New software security device

Hello.

Is there any way to create a new Software security device besides the
one that is bundled with Mozilla/Firefox?

I know it is possible to add new hardware security devices, and then
choose among all of them.
And I need to do it in the same profile. I am doing some tests and need
to select between security devices (this is the important part for my
tests).

Thank you in advance.

Emilio Perez.

0
Emilio
12/20/2005 9:08:57 PM
netscape.mozilla.crypto 949 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Emilio Perez wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is there any way to create a new Software security device besides the
> one that is bundled with Mozilla/Firefox?

The Software security device is basically a PKCS #11 module. You can
load additional pkcs #11 modules to support external hardware or your
own idea of the cert store. There is nothing magic about hardware, the
same interface works for all new security devices.

NSS uses the following criteria to decide what security device it will
use for a given task:

1) If there is a key involved in the operation, NSS checks to see if the
device which holds the key can do the given operation, if it can NSS
continues to use that device.
2) If there is no key involved, or the key is a public key, or the
device in which the key lives cannot do the given operation, NSS will
select the 'default' device for that operation. In practice this is
almost always the software security device. It is possible to select
another device as the default device for certain operations (like an RSA
accellerator, for instance). NSS's behavior is undefined if you have
more than one default device.
3) Certain operation involving creation or import of cert and keys, the
application typically prompts the user for where to import the key.

> I know it is possible to add new hardware security devices, and then
> choose among all of them.
> And I need to do it in the same profile. I am doing some tests and
> need to select between security devices (this is the important part
> for my tests).

The best way to handle your tests is to import different keys and certs
into each of your test security devices, then use the appropriate key or
cert to select your security device.

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Emilio Perez.

Bob

script to install directly a new Security Device into the Device Manager?
Hi, I installed a custom NSS Security Device using the Device Manager console. Is there a script that I can run to : - install directly this new Security Device into the Firefox browser when I plug-in my NSS secure device into an USB port? - uninstall the device when I remove it? I don't know where to start? May be I need to update the user's profile? Thank you ...

Security of Open Source Software (Was: Mozilla fiddles while Mozilla burns)
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Big Fred <bigfred14@yandex.com> wrote: > You are mincing words, trying to evade the truth, as if there is some gre= at difference between deliberately introducing a vulnerability that invades= allows invasion of privacy and writing code that does it directly. Your ce= ntral point that open source is always secure is completely wrong and you c= an't admit that. We're getting really far off topic here, but nobody seriously claims that open source is always secure, or that any software is always secure for that matter. If you can point...

script to install directly a new Security Device into the Device Manager? #2
Hi, I installed a custom NSS Security Device using the Device Manager console. Is there a script that I can run to : - install directly this new Security Device into the Firefox browser when I plug-in my NSS secure device into an USB port? - uninstall the device when I remove it? I don't know where to start? - Is it possible to run a code that will do the same thing than the pop-up windows by replacing the pop-up windows query with the information that I have? Thank you ...

SOwens Technologies announces new line of Security software for DotNetNuke Portal Software
Imagine encrypting specific fields in your database, based on requirements and the needs of your customer or organization. Now do it with a few lines of code and your using InCryptorIT software by SOwens Technologies. Read about our first product in our new line of software at SOwens Technologies.Steven OwensSOwens Technologies...we make the net move Shouln't this be posted in another forum?Do you know the truth when you hear it?...

Software Security Device?
Logging in on web I get a popup with Mozilla icon. Message headed "Password Required" with underneath "Please enter the master password for the Software Security Device". I have hunted everywhere and am unable to find anything relating to this. The message an be cancelled and one can log in but password cannot be saved. -- johnmidl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ johnmidl;2375527 Wrote: > Logging in on web I get a popup with Mozilla icon. Message headed > "Password Required" with underneath &q...

Software Security Device
I thought I'd be cute "security conscious", so I "installed" a Master password into the device. Now I've forgotten the password. Is there a way to find my password so that I can elimanate it without having to delete and reload Firefox? Thanks, Chuck. Chuck Golightly Jr. wrote: > I thought I'd be cute "security conscious", so I "installed" a Master > password into the device. Now I've forgotten the password. Is there a way > to find my password so that I can elimanate it without having to delete and > r...

Software Security Device.
Name: PAUL TALBOYS Email: pauldottalboysatmedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Software Security Device. Comments: I have downloaded the update 3.6.8 I still cannot either find out of change the password for the Software Security Device. Please help me as I am getting tired of the pop up asking me and me having to always cancel I have tried re setting and unchecking the box but I need to know the master passowrd to do iot!!!!! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 From URL: http://hendrix.mozi...

