Won't send, won't receive, won't do anything but send me rejection messages!

I keep getting messages such as these:
Unable to connect to your IMAP server.  You may have exceeded the maximum c=
onnections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog to re=
duce the number of cached connections.
Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SM=
TP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.
I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes one =
of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the screen, s=
o there is no way to get near the top of the page, to pull it down. But now=
 I'm using Windows 10, and I'm so fed up with having issues with Thunderbir=
d, that I'm wanting to import all of my contacts into Gmail, and use it exc=
lusively. However, Gmail won't even allow me to do that--it only wants to a=
ccept old Gmail contacts!! =20
Do you have any solutions? I have already tried to change the Account/Serve=
r Settings, before that page decided to go fly a kite, but it didn't help a=
t all.
Thank you for reading/considering my email. If you can resolve these issues=
, I might choose to stay with Thunderbird--who knows??
Brenda
0
Brenda
9/30/2015 7:02:08 PM
📁 mozilla.support.thunderbird
📃 22506 articles.
⭐ 5 followers.

💬 7 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2453 Views


On 30/09/15 20:02, Brenda Dyck wrote:
> I keep getting messages such as these:
>
> Unable to connect to your IMAP server.  You may have exceeded the maximum connections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog to reduce the number of cached connections.
>
> Sending of the message failed.
> The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.
>
> I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes one of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the screen, so there is no way to get near the top of the page, to pull it down. But now I'm using Windows 10, and I'm so fed up with having issues with Thunderbird, that I'm wanting to import all of my contacts into Gmail, and use it exclusively. However, Gmail won't even allow me to do that--it only wants to accept old Gmail contacts!!
>
> Do you have any solutions? I have already tried to change the Account/Server Settings, before that page decided to go fly a kite, but it didn't help at all.
>
> Thank you for reading/considering my email. If you can resolve these issues, I might choose to stay with Thunderbird--who knows??
>
> Brenda
>

Brenda,
Have you checked your imap settings to see if they are still correct? 
Windows 10 has got a very serious problem in that it changes many 
settings without notifying anything to the user.  Mozilla's CEO has 
formally complained to Microsoft (an open letter is posted on Mozilla 
blogs) about certain settings and so I suspect this could be another one.
I have also noticed that the lines of your post is very long for my 
likings.  I have to scroll horizontally to read your entire message and 
this too needs to be corrected.
You also need to distinguish correctly between GMA@IL and Thunderbird. 
GMAIL is a service provider while Thunderbird is an EMAIL client.  So 
when you say you are trying to import all your contacts in GMAIL, do you 
mean to say you are importing in Thunderbird?
We might have the solutions for you but you need to start with checking 
the IMAP settings and post back here.
Good luck.

