Trying to get Linux authentication to work

Hi all,

I have Linux authentication working through LDAP. The problem is the
homDirectory attribute. When I specify a home directory in the UNIX
Profile snap in, it overloads the LDAP attribute with "Home Directory"
from the Environment tab and "Home Directory" in the UNIX Profile tab,
like so

homeDirectory: cn=My_Cluster,ou=tech,o=myCompany#0#USERS\superwashu
/home/superwashu

I haven't been able to figure out how to get my clients to read the
second attribute. I don't know if it's even possible with the linux
ldap client.

I've tried experimenting with LUM, but the documentation regarding
client setup assumes you're using some kind of SuSE. I'm also not sure
what the point of LUM is. Does it give me another LDAP attribute I can
put the linux home directory in? If so, could someone please tell me
the name of that attribute so I can map my linux client to it and be
done?

At the moment I am using an unused property, apple-user-picture, to
store the home directory information. It works fine, but I'd like to do
things "properly" (and hopefully with some batch processing)

thanks to anybody who can shed some light on this. if you couldn't
tell, i'm not exactly an edirectory guru.

--
superwashu

superwashu
6/23/2008 2:16:01 PM
novell.edirectory.linux 3108 articles. 0 followers. Follow

0
ab
6/23/2008 3:46:43 PM
sounds to me like if we didn't map our NDS style home path (is that what
you call NSS?) to LDAP, the problem would be solved.

Like I said, it works fine if I "cheat" and populate an unused
attribute.

This LUM/Posix attribute... what is its name, exactly? I'm not able to
find anything obvious in the "Attribute Map" LDAP setting in iManager.
Is LUM mainly intended for SuSE linux?

thanks for your patience!

--
superwashu
superwashu's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=11629

0
superwashu
6/23/2008 4:26:01 PM
0
ab
6/23/2008 4:33:16 PM
Thanks again for you help. You've helped me understand a lot.

One question remains. How do I make it so that the Home Directory one
sets under the Environment tab does not get mapped to the homeDirectory
LDAP attribute? That appears to be the root of my problem.

Right now I have both that Home Directory and the UNIX Profile "Home
Directory" mapping to the LDAP homeDirectory. I know how to change NDS
-> LDAP mappings in either c1 or iManager, but it seems like both the
UNIX profile home and the NDS style home are referred to as "Home
Directory" by NDS.

The test user with both posixAccount and uamPosixUser. I don't see any
additional attributes for the UNIX style home and homeDirectory LDAP
attribute is still overloaded.

Thank you again for your patience. I'm slowly learning my way around
:)

ab@novell.com;1584127 Wrote:

--
superwashu
superwashu's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=11629
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=333743

0
superwashu
6/24/2008 12:26:01 PM

Now that is the best question I've heard all morning, and let met tell
you why.  By default, to make life nice for people, the NDS attributes
are accessible immediately via LdAP by their names minus spaces, colons,
etc.  So, 'Home Directory' is accessible by 'homedirectory'... 'Public
Key' by 'publickey', SAS:Login Configuration Key' by
'sasloginconfigurationkey'.  I'm sure you see where I'm going with this
regarding 'Home Directory' and 'homeDirectory' as they are both valid
attributes in eDir.

My best and only guess at this point is to create an explicit LDAP
mapping to the attribute you want (homeDirectory) and see if that works.
~  I don't have a box around in which I can create a 'Home Directory'
value (no NetWare or OES w/NSS) or I'd test it myself but if I come
across some this morning I'll post back.

Good luck.

