Netware 6.5 SP6 > edir 8.8.3 Upgrade

I have performed an edir upgrade to 8.8.3 on a Netware 6.5 SP6 Servers
in a large tree, where 8.7.3 was there previously. There was no errors
during the install itself including during the health check. After doing
the install however, I am confronted with many edirectory
inconsistencies. (even on master replica). Eg many user objects have
group memberships which were not there previously,  and if checking the
corresponding group object and its membership the user is not there ?. I
have run many dsrepairs (no errors) and timesync is all in check. I did
many backups before I performed the edir upgrade however I do not want
to revert back unless the last resort. Has anyone else experienced these
inconsistencies moving to 8.8.3, is there any other dsrepair operations
that can be tried.

--
nickvazir

nickvazir
10/1/2008 3:16:02 PM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

nickvazir wrote:

> 8.8.3 on a Netware 6.5 SP6 Servers

From the 8.8.3 docs:  "NOTE: Installing eDirectory 8.8 SP3 is not
supported on NetWare 5.1, NetWare 6.0, NetWare 6.5 SP4, SP5, and SP6."

Suggest you update your SP as a starting point.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
Peter;1649553 Wrote:
> nickvazir wrote:
>
> > 8.8.3 on a Netware 6.5 SP6 Servers
>
> From the 8.8.3 docs:  "NOTE: Installing eDirectory 8.8 SP3 is not
> supported on NetWare 5.1, NetWare 6.0, NetWare 6.5 SP4, SP5, and SP6."
>
> Suggest you update your SP as a starting point.
>

> --
>

> Peter
> eDirectory Rules!
> 'DreamLAN Network Consulting Ltd. - Leading Authority on eDirectory and
> LDAP technologies' (http://www.DreamLAN.com)

Did you check to see if there were any stuck obits before you upgraded?

--
toroberts
toroberts's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14635

0
toroberts
10/2/2008 7:56:03 AM
Who? /Me/ ?

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

--
nickvazir
nickvazir's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=31077
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=345615

0
nickvazir
10/2/2008 4:56:02 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:16:02 GMT, nickvazir
<nickvazir@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>I have performed an edir upgrade to 8.8.3 on a Netware 6.5 SP6 Servers
>in a large tree, where 8.7.3 was there previously. There was no errors
>during the install itself including during the health check. After doing
>the install however, I am confronted with many edirectory
>inconsistencies. (even on master replica). Eg many user objects have
>group memberships which were not there previously,  and if checking the
>corresponding group object and its membership the user is not there ?. I
>have run many dsrepairs (no errors) and timesync is all in check.

Just a couple of notes for your own information:

There's nothing special about a "master" replica. It's just the same as
a "read/write", except for a couple of special roles it takes on during
things like partition operations and obit processing. It's not
necessarily any more right, or wrong, just by virtue of being the
master.

DSrepair doesn't check for logical problems like users that have group
memberships, but the group doesn't have the user listed as a member. You
can fix it, but you can't fix it with dsrepair.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp            http://forums.novell.com

 Please post questions in the newsgroups.   No support provided via email.
0
dgersic_
10/2/2008 5:06:01 PM
nickvazir wrote:

> I have noticed something else interesting and that is that
> in the "other" tab of the group object properties, I can see that there
> is An Attribute called "Group Membership" with various other groups in
> Edir.. Is this a bug in the Group Nesting Aspect of edir ?

http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=3903279&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=75537109&stateId=1%200%2011728165

ie its cosmetic ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
nickvazir wrote:

> I have noticed something else interesting and that is that
> in the "other" tab of the group object properties, I can see that there
> is An Attribute called "Group Membership" with various other groups in
> Edir.. Is this a bug in the Group Nesting Aspect of edir ?

BTW, it seems to only happen on NetWare for some strange reason ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

eDir Netware 6.5 sp6 8.7.3.9 to 8.8.5 ??
I have several Netware 6.5 sp6 8.7.3.9 servers. When I do a version at the Console the result is Novell Open Enterprise Server Netware 6.5. I'll assume this is OES1 as we have not upgraded the Netware servers to OES2. The eDir 8.8.5 documentation lists the prerequistes as OES2 and OES2sp1 as well as Netware 6.5 sp7 or higher. Do I have to upgrade these servers to OES2 before I can upgrade to eDir 8.8.5? I would like to first patch these servers to sp8 and then upgrade eDirectory to 8.8.5. Will this be OK? All the documentation I come across specifies OES2 only and no...

