Running Disk Wipe on 150 hard drives

Going to excess old laptops and I have to attest that all data is gone.
Thus KillDisk and I are getting acquainted again. Some drives will only
take about 45 minutes.... others of the same size will take 3 hours.
Don't understand why since drive geometry is identical.

Not going to have any data on those puppies when they get farmed out to
some elementary school. Wish I could install Suse on them before they go
out.

--
Sewermonger

Sewermonger
5/1/2008 8:46:01 PM
novell.community.chat 7635 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Sewermonger wrote:
> Going to excess old laptops and I have to attest that all data is gone.
> Thus KillDisk and I are getting acquainted again. Some drives will only
> take about 45 minutes.... others of the same size will take 3 hours.
> Don't understand why since drive geometry is identical.
>
> Not going to have any data on those puppies when they get farmed out to
> some elementary school. Wish I could install Suse on them before they go
> out.

Why can't you?  Just clone the drives after wipe.  Then not only are
they erased but they've had new data written on them :)

Install open suse if it's a license issue
0
Patrick
5/1/2008 10:34:48 PM
I'm checking into that. %^)

Sewermonger
5/1/2008 11:19:50 PM
"Sewermonger" <Sewermonger@gmail.com> wrote in news:qesSj.9281$Dh4.4879
@kovat.provo.novell.com:

> I'm checking into that. %^)
> --

OR puppy linux if they are old beasts.

--
Ciao, Dave
0

> Don't understand why since drive geometry is identical.

DMA / 32 bit is off in BIOS?
One is an old Celeron and the other gruntier?
Have you tried DBAN vs GDisk or whatever the ghost disk killer is called?
HTH. 8)

--
Ciao, Dave
0