Converting single-valued attribute to normal (multi-valued)

In order to add additional attributes to a User object I have created an
Auxiliary Class. Within that class I created a single-valued numeric
string with an ASN1 ID. Due to changing requirements it is now necessary
to change this attribute to a multi-valued case ignore string.

I usually use Designer to do work such as this but, as I'm having some
problems, what I describe here is done with iManager (to remove Designer
from the equation).

There was one object in my tree utilising this auxiliary class (we're
still in development) which I have deleted. I then deleted the auxiliary
class and the attribute in question. Next I restarted eDirectory,
followed by running ndsrepair (all in aid of getting this to work) and
restarting novell-tomcat5 (for iManager). I then create a new attribute
with the same name and ASN1 ID as before, but this time it is a
multi-valued case ignore string, before recreating the auxiliary class.
Using the Schema task in iManager I verified that the new attribute did
not have the 'single value' flag.

After creating a new user, I added the auxiliary class to its object
class and saved the changes. I then tried to add my recreated
multi-valued attribute to the user object. When adding the attribute I
am presented with a single-value text-entry box, rather than the
multi-value entry box that was expected.

As far as I can tell, eDirectory/iManager treats this attribute as
single-valued, even though the Schema task claims it has been changed.
Am I doing something wrong here? Is there something I have missed? Do I
need to do something else to fully purge the old schema/attribute?

In the course of investigating this I've noticed some weirdness in the
way iManager copes with schema changes. I have had to restart tomcat a
number of times for it to notice schema changes. Is this a known issue?

Vital stats:
SLES10 SP1
OES2
Novell eDirectory 8.8 SP2 v20216.63
IDM 3.5.1

--
ChrisReeves

ChrisReeves
2/26/2009 4:06:01 PM
novell.edirectory.linux 3108 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I've just completed another test, the results of which I don't
understand.

I created three new attributes for my auxiliary class and deployed them
(all from Designer this time). The attributes had the following
properties:
TestMulti: multi-valued case ignore string
TestMultiASN: multi-valued case ignore string with ASN1 ID
TestMultiNumeric: multi-valued numeric string
(by multi-valued I actually mean not flagged as single-valued).

Moving to iManager, these attributes weren't available for addition to
my test user. However, after restarting tomcat (*not* eDirectory) these
attributes become available. Weird iManager caching again, methinks.

After the restart, when adding the first two attributes (TestMulti and
TestMultiASN) I am presented with the multi-value entry box, as one
would expect. However, for the numeric string I am presented with only a
single-value text entry box. So an additional question to my original
post is: what's so special about 'numeric string'? Why can't I have a
multi-valued numeric string?

--
ChrisReeves
ChrisReeves's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34172
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=362068

0
ChrisReeves
2/26/2009 5:06:01 PM
ChrisReeves wrote:

> Why can't I have a
> multi-valued numeric string?

Sure you can -- except there is an iManager bug ... use ConsoleOne ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:06:01 +0000, ChrisReeves wrote:

> In the course of investigating this I've noticed some weirdness in the
> way iManager copes with schema changes. I have had to restart tomcat a
> number of times for it to notice schema changes. Is this a known issue?

It's been a while, but I seem to recall running in to something similar
once, and found that yes, Tomcat caches the schema on startup and will
need to be restarted if you make a schema change.

When testing things like this, I generally use an LDIF import. If that
works, it's a bug in the management tool (iManager / ConsoleOne / etc.).

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp            http://forums.novell.com

 Please post questions in the newsgroups.   No support provided via email.

0
David

Single Value to Multi Value attribute
Hi all I have an attribute 'source', in my eDirectory dn: cn=schema changetype: modify add: attributeTypes attributeTypes: ( source-oid NAME 'source' DESC 'to capture the source where the user or group is pulled from' SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 SINGLE-VALUE ) - I need to modify this attribute from Single valued to Multi-value attribute, - I also need to modify the name of this attribute from 'source' to 'uniqueSource' can any one please give me the exact syntax for the the above modifications ...

Mutli-valued attribute to multi-valued attribute
We want to synchronize a multi-valued attribute (created by our own) to a multi-valued attribute in the other edirectory store. But when we are adding attributes we only have the changed values. The previous one is lost. When deleting one value in the Identity Vault then it removes the attribute from the object. Any ideas ? > We want to synchronize a multi-valued attribute (created by our own) to a > multi-valued attribute in the other edirectory store. But when we are > adding attributes we only have the changed values. The previous one is > lost. When deleting ...

Convert Description from Multi-value to single value send to AD
Hello, We use our description field of our groups to describe what the groups function is. We would like to be able to sync this multi-value attribute to AD as a single value seperated by whatever. I know I need to use the for each and nodeset, but I can't seem to be able to concatanate the values into a variable that I can use. Does anyone have an example of this, preferably in policy builder, not xslt/etc. Thanks, Cade On Mon, 01 May 2006 12:15:57 GMT, ccarvell@nmdp.org wrote: > We use our description field of our groups to describe what the groups >funct...

How to tell if an Attribute can hold multi-valued or single valued
Anyone know? If it already populated with data, it is easy to tell. But what if it does not have data? How can you tell? thanks, lee franke You would have to check the schema programatically. There is an attribute on the schema called 'isSingleValued' that will tell you if the attribute is multi-valued or not. MSDN LinkRyan DunnWeblog The BookLDAP Programming Help...

Query a multivalued attribute and store part of each value in a single valued string/attribute
Hello hello again, so I am trying to cook something again and obviously I am failing. I have a mutlivalued attribute in eDirectory and I need to store a part from each value into a single valued attribute. Example: Attribute A - value1: 001-I - value2: 002-D - value3: 003-M I need the I and the D and the M and store in a single valued attribute Attribute B -value: IDM I managed to query the destination user to get the attribute I want from the user ... WOHOO :-) Yet everythin after fails Here is what I cooked up: <actions> <do-set-local-variable n...