superwashu wrote:
| Thanks again for you help. You've helped me understand a lot.
|
| One question remains. How do I make it so that the Home Directory one
| sets under the Environment tab does not get mapped to the homeDirectory
| LDAP attribute? That appears to be the root of my problem.
|
| Right now I have both that Home Directory and the UNIX Profile "Home
| Directory" mapping to the LDAP homeDirectory. I know how to change NDS
| -> LDAP mappings in either c1 or iManager, but it seems like both the
| UNIX profile home and the NDS style home are referred to as "Home
| Directory" by NDS.
|
| The test user with both posixAccount and uamPosixUser. I don't see any
| additional attributes for the UNIX style home and homeDirectory LDAP
| attribute is still overloaded.
|
| Thank you again for your patience. I'm slowly learning my way around
| :)
|
| ab@novell.com;1584127 Wrote:
| attr name: 'homeDirectory'.  See iMonitor for details.
| Compare/contrast
| with 'Home Directory' for the legacy home directory stuff that
| NetWare/Linux does.  NSS = the filesystem used by NetWare and OES
| Linux.
| ~ Traditional is the filesystem used by old versions of NetWare.
|
| This attribute won't be available on a regular user unless you add the
| posixAccount or uamPosixUser (I forget which) aux class to the object.
| When that is done the other attributes will be available.
|
| LUM is mostly used by SUSE but I believe it works for other systems as
| well, though I don't know the comprehensive list personally.  I've
| heard
| there is an RPM for AIX among other things.
|
| LUM is made to tie workstations/server specifically to eDirectory.  It
| works basically the same way (server-side) as the LDAP client can/does
| for *nix operating systems but it also adds other features like
| authentication when disconnected from the network, more-granular ACLs
| for what the system can do, etc.
|
| Good luck.
|

| superwashu wrote:
| | sounds to me like if we didn't map our NDS style home path (is that
| what
| | you call NSS?) to LDAP, the problem would be solved.
| |
| | Like I said, it works fine if I "cheat" and populate an unused
| | attribute.
| |
| | This LUM/Posix attribute... what is its name, exactly? I'm not able
| | find anything obvious in the "Attribute Map" LDAP setting in
| iManager.
| | Is LUM mainly intended for SuSE linux?
| |
| | thanks for your patience!
| |
| |
0
ab
6/24/2008 2:01:36 PM
So it sounds like eDirectory will overload the homeDirectory attribute
if you have both the NSS home (set under Environment tab... am I
getting the terminology right?) and the UNIX profile home. That seems
like a deficiency unless there is a way to make the LDAP client look at
the 2nd value of homeDirectory, which contains the UNIX path.

Most of the examples I've seen show the UNIX path alone in
homeDirectory. How are they achieving this? Are they simply not using
NSS and therefore not setting anything under the Environment tab? If
so, what might they be doing to map Novell client's home directories?

I have not seen any examples of the NSS style path being in
homeDirectory, though it is in our setup. It would make sense to me if
the NSS info was in ndsHomeDirectory and the UNIX path was in
homeDirectory. However I don't know how to get it working like that.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Sorry to keep peppering you
with questions!

--
superwashu
superwashu's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=11629
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=333743

0
superwashu
6/24/2008 2:36:02 PM

Besides having an explicit mapping for eDir's homeDirectory to LDAP's
homeDirectory try having an explicit mapping from eDir's 'Home
Directory' to something else in LDAP like 'ndsHomeDirectory' to see if
we can override the default.

Good luck.

superwashu wrote:
| So it sounds like eDirectory will overload the homeDirectory attribute
| if you have both the NSS home (set under Environment tab... am I
| getting the terminology right?) and the UNIX profile home. That seems
| like a deficiency unless there is a way to make the LDAP client look at
| the 2nd value of homeDirectory, which contains the UNIX path.
|
| Most of the examples I've seen show the UNIX path alone in
| homeDirectory. How are they achieving this? Are they simply not using
| NSS and therefore not setting anything under the Environment tab? If
| so, what might they be doing to map Novell client's home directories?
|
| I have not seen any examples of the NSS style path being in
| homeDirectory, though it is in our setup. It would make sense to me if
| the NSS info was in ndsHomeDirectory and the UNIX path was in
| homeDirectory. However I don't know how to get it working like that.
|
| Thank you for your time and consideration. Sorry to keep peppering you
| with questions!
|
| ab@novell.com;1584896 Wrote:
0
ab
6/24/2008 2:48:19 PM
let me take a second to calm myself here....

okay.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed eDir's Home Directory -> homeDirectory mapping to
ndsHomeDirectory and now homeDirectory gets correctly populated!

I learned so much in this thread. Thank you! All my love!

--
superwashu
superwashu's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=11629
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=333743

0
superwashu
6/24/2008 3:46:04 PM

That's encouraging.  Thank-you for posting back your success.

