XP question.

Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user account
names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks.

0
John
7/23/2007 2:49:10 PM
novell.community.chat 7635 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:49:10 +0000, John wrote:

> Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user account
> names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks.

um, dir "c:\documents and settings" ?

--
Joe
"Mostly me, mostly you."

0
Joseph
7/23/2007 3:11:20 PM
I'll research that tonight.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

0
Sewermonger
7/23/2007 10:24:55 PM
Joseph Marton wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:49:10 +0000, John wrote:
>
>> Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user
>> account names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks.
>
> um, dir "c:\documents and settings" ?

Or the standard NCCI answer "fdisk"  :-)

--
Pye, James Pye, chmod 007
The Ultimate Open Source

"Joseph Marton" <jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:49:10 +0000, John wrote:
>
>> Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user
>> account
>> names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks.
>
> um, dir "c:\documents and settings" ?
>
> --
> Joe
> "Mostly me, mostly you."

0
John
7/24/2007 8:58:25 AM
> "John" <JohnSmith@JS.com> wrote in message
>
> Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user
> account names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks.

C:\>net users

User accounts for \\CC4530

Administrator            ASPNET                   AZC-1
Guest                    HelpAssistant            LogMeInRemoteUser
LRF-1                    SUPPORT_388945a0         user
The command completed successfully.

That what you were after?

--
AZC

0
Andrew
7/24/2007 10:27:38 AM
John wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. The posting was not clear enough. I need to
> copy some files into some profile folders while running a batch file
> before the users log in to the PCs. I need to find out what profile
> names are on the PCs. I've found %USERNAME%  and %USERPROFILE% . What
> I was looking for is a command that lists all the usernames and
> stores them in an array. I'd rather not have to start writing code to
> chop off characters and reformat the output from a dir command.

All the usernames, or all the profile directories?  (They can be
difference, e.g. if you have a local and a domain user by the same name)

This one'll work for profile directories:

FOR /D %%X IN ("C:\Documents and Settings\*.*") DO ECHO %%X

.... adjust the path and command as required, of course.

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett

"Ben A L Jemmett" <bal.jemmett@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> John wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies. The posting was not clear enough. I need to
>> copy some files into some profile folders while running a batch file
>> before the users log in to the PCs. I need to find out what profile
>> names are on the PCs. I've found %USERNAME%  and %USERPROFILE% . What
>> I was looking for is a command that lists all the usernames and
>> stores them in an array. I'd rather not have to start writing code to
>> chop off characters and reformat the output from a dir command.
>
> All the usernames, or all the profile directories?  (They can be
> difference, e.g. if you have a local and a domain user by the same name)
>
> This one'll work for profile directories:
>
> FOR /D %%X IN ("C:\Documents and Settings\*.*") DO ECHO %%X
>
> ... adjust the path and command as required, of course.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ben A L Jemmett
> (http://www.jemmett-software.co.uk/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)

0
John
7/24/2007 12:39:44 PM
Thank you for your reply.

"Andrew Z Carpenter" <azc@cirencester.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> "John" <JohnSmith@JS.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user
>> account names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks.
>

> C:\>net users
>
> User accounts for \\CC4530

> Administrator            ASPNET                   AZC-1
> Guest                    HelpAssistant            LogMeInRemoteUser
> LRF-1                    SUPPORT_388945a0         user
> The command completed successfully.
>

> That what you were after?
>

> --
> AZC

0
John

windows ME questions, questions, questions.......
Hi, my next PC will be running Windows ME. The PC will be supplied via my work, so there's no choice here for me (ME?) (I think I would have preferred 98 SE). The harddisk (40GB matrox) will have ME installed, and both the Windows ME set-up files and an image of the initial Harddisk 'on a hidden partition'. Word has it that this partition is not seen by Format nor FDisk. Is this really possible? No Windows CD will be supplied. Seems a new way of MS to encourage working with licensed software only. Anyone familiar with this way of distributing an OS? Will I be able to ...

Question about questions
Name: Edward Newill Email: ernewillatyahoodotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: Question about questions Comments: Is there an email address that I can send a question too? I could not find one in the Service area of your site. I would like to know how I create signatures for my Thunderbird email? Best regards, E. Newill Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

XP Question
Anyone know of a utility that will record what files / folders / registry keys an application accesses when it is starting? Do you also know if it is possible to list what permissions it needs to access the files e.g. administrator permissions or user permissions? Thanks. go to ms site - search sysinternals - lotsa gadgets like procmon, psmon, filemon, regmon -- http://brokertech.parallel42.ca/blog sysinternals regmon/filemon -- http://abeNd.org - Novell News for IT Professionals - "Arthur" <Arthur@Novell.com> wrote in message news:6kezj.7230$Ec...

XP question
XP machine has gone "berserk" downloading and installing SP's / updates etc. Has gotten itself to the point where it's almost useless. Any process takes "forever" Thinking of uninstalling all SP's etc and starting over. Any tips, advice etc. A clean "reinstall" is not really an option at this time. Or, should I just uninstall Norton System "Slow works" and go with AVG?? tia -- 95isalive This site is best viewed.................. ...............................with a computer If your machine really has gone "berserk&qu...

XP questions...
I just switched to XP SP1 Professional-slowly getting the hang of it...just wanted to know a few things... 1) I've noticed that it shows zip files along with folders in the tree pane of Explorer-even if u have winzip installed for handling zip files by default. How do u prevent them from coming in the tree pane? 2) Anyone seen a theme for xp that resembles Sun Java's Swing interface? (If you've used Morpheus P2P software-it has a 'java' skin-thats the kind of theme im looking for) 3) How does one turn off msn (or rather windows) messenger?? i haven't told it to...

