BM VPN client (C2S) w/Cisco 3005

Anyone tried to set up a C2S VPN using the BM 3.8 Client to a Cisco 3005?

Any suggestions, comments, help would be appreciated.
0
Doug

Novell has done it, and I think have documented it somewhere, probably
an AppNote.

Easiest way would probably be to use preshared secret, but X.509
certificate mode should also work.  (Somewhat complicated to set up).

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/19/2005 6:51:14 AM
> Novell has done it, and I think have documented it somewhere, probably
> an AppNote.

It si fine if Novell has done it, but the AppNote's I have been able to find
is S2S.
Do you have a link to any documentation?

regards

akvang

0
akvang
1/22/2005 4:39:32 PM
In article <8lvId.377$P_6.143@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Akvang
wrote:
> Do you have a link to any documentation?

Sure! There's always my signature line, with link to my BMgr tips and
books. <G>

However, I guess what you want is something on Cisco/BM VPN, and can't
find it.  Look here:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/7971.html

This, and other AppNotes and TID's, are linked from the BMgr
documentation pages at support.novell.com.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/23/2005 3:36:55 AM
I already found this AppNote, but as I said, this and other AppNotes I have
found
deals with site-to-site configuration.
So far I have not been able to find any AppNotes or other documentation for
client-to-site setup / configuration using the Cisco VPN client to access BM
3.8.

Thanks anyway

regards

akvang

"Craig Johnson" <craigsj@ix.netcom.com> skrev i melding
> In article <8lvId.377$P_6.143@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Akvang
> wrote:
> > Do you have a link to any documentation?
> >
> Sure! There's always my signature line, with link to my BMgr tips and
> books. <G>
>
> However, I guess what you want is something on Cisco/BM VPN, and can't
> find it.  Look here:
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/7971.html
>
> This, and other AppNotes and TID's, are linked from the BMgr
> documentation pages at support.novell.com.
>
> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
akvang
1/23/2005 10:26:31 AM
In article <rZKId.617$P_6.443@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Akvang wrote:
> So far I have not been able to find any AppNotes or other documentation for
> client-to-site setup / configuration using the Cisco VPN client to access BM
> 3.8.

Ah - yes, I can see that might be an issue.

Are you wanting to use X.509 certificate mode, or shared secret?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
2/2/2005 4:57:43 AM
I would prefer to use X.509 certificate mode if it can be done

> In article <rZKId.617$P_6.443@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Akvang wrote:
> > So far I have not been able to find any AppNotes or other documentation
for
> > client-to-site setup / configuration using the Cisco VPN client to
access BM
> > 3.8.
> >
> Ah - yes, I can see that might be an issue.
>
> Are you wanting to use X.509 certificate mode, or shared secret?
>
> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
akvang
2/7/2005 7:40:43 PM
OK - first off, I would set up the BMgr VPN client to use X509, so that
if it works at least you know the BMgr server itself is configured
correctly.  That way, at least you only have to work on the Cisco end.

I have the procedure for using X509 certs on a BMgr VPN client as an
example in my BMgr 3.x book.  I assume there is documentation on
Novell's site for this as well.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
2/8/2005 12:54:05 AM
> OK - first off, I would set up the BMgr VPN client to use X509, so that
> if it works at least you know the BMgr server itself is configured
> correctly.  That way, at least you only have to work on the Cisco end.

We did that when we configured the C2S VPN and it worked OK.
When we tried to setup and connect using the Cisco client we could not
get it to work. There was no indication at the BM serverscreen that we tried
connect to the server.

I'll see if I can finde the time do some more testing.

Thanks

akvang

0
akvang

NBM VPN-Client /w Cisco VPN Concentrator
Hi all, Is it possible to use the Novell BorderManager VPN-Client to connect to a Cisco VPN Concentrator? If so, can anybody point me in a direction how to set this up? Thanks in advance. Rgrds, Martijn Yes, it should be possible, but no, I don't know where to point for config info. However, as part of interoperability testing (for VPN certification), I'm pretty sure this scenario was tested and worked. Myself, I would first get the BMgr VPN set up (with BMgr VPN client and BMgr VPN server) to do certificate-based authentication, so that you know what to do on...

VPN C2S using Cisco VPN Client to BM38...
Has anyone got the Cisco VPN Client successfully connecting to a BM38 server? Is so, is there an Appnote like for S2S using BM38 to Cisco IOS... I have seen quite a few posts about this subject by no real positive stuff like....I've got it working!! Cheers, Richard. Hello Richard, i'm only know two tid's from novell discribe this problem, but i dosn't know someone how get it work ;-) S2S Cisco and BM: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10090479.htm C2S Cisco to BM http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/1009543...

Cisco VPN or BM VPN open question..
Hi People, I have a customer, they have a small Netware deployment (100 Users), and like the Novell Technologies. They are now looking to provide their own internet access (currently hosted) Therefore they are going to need a Proxy server and a VPN server. Cisco salesman has been in and told them the best option is to use a Cisco VPN (I guess this only does VPN and not Proxy but I am not sure of the Details.) Was just wondering if anyone had any views, whether to use CISCO vpn or BM. So far I can think of... 1) I think that BM will be cheaper? 2) They have a Netwar...

Bordermanager vpn vs Cisco router vpn etc
I have a small client with a Novell 5.x server with about 35 clients, many of which are needing some sort of vpn access. Trying to figure out if it is easier to setup border manager for vpn access on the server or simply get a router that will provide vpn access. Which would be easier or more cost effective in this scenario over a dsl connection. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks Paul I guess it depends a lot on cost. Do you already have BMgr? (A copy that includes client-site VPN?) If so, just install that and configure it. As for using ...

