Server access with VPN

I an new to this whole VPN thingy.  I am running 3 Novell SBS 6.0 Sp4
servers and one has Border Manager 3.6 running.  For right now I only
want VPN clients to access the GroupWise 6.0 POA located on the Border
Manager Server, but I was wondering if I need to setup something
differently if I want VPN clients to access the other servers.  My boss
doesn't want the other servers to be reached from the outside, but we had
talked about possibly in the future allowing access to them.  Anyway I
don't want to have to set things up twice if I don't have to.

Just wondering,
Ken@rlmrlm.com
0
ken

With that version of VPN, you control access to internal sites
'globally'.  That is, all VPN users would have the same access.  (3.8
can give more granular control).

What you need to do is to change the default VPN settings in NWADMN32
to 'encrypt only networks listed below', and just put in the POA host
address with a mask of 255.255.255.255.  Then, the only data sent into
the VPN tunnel will be traffic to that address.

If you want to add other servers later, you would add additional
protected hosts in the same menu.

See the URL below if you are interested in a book with a lot of VPN
configuration options / instructions.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
11/23/2005 5:41:50 PM
> With that version of VPN, you control access to internal sites
> 'globally'.  That is, all VPN users would have the same access.  (3.8
> can give more granular control).
>
> What you need to do is to change the default VPN settings in NWADMN32
> to 'encrypt only networks listed below', and just put in the POA host
> address with a mask of 255.255.255.255.  Then, the only data sent into
> the VPN tunnel will be traffic to that address.
>
> If you want to add other servers later, you would add additional
> protected hosts in the same menu.
>
> See the URL below if you are interested in a book with a lot of VPN
> configuration options / instructions.
>
> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

Thanks for the reply and I will look into buying the book.

Have a great holiday!
Ken@rlmrlm.com
0
ken

Deleting 3rd Party S2S VPN Server Breaks Slave VPN Configuration For All Servers, eventually.
I thought I posted this weeks ago but after searching the forum I did not find it. So here is the issue and the Official Novell Fix. Setting up a 3rd Party VPN with BM 3.8.2 and NW 6.5.1. It worked great after it was setup. But if you went to delete a 3rd Party slave VPN server it may break another 3rd party slave. The only fix was to completely remove all servers from the Site to Site vpn configuration. Delete the Master site to site server. Create all new objects. Basically, recreate it all from scratch. Opened an incident with Novell and completed several tests and look...

MS VPN Client to BM38 VPN Server?
On win2k and on XPHome I create a network connection which is a VPN connection, then try to do certificate authentication to the BM 38 VPN server. I have the Novell VPN client on the same machine which can authenticate with the same certificate. The MS client returns an Error 800: unable to establish connection, maybe the network is unreachable, maybe your security settings are wrong. With the Novell Client I pick exactly the certificate I want to use to authenticate. I can't find that option in the MS client, I can select a Trusted Root (so I had to export the Trusted Root and add it ...

VPN appliance and Server access
Greets, I have opted for a SnapGear SME550 VPN appliance for remote access to our NW5.1 servers inside our LAN. So far, I can get inside the LAN from a remote win98 box and ping my servers on 192.168* and even bring up Management Portals for each server with a web browser. Do I still need to do all this BorderManager 'stuff' to login to the Novell Tree and map a few drives? Currently, BorderManager is not installed in our network...but I do have some old BorderManager VPN 3.5 here I could install ONLY if I have to. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Roote...

VPN access crashes server
I have a user that was allowed VPN access. It has now been removed (user is simply not authorized any more) But each time that user tries to access VPN the server abends in IKE (BM 3.8 SP4) Anybody has an idea how to stop this happening? 11-8-2008 11:18:33 pm ***Send Main Mode message to 90.194.85.71 11-8-2008 11:18:33 pm I-COOKIE=2FA4E98E30D23BF0,R-COOKIE=3F2B4360641CCB1F,MsgID =0,1stPL=KEY-PAYLOAD,state=-1757716928 11-8-2008 11:19:33 pm ***Receive Main Mode message from 90.194.85.71 11-8-2008 11:19:33 pm I-COOKIE=2FA4E98E30D23BF0,R-COOKIE=3F2B4360641CCB1F,MsgID =0,1stP...

Bordermanager vpn vs Cisco router vpn etc
I have a small client with a Novell 5.x server with about 35 clients, many of which are needing some sort of vpn access. Trying to figure out if it is easier to setup border manager for vpn access on the server or simply get a router that will provide vpn access. Which would be easier or more cost effective in this scenario over a dsl connection. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks Paul I guess it depends a lot on cost. Do you already have BMgr? (A copy that includes client-site VPN?) If so, just install that and configure it. As for using ...

Access to server via VPN
Hi All, How can I setup my Nw6SP3 file server so that users can access their files over a VPN link? I've tinkered with ifolder but I think that remote users want to be able to access their files as if they were in the office. Anyone help? Regards. > How can I setup my Nw6SP3 file server so that users can access their files > over a VPN link? If using Novell Client, just replace the server name with its IP address under Novell GUI Login | Advanced. Once VPN'd, you should be able to hit the server. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (...