Can I do a rolling upgrade of eDir 8.6.2 to 8.7.3 on a NetWare 5.1 cluster?
Hi, Can I do a rolling upgrade of eDir 8.6.2 to 8.7.3 on a NetWare 5.1 cluster? If so what would be the procedure..?? -SP7 for netware 5.1 -NICI update -JVM? -TCP/IP patches -TSA patches -NSS patches -PSP 7 -healthcheck -deployment manager netware 6.5 for updating to eDir 8.7.3 (overlay cd SP1.1) -8.7.3.1 postfix -healthcheck -? anymore suggestions..? -- Thanx, Louis G�hl Afdeling ICT Ziekenhuis de Tjongerschans Thialfweg 44 8441 PW Heerenveen Postbus 10500 tel : 0513 685072 fax: 0513 685965 www.tjongerschans.nl Louis_G�hl, It appears that in th...

Edirectory upgrade to 8.8.5 on netware 6 sp5
Hello, i'm attempting to upgrade my file server's edirectory to version 8.8.5 on my netware 6 sp5 server. everytime i got to run the upgrade it copies files and then returns back to the console screen and doesn't continue with the installation. when i look at the logger screen i see this "server-5.60-141: Unaable to find load file SYS:\System\nds8temp\install\ICDM.NLM" i even copied that file off of the edirectory cd to this directory on the server and when i tried to start the installation again, i found myself facing the same problem. please someone help!! i n...

Netware 6.5sp7 edir 8.8 sp2 --> 8.8 sp3 errors
Good Morning! On a tree with all netware 6.5sp7 boxes, I am getting the following error on all of the servers that had edir 8.8 sp2 installed. Any server that still had 8.7.x installed upgraded fine. During the install of edir 8.8.3, as nwconfig restarts with the nds8.ncf file (which follows) I get the errors listed below. nds8.ncf file ----------------- delay 3 # 9/18/2008 3:21:48 unload nwconfig # 9/18/2008 3:21:48 nwconfig b=SYS:\SYSTEM\NDS8TEMP\install\nls\4\nds8.ils s=SYS:\SYSTEM\NDS8TEMP d=C:\NWSERVER e=c:\error.log rf=sys:\_netware\response.rsp # 9/18/2008 ...

NetWare 6.5 SP7 and eDirectory 8.7 or 8.8
I don't know if this is by design or we have missed something. Anyway, We have an eDirectory tree running servers from NetWare 5.1 to 6.5. The tree started it's live from NetWare 4.1. :-) The master of the [Root] is running NetWare 6.5 eDirectory 8.7. When we installed SP7 into it, eDirectory was updated to 8.7.3.9, NDS Version 10553.73. Everythings is fine. However, we installed a new NetWare 6.5 server using the SP7 Overlay CDs into a child partition, we were surprised that the new server was installed with eDirectory 8.8 (NDS Version 20216.51). The server is eve...

Migration from 6.0 -> 6.5 (EDIR 8.7.1
Hi All: I've prepared a new box as a NW6.5 "pre-migration" server according to the specs for such. Am going to use Migration Wizard 7.1 to bring my old NW6.0 over (Master Replication, SLPDA, CA). Forgive my ignorance but if the source server's version of EDirectory is 8.7.1 and the destination server's version is 8.7.3 which version will I end up with after the migration? Should I upgrade EDirectory on the source sever before the migration? TIA Greg Sorry wrong forum On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:24:53 GMT, Greg Young <N0_Spam_Greg.Young@Xtc4...

Migration from 6.0 -> 6.5 (EDIR 8.7.1
Hi All: I've prepared a new box as a NW6.5 "pre-migration" server according to the specs for such. Am going to use Migration Wizard 7.1 to bring my old NW6.0 over (Master Replication, SLPDA, CA). Forgive my ignorance but if the source server's version of EDirectory is 8.7.1 and the destination server's version is 8.7.3 which version will I end up with after the migration? Should I upgrade EDirectory on the source sever before the migration? TIA Greg You will end up with 8.7.3, no need to upgrade eDir first. If this is your first 6.5 server in the...

eDir 8.8 SP3 upgrade not listed on the download site under NetWare 6.5 SP7...
eDir 8.8 SP3 is supported under NW65SP7, as per the install instructions at http://www.novell.com/documentation/edir88/edirin88/data/a2qqhob.html, but if I look for updates to NetWare 6.5 SP7 under the download site it doesn't list it? Go to http://download.novell.com and choose product=NetWare, version=NetWare 6.5 SP7, and leave it at all dates and SEARCH, and it's not in the list of patches? It does however list the FTF2 for 8.8 SP2... Am I looking for these updates the wrong way? I want to know about any updates available for NetWare 6.5 SP7 as this is what I'm...

