VPN appliance and Server access

Greets,

I have opted for a SnapGear SME550 VPN appliance for remote access to
our
NW5.1 servers inside our LAN.
So far, I can get inside the LAN from a remote win98 box and ping my
servers
on 192.168* and even bring up Management Portals for each server with
a web
browser.

Do I still need to do all this BorderManager 'stuff' to login to the
Novell
Tree and map a few drives?

Currently, BorderManager is not installed in our network...but I do
have
some old BorderManager VPN 3.5 here I could install ONLY if I have to.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rooter
LBSS

0
rooter

rooter wrote:
> Greets,
>
> I have opted for a SnapGear SME550 VPN appliance for remote access
to our
> NW5.1 servers inside our LAN.
> So far, I can get inside the LAN from a remote win98 box and ping my
servers
> on 192.168* and even bring up Management Portals for each server
with a web
> browser.
>
> Do I still need to do all this BorderManager 'stuff' to login to the
Novell
> Tree and map a few drives?

No you do not.

-andy

0
Andy
4/18/2003 7:33:44 PM
Thanks for the snappy reply.

Currently, I can't login to the server. Network neighborhood can't see
the
server either. The win98 box has the latest NWClient installed and the

client can;t see the Tree or the Server.

What am I missing?

Rooter

"Andy Thompson (NSC Sysop)" <thompson@nscsysop.com> wrote in message
> rooter wrote:
> > Greets,
> >
> > I have opted for a SnapGear SME550 VPN appliance for remote access
our
> > NW5.1 servers inside our LAN.
> > So far, I can get inside the LAN from a remote win98 box and ping
my
servers
> > on 192.168* and even bring up Management Portals for each server
with a
web
> > browser.
> >
> > Do I still need to do all this BorderManager 'stuff' to login to
the
Novell
> > Tree and map a few drives?
>

> No you do not.
>
> -andy

0
rooter
4/19/2003 12:05:03 AM
rooter wrote:
> Thanks for the snappy reply.
>
> Currently, I can't login to the server. Network neighborhood can't
see the
> server either. The win98 box has the latest NWClient installed and
the
> client can;t see the Tree or the Server.
>
> What am I missing?

This is an IP VPN I assume?  Can you login if you use the server's IP

address?

-andy

0
Andy
4/19/2003 2:21:42 AM
Success!!

Sorry for the late reply.

> rooter wrote:
> > Thanks for the snappy reply.
> >
> > Currently, I can't login to the server. Network neighborhood can't
see
the
> > server either. The win98 box has the latest NWClient installed and
the
> > client can;t see the Tree or the Server.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> This is an IP VPN I assume?  Can you login if you use the server's
IP
> address?
>
> -andy

0
rooter
4/23/2003 4:49:23 PM
> Success!!
>
> Sorry for the late reply.

np.. see
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10024740.htm
sections 3 and 4 for some additional details.

--

Andy Thompson
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp

0
Andy

Server access with VPN
I an new to this whole VPN thingy. I am running 3 Novell SBS 6.0 Sp4 servers and one has Border Manager 3.6 running. For right now I only want VPN clients to access the GroupWise 6.0 POA located on the Border Manager Server, but I was wondering if I need to setup something differently if I want VPN clients to access the other servers. My boss doesn't want the other servers to be reached from the outside, but we had talked about possibly in the future allowing access to them. Anyway I don't want to have to set things up twice if I don't have to. Just wondering, ...

Deleting 3rd Party S2S VPN Server Breaks Slave VPN Configuration For All Servers, eventually.
I thought I posted this weeks ago but after searching the forum I did not find it. So here is the issue and the Official Novell Fix. Setting up a 3rd Party VPN with BM 3.8.2 and NW 6.5.1. It worked great after it was setup. But if you went to delete a 3rd Party slave VPN server it may break another 3rd party slave. The only fix was to completely remove all servers from the Site to Site vpn configuration. Delete the Master site to site server. Create all new objects. Basically, recreate it all from scratch. Opened an incident with Novell and completed several tests and look...

MS VPN Client to BM38 VPN Server?
On win2k and on XPHome I create a network connection which is a VPN connection, then try to do certificate authentication to the BM 38 VPN server. I have the Novell VPN client on the same machine which can authenticate with the same certificate. The MS client returns an Error 800: unable to establish connection, maybe the network is unreachable, maybe your security settings are wrong. With the Novell Client I pick exactly the certificate I want to use to authenticate. I can't find that option in the MS client, I can select a Trusted Root (so I had to export the Trusted Root and add it ...

Small VPN appliance to connect to BM VPN
--____VQHYVYNDJJYFRGAXQVCU____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 30 Mar 2007 18:09:36 -0400" Can anybody recommend a small (inexpensive) router that could easily = create a VPN from it to a BM 3.8 server? We have a remote location = (warehouse) that will have 2 computers. I was going to set up the = workstations to connect to a Terminal server in the main office to run the = applications they require. The problem I am attempting to deal with is = that the use...

Bordermanager vpn vs Cisco router vpn etc
I have a small client with a Novell 5.x server with about 35 clients, many of which are needing some sort of vpn access. Trying to figure out if it is easier to setup border manager for vpn access on the server or simply get a router that will provide vpn access. Which would be easier or more cost effective in this scenario over a dsl connection. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks Paul I guess it depends a lot on cost. Do you already have BMgr? (A copy that includes client-site VPN?) If so, just install that and configure it. As for using ...

Is BorderManager required for VPN access
We run a mixed 4.2/5.1 network and are looking at installing a mail and internet proxy server. This server is VPN enabled supporting both PPTP and IP-sec. We require remote clients using XP systems to log in to the network. Do I need Border Manager to achieve this ? If not, what would the client systems use to make a connection ? > We run a mixed 4.2/5.1 network and are looking at installing a mail and > internet proxy server. This server is VPN enabled supporting both PPTP and > IP-sec. We require remote clients using XP systems to log in to the >...