0
Linux
9/30/2015 8:03:51 PM
--089e013cbd32b8d21b0520fca9d9
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
I'm assuming by Gmail she means the gmail web client..
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Linux User <Linux.User@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> On 30/09/15 20:02, Brenda Dyck wrote:
>
>> I keep getting messages such as these:
>>
>> Unable to connect to your IMAP server.  You may have exceeded the maximum
>> connections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog to
>> reduce the number of cached connections.
>>
>> Sending of the message failed.
>> The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server
>> (SMTP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try
>> again.
>>
>> I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes
>> one of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the
>> screen, so there is no way to get near the top of the page, to pull it
>> down. But now I'm using Windows 10, and I'm so fed up with having issues
>> with Thunderbird, that I'm wanting to import all of my contacts into Gmail,
>> and use it exclusively. However, Gmail won't even allow me to do that--it
>> only wants to accept old Gmail contacts!!
>>
>> Do you have any solutions? I have already tried to change the
>> Account/Server Settings, before that page decided to go fly a kite, but it
>> didn't help at all.
>>
>> Thank you for reading/considering my email. If you can resolve these
>> issues, I might choose to stay with Thunderbird--who knows??
>>
>> Brenda
>>
>>
>
> Brenda,
>
> Have you checked your imap settings to see if they are still correct?
> Windows 10 has got a very serious problem in that it changes many settings
> without notifying anything to the user.  Mozilla's CEO has formally
> complained to Microsoft (an open letter is posted on Mozilla blogs) about
> certain settings and so I suspect this could be another one.
>
> I have also noticed that the lines of your post is very long for my
> likings.  I have to scroll horizontally to read your entire message and
> this too needs to be corrected.
>
> You also need to distinguish correctly between GMA@IL and Thunderbird.
> GMAIL is a service provider while Thunderbird is an EMAIL client.  So when
> you say you are trying to import all your contacts in GMAIL, do you mean to
> say you are importing in Thunderbird?
>
> We might have the solutions for you but you need to start with checking
> the IMAP settings and post back here.
>
> Good luck.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> support-thunderbird mailing list
> support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird
> To unsubscribe, send an email to
> support-thunderbird-request@lists.mozilla.org?subject=unsubscribe
>
--089e013cbd32b8d21b0520fca9d9
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<div dir=3D"ltr">I&#39;m assuming by Gmail she means the gmail web client..=
</div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep=
 30, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Linux User &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:Li=
nux.User@invalid.invalid" target=3D"_blank">Linux.User@invalid.invalid</a>&=
gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 =
0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On 30/=
09/15 20:02, Brenda Dyck wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I keep getting messages such as these:<br>
<br>
Unable to connect to your IMAP server.=C2=A0 You may have exceeded the maxi=
mum connections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog =
to reduce the number of cached connections.<br>
<br>
Sending of the message failed.<br>
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SM=
TP) <a href=3D"http://smtp.google.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
>smtp.google.com</a> was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.<=
br>
<br>
I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes one =
of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the screen, s=
o there is no way to get near the top of the page, to pull it down. But now=
 I&#39;m using Windows 10, and I&#39;m so fed up with having issues with Th=
underbird, that I&#39;m wanting to import all of my contacts into Gmail, an=
d use it exclusively. However, Gmail won&#39;t even allow me to do that--it=
 only wants to accept old Gmail contacts!!<br>
<br>
Do you have any solutions? I have already tried to change the Account/Serve=
r Settings, before that page decided to go fly a kite, but it didn&#39;t he=
lp at all.<br>
<br>
Thank you for reading/considering my email. If you can resolve these issues=
, I might choose to stay with Thunderbird--who knows??<br>
<br>
Brenda<br>
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Brenda,<br>
<br>
Have you checked your imap settings to see if they are still correct? Windo=
ws 10 has got a very serious problem in that it changes many settings witho=
ut notifying anything to the user.=C2=A0 Mozilla&#39;s CEO has formally com=
plained to Microsoft (an open letter is posted on Mozilla blogs) about cert=
ain settings and so I suspect this could be another one.<br>
<br>
I have also noticed that the lines of your post is very long for my likings=
..=C2=A0 I have to scroll horizontally to read your entire message and this =
too needs to be corrected.<br>
<br>
You also need to distinguish correctly between GMA@IL and Thunderbird. GMAI=
L is a service provider while Thunderbird is an EMAIL client.=C2=A0 So when=
 you say you are trying to import all your contacts in GMAIL, do you mean t=
o say you are importing in Thunderbird?<br>
<br>
We might have the solutions for you but you need to start with checking the=
 IMAP settings and post back here.<br>
<br>
Good luck.<div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5"><br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
support-thunderbird mailing list<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org" target=3D"_blank">=
support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org</a><br>
<a href=3D"https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thu=
nderbird</a><br>
To unsubscribe, send an email to <a href=3D"http://support-thunderbird-requ=
est@lists.mozilla.org?subject=3Dunsubscribe" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_=
blank">support-thunderbird-request@lists.mozilla.org?subject=3Dunsubscribe<=
/a><br>
</div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>
--089e013cbd32b8d21b0520fca9d9--
0
Evan
9/30/2015 8:20:34 PM
Linux User wrote:
> I have also noticed that the lines of your post is very long for my
> likings.  I have to scroll horizontally to read your entire message and
> this too needs to be corrected.
Brenda is posting via googlegroups G2 which does its variety of 
quoted-printable.  On my system, viewing her message, her lines wrap at 
the window; when I size the window smaller, the lines are shorter; they 
don't go past the window requiring scrolling.  Not that I 'agree with' 
GG choosing its style of format, but if one is going to use GG, they 
can't control how it formats.
Also, your Tb does format=flowed, so those of us who prefer to 'flow' 
f=f display, your lines also wrap at the window.
However, if I would reply to Brenda, her lines would NOT autowrap 
properly unless I use my rewrap function on them, whereas yours will.
-- 
Mike Easter
0
Mike
9/30/2015 8:29:19 PM
Evan Platt wrote:
> I'm assuming by Gmail she means the gmail web client..
Brenda said:
> The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing
> server (SMTP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the
> transaction. Try again.

