Cisco VPN or BM VPN open question..

Hi People,

I have a customer, they have a small Netware deployment (100 Users), and
like the Novell Technologies.

They are now looking to provide their own internet access (currently hosted)

Therefore they are going to need a Proxy server and a VPN server.

Cisco salesman has been in and told them the best option is to use a
Cisco VPN (I guess this only does VPN and not Proxy but I am not sure of
the Details.)

Was just wondering if anyone had any views, whether to use CISCO vpn or BM.

So far I can think of...

1)  I think that BM will be cheaper?
2) They have a Netware skill in house so I guess BM will be easier to
manage??
3) User access can be managed from eDirectory..

Thanks for any input

Pete
0
Peter

In article <OrcVe.3272$h61.3186@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Peter Norris
wrote:
> Cisco salesman has been in and told them the best option is to use a
> Cisco VPN (I guess this only does VPN and not Proxy but I am not sure of
> the Details.)

That is essentially correct, if by proxy you mean a caching proxy.  And in
particular a proxy where you can control browsing by user, group or NDS
container.

> Was just wondering if anyone had any views, whether to use CISCO vpn or BM.

Definitely want to use BMgr proxy.  VPN - could go either way, but if you
already have BMgr proxy, you might as well simply set up the BMgr VPN also.

> So far I can think of...
>
> 1)  I think that BM will be cheaper?
If you already have BMgr, then there is no need to buy another firewall/vpn
box.

> 2) They have a Netware skill in house so I guess BM will be easier to
> manage??

Could be.  However, if they have never managed a firewall before, all of this
will be new to them.  (Have a look at the URL below).

> 3) User access can be managed from eDirectory..

This is a BIG selling point in favor of BMgr.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
9/13/2005 3:07:08 AM
Craig Johnson wrote:
> In article <OrcVe.3272$h61.3186@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Peter Norris
> wrote:
>
>>Cisco salesman has been in and told them the best option is to use a
>>Cisco VPN (I guess this only does VPN and not Proxy but I am not sure of
>>the Details.)
>>

> That is essentially correct, if by proxy you mean a caching proxy.  And in
> particular a proxy where you can control browsing by user, group or NDS
> container.
>

>>Was just wondering if anyone had any views, whether to use CISCO vpn or BM.
>

> Definitely want to use BMgr proxy.  VPN - could go either way, but if you
> already have BMgr proxy, you might as well simply set up the BMgr VPN also.
>
>>So far I can think of...
>>
>>1)  I think that BM will be cheaper?
>
> If you already have BMgr, then there is no need to buy another firewall/vpn
> box.
>

>>2) They have a Netware skill in house so I guess BM will be easier to
>>manage??
>

> Could be.  However, if they have never managed a firewall before, all of this
> will be new to them.  (Have a look at the URL below).
>

>>3) User access can be managed from eDirectory..
>

> This is a BIG selling point in favor of BMgr.
>

> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

Thanks Craig,

I have been checking your site, it is really good (as goes with the
books that I purchased last year... ;) .  I have Used BM as a proxy
with a few companies, but I have not done much work with the VPN so I
better rip out our ISA server at the office and replace it with BM so I
get some hands on....

On a possitive note I am finding that BM is suddenly becoming more
popular with lots of our Novell clients, This year just seems to be a
good year for Novell in Australia lots of interest in upgrades and using
more utilies....

I hope this is a sign of things to come...

thanks again

Pete
0
Peter
9/13/2005 10:44:59 AM
In article <L4yVe.4397$h61.3905@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Peter Norris
wrote:
> On a possitive note I am finding that BM is suddenly becoming more
> popular with lots of our Novell clients, This year just seems to be a
> good year for Novell in Australia lots of interest in upgrades and using
> more utilies....

Interesting!

> I hope this is a sign of things to come...

