VPN and a Dual Wan router confusion

I am running a Border Manager 3.9 server with a Dual Wan router
supplying the 2 ISPs load balancing to a single NIC on the Border
Manager Server.  I want to try setting up a VPN.

Whats the easiest most pain free way of doing this?

Just wondering,
Ken@rlmrlm.com

--
RLMILLIES

RLMILLIES

In article <RLMILLIES.493qdc@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Rlmillies wrote:
> Whats the easiest most pain free way of doing this?

Hah!  Well, inbound traffic in general can be problematical on a
dual-wan system.

Here you have two issues, if the router is like ones I've worked on.

First, load balancing.  You can't (probably - this is based on my
experience) set up a static NAT of one of the public IP addresses to
the BM 'public' address and still load balance.  My experience is that
as soon as you do that, it forces both inbound and outbound traffic
onto that particular WAN link, so it kills load balancing/failover.

Which means you need to do port forwarding on the router for all the
VPN ports.  You will need TCP and UPD 353, and UPD 500 and 4500 inbound
(and replies outbound).  If using a site-site VPN, you also need TCP
213 inbound.

You will have to configure the VPN address in BMgr to use one of the
WAN public IP's.  The VPN will only work on that one WAN link.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
4/13/2010 6:26:06 AM
Thanks Craig,

I knew I could count on you helping me out.  I will try your
suggestions.

Thanks again,
Ken@rlmrlm.com

--
RLMILLIES
RLMILLIES's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=577

0
RLMILLIES

Bordermanager vpn vs Cisco router vpn etc
I have a small client with a Novell 5.x server with about 35 clients, many of which are needing some sort of vpn access. Trying to figure out if it is easier to setup border manager for vpn access on the server or simply get a router that will provide vpn access. Which would be easier or more cost effective in this scenario over a dsl connection. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks Paul I guess it depends a lot on cost. Do you already have BMgr? (A copy that includes client-site VPN?) If so, just install that and configure it. As for using ...

Help With Setting a VPN With a Linksys VPN Capable Router
I have been trying to use our Linksys BEFSX41's VPN capabilities. VPN's are something about which I know little and Linksys's information on the subject is at best sparse. I was hoping that someone in our group here could point me in the direction of some "how-to's" on the subject. Everything that I have found to date seems like it starts on chapter 3, what I need is chapters 1 and 2. The only way of testing my setup is to attempt to contact the cable route via an internet connection from a dialup account on my notebook. I have download and tested Micr...

VPN using PTPP with a "VPN pass-through router"?
Hi, This is what i want to do: Client (Internet)-------------> Router (192.168.0.1)--------------->Me (192.168.0.3) My ADSL router is a Dlink DSL-504 and it says it offers VPN pass through. Specifically, there are two sections in the configuration that i can see: (1) IP Masquerade Pass Through; (2) NAT ALGs. Both have boxes labelled PPTP and i have both checked. As I understand it PTPP requires TCP/IP on Port 1723 and GRE/IP on Port 47. I have mapped TCP port 1723 on my router through to Me (192.168.0.3). When my mate (Client) connects I get a TCP connection on Por...

Problems with VPN with Bordermanager over a Linux Router (NAT)
Hi, I have a little problem: My Windows-Box is behind a Linux-Box (Mandrake 9.1 and iptables). The linux-box is the gateway for all windows-boxes. On the windows-box (IP: 192.168.1.12) I have installed BorderManager 3.7 R2. When I try to connect to a VPN-Server (outside of my LAN - over the Internet) I can connect, but no crypted packets were received. When I use a dial-up connection to the internet direct on the windows-box (AVM-Fritz-card) the vpn-connect works fine. So, can anyone help me which port I have to forward to my windows-box ?? And how I can do this (with ip...

BorderManager VPN Stops working after ISP has router probs
BM 3.6 VPN. We have two server to server VPN connections. Both have been trouble free for over a year. Recently, the ISP for one of the remote offices had a router melt down. The router was repaired/replaced several hours later. Since then(3 days ago), we have not been able to re-establish the VPN. If I "reset" the VPN tunnel, the server on the other side "hears" it and states that the VPN has become disconnected and re-connected. However, no traffic seems to be able to get through the tunnel. I assume the ISP made some change to their router to cause...

VPN Client 3.8 behind Netgear Router VPN Server C2S behind Linux IPTABLES
I configured my vpn client behind a Netgear router in NAT modus. MY BM 3.8 C2S is running behind Linux IPTABLES in static NAT Modus. If configured my bm policies after the book from john craig (NMAS / PASSWORD/ NDS) If I connect from my VPN Client I get NMAS error "error authentication FFFF996" but nothing in nmasmon (ver 1.21) If I connect the client can read the name of Tree but then occured the error. The same error I get if I configure my vpn client in the same network like linux public interface and attach from there my BM about linux nat interface. Does any...

VPN Confusion
I've been following the SN podcasts and just finished listening to #19. After reviewing the posts in this group, I must admit to being confused by what to use. Hamachi, iPIG, OpenVPN, Remote Desktop, Tight-VNC, Real-VNC, Ultra-VNC, etc. I realize that these are different products for different purposes. My problem is that I'm trying to determine the right solution for my company. I have a Peer-to-Peer network (no servers) in the office with 12 users/PCs. All of these PCs are Win XP of different flavors (Home, Pro, Media Center). The XP Pro and XP Media Center PCs ha...

