TB 3.1: Dislike 'Global Search' - Where is old search?

I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
(by subject, date, to, etc.).  In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
use.

I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
it as the only option!

0
DJAckerman
6/27/2010 12:53:14 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

On 6/26/2010 8:53 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
> use.
>
> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
> it as the only option!

When you type something in the search box the options appear below it.
I wasn't sure I would like it, but after using it for a couple of days,
I kind of like that better than the old setup.  I don't see a way to
change it to the old way either.
Dave Pyles
0
David
6/27/2010 1:05:03 AM
On 6/26/2010 8:53 PM eastern, DJAckerman wrote:
> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
> use.
>
> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
> it as the only option!

Same as in 3.0 - right click a server or a folder and select search.
0
Cal
6/27/2010 1:05:25 AM
On 6/26/2010 7:53 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
> use.
>
> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
> it as the only option!

You can turn it off.
Tools/options/advanced/

0
Ron
6/27/2010 1:16:56 AM
On 6/26/2010 9:16 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 7:53 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
>> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
>> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
>> use.
>>
>> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
>> it as the only option!
>>
> You can turn it off.
> Tools/options/advanced/

   Thank you!  (I also don't like the indexing -- so hopefully I'm rid
of that, too.)
0
DJAckerman
6/27/2010 1:33:59 AM
On 6/26/2010 9:05 PM, Cal Tinson wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 8:53 PM eastern, DJAckerman wrote:
>> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
>> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
>> use.
>>
>> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
>> it as the only option!
>>
> Same as in 3.0 - right click a server or a folder and select search.

  Thank you for this info, but I'm going to disable the Global Search
entirely; better suits my needs.
0
DJAckerman
6/27/2010 1:34:51 AM
On 6/26/2010 9:05 PM, David Pyles wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 8:53 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
>> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
>> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
>> use.
>>
>> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
>> it as the only option!
>>
> When you type something in the search box the options appear below it. I
> wasn't sure I would like it, but after using it for a couple of days, I
> kind of like that better than the old setup. I don't see a way to change
> it to the old way either.
> Dave Pyles

   I didn't see this when I tried.  Thanks for the information.

   (As noted in another reply, I've turned off the Global Search
entirely in Options/Advanced.
0
DJAckerman
6/27/2010 1:36:22 AM
On 6/26/2010 6:33 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 9:16 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 6/26/2010 7:53 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
>>> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
>>> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
>>> use.
>>>
>>> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
>>> it as the only option!
>>>
>> You can turn it off.
>> Tools/options/advanced/
>
>    Thank you!  (I also don't like the indexing -- so hopefully I'm rid
> of that, too.)

You'll also want to delete global-messages-db.sqlite from your profile
(with TB closed), in order to free up the wasted disk space.
0
Tarkus
6/27/2010 3:30:42 AM
On 6/26/2010 11:30 PM, Tarkus wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 6:33 PM, DJAckerman wrote:

>>> You can turn it off.
>>> Tools/options/advanced/
>>
>> Thank you! (I also don't like the indexing -- so hopefully I'm rid
>> of that, too.)
>
> You'll also want to delete global-messages-db.sqlite from your profile
> (with TB closed), in order to free up the wasted disk space.

  Thank you.  I'll do this.
0
DJAckerman
6/27/2010 12:53:38 PM
On 6/26/2010 6:05 PM, David Pyles wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 8:53 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
>> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
>> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
>> use.
>>
>> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
>> it as the only option!
>>
> When you type something in the search box the options appear below it. I
> wasn't sure I would like it, but after using it for a couple of days, I
> kind of like that better than the old setup. I don't see a way to change
> it to the old way either.
> Dave Pyles

global search... hmmm i have 8.5 mb of e'mail on this laptop... i have
received at least one e'mail a week, over the last 10 years from a
certain friend... global search can't find a single one of them...

so its now turned off...

if only i could move the search out of quick filter bar, up to the huge
blank space left in the absence of global search...

i did just discover i can toggle quick filter bar on and off...

so "customize" needs a few more options...

sean

--
.... Excuse me, is this tagline taken?