Yes, I hope so.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig

Bordermanager vpn vs Cisco router vpn etc
I have a small client with a Novell 5.x server with about 35 clients, many of which are needing some sort of vpn access. Trying to figure out if it is easier to setup border manager for vpn access on the server or simply get a router that will provide vpn access. Which would be easier or more cost effective in this scenario over a dsl connection. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks Paul I guess it depends a lot on cost. Do you already have BMgr? (A copy that includes client-site VPN?) If so, just install that and configure it. As for using ...

vpn to vpn connection question
Hello: I've been asked to look into a vpn to vpn connection with a third party vpn server connection to our bm38sp2 vpn. Last week I had asked if this was possible and the answer was yes (but). Currently I have our vpn up and running to allow me secure access from home for remote management. The vpn is setup as the master vpn server. Now, if I try to connect to a third party vpn, will our server be a client in this case (I assume so)? If so, how does this impact our current setup as a master server? Thanks in advance, Chris. PS. Others have suggested (strongly) to si...

BM VPN site - to
Hi, Can i use BM 3.7 or 3.8 to create a site-to-site VPN with a BM server on one site an a hardware VPN device (Cisco, Nortel) on the other site ? Or does site-to-site VPN always need to be 2 BM servers ? Regards, Jan Wiersma the Netherlands. Jan Wiersma wrote: > Hi, > > Can i use BM 3.7 or 3.8 to create a site-to-site VPN with a BM server on one site an a hardware VPN device (Cisco, Nortel) on the other site ? > Or does site-to-site VPN always need to be 2 BM servers ? 3.7 is BMgr only. 3.8 should work with any IPSEC VPN. -andy ...

BMEE VPN and Cisco PIX VPN
Quick question on VPNs. Finally got my Bordermanager VPN to work thru my PIX firewall by being a little creative...by VPNing within a VPN. To explain, the connection goes from my ISP > PIX 515 > Bordermanager 3.7 > Internal network. I have enabled VPN on both the PIX and Bordermanager servers so I connect to the PIX VPN and then to my Bordermanager VPN (within the PIX VPN). The PIX vpn is darned quick, but connecting to my BMEE box is almost too slow to consider useful. I can run programs, but drive mappings come and go and launching any executable from the internal ne...

Small VPN appliance to connect to BM VPN
--____VQHYVYNDJJYFRGAXQVCU____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 30 Mar 2007 18:09:36 -0400" Can anybody recommend a small (inexpensive) router that could easily = create a VPN from it to a BM 3.8 server? We have a remote location = (warehouse) that will have 2 computers. I was going to set up the = workstations to connect to a Terminal server in the main office to run the = applications they require. The problem I am attempting to deal with is = that the use...

Connect VPN client thru BM to another VPN
i, I have a problem connecting a client inside my network (10.x.x.x) using a CISCO VPN CLIENT. My firewall is a Bordermanager 3.6 SP2a server using NAT and I want to connect to other VPN server. How I have to configure the BM serfver to connect internal client to access others VPN server ????? Thanks in advance Jose hi Jose, let me understand. Are you trying to connect with a Cisco VPN client to a CIsco VPN server or to a BM VPN server? -- Cat Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

VPN C2S using Cisco VPN Client to BM38...
Has anyone got the Cisco VPN Client successfully connecting to a BM38 server? Is so, is there an Appnote like for S2S using BM38 to Cisco IOS... I have seen quite a few posts about this subject by no real positive stuff like....I've got it working!! Cheers, Richard. Hello Richard, i'm only know two tid's from novell discribe this problem, but i dosn't know someone how get it work ;-) S2S Cisco and BM: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10090479.htm C2S Cisco to BM http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/1009543...

NBM VPN-Client /w Cisco VPN Concentrator
Hi all, Is it possible to use the Novell BorderManager VPN-Client to connect to a Cisco VPN Concentrator? If so, can anybody point me in a direction how to set this up? Thanks in advance. Rgrds, Martijn Yes, it should be possible, but no, I don't know where to point for config info. However, as part of interoperability testing (for VPN certification), I'm pretty sure this scenario was tested and worked. Myself, I would first get the BMgr VPN set up (with BMgr VPN client and BMgr VPN server) to do certificate-based authentication, so that you know what to do on...

S2S VPN bm38 and Cisco VPN concentrator 3000
Hello again, I need to make a Lan 2 Lan VPN between a CISCO VPN 3000 and bm3.8. I just recently upgraded from BM3.7 and has legacy VPN working, but no S2S enabled. I'm a bit confused about alle the settings in IManager and need a little guidance, can anyone help or point me to som "easy to read" checklist. I have bought Craig Johnson's 2 books, but haven't quite read all 1223 pages :-) regards Anders, Denmark In my book, the closest section would be the example for the Linksys router used as a S2S member. You want the very latest version, released...