VPN
Where might I find/configure a log of who connects to our VPN, whether or not they login to Netware once connected, etc. The login to Netware portion is relatively unimportant, but I would like to track basic information like remote IP, username, connect time, disconnect time, etc. Netware 6.5, BorderManager 3.8/SP4/IR3. Client is 3.8.11 for all remote users. We currently have two working VPNs - different servers, different OU's. TIA. -S- I don't know if this has changed in later versions of BM but this is how I monitor activity in BM 3.7. Open NWADM...

VPN Router
Good day group, With all the VPN talk going around I would like to know more about the VPN routers, namely the Linksys. How do these routers compare to OpenVPN? What are the pros and cons of this? The cost of each is not a consideration, that is relative. What can the routers do or not do that the software can or can't do? I would like to hear the experiences of this group. Some disscussion of both would be great. David David wrote: > Good day group, With all the VPN talk going around I would like to > know more about the VPN routers, namely the Linksys. I&#...

legacy vpn + new vpn
Hi, I am running a bordermanager nw6 3.7 server configured as a master vpn server. The slave is also a nw6 3.7 server and is in another country. Now we need to put another slave to this vpn, however w'd like to do that with bordermanager 3.8. The question is if we update this server from 3.7 to 3.8, will the legacy vpn run without a problem, while 3.7 on the other side is running. (I think this will be no problem, correct me if I am wrong) On the other hand I want to configure a new master vpn on the same server by use of imanager. The other slave will be the new company. I...

REPOST
BM 3.6 VPN. We have two server to server VPN connections. Both have been trouble free for over a year. Recently, the ISP for one of the remote offices had a router melt down. The router was repaired/replaced several hours later. Since then(3 days ago), we have not been able to re-establish the VPN. If I "reset" the VPN tunnel, the server on the other side "hears" it and states that the VPN has become disconnected and re-connected. However, no traffic seems to be able to get through the tunnel. I assume the ISP made some change to their router to cause...

BorderManager VPN
Hi, I have a customer who is looking for a VPN solution (No more details yet...) Anyhow they have Border Manager 3.8 for proxy. However another site of theirs uses ISA. I know very little about either products. and would like to know peoples views? is BM a good product for VPN, are their better 3rd Party products? Thanks Hi, I use BM vpns all over the place & rate them highly. The 3.8 release was a major step forward as we now use the ipsec standard for site to site transport & can now talk to any other industry standard ipsec vpn endpoint. Client to...

VPN router
Interested in setting up a VPN router to access files at home but also to tunnel through when browsing the internet on a smartphone or laptop on a public wifi/ wired network. Any suggestions. I know there are alot of options. Something easy to set up and manage, with maximum security. I know true security is not always easy to manage. David http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_(the_easy_way)_v24%2B ...

vpn to vpn connection question
Hello: I've been asked to look into a vpn to vpn connection with a third party vpn server connection to our bm38sp2 vpn. Last week I had asked if this was possible and the answer was yes (but). Currently I have our vpn up and running to allow me secure access from home for remote management. The vpn is setup as the master vpn server. Now, if I try to connect to a third party vpn, will our server be a client in this case (I assume so)? If so, how does this impact our current setup as a master server? Thanks in advance, Chris. PS. Others have suggested (strongly) to si...

Web resources about - VPN and a Dual Wan router confusion - novell.bordermanager.vpn

Confusion of tongues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... humanity spoke a single language, either identical to or derived from the " Adamic language " spoken by Adam and Eve in Paradise. In the confusion ...

New Facebook Friend Lists Cause Some Confusion
Facebook's new profiles include the ability to share friend lists, but how they function is not completely clear to users.

Advertiser Confusion Led to Shutdown of Facebook Conversion Tracking Tool
When Facebook closed a private beta of a conversion tracking tool earlier this month that would have allowed advertisers to see whether users ...

Confusion (@PigsAndPlans) on Twitter

Rebuttal to Andrew Sullivan: Blogs are an amateur thing, that's the source of confusion.
Rebuttal to Andrew Sullivan: Blogs are an amateur thing, that's the source of confusion.

SCOTUS Preview: Trademark Confusion - Jason P. Steed
... (There's still time for them to add more.) Here's a quick preview of one of them:In B&B Hardware, Inc. v. SCOTUS Preview: Trademark Confusion ...

Confusion Corner - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The thing I like best is the two different arrows pointing "north".

Disturbed - Land Of Confusion [Official Music Video] - YouTube
Chicago, Illinois metal band Disturbed has successful mixed aggressive riffs and vocals with a melodic approach to form a winning formula that ...

In confusion-filled David de Gea fallout, Manchester United get last word over Real Madrid
Manchester United's statement on Tuesday clarified things only to a small extent, but ultimately in the public dispute with Real Madrid, what ...

Short Film of the Day: ‘Confusion Through Sand’ Illustrates the Fog of War
... “(Notes on) Biology,” has released their latest award-winning film online, an animated commentary on the haze and horror of war called “Confusion ...