Thunderbird not downloading messages anymore

This seems to be an old, repeat topic, but here goes. ... After going
over this a bit, I happened to observe the traffic between Thunderbird
and the pop server using wireshark and there is no attempted access.
The text on the lower edge of the window says "Connecting to
pop ...".  I see the DNS query and response but then nothing more.  I
whittled the Inbox down from 1.5GB to 335k or so in size by foldering
messages and I've compacted several times as well as quit/deleted the
Inbox.msf file/restarted.  I am using the latest release, Thunderbird
6.02.

Any reason Thunderbird wouldn't try to contact the pop server when it
says it is doing so?

-thanks
0
tkii887 9/8/2011 9:09:34 AM
📁 mozilla.support.thunderbird
📃 20001 articles.
⭐ 1 followers.

💬 3 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 36 Views
tkii887@yahoo.com wrote:
Subject: Thunderbird not downloading messages anymore

> I happened to observe the traffic between Thunderbird and the pop
> server using wireshark and there is no attempted access. The text on
> the lower edge of the window says "Connecting to pop ...".  I see the
> DNS query and response but then nothing more.

Please clarify any misunderstandings below.

I interpret this to be a report of your using your XP that you posted to
GG with and some unstated v. of Tb to mean that previously you were
successfully popping your mail from some unstated mailserver, perhaps
att/yahoo's, and now you have ceased to be able to pop the mail from
that server and that you are troubleshooting it with wireshark.

Besides using your wireshark packet sniffer, you may be interested in
these articles.

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_mail_log.htm  How
to Log POP, IMAP and SMTP Traffic in Mozilla Thunderbird

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news   Session
logging for mail/news  - These methods are only useful for investigating
problems that occur after Thunderbird establishes a connection to a
server.  - POP3 connection states

# 1 Methods for logging
     * 1.1 Using Thunderbird
           o 1.1.1 Other types of problems you can solve
     * 1.2 Using a proxy
     * 1.3 Using a packet sniffer

I don't currently have any kind of yahoo mail account, but my
understanding is that at some time some people had to use various types
of workarounds to access a free yahoo mail account by pop.

--
Mike Easter
0
On Sep 8, 7:03=A0am, Mike Easter <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:
> I interpret this to be a report of your using your XP that you posted to
> GG with and some unstated v. of Tb to mean that previously you were
> successfully popping your mail from some unstated mailserver, perhaps
> att/yahoo's, and now you have ceased to be able to pop the mail from
> that server and that you are troubleshooting it with wireshark.
.... <snip> ...
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike,

Tb is v 6.02.  I didn't specify initially as it seemed unrelated but
now I see
this could sound confusing.  The pop server is my ISP's not yahoo's or
other
3rd party's, so this is fairly vanilla mail server access from my
home
desktop.  I am new to Tb (though a longtime Firefox user) but the
rather
large Inbox was all dl'ed with this same Tb installation sometime
shortly
before I upped from 6.0 or 6.01? to 6.02, though the problem existed
already
before I made the upgrade.  I am using Windows XP SP3.  By XP did you
mean cross-post?.

Thanks for those links.  I am going to strip off add-on's one by one
next and
maybe try and reinstall Tb after that.

tkii887 9/8/2011 9:46:52 PM
On Sep 8, 2:46=A0pm, "tkii...@yahoo.com" <tkii...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 7:03=A0am, Mike Easter <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I interpret this to be a report of your using your XP that you posted t=
> > GG with and some unstated v. of Tb to mean that previously you were
> > successfully popping your mail from some unstated mailserver, perhaps
> > att/yahoo's, and now you have ceased to be able to pop the mail from
> > that server and that you are troubleshooting it with wireshark.
> ... <snip> ...
> > --
> > Mike Easter
>
> Mike,
>
> Tb is v 6.02. =A0I didn't specify initially as it seemed unrelated but
> now I see
> this could sound confusing. =A0The pop server is my ISP's not yahoo's or
> other
> 3rd party's, so this is fairly vanilla mail server access from my
> home
> desktop. =A0I am new to Tb (though a longtime Firefox user) but the
> rather
> large Inbox was all dl'ed with this same Tb installation sometime
> shortly
> before I upped from 6.0 or 6.01? to 6.02, though the problem existed
> already
> before I made the upgrade. =A0I am using Windows XP SP3. =A0By XP did you
> mean cross-post?.
>
> Thanks for those links. =A0I am going to strip off add-on's one by one
> next and
> maybe try and reinstall Tb after that.

(sigh) Update ...

made no difference:
x -add-ons
x reinstall
x backing up all local Inbox to local folder
x removing largest emails in my remote inbox to another folder on the
same server
x was next thinking about how I could move all the already downloaded
messages in my remote inbox into a side folder so I could move my
popstate.dat elsewhere and start with a brand new one when I realized
there is no way via the web interface to my ISP's email that I can
move emails from folder to folder there in increments any larger than
100, making the idea of processing 50k messages a non-starter with the
time-frame I have available. All this is in the interest of not having
to download all of these messages yet again ...

!argh, it was my firewall ... I have to stop falling for this
greenhorn gotcha ... Setting fw to regard Tb as explicitly trusted
fixed this.  I apologize for the oversight.  Have been relying overly
much on fw's "learning" capabilities, will do this much less in the
future.

The current oddness is that the list entries for mesages that have
since downloaded are all in non-bold font and all have the junk column
flag set (flame symbol), when I have not read most of them or flagged
any as junk myself.  This is messy but I believe things are up and
running again after a fashion.  I will follow up with my ISP in trying
to clear up this last bit, unless anyone has insight into this
behavior.

By the way, I had also been consistently observing error log warnings
that I see are similar to those mentioned in bugs 325491 and 672491.
I wasn't sure what they were about but they seemed only to happen once
upon opening the welcome page when invoking Tb and did not reoccur as
I tried to reconnect repeatedly so I assumed they were unrelated.

Thanks Mike for your response.

tkii887 9/10/2011 10:47:05 PM
Reply: