VPN client Microsoft L2TP/IPsec thru BM 3.5 sp1

I have installed Microsoft L2TP/IPsec client on a WIN98se client which
is
protected by my  BM3.5 sp1 firewall. BM connects thru a CISCO 2611xm
router
to the internet on 2 T1 circuits.

I have a WIN2000 Server setup outside BM configured as a VPN server.
From
outside BM, I can connect to WIN2K VPN server using the above client
VPN
software, but cannot behind BM. I get a 629 error (dial-up networking
was
unable to complete the connection) when trying to go out thru BM to
the VPN
server.

Even with BM filters off, connection cannot be made to outside VPN
server. I
have read alot of the posting here and get the feeling the this will
not
work. If someone could confirm this for me and steer me in the right
direction to overcome this, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rick Manning (VPN Novice)

0
Rick

In article <gIQ3a.3197$Hm3.483@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Rick
Manning
wrote:
> Even with BM filters off, connection cannot be made to outside VPN
server. I
> have read alot of the posting here and get the feeling the this will
not
> work. If someone could confirm this for me and steer me in the right

> direction to overcome this, I would very much appreciate it.

It will not work.  Novell's NAT does not support the GRE protocol used
for
encryption by MS VPN.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://nscsysop.hypermart.net ***

0
Craig
2/17/2003 4:13:28 AM
craig,

i thought that was what the deal was.

would it work if i had BM3.7 on Netware 6?

thanks,
rick manning

"Craig Johnson" <craigsj@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> In article <gIQ3a.3197$Hm3.483@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Rick
Manning
> wrote:
> > Even with BM filters off, connection cannot be made to outside VPN

server. I
> > have read alot of the posting here and get the feeling the this
will not
> > work. If someone could confirm this for me and steer me in the
right
> > direction to overcome this, I would very much appreciate it.
> >
> It will not work.  Novell's NAT does not support the GRE protocol
used for
> encryption by MS VPN.
>
> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://nscsysop.hypermart.net ***

0
Rick
2/17/2003 12:06:02 PM

Rick

> would it work if i had BM3.7 on Netware 6?

nope. For the time being, there are no versions of the NAT.nlm that
support it.
--
Cat

CSL
2/17/2003 4:44:33 PM
cat,

do you think BM 3.8 will do it?

thanks
rick
"CSL" <Cat@not-here.com> wrote in message

> Rick
>
> > would it work if i had BM3.7 on Netware 6?
>
> nope. For the time being, there are no versions of the NAT.nlm that
support it.
> --
> Cat
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop

0
Rick
2/17/2003 9:04:28 PM
I just heard recently that the reprogramming involved in this requires

so much work that it has been pushed back to after NBM 3.8.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://nscsysop.hypermart.net ***

0
Craig
2/18/2003 5:53:09 AM
thank you sir, that closes that

> I just heard recently that the reprogramming involved in this
requires
> so much work that it has been pushed back to after NBM 3.8.
>

> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://nscsysop.hypermart.net ***

0
Rick

Connect VPN client thru BM to another VPN
i, I have a problem connecting a client inside my network (10.x.x.x) using a CISCO VPN CLIENT. My firewall is a Bordermanager 3.6 SP2a server using NAT and I want to connect to other VPN server. How I have to configure the BM serfver to connect internal client to access others VPN server ????? Thanks in advance Jose hi Jose, let me understand. Are you trying to connect with a Cisco VPN client to a CIsco VPN server or to a BM VPN server? -- Cat Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

BM 3.5 to BM 3.8 w/VPN
Bordermanager 3.5 server on Netware 5.1 providing firewall and proxy services for users on internal network. This box is also acting as the Master VPN server with multiple site-to-site VPN links to BM 3.5 slave servers. Primary Goal Replace the existing Bordermanager 3.5 master VPN server hardware with a new server running Bordermanager 3.8 on Netware 6.0. It is possible to have both servers online during migration. Must minimize disruption to firewall, proxy & VPN services. Secondary Goal: No changes (or minimial changes only) to the slave servers running BM 3.5. (T...

VPN thru BM 3.6 t oW2K VPN
--____NKHXHHECQEOVYUGORWTG____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Is it possible to create a VPN from a W2k-machine to a W2K-Server in the = Internet from a NAT-Network across Bordermanager ? Greetings Uwe --____NKHXHHECQEOVYUGORWTG____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____HOHDEQRUFCFDMNBJPEJB____" --____HOHDEQRUFCFDMNBJPEJB____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&qu...

Microsoft VPN client Behind a BM 3.8
We've got a client that has some users that needs to run some apps through a MS vpn connection, They have a Firewall 1 and a BM server, they have issues with the Firewall 1 and almost no support for it, so,, they like us to help them get the users going out through the BM 3.8 instead.. Any ideas if it'll work..??,, and if so,, which exceptions should be needed on the BM..?? I've got craigs books,, but,, havent found the relavant info there yet THanks, MS VPN uses GRE encryption protocol. GRE does not work through Novell's NAT. Craig Johnson N...

Latest VPN client for BM 3.6 + XP/SP1
I have the VPN folder from PUBLIC/BRDRMGR on my BM server. I need to setup a client on a laptop, XP/Pro w/ SP1. Anything newer I need to pull down or any other words of wisdom I should heed before I attempt this? TIA. -S- Update: After posting this, I saw a 3.6/3.7 VPN client on Novell's site. I've downloaded it, installed it, and made a first VPN connection. -S- Steve Freides wrote: > > I have the VPN folder from PUBLIC/BRDRMGR on my BM server. I need to > setup a client on a laptop, XP/Pro w/ SP1. Anything newer I need to > pull down ...