Connect VPN client thru BM to another VPN
i, I have a problem connecting a client inside my network (10.x.x.x) using a CISCO VPN CLIENT. My firewall is a Bordermanager 3.6 SP2a server using NAT and I want to connect to other VPN server. How I have to configure the BM serfver to connect internal client to access others VPN server ????? Thanks in advance Jose hi Jose, let me understand. Are you trying to connect with a Cisco VPN client to a CIsco VPN server or to a BM VPN server? -- Cat Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

Cisco or any 3rd-party VPN client to BM38 VPN Server
In-house we use the Novell VPN client, but some vendor support wants to use the Cisco VPN client. Can it be made to authenticate to our BM3.8 VPN Server? Are any other clients tested compatible? I thought this new generation IKE VPN provided more interoperability. Thanks I believe it can be made to function, with a lot of effort. However, it is easier to just have both Novell and Cisco VPN client installed at the same time. If you want to use Cisco VPN client, realize that it will take a lot of work for purely political reasons, and you will have zero return on investment for...

NBM 3.8 VPN Client to a Cisco VPN server
Where might I find detailed instruction on setting this up ? thanks ed There is some info here: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10090479.htm But I'm not sure it is complete. There was a thread on this here in the past couple of days, so you should search back a bit. Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection SysOp *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com *** ...

BM VPN site - to
Hi, Can i use BM 3.7 or 3.8 to create a site-to-site VPN with a BM server on one site an a hardware VPN device (Cisco, Nortel) on the other site ? Or does site-to-site VPN always need to be 2 BM servers ? Regards, Jan Wiersma the Netherlands. Jan Wiersma wrote: > Hi, > > Can i use BM 3.7 or 3.8 to create a site-to-site VPN with a BM server on one site an a hardware VPN device (Cisco, Nortel) on the other site ? > Or does site-to-site VPN always need to be 2 BM servers ? 3.7 is BMgr only. 3.8 should work with any IPSEC VPN. -andy ...

Did anybody try to get Nokia Mobile VPN Client to connect to a BM VPN server?
If you do not know the software (for symbian mobile phones) see: http://businesssoftware.nokia.com/mobile_vpn_downloads.php This client seems to be very wide adaptable to different Ipsec VPN authentication and encryption methods. But I do not know which methods are implemented on the BM side, so I cannot judge from the documentation, if this can work or is clearly impossible. If it could be made working, that would be a really nice thing. -- W. Prindl W_, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has trigg...

MTU on client with BM VPN client
On plain XP connecting to Internet via ADSL router I can get MTU (tested with TCP Optimizer) of 1492 - what matches the settings on the router itself. As soon as I install BM VPN client the MTU lowers to 1374 Is that normal? Seb -- spgsitsupport ------------------------------------------------------------------------ spgsitsupport wrote: > On plain XP connecting to Internet via ADSL router I can get MTU (tested > with TCP Optimizer) of 1492 - what matches the settings on the router > itself. > > As soon as I install BM VPN client the MTU lowers t...

VPN Client 3.8 behind Netgear Router VPN Server C2S behind Linux IPTABLES
I configured my vpn client behind a Netgear router in NAT modus. MY BM 3.8 C2S is running behind Linux IPTABLES in static NAT Modus. If configured my bm policies after the book from john craig (NMAS / PASSWORD/ NDS) If I connect from my VPN Client I get NMAS error "error authentication FFFF996" but nothing in nmasmon (ver 1.21) If I connect the client can read the name of Tree but then occured the error. The same error I get if I configure my vpn client in the same network like linux public interface and attach from there my BM about linux nat interface. Does any...

BM 3.8 Client VPN w/ Pre-shared keys
Good Day Everyone, We've installed a new 3.8 server and noticed the VPN client includes a "pre-shared key option". This appeals to us alot more than the certificate based authentication. We just can't have everybody logging into C1 or imanager to export thier certificates. Alot of our users use VPN from home and can't bring in thier system to use the "retrieve certificate" option in the client. Anyways, I can't find much at all about using pre-shared keys in the 3.8 docs. I did see a set command for the key but no matter what i try ...

Bordermanager VPN client AND iFolder 2 client
Hello, We have always given our laptop users the Novell BorderManager VPN client (WinXP Pro)to access various services. We now have iFolder 2.1 available to them. However, when they install the iFolder client, on reboot, they are informed that a problem has occured with the installion the iFolder client and to retry the install. This doesn't get resolved. Is it possible to run both?. I know the VPN client is not required for remote access to iFolder, however, our users need the VPN client to access other services. Rgds. Stan Chelchowski Hi, stanch@**.co.uk wrote: &...

Backwards compatibility w/ new VPN client failing to BM 3.7
We have VPN setup and running on a fully-patched BM 3.7 server, and using the VPN 3.7 client can connect without a problem. Now we are trying, for no particular reason, to use the 3.8.3 client, and it's not working. Error is "Failed to connect to the authentication gateway. Either [ipaddress] is an invalid VPN server address or the authentication gateway is not loaded on the VPN server." But we get this message at the same time that a VPN 3.7 client machine can successfully connect. The test machine does not have the Netware client installed on it, but I don...

Web resources about - BM VPN client (C2S) w/Cisco 3005 - novell.bordermanager.vpn