Upgrade NW5.1/eDir 8.7.3.4 to 6.5/sp2/eDir 8.7.3.4
I have some NW5.1 servers running eDir 8.7.3.4. I want to upgrade them using the NW 6.5 sp2 overlay CD. I assume I will have to reapply the NICI, NMAS, PKI and eDir patches after the upgrade? The overlay CD installed eDir 8.7.3. Is this going to cause a problem? Thanks for any advice. Joe On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:07:48 +0000, J.R. Haynes wrote: Shouldn't be a problem. But why not use the SP3 overlay CD instead? -- //Niclas Ekstedt ____________________________________________ Niclas Ekstedt, CNA/CNE/CNS/CLS Network Consultant/NSC Sysop InfraSystems Solutions __________...

Edirectory 8.8.5 update on Netware 6.5 sp8 server
I have a netware 6.5 sp8 server which is running edirectory 8.8.4. I'm getting an error when I try to upgrade to edirectory 8.8.5. I'm using nwconfig and Installing the product by pointing to the nds8.ips file in the extracted folder. It goes through the file copy but then it goes back to the nwconfig screen. It never asks me for the admin authentication. When I check the logger screen I see: Loading Module DSCHECK.NLM [ INIT FAIL ] If I run dscheck.nlm manually, it runs successfully, however it fails when doing the upgrade. ...

Netware 5.1 (nds 8.51) to Netware 6.5 edirectory
I am planning to upgrade novell netware 5.1 with sp6 and nds 8.51 (not edirectory) to Netware 6.5. I have 20 servers all with the same version/level. What are the best way to achieve this? I am having few concerns about the nds version and do we need to update the nds first or directly upgrade to netware 6.5 as it is now? , > I am planning to upgrade novell netware 5.1 with sp6 and nds 8.51 (not > edirectory) > to Netware 6.5. I have 20 servers all with the same version/level. What > are the best way to achieve this? I am having few concerns about the nds ...

6.5 SP8 8.7.3.10 SMP Upgrade to 8.8 edir
We have about 70 6.5 servers running 8.7.3.10 SMP and need to deploy authentication for leopard (Mac) which requires nmas and universal which is forcing us to 8.8 I have a VM test enviroment, but a little lost. I have a down load 8.8 SP5. -- wwarbine ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Not sure what your actual question or problem is ... ? How to update to 8.8.5? http://www.novell.com/documentation/edir88/pdfdoc/edirin88_sp5/edirin88.pdf -- Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed abo...

Upgrading eDir 8.7.3.10 to 8.8.4 on NW 6.5
Hello we are following TID 7002926 Upgrading eDir 8.7.3.10 to 8.8.4 on NW 6.5 regarding this procedure the first issue I am having is that I cannot seem to find eDirectory 8.8.3 on the Novell Download sight. I have seen that 8.8.5 is the version currently available, should we just be planning on upgrading to that, and ignoring the information we have in the TID? The final line in the TID "To upgrade eDirectory 8.7.3.x to eDirectory 8.8.4 on NW 6.5, install eDirectory 8.8.3 first then apply NW 6.5 SP8" This applies to our next issue. Another issue that we are facing is tha...

Edir 8.7.3.5\ 8.7.3.6\8.7.3.4
Ok Iam confused with the roll back issue. What is the Edir that is working Iam hearing Novell rolled back 8.3.6 but I can only see that 8.7.3.4 is stable but Iam not hearing if 8.7.3.5 is ok. Iam on 8.7.3.5 and Iam having issue with keeping edir healthy. So is this my issue and or how do you roll back if I need to. Also I see some said " dsrapir full attened is not the preferred way of getting ds healthy so what is this about I have not heard of this before. Thanks to anyone who can clear this up while I wait for ssupport to get back to me on the phone. Hi, 8735 came with N...

Web resources about - Netware 6.5 SP6 > edir 8.8.3 Upgrade - novell.edirectory.netware

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