3rd Party VPN client to site thru BM 3.6
We do not use VPN and have a BM 3.6 Server at our internet connection point. There is a vendor coming for a presentation that requires the salesperson to establish a VPN to their server through our BM 3.6 server. Their specs call for UDP traffic to pass over ports UDP:500, UDP:1000, and protocol 50 & 51 (IPSEC). I can set up the UDP packet exceptions but am stymied by the Protocol 50 & 51 requirements. Can this be done for them with our current configuration? If so, any pointers would be appreciated. JohnW hi, no, it can't be done. The NAT portion of the se...

CAn you use the Microsoft VPN client to connect to BM 3.7
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0000D066CA256D67_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Hi All, I have a BM 3.7 server with VPN services , all runs very well : ) I have several clients who want to access the VPN using the Microsoft builtin VPN client rather than installing the Novell VPN client , is this possible and if so any tips for getting it to work Thanks --=_alternative 0000D066CA256D67_= Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" <br><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Hi All, I have ...

3rd party VPN Client out thru BM 3.7 sp3
Hi all, I have the need to use a 3rd party VPN Client (Linksys - Cisco Easy Link Client) connecting to a Linksys - Cisco RV042 VPN Router at the remote site (out thru the BM 3.7 sp3 server). I can connect from these workstations using a browser but not with this Easy Link Client. I have droped the Filters( unloaded ipflt) etc... but to no avail. I looked on the Novell site for info and found TID10063599 No passthrough of VPN protocols 50 and 51 (IKE). Is this still true? and if so what can I do to get around this problem. Thank you in advance for any input. Doug Hi, Doug wro...

Problems with latest VPN client (to site) on XP/SP1 and BM 3.6
VPN client won't make the connection to the BM server. Info: Client : Windows XP, SP 1 VPN client: 3.7.0, downloaded and installed a week or two ago. Server : SPACK 5.1.4 v4.0 Support Pack for NetWare 5.1 BM : BM36SP 3.6.1A BorderManager 3.6 Support Pack 1A BRDRMGR 3.5.0 Novell BorderManager 3.6.0 Connection: Cable modem Other: The workstation is a Panasonic Toughbook laptop and seems to require IPCONFIG /RELEASE, IPCONFIG /RENEW when we connect it to the cable modem. No router/hub at the remote location. After these, ...

Setting Up VPN Client-to-Site in BM 3.8sp2 on NSBS 6.0.5
I've been lurking the last few days trying to figure out how to set up VPN services for our BM3.8sp2/NW6.0.5 system to allow wireless users (within our building) to access our network directly. Right now, I have a Linksys WRV54G wireless VPN router sitting outside our firewall (BM server) which is also used to connect to our cable modem for regular internet access. My "public" IP network is 192.168.10.0 and our private network is 192.168.1.0 (NAT'ed by BM.) From what I've read, NIASCFG can't be used to setup the VPN services in BM3.8, and this matches my e...

BM VPN client 3.9.3 and power user
Hello I would like to use VPN client 3.9.3 on Windows XP SP on power user account, but when I run vpnlogin.exe then nothing happens. The user has got full rights for registry HKLM\Software\Novell\VPN\Current folder but the client still not working. One thing is interesting for me, client version 3.8.16, 3.9.0 works fine on power user account but client version 3.9.2, 3.9.3 not. Why? Where is the problem and how to fix it? Regards Pawel In article <1ysGn.7262$N74.1779@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Katoh wrote: > I would like to use VPN client 3.9.3 on Windows XP SP on ...

VPN client 3.7 used to connect on BM 3.8
Hi, I need to know if it is possible to have the VPN client 3.7.1 and be able to connect on BorderManager 3.8 and received a local IP address and DNS resolution. Setup is on Nw6.5 sp1b, BM 3.8 sp1, VPN client 3.7.1 Thxs... no, you need the BM3.8 client (and the BM3.8 server) for that. -- Caterina Luppi Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

BM 3.6 + VPN Client 3.7 + NAT + private ipaddress
Hallo, i've a new vodaphone D2 PCMCIA Data Connect Card ( Germany ) to dial into Internet over VPN-Client to my BM server. It work, but i cannot ping hosts in my private network. Over the provider i became also private ipaddresses ( 10.x.x.x ), so this addresses could not route over the BM !!! Had anyone an idea, if it is possible to route private ip addresses in VPN-Client to private ip addresses to bm ? Or, is it possible to give the vpn-client a second ipaddress from my private network ? How is the way to configure my bm + vpn client to get it to work ??? Or is t...

VPN 3.8 Client behind Netgear Router and BM 3.8 behind Linux IPTABLES
I ve configured my BM 3.8 Client behind my Netgear DSL Router (NAT). I ve configured my BM 3.8 SP1 Server behind Linux (IPTABLES NAT) not a filter problem. In this configuration I can do all at BM 3.8 server. I ve configured my BM entry policies from Craigs Johnsons book Authentication with NMAS (NDS). Now if I connect to BM server I got following NMAS error (error authentication gateway FFFFF996. The same error if I configure my vpm client in same network like my natted linux interface. I m not sure where I should look at first. I ve heard BM is running a linux na...

Web resources about - VPN client Microsoft L2TP/IPsec thru BM 3.5 sp1 - novell.bordermanager.vpn

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message