Good luck.

superwashu wrote:
| let me take a second to calm myself here....
|
| okay.
|
| THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|
| I changed eDir's Home Directory -> homeDirectory mapping to
| ndsHomeDirectory and now homeDirectory gets correctly populated!
|
| I learned so much in this thread. Thank you! All my love!
|
| ab@novell.com;1584951 Wrote:
| Besides having an explicit mapping for eDir's homeDirectory to LDAP's
| homeDirectory try having an explicit mapping from eDir's 'Home
| Directory' to something else in LDAP like 'ndsHomeDirectory' to see if
| we can override the default.
|
| Good luck.
|

| superwashu wrote:
| | So it sounds like eDirectory will overload the homeDirectory
| attribute
| | if you have both the NSS home (set under Environment tab... am I
| | getting the terminology right?) and the UNIX profile home. That
| seems
| | like a deficiency unless there is a way to make the LDAP client look
| at
| | the 2nd value of homeDirectory, which contains the UNIX path.
| |
| | Most of the examples I've seen show the UNIX path alone in
| | homeDirectory. How are they achieving this? Are they simply not
| using
| | NSS and therefore not setting anything under the Environment tab? If
| | so, what might they be doing to map Novell client's home
| directories?
| |
| | I have not seen any examples of the NSS style path being in
| | homeDirectory, though it is in our setup. It would make sense to me
| if
| | the NSS info was in ndsHomeDirectory and the UNIX path was in
| | homeDirectory. However I don't know how to get it working like that.
| |
| | Thank you for your time and consideration. Sorry to keep peppering
| you
| | with questions!
| |
| | ab@novell.com;1584896 Wrote:
0
ab

Linux security
I read this article, 'CommsDesign - Linux and Security: Mission Impossible?' (http://tinyurl.com/yjfnqqa) and it brings up some good points. With the kernel being at about 11 million lines of code, it is becoming unmanageable, and thereby more vulnerable. Anyway, I found it an interesting read. Don't think I agree with all his points. -- ' ' (http://thecompletecomputerresource.com/) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jonathan_R;2055270 Wrote: > I read this article, 'CommsDesign - Linux and Security: M...

How to get linux 12.5.2 for linux ?
How to get linux 12.5.2 for linux ? thanks. ...

Linux authentication via eDirectory
I'm trying to get a linux system setup to authenticate via eDirectory. I'm using SuSE 9.1 and eDirectory 8.7.3.3. I've found several resources, but nothing complete. Here are some that I've found: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/1630.html http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10081706.htm http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/5706.html http://developer.novell.com/research/appnotes/2002/june/02/apv.htm http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10096245.htm http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue93/pesin.html Does anyone ...

Linux to Linux VPN
Hey All, Hopefully this is something that can be done. I have a main office with a Win2000 server. I have a remote office with 3 computers, right now each of the remote computers connects to the windows2000 server over the internet using VPN with the W2K box being the VPN server. This causes a few problems because of the domain login and the user's are not the ummmm brightest with computers. What I want to do it place a perment VPN with auto re-connect so when they unplug the DSL modem to plug in the Fax (I know I know) and then plug the DSL back in it will re-sync the VPN...

Migrate linux to linux
We want to migrate our gw7 from netware to linux but because we lack a spliffy new server i need to move it to a temporary server first. Thankfully we have an OES2 'test' server currently running in our production tree with suse10 and oes2. After we migrate the Netware server to the test server and get everything running, is it enough to just install the agents on the real server, copy the entire database over from test maintaining path etc, change some ip's in the nds and hit start ? - Arjan On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:46:01 +0000, Arjan wrote: > After we m...

linux client 8 sp2 get with pages not refreshed with linux
Hello, From day 1 that I'm was using the lunix client on my opensuse 11.3 I got the problem that the client isn't responsive all the time and very often, I get a with screen when I open a mail. If I resize the screen I could have luck to see the messages. I use an Intel HD graphics card with custom patched driver because the driver from opensuse 11.3 doesn't support dual screen correctly. Are the related? -- rniesen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 3/23/2011 11:36 AM, rniesen wrote: > > Hello, > ...