  ** taglines brought to you by tagzilla 0.066
0
sean
6/27/2010 8:34:17 PM
On 6/26/2010 9:36 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 9:05 PM, David Pyles wrote:
>> On 6/26/2010 8:53 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
>>> I just downloaded TB3.1 and I cannot find a way to use the 'old search'
>>> (by subject, date, to, etc.). In TB3.0x, one had the choice of which to
>>> use.
>>>
>>> I strongly dislike the Global Search and hope that we aren't stuck with
>>> it as the only option!
>>>
>> When you type something in the search box the options appear below it. I
>> wasn't sure I would like it, but after using it for a couple of days, I
>> kind of like that better than the old setup. I don't see a way to change
>> it to the old way either.
>> Dave Pyles
>
> I didn't see this when I tried. Thanks for the information.
>
> (As noted in another reply, I've turned off the Global Search entirely
> in Options/Advanced.

   I tried typing in the Global Search box and I don't see options below it?
0
DJAckerman
6/28/2010 8:30:16 PM
On 6/28/2010 4:30 PM, DJAckerman wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 9:36 PM, DJAckerman wrote:

>>> When you type something in the search box the options appear below it. I
>>> wasn't sure I would like it, but after using it for a couple of days, I
>>> kind of like that better than the old setup. I don't see a way to change
>>> it to the old way either.
>>> Dave Pyles
>>
>> I didn't see this when I tried. Thanks for the information.
>>
>> (As noted in another reply, I've turned off the Global Search entirely
>> in Options/Advanced.
>
> I tried typing in the Global Search box and I don't see options below it?
I was referring to the Quick Filter in TB 3.1 that appears in a toolbar
just above the message header pane.  In 3.0.x that filter text area had
a number of options which it no longer has.  The options now appear
below it when you type in the box.

I might not have been referring to the same search feature you had in
mind.  If not, then I didn't properly understand your original question.

Dave Pyles
0
David
6/28/2010 9:51:29 PM
On 6/28/2010 5:51 PM, David Pyles wrote:
> On 6/28/2010 4:30 PM, DJAckerman wrote:

>>> I didn't see this when I tried. Thanks for the information.
>>>
>>> (As noted in another reply, I've turned off the Global Search entirely
>>> in Options/Advanced.
>>
>> I tried typing in the Global Search box and I don't see options below it?
> I was referring to the Quick Filter in TB 3.1 that appears in a toolbar
> just above the message header pane. In 3.0.x that filter text area had a
> number of options which it no longer has. The options now appear below
> it when you type in the box.
>
> I might not have been referring to the same search feature you had in
> mind. If not, then I didn't properly understand your original question.
>
> Dave Pyles

   Yes, I was aware of the new Quick Filter, but, as you say, it has
only very basic options -- and not the ones I ever use.  (I probably
could have been clearer in my original post.)
0
DJAckerman
6/30/2010 1:02:26 AM
On 6/27/2010 5:53 AM, DJAckerman wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 11:30 PM, Tarkus wrote:

>>> Thank you! (I also don't like the indexing -- so hopefully I'm rid
>>> of that, too.)
>>
>> You'll also want to delete global-messages-db.sqlite from your profile
>> (with TB closed), in order to free up the wasted disk space.
>
> Thank you. I'll do this.

global-messages-db.sqlite reappears each time you reopen TB...  how to
permanently delete?

sean

--
We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be vegetarian...

  ** taglines brought to you by tagzilla 0.066.2
0
sean
7/1/2010 7:30:53 PM
On 7/1/2010 12:30 PM, sean bean wrote:
> On 6/27/2010 5:53 AM, DJAckerman wrote:

>>> You'll also want to delete global-messages-db.sqlite from your profile
>>> (with TB closed), in order to free up the wasted disk space.
>>
>> Thank you. I'll do this.
>
> global-messages-db.sqlite reappears each time you reopen TB...  how to
> permanently delete?

