hot to go to eDir8.8, as I cannot find it in downloads?

Hmm. I must be special. I go to download.novell.com, enter "edirectory"
in the search, and hit "search". Surprisingly, eDir8.8.2 is he second
hit in the lsit, not the first one. <g>

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Hy6G7XZcNXg~  ??

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
0
ab
1/19/2008 1:29:14 AM
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Hi Rudi,
>
> Rudolf Thilo wrote:
> >
> > Hot to go to eDir8.8, as I cannot find it in downloads?
>
> Hmm. I must be special. I go to download.novell.com, enter "edirectory"
> in the search, and hit "search". Surprisingly, eDir8.8.2 is he second
> hit in the lsit, not the first one. <g>

Oh, thanks.

My fault was to expect that the search results will follow the same schema across
products:

Choosing e.g. Prod = NetWare, Ver = NW6.5.7 I get the install media (overlays) as
well.

Choosing Prod = eDir, Ver = eDir 8.8 and just get a iM plugins. To thet the
install media for eDir 8.8 you must *NOT* choose Ver = eDir 8.8

BTW: Do you see any constrains to go eDir 8.8?

Among others especially the eDir 8.8.2 "Nested Groups" feature seems to be a very
attractive feature...

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Hy6G7XZcNXg~

in the docu

http://www.novell.com/documentation/edir88/index.html

the link given in 1.1 prereq. is a dead one:

http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&amp;docType=kc&amp;externalI
d=3171434&amp;sliceId=SAL_Public&amp;dialogID=44581712&amp;stateId=0%200%204458568
4

so is there any reason *NOT* to go eDir 8.8 for a tree with only NW6.5.6 servers?

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
1/20/2008 7:08:12 PM
Peter Kuo wrote:

> Rudolf Thilo wrote:
>
> > Hot to go to eDir8.8, as I cannot find it in downloads?
>
> http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Hy6G7XZcNXg~  ??

Thanks,

I didn't get that one when searching for "eDir" + "eDir 8.8"

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
1/20/2008 7:09:21 PM
Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> so is there any reason NOT to go eDir 8.8 for a tree with only NW6.5.6
servers?

This is very moment, there is an annoying bug in 8.8SP2 that the objects
listed in C1/iMan are NOT in sorted order as it once was. There are also
some minor issues that I've reported to Novell on. As for the Nested Group
thing, I am not entirely sure it works as one expects, yet (at least not
the way MS does it), so I would caution one to test it out in a lab setup
before putting into production.

If you can "live" with the unsorted issue, I see no major reason why one
should not go to 8.8Sp2.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=3613414&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=54732988&stateId=0%200%2054744197

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
Travis wrote:

> Nothing.  Applying SP7 to an existing 6.5 server leaves the current
> version of eDir and installs the latest patches.  Installing a new
> 6.5 server from the sp7 overlay CD installs the server with edir 8.8
> sp2.
>
> Look under "What's New" in:
> http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp7
>
> I can't tell you why they decided to make that change for the sp7
> overlay, perhaps one of the sysops can.

Nothing special. Novell has decided that when you patch an existing 6.5
server it will install 8.7.3.9. When it is a new server it will install
eDir 8.8 Sp2.

--
Cheers,
Edward
<Peter@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>some minor issues that I've reported to Novell on. As for the Nested Group
>thing, I am not entirely sure it works as one expects, yet (at least not
>the way MS does it), so I would caution one to test it out in a lab setup
>before putting into production.

Agreed. It's only for LDAP applications. If you're expecting more than
that, you may want to look closely.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_
1/22/2008 10:20:07 PM
Have you played with the nested group, David? I haven't a chance yet.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:11:20 +0000, Peter Kuo wrote:

> Have you played with the nested group, David? I haven't a chance yet.

0
Jeff
1/23/2008 12:34:38 AM
Bet you there was a 100K+ user site said quietly "we 'want' this feature"

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
0
Peter
1/23/2008 6:35:27 AM
you are probably right. but i also bet there are more 100+ plus sites
saying work on more important things :)

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:35:27 +0000, Peter Kuo wrote:

> Bet you there was a 100K+ user site said quietly "we 'want' this feature"

Jeff
1/23/2008 1:39:59 PM
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:11:20 GMT, "Peter Kuo"
<Peter@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>Have you played with the nested group, David? I haven't a chance yet.

I did, back when it was in the 8.8.2 beta, prior to eDir getting rolled
in to the NW65/OES service pack beta.

It worked, as advertised. But it's really just a set of LDAP attributes
being made to look like group memberships to an LDAP application. It
doesn't use the standard group member attributes, nor does it have any
way to be an eDirectory security principal, so you can't use it to
assign ACLs in eDir or make use of it in the NetWare file systems.

That, to me, limited its usefulness.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_
1/23/2008 5:16:11 PM
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:35:27 GMT, "Peter Kuo"
<Peter@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>Bet you there was a 100K+ user site said quietly "we 'want' this feature"

I have a 100k+ user site, and want something else. I got "nested
groups".

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_
1/23/2008 5:16:13 PM
Jeff Johnson wrote:

> i also bet there are more 100+ plus sites
> saying work on more important things

Which means exactly zero if they are <50K user sites ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
David Gersic wrote:

> I have a 100k+ user site, and want something else. I got "nested
> groups".

You only get one strike <g>

--

Peter