PickList field with values from a multi-valued attribute
Hello there, I have a PickList field in my form that I want to fill with a list of values. Let's call that field "department". The values must be dynamically obtained from a multi-valued attribute of a given Organizational Unit. Let's call that attribute "list-of-departments". I have a DAL entity that exposes the object class (Organizational Unit) and its attribute. Let's call the DAL entity "OU" and let's call the exposed attribute key "list-of-departments" (like the attribute itself). Of course, I have a field that cont...

unable to evaluate values in an multi-valued attribute
Dear Forum, we are running UA 4.0.1. We have to search through all values of an given attribute for evaluation purpose. According to the documentation either form.getValues() and idvault.get should return an array when multiple-values are found. Unfortunately this seams not to work. var contracts = IDVault.get(null, dn, "eCampus-User", "eCAssigmentsJStr"); form.setValues("AssigmentJStrs", contracts); var numOfContracts = contracts.length(); Testing has shown that the variable contracts is set correct, 'cos the form field AssigmentJStr is sh...

Multi-valued attribute to single attribute conversion
Afternoon Everyone! I have been trying to use the default rule in the AD driver to strip multi-valued attributes but for a modify operation but without any luck. I made a copy and put it in the Command Transformation. Would someone please give me asome pinters. I keep getting LDap Error 21, Invalid syntax. Error in attribute conversion operation. Here is the rule I am attempting using: <rule> <description>Convert multi-valued Telephone to single value</description> <conditions> <and> <if-operation op="equal">modify<...

Single Value Field to MultiValue Field - Reverse Multi to Single storing all Values
begin 644 rule.txt M"3QR=6QE/@T*"0D\9&5S8W)I<'1I;VX^57-E<B`M(&-O;G9E<G0@;75L=&DM M=F%L=65D($1E<V-R:7!T:6]N('1O('-I;F=L92!V86QU92`F;'0[)FQT.R!S M97!A<F%T960\+V1E<V-R:7!T:6]N/@T*"0D\8V]N9&ET:6]N<SX-"@D)"3QO M<CX-"@D)"0D\:68M8VQA<W,M;F%M92!O<#TB97%U86PB/E5S97(\+VEF+6-L M87-S+6YA;64^#0H)"0D)/&EF+6-L87-S+6YA;64@;W`](F5Q=6%L(CY'<F]U M<#PO:68M8VQA<W,M;F%M93X-"@D)"3PO;W(^#0H)"0D\;W(^#0H)"0D)/&EF M+6]P+6%T='(@;F%M93TB1&5S8W)I<'1I;VXB(&...

Single Value Field to MultiValue Field - Reverse Multi to Single storing all Values
Hi All I have implemented a rule that converts the multivalued Description field to a single valued field in AD (See Attached rule) James Miller - Dec 2004 << Mario Kardum - 10 Feb 2004 << Amanda Saintsbury - June 2005 << The result is as above All good so far. Now I want to create a rule to break up and replace the single value field above to a EDir multivalue Field James Miller - Dec 2004 Mario Kardum - 10 Feb 2004 Amanda Saintsbury - June 2005 I presume I need to use XPATH to create the Multivalue entries Does anyone have an idea? Regards ...

JDBC reads multi-valued attr as single-valued
I am running IDM 3.6 on eDir 8.8.3 using a JDBC connector to a MSSQL 2005 database with a direct triggered configuration. The view I am using is defined as: SELECT src.[PKID] as 'PKID' ,u.[loginid] as 'pk_LoginID' ,c.[pkid] as 'mv_CourseID' ,c.[name] as 'mv_CourseName' ,convert(varchar(max),c.[pkid]) + '~' + c.[name] as 'mv_CourseInfo' FROM [LMS].[dbo].[tblStudent_Room_Course] src JOIN [LMS].[dbo].[tblUser] u on u.pkid = src.[user_id_fk] JOIN [LMS].[dbo].[tblCourse] c on c.[pkid] = [Course_ID_FK] The mv_Cou...

Setting multi-value attribute values to query results
I am writing a policy where I need to run a query to get a list of one or more DNs, then place those DNs as the values of a multi-valued attribute in my destination datasource. How do I do this? Can I use the do-add-dest-attr-value action and just specify the query as the values to add, or do I need to place the results of the query in a local variable and do something with that? I'm using IDM 3.5. Here is the query that I'm running: <token-query class-name="Locality"> <arg-dn> <token-parse-dn dest-dn-format="dest-dn" src-dn-form...

Write GroupMembership values to custom multi-value attribute
I need to be able to take the multiple group membership values of a user and write them to a custom multi-attribute called "CTGroups". The problem I am running into is if you add two or more groups to a user at once, it will only grab the first group and skip all the others. If I add the groups one at a time, I am ok but I cannot rely on our user community to add just one group at a time. Any help would be appreciated . -- mlarocco Depending on exactly what you are trying to do and where you are trying to do it, you'll either need to use For Each or Clone Oper...

Matching each value out of multiple values to single column value
 Hi,  @whoposted in stored procedure holds value "agent  builder owner"  ( please note the space in between) My column  POSTED_BY  always holds one and only one value out of above 3.Example:       POSTED_BY  owneragent          etc... If  All / any of the value hold by  @whoposted matches with value of POSTED_BY column, i want to show that row in gridview.( Also, please note, str may hold different values depending on user selection. For example, it may ...

Web resources about - Converting single-valued attribute to normal (multi-valued) - novell.edirectory.linux