"Cluster State View" as command line tool?

Is there a command line tool for Windows that shows the information as
Console One's "Cluster State View" (most important: which cluster resource
is currently hosted on which server)?

0
smithf77823
9/4/2007 10:40:46 AM
novell.cluster-services 3416 articles. 0 followers. Follow

No, there is not. ConsoleOne or iManager are the only available cluster
management tools for Windows.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
9/4/2007 11:23:22 PM
Andrew C Taubman wrote:

> No, there is not. ConsoleOne or iManager are the only available cluster
> management tools for Windows.

Pity! There SHOULD be a command line tool for everything (e.g. for
scripting). For instance, I wanted to write a little tool for our support
people which easily shows the current server for a given volume and start
rconj for this server.

0
smithf77823
9/5/2007 9:01:00 AM
With clustering the normal process is to point to the cluster server
not the physical server the volume happens to be on.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop
On Sep 5, 5:01 am, smithf77...@aol.com (F. Smith) wrote:
> Andrew C Taubman wrote:
> > No, there is not. ConsoleOne or iManager are the only available cluster
> > management tools for Windows.
>
> Pity! There SHOULD be a command line tool for everything (e.g. for
> scripting). For instance, I wanted to write a little tool for our support
> people which easily shows the current server for a given volume and start
> rconj for this server.

There are of course the NetWare console commands. try "help cluster"
from your NetWare server.

For me, I type the DNS name of my virtual server right into rconj and
it brings up the correct server console. That seems like a simple
enough solution.

If you still need something, might I suggest pointing WGET at a URL
similar to "http://<fqdn>:<pass>@<servername/ip>:8008/CLUSTER_MANAGE".
That should dump the remote manager cluster page for you.

Even better, if you are using NetWare 6.5 ver of clustering, poke
around in \\server\_ADMIN\Novell\Cluster. You should be able to view
ResourceState.XML in there and get the info you need.

0
melvin
9/6/2007 6:33:38 AM
Not entirely true.

You forget the best tool of all:  Novell Remote Manager --NRM.
http://ipaddressofclusternode:8008  -it will redirect to https and port 8009
-login full distinguished and head down to Cluster section.

This is the fast tool for management of cluster.

From Windows, you can get Adrem's Remote console -which is free --run it
from the windows workstation to console to the NetWare server -then as
already stated use the Cluster commands on the server console.

NOTE:  I cannot think of one reason why Novell would create commands that
would run from a windows workstation across IP to a NetWare or Linux cluster
server and perform a management function.  In this case -you are thinking of
Windows and maybe even the new PowerShell commandline --but remember -this
Powershell runs from a Windows SERVER to manage resources on the server that
is in Active Directory.  So you can equate that to going to a NW or Linux
box and running command line to manage NW/Linux things.
--

Take Care.

Gregg A. Hinchman
Consultant
Gregg@HinchmanConsulting.com ( mailto:Gregg@HinchmanConsulting.com )

A Novell Consulting Partner
317.329.0288 Office
413.254.2819 eFax

"Courage is doing what is right."

"Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist ones.
All systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth."  Thich Nhat
Hanh, Vietnamese monk.

<KNlDi.7$PD.2@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Andrew C
Taubman<ataubman.RemoveThisToMailMe@novell.AndThis.com> wrote:
> No, there is not. ConsoleOne or iManager are the only available cluster
> management tools for Windows.
0
Gregg
9/6/2007 3:26:11 PM
> You forget the best tool of all:  Novell Remote Manager --NRM.
> http://ipaddressofclusternode:8008  -it will redirect to https and
> port 8009 -login full distinguished and head down to Cluster section.

iManager is the preferred util, but.....

> From Windows, you can get Adrem's Remote console -which is free --run
> it from the windows workstation to console to the NetWare server
> -then as already stated use the Cluster commands on the server
> console.

Still is not a command line util.  Just gives you access to the server
console, but so does NoRM and NoRM also gives you remote control of the
GUI.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

I would strongly disagree with the point that iManager is preferred.  Its
really ONLY preferred by Novell.  Those that work with clustering day to day
-know iManager makes managing a cluster more difficult.  Too much 'clicking
around'.  :)    That said -clustering with OES Linux does NOT have NRM
support.  Sadly!