Getting started with Linux: Installing, find apps for enterprise Linux
"Finding open source and Linux-supporting software to replace proprietary applications isn't as hard as it used to be. In fact, there is no longer a shortage of non-proprietary business applications that support Linux, says Bernard Golden, CEO of Navica Inc., an IT consulting firm in San Ramon, Calif. To save IT managers some Google searching, he offers a few alternatives and some advice on finding application support in this Q&A." http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1213763,00.html -- js ...

PAM_NAM Authentication OES Linux and eDirectory
Hi NG, I have installed an OES in our productiv environment weeks ago. Now I have had reinstall it. After the reinstall I cannot login as LUM User. When I do a namuserlist -x context I will see all the users. When I try to login (SSH / FTP or TTY) I get the following errormessage: "webtux login[5791]: Failed to look up user 'cmies'." If I try to login with the same User and a wrong Password I get this Message: "Aug 11 15:51:58 webtux login[9013]: PAM_NAM: User cmies unknown to the authentication module Aug 11 15:51:58 webtux login[9013]: FAILED LOGIN 1 ...

User Windows authentication to eDirectory(Linux)
I have a problem with authentication Windows user to base eDirectory. I have a base eDirectory installed on SLES 9. I add user in ConsoleOne and every is ok, but when i log in (i use novell client on windows) i must pass first login & password to eDirectory and later login & password to local account in windows.How can eDirectory create automatically local windows user account when i log in to eDirectory? Hi, This is not a feature of eDirectory. You need to have ZENworks and enable the Dynamic Local users policy or use DirXML/IDM to synchronize accounts between eDirecto...

OSDL Desktop Linux Working Group review of Desktop Linux 2006
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3453502692.html The hard work on Firefox and accessibility gets noted. also: http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5677553068.html -- Steve Lee www.oatsoft.org www.schoolforge.org.uk www.fullmeasure.co.uk ...

Getting netware clients to work on Linux networks
I have a network where I have several outside folks coming into our network, which isn't Netware, to get on to the Internet, use the printers, etc. They have IP addresses and netmasks, but no gateway or DNS settings. What can I use to make their life (and mine) easier when working here without changing settings on their computers? I know Linux supports IPX, but I can't find anything that tells me how to configure it so these users can get online. Is this the correct place to ask this question? If not, where? PS, we're only using Linux, no Windows NT or 2K machines. ...

New to linux, trying to get wireless up and running
I thought a good place to start was to get an internet connection setup so i can read from my computer directly off these forums and other resources. So here it is; opensuse11 installed, yast2 seems to detect my d-link pci wifi card under hardware config., it's a dwa-552 but it calls it ar5416 attempts to setup by editing connections in the little globe on the taskbar show no connections. If i'm starting in the wrong place please guide me. -- eliharp ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Yep, for starters,you are in the wr...

Authenticate Linux to a NetWare eDirectory via LDAP
We have some Linux boxes and NetWare boxes. The Linux boxes don't have Novell eDirectory installed on them. We would like to use the LDAP to authenticate a Linux box but use the NetWare eDir information to authenticate the user. I have found a Novell TID (10081706) that explains how to do this but accessing a Linux eDir. Does anyone know how we could do this with a NetWare eDir. josee.pronovost@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca wrote: > We have some Linux boxes and NetWare boxes. The Linux boxes don't > have Novell eDirectory installed on them. We would like to use the > LDAP ...

Samba: win to linux fine, natilus (linux) to linux asks for password
Hi! Basically that is my particular issue, adding that I've set it up over openvpn as well, to the same server. [win -> linux] - see public (for existing users) shares and try to enter them - when asked for user and password, can see the contents of the public share along with my home folder - can see the shared local printer, and open and view current print jobs on the server (cannot print tough, will write another post about that) [linux to linux] - try to access the server via smbclient -L and can see shares ok - from nautilus, with the address smb://10.22.22.1 ...

Web resources about - Trying to get Linux authentication to work - novell.edirectory.linux

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices #DigInfo - YouTube
Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices DigInfo TV - http://diginfo.tv 9/3/2012 NFC & Smart WORLD 2012 Sony Authentication ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

ATO boosts service access via app and voice authentication
The ATO has announced it will extend its voice authentication system to its mobile app