Downloads stop downloading

File downloads stop downloading at random. We reboot our BorderManager and
the downloads seem to work fine for a day or two and then the problem
starts again. The downloads will start fine but then at some point before
the download completes, it stops downloading anymore. Doesn't matter what
browser we use. This problems happens no matter what site on the Internet
we download from. Any ideas?
0
chadbanks
3/27/2007 4:11:42 PM
novell.bordermanager.proxies 3217 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <2nbOh.1421$uX.618@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,  wrote:
> Any ideas?

Any patch level information? <Smile>

Could be related to patch level (see tip #1 at the URL below).  Could
be related to proxy.cfg settings (see tip #63) though I doubt it in
this case.  Could be NSS cache volumes - tell me how the BMgr server is
configured.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
3/27/2007 8:44:08 PM
BorderManager 6.5 is installed. There are no cache volumes.

> In article <2nbOh.1421$uX.618@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,  wrote:
> > Any ideas?
> >
> Any patch level information? <Smile>
>
> Could be related to patch level (see tip #1 at the URL below).  Could
> be related to proxy.cfg settings (see tip #63) though I doubt it in
> this case.  Could be NSS cache volumes - tell me how the BMgr server is
> configured.
>
> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
elisonr
3/29/2007 2:42:33 PM
NetWare 6.5 is installed. BorderManager 3.8 SP4 is installed.

> BorderManager 6.5 is installed. There are no cache volumes.
>
> > In article <2nbOh.1421$uX.618@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,  wrote:
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > Any patch level information? <Smile>
> >
> > Could be related to patch level (see tip #1 at the URL below).  Could
> > be related to proxy.cfg settings (see tip #63) though I doubt it in
> > this case.  Could be NSS cache volumes - tell me how the BMgr server
is
> > configured.
> >
> > Craig Johnson
> > Novell Support Connection SysOp
> > *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> > BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
chadbanks
3/29/2007 2:48:43 PM
> BorderManager 6.5 is installed. There are no cache volumes.

Does it mean that your cache is writing in your SYS volume? If that's
the case, it could be the first issue.
you should have the cache using its own volumes, since the cache will
grow until it occupies 95% of the volume where it resides, therefore if
this volume is the sys volume, it can create several issues.
If you're in 6.5 and you're using the sys volume to write the cache, it
means that your proxy is using NSS (that is the default type for NW6.5)
and that's another issue, because the proxy cache volumes should be
traditional volumes, not NSS.

--
Cat
NSC Volunteer Sysop

> > BorderManager 6.5 is installed. There are no cache volumes.
>
> Does it mean that your cache is writing in your SYS volume? If that's
> the case, it could be the first issue.
> you should have the cache using its own volumes, since the cache will
> grow until it occupies 95% of the volume where it resides, therefore if
> this volume is the sys volume, it can create several issues.
> If you're in 6.5 and you're using the sys volume to write the cache, it
> means that your proxy is using NSS (that is the default type for NW6.5)
> and that's another issue, because the proxy cache volumes should be
> traditional volumes, not NSS.
>
> --
> Cat
> NSC Volunteer Sysop

0
chadbanks
3/29/2007 3:26:39 PM
hi,

> It's not acting as a proxy cache server. It's not using NSS. It had been
> working fine for months. This problem starting happening just a few weeks
> ago. Do you think it's because SP5 isn't installed?

so, is it just doing NAT for your internal clients?
Do you have any errors in the statistics of the LAN cards (not enough
ECBs maybe?)
Do the downloads stop always at the same point?

--
Cat
NSC Volunteer Sysop

> hi,
>
> > It's not acting as a proxy cache server. It's not using NSS. It had
been
> > working fine for months. This problem starting happening just a few
weeks
> > ago. Do you think it's because SP5 isn't installed?
>
> so, is it just doing NAT for your internal clients?
> Do you have any errors in the statistics of the LAN cards (not enough
> ECBs maybe?)
> Do the downloads stop always at the same point?
>
> --
> Cat
> NSC Volunteer Sysop

0
chadbanks
3/29/2007 8:14:16 PM
> Yes, it's doing NAT. Downloads stop at different points.

