Newsgroup shows 535 unread messages, none visible

TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)

A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
about it.

TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All

WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
something.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

💬 13 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 6938 Views

mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:
> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>
> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a
> rec. group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were
> available for, like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple
> days ago when I decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new
> account and told TB all about it.
>
> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)),
> but not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view
> options set to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and
> Threads: All
>
> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing
> on something.

What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
configured to fetch.

--
Ron K.

Ron
3/17/2009 5:18:06 PM
On 3/17/2009 10:18 AM Ron K. wrote:

> mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:
>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>
>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a
>> rec. group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were
>> available for, like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple
>> days ago when I decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new
>> account and told TB all about it.
>>
>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)),
>> but not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view
>> options set to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and
>> Threads: All
>>
>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing
>> on something.
>>
> What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
> to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
> from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
> configured to fetch.

Thanks, Ron.

30 days.

Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
described above.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
mike elliott wrote:
> Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
> messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
> accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
> NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
> described above.

It is common for TB to misreport the number of unread messages: this has
been a problem from day 1.
mike elliott on 3/17/2009 1:31 PM, keyboarded a reply:
> On 3/17/2009 10:18 AM Ron K. wrote:
>
>> mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:
>>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>>
>>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a
>>> rec. group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were
>>> available for, like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple
>>> days ago when I decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new
>>> account and told TB all about it.
>>>
>>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)),
>>> but not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view
>>> options set to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and
>>> Threads: All
>>>
>>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing
>>> on something.
>>>
>> What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
>> to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
>> from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
>> configured to fetch.
>>

> Thanks, Ron.
>
> 30 days.
>
> Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
> messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
> accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
> NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
> described above.

Could be an ewrror in the associated *.rc file, where the message indes
sequence is not contiguous. The only gaps in the insex sequence should be
from missing messages, i.e. 1-100, 105-200 where in this example the gap
reflect messages nolonger on that server. Such gaps could cause Tb to
report existance of "Unread" messages.  Since profiles are hidden in
Windows Explorer, make sure it is configured to show "system" files. Then
look in the News folder of the profile for the *.rc file of the server
account and read/edit it with Notepad or other text editor.  Worst case is
to open the folder of the server account and delete the *.msf file of the
effected group. This will force a reset much like removal of the account
and rebuilding a fresh version of the account.

It has been requested in Bugzilla that Tb acquire a version of the OE group
reset function.

--
Ron K.
Ron
On 3/17/2009 11:05 AM Ron K. wrote:

> mike elliott on 3/17/2009 1:31 PM, keyboarded a reply:
>> On 3/17/2009 10:18 AM Ron K. wrote:
>>
>>> mike elliott keyboarded, On 3/17/2009 1:04 PM:

>>> What is your account setting for how far back into the past you wanted
>>> to fetch headers?  Could be tthe server might not have a current feed
>>> from Usenet, thus no headers available for the time block you are
>>> configured to fetch.
>>>
>> Thanks, Ron.
>>
>> 30 days.
>>
>> Anyway, I have used "Mark Newsgroup Read" to reduce the number of unread
>> messages to 0. Like yesterday. Today there is a bunch (535) that have
>> accumulated, as shown by the number in parenthesis after the name of the
>> NG in the folder panel, and none are visible in the message panel as
>> described above.
>>

> Could be an ewrror in the associated *.rc file, where the message indes
> sequence is not contiguous. The only gaps in the insex sequence should be
> from missing messages, i.e. 1-100, 105-200 where in this example the gap
> reflect messages nolonger on that server. Such gaps could cause Tb to
> report existance of "Unread" messages.  Since profiles are hidden in
> Windows Explorer, make sure it is configured to show "system" files. Then
> look in the News folder of the profile for the *.rc file of the server
> account and read/edit it with Notepad or other text editor.  Worst case is
> to open the folder of the server account and delete the *.msf file of the
> effected group. This will force a reset much like removal of the account
> and rebuilding a fresh version of the account.
>
> It has been requested in Bugzilla that Tb acquire a version of the OE group
> reset function.

Okay, that's interesting. I found neither a .rc nor a .msf for the Usenet
NG. They do exist for news.mozilla.org

IOW, there's no indication that TB has created the necessary files for
news.motzarella.org's NNTP account. This, despite TB showing the account
in the folders pane. Maybe it's waiting to get its mitts on even one file
in order to get the ball rolling?

The NG accumulates a hundred or more messages a day so it's not lack of
activity, I don't think. Maybe the news server is munged. Anyone know of a
free Usenet (no pr0n, no warez) Usenet server to try?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
mike elliott wrote:
  IOW, there's no indication that TB has created the necessary files for
> news.motzarella.org's NNTP account. This, despite TB showing the account
> in the folders pane. Maybe it's waiting to get its mitts on even one
> file in order to get the ball rolling?
>
> The NG accumulates a hundred or more messages a day so it's not lack of
> activity, I don't think. Maybe the news server is munged. Anyone know of
> a free Usenet (no pr0n, no warez) Usenet server to try?

I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.