Cisco or any 3rd-party VPN client to BM38 VPN Server
In-house we use the Novell VPN client, but some vendor support wants to use the Cisco VPN client. Can it be made to authenticate to our BM3.8 VPN Server? Are any other clients tested compatible? I thought this new generation IKE VPN provided more interoperability. Thanks I believe it can be made to function, with a lot of effort. However, it is easier to just have both Novell and Cisco VPN client installed at the same time. If you want to use Cisco VPN client, realize that it will take a lot of work for purely political reasons, and you will have zero return on investment for...

VPN
Where might I find/configure a log of who connects to our VPN, whether or not they login to Netware once connected, etc. The login to Netware portion is relatively unimportant, but I would like to track basic information like remote IP, username, connect time, disconnect time, etc. Netware 6.5, BorderManager 3.8/SP4/IR3. Client is 3.8.11 for all remote users. We currently have two working VPNs - different servers, different OU's. TIA. -S- I don't know if this has changed in later versions of BM but this is how I monitor activity in BM 3.7. Open NWADM...

VPN thru BM 3.6 t oW2K VPN
--____NKHXHHECQEOVYUGORWTG____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Is it possible to create a VPN from a W2k-machine to a W2K-Server in the = Internet from a NAT-Network across Bordermanager ? Greetings Uwe --____NKHXHHECQEOVYUGORWTG____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____HOHDEQRUFCFDMNBJPEJB____" --____HOHDEQRUFCFDMNBJPEJB____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&qu...

legacy vpn + new vpn
Hi, I am running a bordermanager nw6 3.7 server configured as a master vpn server. The slave is also a nw6 3.7 server and is in another country. Now we need to put another slave to this vpn, however w'd like to do that with bordermanager 3.8. The question is if we update this server from 3.7 to 3.8, will the legacy vpn run without a problem, while 3.7 on the other side is running. (I think this will be no problem, correct me if I am wrong) On the other hand I want to configure a new master vpn on the same server by use of imanager. The other slave will be the new company. I...

NBM 3.8 VPN Client to a Cisco VPN server
Where might I find detailed instruction on setting this up ? thanks ed There is some info here: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10090479.htm But I'm not sure it is complete. There was a thread on this here in the past couple of days, so you should search back a bit. Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection SysOp *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com *** ...

Web resources about - Cisco VPN or BM VPN open question.. - novell.bordermanager.vpn

Test opener David Warner questions the need to change Test cricket
Dave Warner understands why the pink ball concept is good for Test cricket but has questioned whether administrators are making unnecessary changes ...

Joe Hockey expected to be appointed to US ambassador post; Opposition questions Malcolm Turnbull's confidence ...
The Opposition questions the expected appointment of Joe Hockey as Australia's next ambassador to the United States.

Question Period Returns: 7 Political Matchups To Watch
Ceremonial traditions turn to raw politics today as the new Liberal government faces its first grilling in question period. The parliamentary ...

Top-Notch, Collegial Firm? 3 Questions To Ask
Biglaw partner turned in-house lawyer Mark Herrmann provides a way to assess whether your firm truly consists of high-quality lawyers who work ...

A few questions for Donald Trump regarding his call for a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslim immigration ...
I guess it was only a matter of time: BREAKING: Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United ...

Answers to Your Publishing Questions
Every week over on the BlogHer Writing Lab's Facebook group , we have open threads where people can post questions, give answers, or state what ...

Trump questions Obama's remarks on Muslim-American athletes
The GOP frontrunner live-tweeted President Obama's primetime speech on terrorism

Ask Me Anything: Questions 3 & 4
For your Sunday viewing pleasure, here are the next two questions and answers in my Ask Me Anything series . Question 3 is about an area of physics ...

Internet questions Jony Ive’s sanity with new iPhone battery case
Apple’s new Smart Battery Case just gave “fugly” a new definition: Functional, but ugly. The new case came as a surprise this morning, offering ...