XP Question
Is it normal to get a process accessing the net without giving it access through ZoneAlarm??? It only seems to happen when I give IE6 access to the net. The process is 69? and 712 I have had a Trojen active on my system but have re-installed with XP since and have run a complete check with AVG and nothing has shown up. any ideas??? Kaos <kaos@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >Is it normal to get a process accessing the net without giving it access >through ZoneAlarm??? > >It only seems to happen when I give IE6 access to the net. > >The process is 69? an...

XP Question
Not sure which group to post this in. Anyway, does anyone know how to startup windows XP without showing windows screens? I want the pc to start up without showing any microsoft specific stuff. How to do that? Any hints? I know how to bypass the login screen, but before that there is a windows screen with a progress bar.. Thanks, Totte Il Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:59:12 -0700, totte karlsson <tottek@gmail.com> ha scritto: >Not sure which group to post this in. > >Anyway, does anyone know how to startup windows XP without showing windows >screens? I want the p...

questions about the community...
Hi! We are French students from the university of limoges, and we're actually working on virtual communication. Therefore we decided to study the Mozilla.rog community project, and would like to ask you a few questions: What experiences do you have of this community? How does the community work? Do the members feel like a part of the community? Could you tell us a bit about the feeling of belonging to the community? Thank you in advance. Cordially Thomas P. On 2004-01-12 16:55, paillard thomas wrote: > We are French students from the university of limoges, and we...

xp question
I ran across some info (rumor?) that xp came w/ spyware/adware? Sounds like smart tags to me?? Is anyone aware of other inclusions w/ xp? Thanks in advance >>----- Original Message ----- >>From: "Taylors" <starksuggs@charter.net> >>Newsgroups: grc.spyware >>Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 8:29 AM >>Subject: xp question >>I ran across some info (rumor?) that xp came w/ spyware/adware? Sounds like >>smart tags to me?? Is anyone aware of other inclusions w/ xp? I guess it depends on your point of view. Microsoft prob...

XP question. #2
I need to run a batch file with administrator rights when users without administrator rights log on to the local PC. Is there any freeware programs that will do this that you know of? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I think I have it sorted. "Arthur" wrote in message news:OHBcr.7098$V43.2381@kovat.provo.novell.com... I need to run a batch file with administrator rights when users without administrator rights log on to the local PC. Is there any freeware programs that will do this that you know of? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Not offhand ...

XP server question
If I have resource allocation in my share library which will be link with ESP, when can I release those resources I have allocated? For instance, I have a share library called examples.so contains xp_echo function which is built by OS function(BTW this is sybase sample), I have created a procedure call xp_echo by isql command "create procedure xp_echo @in varchar(255) as external name "examples.so", so I can call this procedure from isql. Up to now everything goes well, then I expanded this function a little bit to let it do more work, it will connect with another ...

XP privacy question
I have a friend who is considering make the move to XP but he would like to review privacy concerns with XP. I have searched for sites pertaining to this matter but most are from 2001. I would like to provide him with some more recent updated sites for him to read. Would anyone happen to have links to sites of this nature? TIA (That's Thank You In Advance rather than Total Information Awareness! lol) In article <at333m$1vj2$1@news.grc.com>, Dave says... >I have a friend who is considering make the move to XP but he would like to >review privacy concerns with XP. I...

XP Account question
Using XP Pro. Is there a way to setup an account for File Sharing but pevent it from being used at the Console? JC schreef: > Using XP Pro. > > Is there a way to setup an account for File Sharing but pevent it from > being used at the Console? Sure. Open regedit with administrator rights and got to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList Right click in right pane / create / new / DWORD Give the new value the name of the account you want to hide and set value to 0. Now you don't see it on the wel...

XP permissions question
On XPh I'm trying to install a program that needs to be set for 'all users' but it keeps barking "access denied". If I go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users in explorer is barks the same error. My login is definitely Administrator and I've checked all the permission stuff I can find but so far I haven't found any settings that help. Is there a way to drill down to advanced user permissions in XP like you can in W2k? -- -Scott Lab1 wrote: > On XPh I'm trying to install a program that needs to be set for 'all > users' but ...

Web resources about - XP question. - novell.community.chat

Andrew Robb trade trip with former Nash staffer Alastair Furnival raises questions
Labor Senator Penny Wong says inclusion of former junk food lobbyist in trade delegation raises &quot;serious questions about integrity of the ...

Facebook’s Helen Crossley on the 3 Big Mobile-Commerce Questions
Mobile grabbed hold of the holiday shopping season in 2014, and there is no reason to believe that trend won’t continue this year. Helen Crossley ...

‘The Walking Dead’ episode 7: A heart-pounding answer to ‘the Glenn question’
The seventh episode of The Walking Dead season 6 aired last night, and it had an interesting overall theme: people need saving. Unexpectedly, ...

Housing Rebound Didn't Lift Economy as Much as Economists Expected: Why?; Six Questions for Zandi
Home prices are nearly back to where they were before the crash. In some places, home prices are above where they were at the peak of the national ...

Everything Apple does can be explained by this one simple question
This has been a huge year for Apple, the most valuable company in the world, with the launch of three major products: The Apple Watch , Apple ...

Real question: did Brad Pitt wear a ’90s wiglet at ‘The Big Short’ premiere?
Brad Pitt could potentially have a film at the Oscars this year. NO, not By the Sea . His real Oscar-bait film this year is The Big Short , which ...

Trump questions Hillary's 'stamina,' apparently unaware of her marathon Benghazi hearing
Donald Trump will find a new criticism of Hillary Clinton soon because his latest one is downright ludicrous. In an appearance on ABC’s “This ...

Pushbullet Adds Option to Send Texts From Tablets, Answers Pro Questions in AMA
Pushbullet , the service you once loved but now seem to hate because they want to make money and survive as a company, introduced a new feature ...

Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease
Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease