Groups of groups

I need to add groups of users to a new group. Is there a way or
workaround to do this? A customer is telling me that you can do in AD...
Miguel
1/6/2006 2:28:30 PM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Miguel Cando,

Yes AD can do nested groups but eDirectory can't.
One way to get around it is to use Dynamic Groups
or create a new container and place the objects in
there instead if possible.

In all my years I've never had the need for nested groups.

Niclas Ekstedt, CNA/CNE/CNS/CLS
Network Consultant/NSC Sysop
InfraSystems Solutions

0
Niclas
1/6/2006 2:32:35 PM
There is no "group of groups" in eDirectory.
However you can easily add the members of an existing group to a new group
in a single operation using the "properties of multiple users" function.
For example, if you use ConsoleOne, proceed as followins:

- create the new group
- select the old group
- select "File" -> "Properties of multiple objects"
You will now get a dialog box similar to the normal user properties but
you now have all users of the group selected. Under "Membership" simply
add these users to the new group.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
> Yes AD can do nested groups but eDirectory can't.

The reason AD has to do this is because a container cannot be a
security principal, hence you end up creating *lots* of groups where no
groups are needed in eDir.

So, Miguel, can you tell us a little bit more what you want to do?
Perhaps a dynamic group or even a container object might do the trick?

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
1/6/2006 2:48:12 PM
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:28:30 GMT, Miguel Cando <mcando@tgs.com.ar> wrote:

>I need to add groups of users to a new group. Is there a way or
>workaround to do this? A customer is telling me that you can do in AD...

MAD does groups of groups because it does not have inheritance of rights at the
OU level.

eDir does *NOT* do groups of groups because it was designed first, and supports
rights inheritance via the OU or Group membership.

While it is technically possible to stick a group object in to the membership
list of a group, the result is meaningless because eDir rights inheritance
doesn't work that way.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_
1/6/2006 3:21:09 PM
A customer is evaluating eDir and AD (they have a mixed environment) and
told us his developer needs to use nested groups for his app to work.
Unfortunately I don't know any details except that there'll be using ldap
for this.
Thanks!

El Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:48:12 +0000, Anders Gustafsson escribi�:

> Niclas Ekstedt,
>> Yes AD can do nested groups but eDirectory can't.
>>
> The reason AD has to do this is because a container cannot be a
> security principal, hence you end up creating *lots* of groups where no
> groups are needed in eDir.
>
> So, Miguel, can you tell us a little bit more what you want to do?
> Perhaps a dynamic group or even a container object might do the trick?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Miguel
1/7/2006 12:08:19 AM
Thanks Marcel!, will try that on Monday.

El Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:45:14 +0000, Marcel Cox escribi�:

> There is no "group of groups" in eDirectory.
> However you can easily add the members of an existing group to a new group
> in a single operation using the "properties of multiple users" function.
> For example, if you use ConsoleOne, proceed as followins:
>
> - create the new group
> - select the old group
> - select "File" -> "Properties of multiple objects"
> You will now get a dialog box similar to the normal user properties but
> you now have all users of the group selected. Under "Membership" simply
> add these users to the new group.

0
Miguel
1/7/2006 12:09:17 AM
Is clear to me now, thank you David.

0
Miguel
1/7/2006 12:10:32 AM
Miguel Angel Cando,

In that case, perhaps using Dynamic Groups could work.
Dynamic Groups is actually using LDAP.

Niclas Ekstedt, CNA/CNE/CNS/CLS
Network Consultant/NSC Sysop
InfraSystems Solutions

0
Niclas
1/7/2006 5:14:15 AM
Miguel Angel Cando,
> Unfortunately I don't know any details except that there'll be using ldap
> for this.

OK. Without knowing anything more I would say Dynamic groups then, but look
into this carefully so that this developer does not create an
administrative nightmare. One prime example is AD itself in a Windows
environment. Since a container cannot be a security principal, ie be used
to hand out file system rights, if you are on AD, you need to create a
group for every OU where you want to hand out rights.

In eDir you use the container instead

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
1/7/2006 8:21:48 AM
Note that this proedure is static. E.g. the users become member of the new
group at the moment you do the operation. Any changes on the "source"
group later do not produce automatic changes on the "destination" group.