Is BorderManager required for VPN access
We run a mixed 4.2/5.1 network and are looking at installing a mail and internet proxy server. This server is VPN enabled supporting both PPTP and IP-sec. We require remote clients using XP systems to log in to the network. Do I need Border Manager to achieve this ? If not, what would the client systems use to make a connection ? > We run a mixed 4.2/5.1 network and are looking at installing a mail and > internet proxy server. This server is VPN enabled supporting both PPTP and > IP-sec. We require remote clients using XP systems to log in to the >...

Cisco or any 3rd-party VPN client to BM38 VPN Server
In-house we use the Novell VPN client, but some vendor support wants to use the Cisco VPN client. Can it be made to authenticate to our BM3.8 VPN Server? Are any other clients tested compatible? I thought this new generation IKE VPN provided more interoperability. Thanks I believe it can be made to function, with a lot of effort. However, it is easier to just have both Novell and Cisco VPN client installed at the same time. If you want to use Cisco VPN client, realize that it will take a lot of work for purely political reasons, and you will have zero return on investment for...

C2S vpn, no access to local network when VPN connection made
Situation: A customer is making a connection from his workstation, connected to his lan, via the VPN client to our network. As soon as the connection is made he can no longer access his network resources. Even a ping to local resources is not possible. is there a way to confige C2S VPN to let this work? i know it's possible with CISCO vpn... BM38 sp4, vpn client 3.8.9 grtnx jeroen You need to configure the traffic rules such that only the internal network is encrypted, and all others are not (bypass rule). Two rules. (I have an example of this in my BMgr 3.x book at t...

NBM 3.8 VPN Client to a Cisco VPN server
Where might I find detailed instruction on setting this up ? thanks ed There is some info here: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10090479.htm But I'm not sure it is complete. There was a thread on this here in the past couple of days, so you should search back a bit. Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection SysOp *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com *** ...

Unable to access BM server over VPN
I'm unable to access the BM server from across a VPN connection using RConj...I'm also not able to map drives to the BM server. I can ping the ip address of the BM server and also can map drives and RConj into any other server on the "inside" of the BM server. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance... Everything else works fine...drive mappings, accessing other servers, etc. Just can not do anything, except make VPN connections, to the BM server. > I'm unable to access the BM server from across a VPN connection using > RConj...I'm al...

vpn and access to servers inside firewall
I have a c2s vpn setup to allow mobile users to dial in and login to our servers on the inside of the firewall. We are running ip only. The remote users can log in to netware, only if the filters are unloaded. Any idea as to what filter exceptions I need Make in order allow Mobile users to Login to our Netware network? When I look at the filtered packets I see Ports NCP 524 and 427 (NCp and Slp) but I have not been able to create an exception that works. With the filters loaded all I get is "Failed to login to Netware" errors. I need help. Thanks First off, can ...

Access to web services on the vpn server
We have to NW6SB server running with SP2a. One is running as a BM Firewall/VPN server. The other is used as the main print and file server. Accessing VPN works fine. I can access files on both servers. I can manage the internal file server with the Remote Manager on port 8008/8009 from inside an outside (VPN) the network. I can do the same from the inside on the VPN server but not using VPN with the internal address. I even can't reach the service with filters down from the internet. Any suggestions? Regards, Robert Try adding a static nat entry on the public i...

Accessing Mail server via VPN
I am currently running Bm ver 3.7 with NW 6.0. I have users around town that use DSL and Client to site VPN to access services. However the users can do everything they need to exept send E- mail outside the company. Our Exchange server will not allow mail forwording from these clients. I have even added the range that the IP range that the ISP uses to the exchange server. The clints when you do an "ipconfig" gives the address assigned by the ISP. So why question is... How is BM presenting the IP addres to the nework and what address is it presenting? Ma...

Web resources about - Server access with VPN - novell.bordermanager.vpn

New GIGABYTE Server Motherboards Show Xeon D Round 2
... the most awesome product Intel has delivered in years, even if it is slightly hidden away from the mainstream’. There is interest both server ...

Cock.li server seized again by German prosecutor, service moves to Iceland
(video link) The administrator of the cock.li e-mail hosting service told Ars on Friday that a second hard drive had been seized from his Bavarian ...

Trump likens Cruz's citizenship to questions about Clinton's email server
Presidential candidate Donald Trump ratcheted up his attacks on Ted Cruz, attacking him on everything from his citizenship to connections to ...

Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk
Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk

Netflix To Crack Down On Proxy Servers As Share Price Continues To Be Volatile
Netflix is cracking down on people using proxy servers to access the SVOD giant’s library. The use of VPNs (virtual private networks) was commonplace ...

Grand Theft Auto Online servers still down on PlayStation 4
PlayStation 4 servers for Grand Theft Auto Online has been offline for several hours. Rockstar's status page acknowledges on the official site ...

Qualcomm teams up with Chinese province for server chips
... government's investment arm and 45% owned by a subsidiary of Qualcomm. The JV will focus on the design, development and sale of advanced server ...

Microsoft R Server Is Free for Developers and Students
Nearly a year after announcing the acquisition of Revolution Analytics, Microsoft releases its own branded analytics software platform and offers ...

Qualcomm Partners With Chinese Government To Push Server Chips
Qualcomm tries to take on Intel in the data center market by striking a deal with the Chinese government.