VPN and IP Frame Relay WAN

I currently have a STS VPN where each office has a full T1 for data only.
I have BM firewalls protecting each of these offices.  I am looking at
VoIP and thus need to upgrade my Internet connections to provide the QoS
required for VoIP.  Because VoIP vendors cringe when I ask them how well
VoIP traffic travels though vpn tunnels, I need to investigate how I can
link my twelve offices together in a WAN that does not utilize a VPN.  The
new common access to the Internet will be a BorderManager server, but what
do I do with the other BM servers?  Does anyone have any experience
running VoIP traffic through a VPN?  Any lessons learned or guidence would
be appreciated.
0
rbarry

hi,

the main issue of VoIP over VPN is that you can't do QoS with encrypted
data. That's why it's not going to work.
If you want to use VoIP you'll need dedicated lines between the offices
if you want guaranteed quality of your voice channels.
In general, to save money, you'll have to have a star structure of your
WAN, where all the offices are linked to the main site, and all calls
are routed through it.

--
Caterina
Caterina

Does NetaWare 6 or 6.5 support a WAN environment without the need for a BM
STS VPN?

> hi,
>
> the main issue of VoIP over VPN is that you can't do QoS with encrypted
> data. That's why it's not going to work.
> If you want to use VoIP you'll need dedicated lines between the offices
> if you want guaranteed quality of your voice channels.
> In general, to save money, you'll have to have a star structure of your
> WAN, where all the offices are linked to the main site, and all calls
> are routed through it.
>

> --
> Caterina
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop

0
rbarry
9/7/2004 7:06:19 PM
hi,

> Are you suggesting that I keep my existing data lines and bring in IP
> Frame Relay only for VoIP traffic?

no, I can't suggest anything because I don't know your system and
infrastructure well enough. I'm only telling you that you can't have QoS
over a VPN...

> To keep my costs down I was looking
> for a way to route both VoIP and data traffic over the IP Frame
> connections and discontinue my data-only T1 connections.

ok, if you're getting anyway some dedicated lines, why do you need the
VPN? Can't you just run data and voice in clear?
I think I might be missing something...

--
Caterina
Caterina
> hi,
>

> > Are you suggesting that I keep my existing data lines and bring in IP
> > Frame Relay only for VoIP traffic?
>
> no, I can't suggest anything because I don't know your system and
> infrastructure well enough. I'm only telling you that you can't have QoS
> over a VPN...
>
> > To keep my costs down I was looking
> > for a way to route both VoIP and data traffic over the IP Frame
> > connections and discontinue my data-only T1 connections.
>
> ok, if you're getting anyway some dedicated lines, why do you need the
> VPN? Can't you just run data and voice in clear?
> I think I might be missing something...

How would I construct a WAN with NW6 and 6.5 servers?  Do I need WAN cards
in my servers?  Would I just configure OSPF and be all set with WAN
connections to all of the other OSPF-enable servers?

> --
> Caterina
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop

0
rbarry
9/7/2004 7:47:20 PM
hi,

> How would I construct a WAN with NW6 and 6.5 servers?

I would use routers for that. I wouldn't only use NW servers.

> Do I need WAN cards
> in my servers?  Would I just configure OSPF and be all set with WAN
> connections to all of the other OSPF-enable servers?

You can put WAN cards on the servers, but I'd rather keep them for what
they're supposed to do, rather than to handle the WAN links. Plus, as
far as I know you can't have QoS if you're using the NEtware servers as
routers(not to mention the compatibility issues with your VoIP vendors...)
--
Caterina
Caterina

Bordermanager vpn vs Cisco router vpn etc
I have a small client with a Novell 5.x server with about 35 clients, many of which are needing some sort of vpn access. Trying to figure out if it is easier to setup border manager for vpn access on the server or simply get a router that will provide vpn access. Which would be easier or more cost effective in this scenario over a dsl connection. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks Paul I guess it depends a lot on cost. Do you already have BMgr? (A copy that includes client-site VPN?) If so, just install that and configure it. As for using ...