Check the file size.  Apparently, TB recreates it, even with global
indexing turned off, but the size is negligible.
0
Tarkus
7/1/2010 9:23:05 PM
On 7/1/2010 2:23 PM, Tarkus wrote:
> On 7/1/2010 12:30 PM, sean bean wrote:

>>> Thank you. I'll do this.
>>
>> global-messages-db.sqlite reappears each time you reopen TB... how to
>> permanently delete?
>
> Check the file size. Apparently, TB recreates it, even with global
> indexing turned off, but the size is negligible.

ahhh... stays at 39kb after turning off global search in the tools/options

cool

sean

--
Rule 18:  Always tip your hat before striking a lady.

  ** taglines brought to you by tagzilla 0.066.2
0
sean
7/2/2010 4:33:05 PM
The search feature is aweful

0
Muz
2/16/2011 12:01:35 PM
On 2/16/2011 7:01 AM, Muz wrote:
> The search feature is aweful

Coming from someone who found it off-putting at first, I encourage you
to stick with it for a few tries. It has some nice features that come in
handy (for me).

Bill B
0
Bill
2/16/2011 12:38:18 PM
On 2/16/11   PDT 4:01 AM, Muz wrote:
> The search feature is aweful

The old search, as I remember it, is available on each account. The
Global is an extra, as I see it, and while maybe not quite awesome,
isn't at all awful to me. In fact, a useful addition.

--
John McWilliams
0

Why I can't login in 'host' or 'admin' account when i upgrade to 3.1.1 from 3.1.0
Hi,I unzip DNN3.1.1 package and conver to my DNN original directory (ver 3.1.0) and install successfully.But when i login in 'host' or 'admin' account, it display 'Login Failed' ,so i tried to clean cookies in IE and also delete my portal aliases in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\. But it still can't login by any account.Anyone have an idea what's wrong? I can't swear to this, but it seems I've had problems in the past with account resets in this situation. Have you tried logging in as Host with the default password "host"...

Global Search: 'Search Everywhere' Option Is Missing
in the find box. Global Search is Enabled. -- Dan on 2/27/10 6:26 AM Dan said the following: > in the find box. Global Search is Enabled. -- Dan Well it was renamed "Search Every Where" to "Search All Messages" but I just get a blank tab, even after disabling all add-ons. Corrupt index? Way to force a rebuild? on 2/27/10 4:09 PM Dan said the following: > on 2/27/10 6:26 AM Dan said the following: >> in the find box. Global Search is Enabled. -- Dan > > Well it was renamed "Search Every Where" to "Search All Messages&qu...

''''''''''''''''''''

Full-text search with '#' and '+' in keyword
Searches by keyword containing pound '#' and plus '+' signs using a Sql Server 2005's Full-Text index, and functions 'freetext' and 'containstable' does not yield correct results matching the term, such as 'C#' and 'C++'. The returned results seems equivalent of ones returned by terms without the pound and plus signs. Could anyone shed some light on this? The normal way to handle this would be to have the word stemmer change the # to sharp and + to plus. That way your searches can do the same thing. But in most databases you would h...

Simple search using 'where' and 'like'
Hi, I am looking to create a simple search that will display records from one of the columns in my database that contain the searched term.I have generated the SQL statement as follows SELECT * FROM [gallery] WHERE ([Tags] LIKE '%' + @Tags + '%') and I know that this will create a list of records. But I am not sure how to tie this up to a textbox and search button. I am guessing that using a querystring will be one of the easier methods to store the data and display it on the results page?Thanks in advance,Joe I fyou are passing the datra from another page than Yes you can...

'''''

Sharepoint search-'How to provide 'Display more results' link in sharepoint search result core webpart.
 Hi,Currently i am working with sharepoint search result presentation.I am dealing with search core result webpart.My requirement is , i need to show top five results and then need to show 'X more results' link.when user clicks on this remaining results should displayed. Can anybody help me on this? Regards,Hina.  Hi Hina,             We have a paging option in Dataview Properties.i hope you know this already..Goto webpart Dataview Properties, in paging pane. Set " Display Items in the set of size " to '5 '..then you...