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.6.6)
0

join group...which group?
Looking at: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XPCOM the newsgroup, mailing list, google group, these are all supposed to mirror each other? I'm on the mozilla firefox newsgroup, but mozilla.dev.tech.xpcom is mostly dead, at least recently. Is this google groups mailing list available on gmane, perhaps? gmane.comp.mozilla.devel.xpcom looks like the right group, but it's dead, too. It says that it's a gateway to mozilla-xpcom@mozilla.org, but that's probably broken, I'm guessing. I haven't looked at that mailing list archives, how...

group by if groups overlap
What's the way to go if you want to use group by, but the groups overlap. For example: Get the orders if the order date between 2009-01-01 till 2009-01-31 2009-01-01 till 2009-03-31 2009-01-01 till 2009-12-31 Thanks Eric On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:40:01 +0200, Ontsnapt <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote: > What's the way to go if you want to use group by, but the groups > overlap. For example: > > Get the orders if the order date between > 2009-01-01 till 2009-01-31 > 2009-01-01 till 2009-03-31 > 2009-01-01 till 2009-12-31 you create a t...

Groups within Groups
Hi, Does anyone know if there are plans to enable groups to be members of other groups? It would be so handy! The facility's been available in the Lotus Domino directory for as long as I can remember, and I think it's even possible in <shudder> active directory. Thanks, Iain On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:52:17 +0000, Iain McLaren wrote: Yes both Domino and AD has this feature, NDS/eDir doesn't. AFAIK, the issue is the security equivalences nested groups means that you have transitive rights, which NDS/eDir doesn't support. However IIRC, you can do s...

Make group be member of another group(nestet groups)
Hi! We have an IDM-sollution with wlan-authentication. We run eDir on OES2 Linux that also run iManager 2.7.3 All wlan-traffic goes trough a HP Access Controll Server. The ACS place users in the right VLAN based on group-membership. We are a school and all students in one class is member of its class-group. What we want is to put this class-group into another group called "exam". So if all students in this class now also are member of "exam", then the HP ACS will put then in its own VLAN that have limited access to Internet. In this case we talk about group-...

groups within groups
Does the latest Tbird allow groups to be contained within other groups? Bill On 23.05.2014 11:11, William S Krol wrote: --- Original Message --- > Does the latest Tbird allow groups to be contained > within other groups? > Bill Do you have an example? Could it be a feature of the particular groups sofware? -- Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/ Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org Mozilla Contributor Member - www.mozilla.org/credits/ On 23.05.2014 ...

Grouping group details
I have a datawindow created by a join of customer info and transaction info that (simplified) looks like this: Customer name: Service Service Cost Currently, everything is grouped on the name so I would get: Bob Smith Svc1 $10 Svc1 $10 Svc1 $10 Svc2 $20 Svc3 $30 Svc3 $30 Total $110 What I'd like to do instead is get: Bob Smith Svc1 $30 Svc2 $20 Svc3 ...

group member of group
Is it possible to assign a group membership in another group like with Microsoft? This would be useful when assigning file systems rights. I have tried making ou's members of groups but the ou does not inherit the file system rights. No - not the way you want to use it. A group can't be a member of another group. You must assign the rights to multiply groups or at OU level. Actualy you can make a group a member of a dynmic group - but file rights assigned to dynamic group is not supported by the file system because it depend on the 'memberOf' attribute on the ...

Groups which a group is a member of
I'm trying to script an output which would tell me the groups which a group is a member of. Does anyone know where I would look for this one? If you have the distinguishedName of the group, you can search the ad for groups that have the attribute member set to this value.So your filter would be:(&(objectClass=group)(member=<dn_of_group>))Here's an article on CodeProject that explains searching with DirectoryServices:Querying Active Directory using .NET classes and LDAP queries If this post was useful to you, please mark it as answer. Thank you!...

Synchronise eDirectory Group Members to AD Security Group
Hi, As a complete newbie with IDM, I have managed to install IDM onto a NetWare Server 6.5 SP5 and installed a Remote Loader onto a Microsoft 2003 DC. I am trying to sync members of a group in eDirectory to a Global security group in AD. When I add a user to the eDir group, I receive a warning via the Trace screen running on the DC. The warning is towards the end. It is as follows:- DirXML: [06/24/08 17:20:37.07]: Loader: Calling subscriptionShim->execute() DirXML: [06/24/08 17:20:37.07]: Loader: XML Document: DirXML: [06/24/08 17:20:37.07]: <nds dtdversion="3.0"...