-- 
Mike Easter
0
Mike
9/30/2015 9:19:45 PM
--001a113fe5fa5ebb900520fd8a6e
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Well yeah. 20 years of working IT, I learn to read between the lines. We'll
wait for her confirmation, but my guess is she's using thunderbird to
connect to her gmail. She's having so many issues with thunderbird, she
wants to switch to gmail (web client), to import her thunderbird contacts
to gmail (web client) however gmail (web client) won't allow her to import
her thunderbird contacts...
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
> Evan Platt wrote:
>
>> I'm assuming by Gmail she means the gmail web client..
>>
>
> Brenda said:
>
> The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing
>> server (SMTP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the
>> transaction. Try again.
>>
>
>
> --
> Mike Easter
>
> _______________________________________________
> support-thunderbird mailing list
> support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird
> To unsubscribe, send an email to
> support-thunderbird-request@lists.mozilla.org?subject=unsubscribe
>
--001a113fe5fa5ebb900520fd8a6e
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<div dir=3D"ltr">Well yeah. 20 years of working IT, I learn to read between=
 the lines. We&#39;ll wait for her confirmation, but my guess is she&#39;s =
using thunderbird to connect to her gmail. She&#39;s having so many issues =
with thunderbird, she wants to switch to gmail (web client), to import her =
thunderbird contacts to gmail (web client) however gmail (web client) won&#=
39;t allow her to import her thunderbird contacts...</div><div class=3D"gma=
il_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:19 PM, M=
ike Easter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:MikeE@ster.invalid" targ=
et=3D"_blank">MikeE@ster.invalid</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">Evan Platt wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I&#39;m assuming by Gmail she means the gmail web client..<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Brenda said:<br>
<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing<br>
server (SMTP) <a href=3D"http://smtp.google.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">smtp.google.com</a> was lost in the middle of the<br>
transaction. Try again.<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br><font color=3D"#888888">
-- <br>
Mike Easter</font><div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5"><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
support-thunderbird mailing list<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org" target=3D"_blank">=
support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org</a><br>
<a href=3D"https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thu=
nderbird</a><br>
To unsubscribe, send an email to <a href=3D"http://support-thunderbird-requ=
est@lists.mozilla.org?subject=3Dunsubscribe" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_=
blank">support-thunderbird-request@lists.mozilla.org?subject=3Dunsubscribe<=
/a><br>
</div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>
--001a113fe5fa5ebb900520fd8a6e--
0
Evan
9/30/2015 9:23:23 PM
Evan Platt wrote:
> Well yeah. 20 years of working IT, I learn to read between the lines.
> We'll wait for her confirmation, but my guess is she's using
> thunderbird to connect to her gmail.
Correct.
> She's having so many issues with thunderbird, she wants to switch to
> gmail (web client), to import her thunderbird contacts to gmail (web
> client)
Correct.
> however gmail (web client) won't allow her to import her thunderbird
> contacts...
Correct; altho' we don't have much information on that problem yet.
Tb will export as .csv and Gmail will import as .csv, but naturally they 
have very different field arrangements and elements.
If I were going to do it, I would do a lot of hand-tweaking with a 
spreadsheet by comparing gmail's .csv with Tb's so that I could match 
them up.
I would create a couple of short (say 3) contacts lists in each to mess 
around with importing each into the spreadsheet.
Gmail describes how to create a custom .csv file, so I would do a 
'hybrid' of exporting a .csv, then converting it into a custom .csv, 
then importing it.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12119?vid=1-635792456081307764-1231080617 
  Create or edit CSV files
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14024?hl=en  Import contacts as a 
CSV file
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12118?vid=1-635792456081307764-1231080617 
  If you have trouble uploading a file in to Gmail, you may need to open 
the file in Excel, alter the columns and/or headers, and then save the 
file as .csv.
(Where alter the columns/headers refers to create/edit .csv)
-- 
Mike Easter
0
Mike
9/30/2015 9:37:29 PM
Mike Easter wrote:
> Evan Platt wrote:
>> Well yeah. 20 years of working IT, I learn to read between the lines.
>> We'll wait for her confirmation, but my guess is she's using
>> thunderbird to connect to her gmail.
>
> Correct.
>
>> She's having so many issues with thunderbird, she wants to switch to
>> gmail (web client), to import her thunderbird contacts to gmail (web
>> client)
>
> Correct.
>
>> however gmail (web client) won't allow her to import her thunderbird
>> contacts...
>
> Correct; altho' we don't have much information on that problem yet.
>
> Tb will export as .csv and Gmail will import as .csv, but naturally they
> have very different field arrangements and elements.
>
> If I were going to do it, I would do a lot of hand-tweaking with a
> spreadsheet by comparing gmail's .csv with Tb's so that I could match
> them up.
>
> I would create a couple of short (say 3) contacts lists in each to mess
> around with importing each into the spreadsheet.
>
> Gmail describes how to create a custom .csv file, so I would do a
> 'hybrid' of exporting a .csv, then converting it into a custom .csv,
> then importing it.
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12119?vid=1-635792456081307764-1231080617
>   Create or edit CSV files
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14024?hl=en  Import contacts as a
> CSV file
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12118?vid=1-635792456081307764-1231080617
>   If you have trouble uploading a file in to Gmail, you may need to open
> the file in Excel, alter the columns and/or headers, and then save the
> file as .csv.
>
> (Where alter the columns/headers refers to create/edit .csv)
>
gcontactsync is an addon that keeps gmail and thunderbird contacts in sync.
0
Millwood
9/30/2015 10:12:51 PM
Reply: