Problems with latest VPN client (to site) on XP/SP1 and BM 3.6

VPN client won't make the connection to the BM server.  Info:

Client    : Windows XP, SP 1
VPN client: 3.7.0, downloaded and installed a week or two ago.

Server    : SPACK     5.1.4       v4.0 Support Pack for NetWare 5.1

BM        : BM36SP    3.6.1A      BorderManager 3.6 Support Pack 1A
            BRDRMGR   3.5.0       Novell BorderManager 3.6.0

Connection: Cable modem
Other:  The workstation is a Panasonic Toughbook laptop and seems to
require IPCONFIG /RELEASE, IPCONFIG /RENEW when we connect it to the
cable modem.  No router/hub at the remote location.  After these, the
workstation can browse the Internet.

Most recent Error Message:

-> Failed authenticating user
-> VPTunnel Driver returned an error

The user is admin equivalent.  I can make the connection from my house

using his name and password (and, of course, using my name and
password
as well).  He cannot connection from his house using my name/pword or
his own.  I am running an older VPN client, 3.5.3.  We reinstalled the

VPN client on the problem machine yesterday but it didn't change
anything.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions - I'm stumped.  Patches to
BM
on the server?

-S-

0
Steve

Steve Freides wrote:
> Other:  The workstation is a Panasonic Toughbook laptop and seems to

> require IPCONFIG /RELEASE, IPCONFIG /RENEW when we connect it to the

> cable modem.  No router/hub at the remote location.  After these,
the
> workstation can browse the Internet.

Does it behave like this with the VPN client not installed?

> Patches to BM on the server?

BM36sp2a is a good SP for sure, although I don't think it's related to

this particular issue.
--
Lance Reynolds, CNE

0
Lance
5/23/2003 2:06:44 PM
Lance Reynolds wrote:

> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Other:  The workstation is a Panasonic Toughbook laptop and seems
> > require IPCONFIG /RELEASE, IPCONFIG /RENEW when we connect it to
the
> > cable modem.  No router/hub at the remote location.  After these,
the
> > workstation can browse the Internet.
>
> Does it behave like this with the VPN client not installed?

I haven't tested it this way but I'd guess the answer is "yes."
However,
I must add that I think this likely the problem of the cable modem
and/or the ISP behind it, not anything on the computer - I used the
computer here, where I have a standard business DSL setup with a
router
providing DHCP, and the laptop worked first time although I did, at
one
point, have trouble getting it to work.  But I reinstalled the VPN
client and it was fine again.  In its current state, I think it's fine

at my house but not fine at the client's (using his cable modem
setup).
The problem is that his cable modem setup works fine with his W98
desktop machine so we're a bit stumped as to what may be different
with
this machine.

> > Patches to BM on the server?
>
> BM36sp2a is a good SP for sure, although I don't think it's related
> this particular issue.

I will try that patch but I confess to being stumped about this one
still.

-S-

> --
> Lance Reynolds, CNE

0
Steve
5/23/2003 6:21:11 PM
Strange indeed.  This isn't a factory preload of XP is it?

--
Lance Reynolds, CNE

0
Lance
5/23/2003 7:05:27 PM
Lance Reynolds wrote:

> Strange indeed.  This isn't a factory preload of XP is it?

It was a strange factory preload - you got to pick W2k or XP the first

time you turned on the machine.  I installed SP1 on top of that,
fitfully, I might add - the machine has a sound driver that didn't
work
w/ SP1 but it took me 3 techs to figure that out.  Updated the sound
driver, installed SP1, and the machine seems alright.

Any hints as to why that might matter?

-S-

0
Steve
5/24/2003 5:46:14 AM
Does it have a personal firewall?  (XP has one built in that will
cause
issues).

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://nscsysop.hypermart.net ***

0
Craig
5/24/2003 7:30:58 AM
I never ever trust a factory preload.  I'd rather spend the extra time

and load the os myself than deal with the gremlins that could be
hidden
inside.  If Craig's firewall hint doesn't part the clouds and make the

angels sing, you might do yourself some justice and blow that thing
away.
--
Lance Reynolds, CNE

0
Lance
5/24/2003 12:10:42 PM
Craig Johnson wrote:

> Does it have a personal firewall?  (XP has one built in that will
cause
> issues).

Hi, Craig.

I don't know if it has a personal firewall as part of it's XP
installation.  I did not elect to install such a thing that I'm aware
of.  Can you give me a pointer on how to determine if such a thing is
running and how to disable it?

TIA.

-S-

> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://nscsysop.hypermart.net ***

0
Steve
5/24/2003 1:11:58 PM
Just do a Google search on XP and Firewall.