In this case I'd definitively look at the statistics on the LAN cards,
in monitor.

--
Cat
NSC Volunteer Sysop
chadbanks@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yes, it's doing NAT. Downloads stop at different points.
>
>> hi,
>>
>>> It's not acting as a proxy cache server. It's not using NSS. It had
> been
>>> working fine for months. This problem starting happening just a few
> weeks
>>> ago. Do you think it's because SP5 isn't installed?
>> so, is it just doing NAT for your internal clients?
>> Do you have any errors in the statistics of the LAN cards (not enough
>> ECBs maybe?)
>> Do the downloads stop always at the same point?
>>
>> --
>> Cat
>> NSC Volunteer Sysop

1. if you unload filters after the failure and try it again, does it work?
2. If not, take a lan trace to see why is failing

Gonzalo
0
mysterious
3/30/2007 6:34:49 AM
A while back I had a problem exactly like this; working fine then
intermittent disconnects to the outside world.

In my case it turned out the ISP had blasted out a firmware upgrade to
their cable modems.  No problems with those that had DHCP but for us who
had static addresses, intermittent problems.  It took my packet traces
to show them that occasionally the "upgraded" modem was using an
incorrect source address to contact my BoarderManager and, of course my
BoarderManager would ignore the message.  Result, the cable modem
assumed the BoarderManager was no longer there and stop talking to it.
A short while later my BoarderManager would contact the cable modem; the
cable modem replied with the proper source address and communication
would start again (for a while).

Just my experience.

Bob

chadbanks@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yes, it's doing NAT. Downloads stop at different points.
>
>> hi,
>>
>>> It's not acting as a proxy cache server. It's not using NSS. It had
> been
>>> working fine for months. This problem starting happening just a few
> weeks
>>> ago. Do you think it's because SP5 isn't installed?
>> so, is it just doing NAT for your internal clients?
>> Do you have any errors in the statistics of the LAN cards (not enough
>> ECBs maybe?)
>> Do the downloads stop always at the same point?
>>
>> --
>> Cat
>> NSC Volunteer Sysop

0
Bob

Web resources about - Downloads stop downloading - novell.bordermanager.proxies

Uploading and downloading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... include a web server , FTP server, email server, or other similar systems. A download can mean either any file that is offered for downloading ...

Dropify Download 2.0 Simplifies Uploading Content To Facebook, Downloading, Sharing
... with Facebook’s Open Graph and allowing users to make files available for download via the social network, and share uploading and downloading ...

I'm Downloading on the App Store on iTunes
Get I'm Downloading on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Why is Dropbox so slow at downloading?
I've upgraded to the new version, and have relinked the machine that was upgraded. It's downloading at 5K per second. Why so slow? This is on ...

Password Hacks, Downloading Movies Legally, and Bluetooth Headphones - YouTube
This week on the podcast we're talking about everybody getting hacked, the best browser for privacy, and sex myths debunked. We're also answering ...

Stars fear illegal downloading
Stars fear illegal downloading

You Might Not Get Fined For Downloading Dallas Buyers Club
Dallas Buyers Club pirates and torrenters, there may be a shining light at the end of the dark tunnel ahead of you. The studio behind the movie ...

Australian anti-piracy crusader Graham Burke on illicit downloading, failure and exercise
Anti-piracy crusader Graham Burke says his company will soon be prepared to sue pirates.

Music Piracy - Illegal Downloading - Kazaa - Woman Loses Appeal
US woman loses $222,000 music downloading appeal

iiNet - Illegal Film Downloading - Piracy - Copyright - BitTorrent - File Sharing
IN THE movie industry's landmark case over illegal film downloads, internet service provider iiNet has launched its counter-attack, calling the ...