VPN Tunnel & Frame Relay line
Hi, I would like to have ideas on how i could address the situation that i would like to setup. Please help.. Here's our current setup: 1) A Frame Relay line b/w SiteA & SiteB 2) A VPN Tunnel b/w SiteB & SiteC using BM35 My problem is how could i established a link from SiteA to SiteC passing thru the Frame Relay & VPN Tunnel. ANy ideas? Is it possible to pass a non-encrypted packet (Frame relay) to the VPN Tunnel? Thanks, Ed hi Ed, yes, it's possible, but you will have to play with routing. First of all, you have to include the Ip s...

VPN Tunnel & Frame Relay line #2
Hi, I would like to have ideas on how i could address the situation that i would like to setup. Please help.. Here's our current setup: 1) A Frame Relay line b/w SiteA & SiteB 2) A VPN Tunnel b/w SiteB & SiteC using BM35 My problem is how could i established a link from SiteA to SiteC passing thru the Frame Relay & VPN Tunnel. ANy ideas? Is it possible to pass a non-encrypted packet (Frame relay) to the VPN Tunnel? Thanks, Ed ...

VPN Tunnel & Frame Relay line #3
Hi, I would like to have ideas on how i could address the situation that i would like to setup. Please help.. Here's our current setup: 1) A Frame Relay line b/w SiteA & SiteB 2) A VPN Tunnel b/w SiteB & SiteC using BM35 My problem is how could i established a link from SiteA to SiteC passing thru the Frame Relay & VPN Tunnel. ANy ideas? Is it possible to pass a non-encrypted packet (Frame relay) to the VPN Tunnel? Thanks, Ed ...

Replacing Frame Relay with VPN's from all sites
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with regard to finding out if replacing our current frame relay system with vpns from each of our sites (12 nationwide) to our home office in Maryland would be feasible and if so, how we would go about doing that. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! It sounds feasible to me, in general. You need fixed IP addresses, and sufficient bandwidth for the Internet connection. Many, many people are using VPN's instead of more-expensive private WAN links. Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection...

legacy vpn + new vpn
Hi, I am running a bordermanager nw6 3.7 server configured as a master vpn server. The slave is also a nw6 3.7 server and is in another country. Now we need to put another slave to this vpn, however w'd like to do that with bordermanager 3.8. The question is if we update this server from 3.7 to 3.8, will the legacy vpn run without a problem, while 3.7 on the other side is running. (I think this will be no problem, correct me if I am wrong) On the other hand I want to configure a new master vpn on the same server by use of imanager. The other slave will be the new company. I...

BorderManager VPN
Hi, I have a customer who is looking for a VPN solution (No more details yet...) Anyhow they have Border Manager 3.8 for proxy. However another site of theirs uses ISA. I know very little about either products. and would like to know peoples views? is BM a good product for VPN, are their better 3rd Party products? Thanks Hi, I use BM vpns all over the place & rate them highly. The 3.8 release was a major step forward as we now use the ipsec standard for site to site transport & can now talk to any other industry standard ipsec vpn endpoint. Client to...

vpn to vpn connection question
Hello: I've been asked to look into a vpn to vpn connection with a third party vpn server connection to our bm38sp2 vpn. Last week I had asked if this was possible and the answer was yes (but). Currently I have our vpn up and running to allow me secure access from home for remote management. The vpn is setup as the master vpn server. Now, if I try to connect to a third party vpn, will our server be a client in this case (I assume so)? If so, how does this impact our current setup as a master server? Thanks in advance, Chris. PS. Others have suggested (strongly) to si...

VPN
Where might I find/configure a log of who connects to our VPN, whether or not they login to Netware once connected, etc. The login to Netware portion is relatively unimportant, but I would like to track basic information like remote IP, username, connect time, disconnect time, etc. Netware 6.5, BorderManager 3.8/SP4/IR3. Client is 3.8.11 for all remote users. We currently have two working VPNs - different servers, different OU's. TIA. -S- I don't know if this has changed in later versions of BM but this is how I monitor activity in BM 3.7. Open NWADM...

vpn
pcanywhere?!?!?! what kind of encryption does that do? not much AFAIK best to use something that encrypts the traffic I have an SME server (e-smith.org Linux) on my cable modem that is my firewall, webserver, email server, router, NAT, etc.... Been using for years, no problems, very secure. The SME has pptp VPN (128bit) built in. works like a charm, (not as secure as 3DES) I routinely nmap my home server and my work server running checkpoint and my home server gets a higher difficulty rating, much higher, FWIW. you could then use pcanywhere thru the tunnel, this is how I ssh into...