Access to server via VPN
Hi All, How can I setup my Nw6SP3 file server so that users can access their files over a VPN link? I've tinkered with ifolder but I think that remote users want to be able to access their files as if they were in the office. Anyone help? Regards. > How can I setup my Nw6SP3 file server so that users can access their files > over a VPN link? If using Novell Client, just replace the server name with its IP address under Novell GUI Login | Advanced. Once VPN'd, you should be able to hit the server. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (...

VPN access crashes server
I have a user that was allowed VPN access. It has now been removed (user is simply not authorized any more) But each time that user tries to access VPN the server abends in IKE (BM 3.8 SP4) Anybody has an idea how to stop this happening? 11-8-2008 11:18:33 pm ***Send Main Mode message to 90.194.85.71 11-8-2008 11:18:33 pm I-COOKIE=2FA4E98E30D23BF0,R-COOKIE=3F2B4360641CCB1F,MsgID =0,1stPL=KEY-PAYLOAD,state=-1757716928 11-8-2008 11:19:33 pm ***Receive Main Mode message from 90.194.85.71 11-8-2008 11:19:33 pm I-COOKIE=2FA4E98E30D23BF0,R-COOKIE=3F2B4360641CCB1F,MsgID =0,1stP...

NBM 3.8 VPN Client to a Cisco VPN server
Where might I find detailed instruction on setting this up ? thanks ed There is some info here: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10090479.htm But I'm not sure it is complete. There was a thread on this here in the past couple of days, so you should search back a bit. Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection SysOp *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com *** ...

Cisco or any 3rd-party VPN client to BM38 VPN Server
In-house we use the Novell VPN client, but some vendor support wants to use the Cisco VPN client. Can it be made to authenticate to our BM3.8 VPN Server? Are any other clients tested compatible? I thought this new generation IKE VPN provided more interoperability. Thanks I believe it can be made to function, with a lot of effort. However, it is easier to just have both Novell and Cisco VPN client installed at the same time. If you want to use Cisco VPN client, realize that it will take a lot of work for purely political reasons, and you will have zero return on investment for...

C2S vpn, no access to local network when VPN connection made
Situation: A customer is making a connection from his workstation, connected to his lan, via the VPN client to our network. As soon as the connection is made he can no longer access his network resources. Even a ping to local resources is not possible. is there a way to confige C2S VPN to let this work? i know it's possible with CISCO vpn... BM38 sp4, vpn client 3.8.9 grtnx jeroen You need to configure the traffic rules such that only the internal network is encrypted, and all others are not (bypass rule). Two rules. (I have an example of this in my BMgr 3.x book at t...

Access to web services on the vpn server
We have to NW6SB server running with SP2a. One is running as a BM Firewall/VPN server. The other is used as the main print and file server. Accessing VPN works fine. I can access files on both servers. I can manage the internal file server with the Remote Manager on port 8008/8009 from inside an outside (VPN) the network. I can do the same from the inside on the VPN server but not using VPN with the internal address. I even can't reach the service with filters down from the internet. Any suggestions? Regards, Robert Try adding a static nat entry on the public i...

Accessing Mail server via VPN
I am currently running Bm ver 3.7 with NW 6.0. I have users around town that use DSL and Client to site VPN to access services. However the users can do everything they need to exept send E- mail outside the company. Our Exchange server will not allow mail forwording from these clients. I have even added the range that the IP range that the ISP uses to the exchange server. The clints when you do an "ipconfig" gives the address assigned by the ISP. So why question is... How is BM presenting the IP addres to the nework and what address is it presenting? Ma...

vpn and access to servers inside firewall
I have a c2s vpn setup to allow mobile users to dial in and login to our servers on the inside of the firewall. We are running ip only. The remote users can log in to netware, only if the filters are unloaded. Any idea as to what filter exceptions I need Make in order allow Mobile users to Login to our Netware network? When I look at the filtered packets I see Ports NCP 524 and 427 (NCp and Slp) but I have not been able to create an exception that works. With the filters loaded all I get is "Failed to login to Netware" errors. I need help. Thanks First off, can ...

Web resources about - VPN appliance and Server access - novell.bordermanager.vpn

Small appliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(from the wooden and bakelite cases thereof) are portable or semi-portable machines, generally used on table-tops, counter-tops, or other platforms, ...

Frigidaire Facebook App Shows How Much Time Can Be Saved With Appliances
As the holiday season approaches, many Facebook users will be spending a lot of time cooking and cleaning. Appliance company Frigidaire wants ...

GE Appliances (@GE_Appliances) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here GE Appliances @ GE_Appliances ...

App Store - Sun ZFS Appliance Monitor
Get Sun ZFS Appliance Monitor on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

All sizes - Google Appliance - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Google Search Appliance overview - YouTube
The Google Search Appliance (GSA) brings fast, relevant search to your website or intranet, whether you index thousands, millions, or even billions ...

Security appliances are riddled with serious vulnerabilities, researcher says - firewalls, Citrix, antispam ...
The majority of email and Web gateways, firewalls, remote access servers, UTM (united threat management) systems and other security appliances ...

Powering the home: how appliances stack up
Consumer group Choice looks at average annual running tab for the latest models of 11 popular appliances.

Why Electrolux wants to connect your appliances
... that can stream footage of the cooking process. Electrolux is revisiting dot-com era attempts to build an intelligent home around its appliances ...

Amazon looks to move security appliances to the cloud, says CISO - Amazon Web Services, data breach ...
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking to expand its security offerings with hosted intrusion protection appliances and more extensive encryption ...