On 3/17/2009 11:55 AM C A Upsdell > wrote:

> mike elliott wrote:
>   IOW, there's no indication that TB has created the necessary files for
>> news.motzarella.org's NNTP account. This, despite TB showing the account
>> in the folders pane. Maybe it's waiting to get its mitts on even one
>> file in order to get the ball rolling?
>>
>> The NG accumulates a hundred or more messages a day so it's not lack of
>> activity, I don't think. Maybe the news server is munged. Anyone know of
>> a free Usenet (no pr0n, no warez) Usenet server to try?
>
> I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.

As have I in the past, until (see my OP) it kinda stopped getting proper
authentication or something which resulted in no new messages for a few
weeks, which is why I deleted that account, re-upped with
news.motzarella.org under a different user name a couple days ago and have
now encountered this problem of folder pane seeing unread messages but
message pane displaying none (/see my OP).

Now I have discovered that TB has not created a folder, a .rc, nor a .msf
for the NG account.

Hm. I click on the account name in the folder pane, it displays several
hundred unread messages (531, now), so I Mark Newsgroup Read, and the
count drops to zero (account unbolds), go to another account, come back
and it says, "No New Messages." Unless I wait about half an hour, then it
finds another several hundred. I wonder if it's chewing through all the
old stuff in order to find newer stuff that can be displayed?

Grasping at straws here.

I'd still like to try another free Usenet feed if someone know a non-pr0n,
non-warez one. Just as a troubleshooting step.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
mike elliott wrote:
>> I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.
>>
> As have I in the past, until (see my OP) it kinda stopped getting proper
> authentication or something ...

Yes, same thing happened to me, but I simply re-entered the
authentication info when TB prompted for it, and the server went live again.
On 3/17/2009 12:56 PM C A Upsdell > wrote:

> mike elliott wrote:
>>> I use Motzarella with TB with no special problem.
>>>
>> As have I in the past, until (see my OP) it kinda stopped getting proper
>> authentication or something ...
>
> Yes, same thing happened to me, but I simply re-entered the
> authentication info when TB prompted for it, and the server went live again.

Yep, well, that didn't work for me so, as I say, I have gotten a new
account, set it up exactly like the old with the exception of the
username/pwd and the behavior is different: now the folders pane sees
unread messages, but the message pane does not display any.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM mike elliott wrote:

> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>
> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
> about it.
>
> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>
> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
> something.

Okay, in addition to the interesting fact that TB has not created a
folder, a .rc, or a .msf file for this account, two new behaviors have
been identified.

1. If I go to some other account (mail or news) and come back to this one,
the number of unread messages seems to display as 531. Not always, a half
hour ago it showed as 9,865. But most times. I always Mark Newsgroup Read,
which drops the count to zero and unbolds the account name. If I go away
and come back pretty quickly, the folder pane denies that there are any
new messages. But after half an hour or so, it seems to want to generate
that 531 new messages count again.

2. If I Search the NG for some common string (it's a bicycling newsgroup,
so "wheel" is a good one) then TB finds many messages, none more recent
than 10/7/2008. Which is about when my earlier subscription to this NG on
news.motzarella.com stopped displaying messages.

So maybe everyone spontaneously stopped posting to rec.bicycles.tech on
October 7? Or news.motzarella.org stopped carrying the group? It does show
the name for subscription purposes, tho'.

It baffles science.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM, mike elliott wrote:
> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>
> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
> about it.
>
> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>
> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
> something.

Have you tried View>>Messages>>All
                        View>>Threads>>All

Irwin

Irwin
3/17/2009 8:39:24 PM
On 3/17/2009 1:32 PM, mike elliott wrote:
> On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM mike elliott wrote:
>
>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>
>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
>> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
>> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
>> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
>> about it.
>>
>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
>> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
>> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>>
>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
>> something.
>>

> Okay, in addition to the interesting fact that TB has not created a
> folder, a .rc, or a .msf file for this account, two new behaviors have
> been identified.

<snip>

Sounds like it may be using the old account information.  Check Server
settings for the account to see what folders it is using.

Irwin

<
0
Irwin
3/17/2009 9:26:32 PM
On 3/17/2009 1:39 PM Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 3/17/2009 10:04 AM, mike elliott wrote:
>> TB  2.0.0.19 (20081209)
>>
>> A few months ago, something goofy happened with my Usenet feed from a rec.
>> group that I enjoy reading. TB said no new messages were available for,
>> like, forever. I paid it no attention until a couple days ago when I
>> decided to just re-subscribe, so I set up a new account and told TB all
>> about it.
>>
>> TB accesses the news server now (news.motzarella.org, NNTP), and the
>> folder pane shows many, many unread messages (e.g., r.b.tech(535)), but
>> not a single message shows in the message pane. I have my view options set
>> to Sort By: order received, ascending, unthreaded and Threads: All
>>
>> WTH? Looks like the folder pane and the message pane are not agreeing on
>> something.
>>
> Have you tried View>>Messages>>All
>                         View>>Threads>>All

Hi Irwin,

Can't find a View>>Messages>>All in TB2.

Interesting -- Server settings for the account shows that it is using the
..rc file from when I was using Adelphia for my NNTP service.

So I closed TB, deleted any and all News > .rc, .msf, and subfolders
(except news.mozilla.org bits), and re-launched TB. I re-subscribed to
rec.bicycles.tech and TB created new .rc, .msf files and a matching folder.

And Hey Presto! it works. Something must have gotten munged in the profile
files.

Thanks all, for the help.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"