VPN
I have BM 3.7, I can authenticate, but can't log in to Netware "Tree or server can't be found". Thank you Craig If you add an entry for the server to your local HOSTS file, does it work? -- Lance Reynolds, CNE I can use VPN fine when I connect to BM from the same subnet(I have a switch on the public side with a test box), however when I try from dialin or on broadband/ADSL from another subnet I get tree or server can not be found. At the moment we are only using BM for VPN. Thank you Cheers Craig Craig, Ok, but the pro...

VPN
If I'm using VPN on an unsecured wireless connection can someone see my files if I have file sharing on? It depends on the VPN service, if you are using the Standard Sharing Ports & they are not Encrypted Everyone can see all your files & gain access to them. Check the information on the VPN Service First! "lbc" <ghost@whatever.com> wrote in message news:dlv8cv$8eh$1@news.grc.com... > If I'm using VPN on an unsecured wireless connection can someone see my > files if I have file sharing on? > > ...

vpn
hi i setup dsl connection on my laptop but i can't use it via kinternet kinternet don't show it what can i do? :( -- morteza13581358 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please see my post here. 'Bryan 手札 &#8212; 生活記趣 � Opensuse information' (http://lifestory.moqin.com/?cat=344) It will be able to help you. -- Regards, Bryan Yu http://lifestory.moqin.com/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ df6269's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=7...

vpn
hi i setup my vpn connection i setup it on desktop pc and connected successfully i setup it on laptop(dell inspiron 1520) as like as my desktop and connected but i didn't have any receive what can i do? -- morteza13581358 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I am not entirely sure what you are trying to get at. What kind of VPN did you try to set up? Is this Vpn on your local computer or in a remote location? -- ghostwind ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ghostwind's Profi...

Web resources about - VPN and IP Frame Relay WAN - novell.bordermanager.vpn

Frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jarryd Hayne in frame after injury to San Francisco 49ers running back Shaun Draughn
&#8203;The San Francisco 49ers' running back injury curse has struck again and it could elevate Jarryd Hayne back into the beleaguered NFL team's ...

Peggy Guggenheim: Art Addict review: Family rebel in frame
The American art collector was also a self-confessed nymphomaniac, this documentary reveals.

Howard Stern Frames SiriusXM Renewal With Fey, Sandler and Tarantino
It’s been a huge week of Hollywood news on The Howard Stern Show . Monday, Tina Fey finally revealed the identity of the SNL colleague who once ...

Mass shootings really are a bad way to frame the gun violence debate
... to remind us that we do, in fact, have a massive problem that needs fixing. But here’s the thing: mass shootings really are a bad way to frame ...

Who will play young Han Solo? Meet the names in the frame for Star Wars spin-off
2,500 young actors are reported to have auditioned for the roguish Star Wars prequel. From Miles Teller to Carl from the Walking Dead, here are ...

How To Be A Good Regifter, Because Sometimes You Just Have To Pass Along All Those Scented Candles & ...
It’s inevitable around the holidays: your anticipation when opening a beautifully wrapped gift from a friend or loved one turns into bafflement ...

Katniss, Arlo & 007 Top Calm Frame Ahead Of ‘Star Wars’ Storm; ‘Point Break’ Hanging Ten In China – Intl ...
There were no mega-grossers this weekend, but that was to be expected as holdovers move much further into their runs and with no new openers. ...

GameBarcodes distill games down frame by frame
A couple weeks ago an imgur page was floating around the Internet showing various films with each frame reduced to its average color and represented ...

Pale travertine walls frame Cour et Jardin cultural centre
Atelier Fernandez & Serres has completed a cultural centre featuring travertine walls and sloping roof planes that echo the forms of neighbouring ...