Using Bugzilla Groups to Limit User Group to Group Bugs
I am maintaining my company's Bugzilla installation, and I am currently investigating whether or not it is possible with Bugzilla's current Group Permissions capabilities to achieve a certain isolation goal. Let's say we have three Products A, B, and C and two Clients 1 and 2. We would like to make it so that all staff can see, edit, and modify all bugs for Products A, B, and C while Client 1 can only see, edit, and modify bugs that someone from Client 1 has entered for Product A and Client 2 can only see, edit, and modify bugs that someone from Client 2 has entered for ...

group header appears inside the group when vertical scrolling of group dw
Hello PB 8.03 Windows 2000 SP3 Here is a problem: When I vertically scroll group dw - header of group appears inside the group. It seems like this Before scrolling (after retrieve) : ------------------ Group header xx detail row xx detail row xx detail row xx detail row xx detail row xx detail row xx After scrolling up and down: ---------------------------- Group header xx detail row xx detail row xx detail row xx detail row xx Group header xx detail row xx detail row xx It seems like powerbuilder trying to draw group hea...

Group members randomly no inheriting rights from group after group rights stripped and recreated.
The title says it all. A large group, containing maybe 300 users had it's rights removed and readded. Half of the users within this group are able to access the directories which this group grants rights to, the other half cannot. They have no effective rights to the are in question. Any suggestions as to how I can trace this problem? Thanks. O Johnson, The users with the problem, how many groups are they belonging to? There is a limitation of IIRC 64 groups. Also check that the group and user has the correct references to each other as listed below. -Member attrib of...

Row Evaluation
Hi all I have an interesting question and don't know if an expression can do it. I have a datawindow that has 1 group. Any duplicates within the group are evaluated within an expression and hidden. Then everything is slid up making it look good, however I am getting valid repeats in each group that I would like to hide as well. This is what I see now: Pick Up Company #1 Deliver Company #5 Pick Up Company #1 Deliver Company #8 And this is what I want to see: Pick Up Company #1 Deliver Company #5 Deliver Company #8 Because of the sort criteria I know that if there is ...

Grouping Individual Addresses Into A Group
Can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Maybe someone here can help. I'd like to be able to group a number of e-mail addresses into one, and just send that one address and have the e-mail go to all addresses in the group. Is this possible? How? I'll need group editing ability, also. Addons are acceptable. Alan Fleer Houston, TX Open the address book. Press the New List Button. Give the list a name that is meaningful to you (for example: Drinking Buddies) In the list area below, enter each of the email addresses you want in the group, one per line. As you ...

Web resources about - Groups of groups - novell.edirectory.netware

Eurasia Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New York City, New York , U.S. Offices in London, Washington, D.C. and Tokyo with offices in New York, Washington, London, and Tokyo and more ...

Penalty rates: Business groups, unions prepare for fight ahead of Productivity Commission report
The Productivity Commission is expected to call for an overhaul of penalty rates in a final report into workplace relations due today.

French consumer group sues for right to resell Steam games
(credit: Kyle Orland) A French consumer group has brought a lawsuit against Valve, saying the Steam and its required terms of service infringe ...

Chinese group piles on VW with diesel scandal lawsuit
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , Volkswagen , China The China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation files a public ...

KickassTorrents now has its own movie release group
... a way. One of the biggest names still on the scene is KickassTorrents, and it has now ventured into new territory by starting a release group ...

Fighting ISIS, the world's richest terror group ever
The U.S. and countries around the world are targeting ISIS finances

China’s Senyuan Group Begins Construction On 1 GW Solar Power Park
... company in China is planning to install a large-scale solar power project as part of a grand capacity addition target. The Senyuan Group has ...

Report: ’15 Groups Stand Ready To Succeed ISIS’
Report: ’15 Groups Stand Ready To Succeed ISIS’

Yahoo & NBC Sports Group Re-Up Digital Sports Pact
Yahoo and NBC Sports Group are staying in business together. The two entities announced today they’ve renewed and expanded their digital partnership, ...

French consumer group takes on the Steam user agreement
Valve is being sued by a French consumer group that deems the terms and conditions of the Steam user agreement as "detrimental to consumer interests". ...