The idea of iManager was great -the implementation was poor.  Admins want a
management console that is like NRM.  Plan, simple and too the point.  Even
internal Novell Dev teams are not writing to iManager because its too
difficult, takes too much time.  GroupWise and ZEN come to mind.

Anyway ...to each their own.
--

<Lc1Ei.569$89.186@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Timothy
Leerhoff<tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote:
>>  You forget the best tool of all:  Novell Remote Manager --NRM.
>> http://ipaddressofclusternode:8008  -it will redirect to https and
>> port 8009 -login full distinguished and head down to Cluster section.
>
> iManager is the preferred util, but.....
>
>> From Windows, you can get Adrem's Remote console -which is free --run
>> it from the windows workstation to console to the NetWare server
>> -then as already stated use the Cluster commands on the server
>> console.
>
> Still is not a command line util.  Just gives you access to the server
> console, but so does NoRM and NoRM also gives you remote control of the
> GUI.
0
Gregg
9/7/2007 1:33:43 AM
melvin.shaw@gmail.com wrote:

> There are of course the NetWare console commands. try "help cluster"
> from your NetWare server.

Okay, but this works only from the Netware console.

> For me, I type the DNS name of my virtual server right into rconj and
> it brings up the correct server console. That seems like a simple
> enough solution.

Our resource names are quite long, so I'm looking for another method (and
this was just an example).

> If you still need something, might I suggest pointing WGET at a URL
> similar to "http://<fqdn>:<pass>@<servername/ip>:8008/CLUSTER_MANAGE".
> That should dump the remote manager cluster page for you.

This one comes close to what I'm looking for, but...

> Even better, if you are using NetWare 6.5 ver of clustering, poke
> around in server_ADMINNovellCluster. You should be able to view
> ResourceState.XML in there and get the info you need.

... this one is really useful. Thank you for this hint. (However, I'm
still wondering why there is no simple Windows command line tool...)

F.

0
smithf77823
9/7/2007 11:08:13 AM
> Our resource names are quite long, so I'm looking for another method

Use a shortened resource name in DNS pointing to the resource IP.  e.g.
Staff_Data_Server as a server object can have a "data" a record in your
local DNS.  THis would allow someone to connect to "data" and get to
the much longer named resource.

> .. this one is really useful. Thank you for this hint. (However, I'm
> still wondering why there is no simple Windows command line tool...)

Since you do point to the resource IP for connectivity I don't see the
need for an end user to know what physical server it happens to be
mounted on at this point.  Namely it can move and those using the
physical server to connect to a volume will lose connectivity.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop
> I would strongly disagree with the point that iManager is preferred.
> Its really ONLY preferred by Novell.

You made my point there.

> Those that work with clustering
> day to day -know iManager makes managing a cluster more difficult.
> Too much 'clicking around'.  :)    That said -clustering with OES
> Linux does NOT have NRM support.  Sadly!

Again you made my point.  Even though iMangler is prefered by Novell
and the future of development, I use Con1 for a lot of the cluster work
at clients.

> The idea of iManager was great -the implementation was poor.  Admins
> want a management console that is like NRM.  Plan, simple and too the
> point.

Yes it is and the tool of my choice for many things, including closing
a file for a user rather than blowing them off a server.

> Even internal Novell Dev teams are not writing to iManager
> because its too difficult, takes too much time.  GroupWise and ZEN
> come to mind.

The reason for Zen comes evident when you look at ZCM10.

And I cannot answer for the GW team as I am not on the GW team nor am I
a Novell employee, just a volunteer helping in the forums.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

F. Smith wrote:
> Andrew C Taubman wrote:
>
>> No, there is not. ConsoleOne or iManager are the only available cluster
>> management tools for Windows.
>

> Pity! There SHOULD be a command line tool for everything (e.g. for
> scripting). For instance, I wanted to write a little tool for our
> support people which easily shows the current server for a given volume
> and start rconj for this server.

0
Pete