Importing to 'New' from 'Old' Thunderbird files
Searching Thunderbird I found 'Importing' but it wont work for me. I have a Windows XP which failed, (viruses, etc.) and the hard disk Drive C has been installed on the new XP as Drive 'E' (backup). The teccihie installed Windows etc on the new Drive C and REMOVED Windows programs from Drive E. When I attempted to get into Thunderbird, I was initially taken back to Step 1 to setup my own e-mail and language NewsGroup. My dread is I have lost the old Thunderbird Messages and Address Book which theoretically should be on Dive E. Can I rescue them - what are the ...

TB 3 Alpha 1 (trunk): Can't open mail from search
For the last two or three nightlies (Windows XP) I have been unable to open any emails from the Search Messages folder whether by double-clicking or by pressing the "Open" button. Can anyone help with this? Peter ...

When searching (Ctrl + F)
Hello all, First: I do not dislike the new search 'bar' intruduced in Delphi XE (never used any of the version between 2007 and XE). I do however miss one specific feature of the old searchdialog: - When recalling the 'previous' search, I miss the fact that EMB has changed the sorting of the 'history search term' ComboBox! In the 'old' days this was chronologicly (last used term is first listed), but now it's Alphabetically sorted (why?). I've created a QC report, for those who feel the same... http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx...

'run' of interface 'nsIProcess' failed in Thunderbird 3 RC1 but works in Thunderbird 2
Hi all, I've got a problem with a Thunderbird add-on which works always fine in Thunderbird 2. But in Thunderbird 3 (RC1) there are some problems. I hope someone can help me with the following point: The extension should start a windows application (exe) with some arguments, first time. The application keeps itself in the memory. All following calls of the application with arguments should call the still existing application with new arguments and so on (keep itself in memory and get the new arguments is managed by the application). But with Tunderbird 3 (RC1) there is ...

Move(AnsiString('xxx')[1], p^, 3) or Move(AnsiString('xxx'), p^, 3)
hello, what the best to do Move(AnsiString('xxx')[1], p^, 3) or Move(AnsiString('xxx'), p^, 3) ? thanks by advance loki loki wrote: > hello, > > what the best to do > > Move(AnsiString('xxx')[1], p^, 3) or Move(AnsiString('xxx'), p^, 3) ? > > thanks by advance Neither. The AnsiString will be a temporary string, and moving something to it that will not do anything useful. The second form is totally wrong, though, since it will overwrite a pointer, not text. Instead of asking which "solution" is better,...

Virtual folder: 'today' and 'yesterday' as search criteria?
Hello! I can create a virtual folder with the inclusion criteria 9.9.2005. But I don't find a variable "Today" or "Yesterday" and the like to have this folder showing only acutal messages. Is there a way to get this working? Thanks, Alexander Alexander, are you creating this folder from a saved search? If so, select your search criteria as "Age in Days" and for yesterday, set the value to 1. For today, set the value to 0. Try that, and see if that is what you want. HTH On 09/09/2005 06:14 am, Alexander Kluge thus wrote : > Hello! ...

Cannot upload a search SP with: WHERE [FirstName] LIKE '%' + @FirstName + '%'
Hi, I've written a SP for searching on my module and it works well. It has the following in the WHERE Clause: WHERE [FirstName] LIKE '%' + @FirstName + '%' But when I try to upload the SP within the SQLDataFile using the DNN engine it crashes with the following error below. I've highlighted the trouble spots and it looks like the plus signs (+) are not coming up in the Uploaded SP and that's exactly where the Incorrect Syntax is pointing. As I've said before it works great if I upload it manually. Also, all other SPs load well (and non of them has the {databaseOwner}{objectQuali...

Web resources about - TB 3.1: Dislike 'Global Search' - Where is old search? - mozilla.support.thunderbird