Security - Security Devices

--------------080100010401000103080002

I'm a Mac user 10.4.8 of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 & am wondering how
"Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to find any
explanation of  FIPS under Thunderbird  help.

--
Have a good day R Schwager

--------------080100010401000103080002

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
wondering how "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to
find any explanation of&nbsp; FIPS under Thunderbird&nbsp; help.</font><br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Have a good day R Schwager</pre>

--------------080100010401000103080002--
0
Richard
10/31/2006 7:29:25 PM
📁 mozilla.support.thunderbird
📃 22506 articles.
⭐ 5 followers.

💬 3 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2269 Views

Richard Schwager wrote:
> I'm a Mac user 10.4.8 of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 & am wondering how
> "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to find any
> explanation of  FIPS under Thunderbird  help.
>
> --
> Have a good day R Schwager

FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) is a method of encryption
that can be used with TLS (Transport Layer Security)

It is a standard set by the US Federal Government for encrypting data.
It should be used if the device and service mandate it. Otherwise do not
use it.
0
Moz
--------------090401050506090102050606

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Richard Schwager wrote:
>> I'm a Mac user 10.4.8 of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 & am wondering how
>> "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to find any
>> explanation of  FIPS under Thunderbird  help.
>>
>> --
>> Have a good day R Schwager
>>

> FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) is a method of
> encryption that can be used with TLS (Transport Layer Security)
>

> It is a standard set by the US Federal Government for encrypting data.
> It should be used if the device and service mandate it. Otherwise do
> not use it.
So in Thunderbird it is not necessary, & doesn't add any important level
of security?

--
Have a good day R Schwager

--------------090401050506090102050606

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
 type="cite">Richard Schwager wrote:
&amp; am wondering how "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I
can't seem to find any explanation of&nbsp; FIPS under Thunderbird&nbsp; help.
--&nbsp;<br>
Have a good day R Schwager
FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) is a method of
encryption that can be used with TLS (Transport Layer Security)
It is a standard set by the US Federal Government for encrypting data.
It should be used if the device and service mandate it. Otherwise do
not use it.
add any important level of security?</font><br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Have a good day R Schwager</pre>

--------------090401050506090102050606--
0
Richard
11/1/2006 1:28:19 PM
Richard Schwager wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Richard Schwager wrote:
>>> I'm a Mac user 10.4.8 of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 & am wondering how
>>> "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to find any
>>> explanation of  FIPS under Thunderbird  help.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Have a good day R Schwager
>>>

>> FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) is a method of
>> encryption that can be used with TLS (Transport Layer Security)
>>

>> It is a standard set by the US Federal Government for encrypting data.
>> It should be used if the device and service mandate it. Otherwise do
>> not use it.
> So in Thunderbird it is not necessary, & doesn't add any important level
> of security?
>
> --
> Have a good day R Schwager

Its adds FIPS - which if the device or service you use requires it, is
quite neccessary. It does add a very high level of security when in use
(which is why its mandated for Federal Government computers and systems)
If your system/service/device doesnt require it, then dont use it.

Use of FIPS requires you to have a password for each security device in
the system
0
Moz