Software Security Device.
I thought I'd be cute (security conscious) and installed a password into the SSD. I haven't used any tools that it protects for some time. Now I've forgotten the password, of course! Is there a way to uncover the original password so that I can change it to another? I now have to restart the whole system just to unlock the screen. Thanks, Chuck. > I thought I'd be cute (security conscious) and installed a password into the You're only cute once. see answers in original thread http://google.com/groups?threadm=R-OdnReNC76bAhzYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d%40mo...

Security
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080100010401000103080002 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm a Mac user 10.4.8 of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 & am wondering how "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to find any explanation of FIPS under Thunderbird help. -- Have a good day R Schwager --------------080100010401000103080002 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Tr...

New USB security device
This new device from National Security obviates PKCS#11 crypto dongles, and even platform attestation! http://www.leadingwedge.com/archives/nsecurity_wombat.html They also offer security devices for printers http://www.leadingwedge.com/archives/nsecurity_PS200.html and disaster recovery software http://www.leadingwedge.com/archives/d_recovery.html [Maybe I should have posted this in m.d.t.crypto.humor] ...

Login to software security device
Another one: With TB 3 pre2 for every account I've got I must enter the master password for the security device. This behavior is new, previously once confirming the password was enough. Quite disturbing....has anybody else experienced it? Does a bug report exist already? -- Regards Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org> Jabber: startcom@startcom.org <xmpp:startcom@startcom.org> Blog: Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org> Phone: +1.213.341.0390 > Another one: With TB 3 pre2 for every account I've got I must...

new security device for internet banking
My bank is issuing a new device called a card reader. You put your credit card in it and type in the pin, and it generates a one time pass code which is used to authorise transactions on the internet bank account. It looks like a good idea to me as the card reader itself does not need to have any identifying information in, so they can send them through the post etc. It becomes unique only when you put your card in it. I expect they are having a lot of trouble with fraud to be willing to incur the expense of making these things. In article <gm1kga$247j$1@news.grc.com>, tree-sp...

Introducing mozilla::UniquePtr and mozilla::MakeUnique for |new T| and |new T[]| resources
Hey all, mfbt recently picked up mozilla::UniquePtr<T or T[]>, a smart pointer for objects created using |new| or |new[]|. UniquePtr will automatically |delete| or |delete[]| its pointer when it's destroyed. (You can also define custom deletion policies if you want.) Additionally, you can safely embed UniquePtr in properly-written container classes. This is dangerous or impossible with the current alternatives, because they consider the act of copying to *move* the pointer out of the source object (mutating it), into the sink object. mfbt also gained MakeUnique, which wor...

software security device is driving me INSANE!
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: software security device is driving me INSANE! Comments: For the past few releases, Firefox has automatically asked for my "software security device" password, even when I did not want to use a password or fill out forms. Prior to that, it only asked when I went to a webpage that needed a stored password. It now asks for the password two times, and Foxmarks asks once, every 30 seconds. In the time it took me to write this I had to press ESC 27 times! I open & reopen Firefox 50 times a day. If we can't return to the on-d...

Web resources about - New software security device - netscape.mozilla.crypto

Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer software or simply software is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer 's processor to perform specific operations. ...

Questioning Software
Given that I resigned a couple weeks ago and am looking for new work , I've been asking myself a lot of questions about what I want to do next. ...

Lessons Learned by a Solo Entrepreneur - Software by Rob
... is written by Rob Walling, a serial web entrepreneur. He writes about startups, internet marketing, SEO, and other topics that interest software ...

Renaissance Software
We help individuals and companies to apply state of the art design and process technologies to both embedded and non-embedded software development. ...

Business of Software
We are gearing up for another awe-inspiring, thought-engaging, and actionable conference in 2012. It is our vision to stir up innovation and ...

Scaling Software Agility - Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell
Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell

Software on the Side
While I was at Ancestry.com, we used the StrengthsFinder assessment to give us insights into ourselves. If you haven’t taken it, I highly recommend ...

The Famous Software Company - Development Blog
A year ago I was looking for an app that enabled me to stream audio from iTunes to my iPhone. I was sharing an apartment at the time, and in ...

A Software Insider's Point of View
Innovative CIO’s Betting On Disruptive Technologies That Impact Enterprise Business Value In the Four Personas of the Next Gen CIO published ...