Thunderbird slow to download messages or send message

We now use Thunderbird for our e-mail on three Windows XP systems (with 
SP2)
in our house and all three do the same thing. First of all, when I start 
up Thunderbird, I cannot download any new messages until I get a pop-up 
in the lower right-hand corner telling me I have new mail.
Then, when I click on "Get Mail", the following happens:
I see "Connected to mail.(isp provider).ca..." at the bottom of the window,
the system seems to wait for 30-40 seconds,
then I see "Connect: Host contacted, sending login information",
followed by "Downloading message 1 of XX".
The same delay occurs when sending e-mail:
I see "Connected to mail.(isp provider).ca..." at the bottom of the window,
the system seems to wait for 30-40 seconds,
then I see "Delivering mail", followed by "Mail delivered successfully".
All three PC's operate with the same delay. I have spoken to my ISP a 
number of times and they assure me the problem isn't at their end. I 
have tried bypassing the wireless router but it didn't help. I also 
tried compacting all folders but no change. We didn't have this delay 
when the three PC's were using Netscape 7.2.
Would anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this 30-40 second 
wait time and how can I eliminate it?
Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
0
J
5/18/2007 8:30:58 PM
📁 mozilla.support.thunderbird
📃 22506 articles.
⭐ 5 followers.

💬 3 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2407 Views


On 5/18/2007 1:30 PM On a whim, J-M D'Aoust pounded out on the keyboard
> 
> We now use Thunderbird for our e-mail on three Windows XP systems (with 
> SP2)
> in our house and all three do the same thing. First of all, when I start 
> up Thunderbird, I cannot download any new messages until I get a pop-up 
> in the lower right-hand corner telling me I have new mail.
> Then, when I click on "Get Mail", the following happens:
> I see "Connected to mail.(isp provider).ca..." at the bottom of the window,
> the system seems to wait for 30-40 seconds,
> then I see "Connect: Host contacted, sending login information",
> followed by "Downloading message 1 of XX".
> 
> The same delay occurs when sending e-mail:
> I see "Connected to mail.(isp provider).ca..." at the bottom of the window,
> the system seems to wait for 30-40 seconds,
> then I see "Delivering mail", followed by "Mail delivered successfully".
> 
> All three PC's operate with the same delay. I have spoken to my ISP a 
> number of times and they assure me the problem isn't at their end. I 
> have tried bypassing the wireless router but it didn't help. I also 
> tried compacting all folders but no change. We didn't have this delay 
> when the three PC's were using Netscape 7.2.
> 
> Would anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this 30-40 second 
> wait time and how can I eliminate it?
> 
> Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
Hi JM,
I have our router set to disconnect after a certain period of time and 
when it does, it will take a few seconds to reconnect, but nothing longer.
Sounds like it's a server setting.  Have you looked at the server 
settings of your prior email client to verify they are correct in TB? 
Can you try your old client to see if the delay is only on TB?
-- 
Terry R.
Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
0
Terry
5/18/2007 8:39:48 PM
I have made the server settings the same but no real time improvement. 
Netscape seems a bit faster that TB but still has delay. Now I get: 
"Connect: Host contacted, sending login information..." right away but 
still have delay of 30 seconds. I tried disconnecting the router and 
when I do, sending messages happens quickly but not getting new 
messages. I don't know if some of the TCP/IP settings could have an 
impact of this problem or even the router settings. I'm not very 
knowledgeable but my wife keeps complaining that it used to be much faster.
j-m

Terry R. wrote:
> On 5/18/2007 1:30 PM On a whim, J-M D'Aoust pounded out on the keyboard
> 
>>
>> We now use Thunderbird for our e-mail on three Windows XP systems 
>> (with SP2)
>> in our house and all three do the same thing. First of all, when I 
>> start up Thunderbird, I cannot download any new messages until I get a 
>> pop-up in the lower right-hand corner telling me I have new mail.
>> Then, when I click on "Get Mail", the following happens:
>> I see "Connected to mail.(isp provider).ca..." at the bottom of the 
>> window,
>> the system seems to wait for 30-40 seconds,
>> then I see "Connect: Host contacted, sending login information",
>> followed by "Downloading message 1 of XX".
>>
>> The same delay occurs when sending e-mail:
>> I see "Connected to mail.(isp provider).ca..." at the bottom of the 
>> window,
>> the system seems to wait for 30-40 seconds,
>> then I see "Delivering mail", followed by "Mail delivered successfully".
>>
>> All three PC's operate with the same delay. I have spoken to my ISP a 
>> number of times and they assure me the problem isn't at their end. I 
>> have tried bypassing the wireless router but it didn't help. I also 
>> tried compacting all folders but no change. We didn't have this delay 
>> when the three PC's were using Netscape 7.2.
>>
>> Would anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this 30-40 
>> second wait time and how can I eliminate it?
>>
>> Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
> 
> Hi JM,
> 
> I have our router set to disconnect after a certain period of time and 
> when it does, it will take a few seconds to reconnect, but nothing longer.
> 
> Sounds like it's a server setting.  Have you looked at the server 
> settings of your prior email client to verify they are correct in TB? 
> Can you try your old client to see if the delay is only on TB?
> 
0
quaildog
5/18/2007 10:02:16 PM
On 5/18/2007 3:02 PM On a whim, quaildog pounded out on the keyboard
> I have made the server settings the same but no real time improvement. 
> Netscape seems a bit faster that TB but still has delay. Now I get: 
> "Connect: Host contacted, sending login information..." right away but 
> still have delay of 30 seconds. I tried disconnecting the router and 
> when I do, sending messages happens quickly but not getting new 
> messages. I don't know if some of the TCP/IP settings could have an 
> impact of this problem or even the router settings. I'm not very 
> knowledgeable but my wife keeps complaining that it used to be much faster.
> 
> j-m
> 
<snip>
Well if sending messages is faster with the router bypassed, that could 
be a clue. It shouldn't inflict any performance hit.
-- 
Terry R.
Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
0
Terry
5/19/2007 12:15:57 AM
Reply: