How to transfer messages from Thunderbird to Thunderbird

This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on the
second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a thumb
drive.

I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

Lindsay
3/25/2009 1:50:13 PM
📁 mozilla.support.thunderbird
📃 22506 articles.
⭐ 4 followers.

💬 9 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1380 Views

The date and time was Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:50:13 AM, and on a
whim, Lindsay Graham pounded out on the keyboard:

> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on the
> second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a thumb
> drive.
>
> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>
> Lindsay Graham
> Canberra, Australia

Hi Lindsay,

This page should help you get it done:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird

Terry R.
Terry
3/25/2009 2:01:31 PM
Lindsay Graham wrote:

> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on the
> second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a thumb
> drive.
>
> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.

 From your existing PC:  'tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
'Export all the messages in the folder' (use eml format)

  At the other end: 'Tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
'Import all eml from a directory' > (choose directory/ sub-directory, to
suit)

0
kes
3/25/2009 2:04:05 PM
Lindsay Graham said this on 3/25/2009 9:50 AM:
> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on the
> second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a thumb
> drive.
>
> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>
> Lindsay Graham
> Canberra, Australia

I've moved mine from XP to Vista or Windows 7 and have no problems with
simply copying the profile folder and subs to the new computer.
Or better yet, one folder up as there is a profile.ini file there too
that should go.
On my Xp machine I copy:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Thunderbird

If you already have the files there on the destination machine, then
just rename it to save it in case the transfer fails.

It brings all your news/mail folders add-ons and all.   Remember though
that some add-ons might not be compatible with a different OS.
0
Big_Al
3/25/2009 2:05:59 PM
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:50:13 AM, and on a
> whim, Lindsay Graham pounded out on the keyboard:
>

>> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
>> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
>> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on
>> the second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a
>> thumb drive.
>>
>> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>>
>> Lindsay Graham
>> Canberra, Australia
>>

> Hi Lindsay,
>
> This page should help you get it done:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird
>

> Terry R.
Thanks, Terry -- I've had a quick look and it seems that I will need to
use the ImportExportTools, which I've now downloaded.  I have a lot of
folders on both computers (some with the same name, some with different
names) -- will the add-on handle this OK?

Lindsay

0
Lindsay
3/25/2009 2:47:55 PM
kes wrote:
> Lindsay Graham wrote:
>>

>> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
>> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
>> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on
>> the second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a
>> thumb drive.
>>
>> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>>

>  From your existing PC:  'tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
> 'Export all the messages in the folder' (use eml format)
>
>  At the other end: 'Tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
> 'Import all eml from a directory' > (choose directory/ sub-directory, to
> suit)

What version of TB are you referring to?  I just
upgraded to 2.0.0.21 and there's no Export. Does beta
3 have more features or is there an addon for
*Import/Export*?
0
Don
3/25/2009 2:52:30 PM
kes wrote:

> Lindsay Graham wrote:
>> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
>> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
>> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on
>> the second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a
>> thumb drive.
>>
>> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>>
> From your existing PC:  'tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
> 'Export all the messages in the folder' (use eml format)
>
>  At the other end: 'Tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
> 'Import all eml from a directory' > (choose directory/ sub-directory,
> to suit)

Thanks for your help, Kes.  However, my version of Thunderbird
(2.0.0.21) does not have the options you've suggested.  I hope they are
in the ImportExportTools add-on which I've just downloaded and am about
to install.

Lindsay

0
Lindsay
3/25/2009 2:52:32 PM
Lindsay Graham wrote:
> kes wrote:
>>
>> Lindsay Graham wrote:
>>> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
>>> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
>>> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on
>>> the second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a
>>> thumb drive.
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>>>
>> From your existing PC:  'tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
>> 'Export all the messages in the folder' (use eml format)
>>
>>  At the other end: 'Tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
>> 'Import all eml from a directory' > (choose directory/ sub-directory,
>> to suit)
>>
> Thanks for your help, Kes.  However, my version of Thunderbird
> (2.0.0.21) does not have the options you've suggested.  I hope they are
> in the ImportExportTools add-on which I've just downloaded and am about
> to install.

Yes, they are. Sorry, I take these add-ons for granted sometimes.

Kes

0
kes
3/25/2009 5:03:15 PM
Don wrote:
> kes wrote:
>> Lindsay Graham wrote:
>>>

>>> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
>>> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
>>> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on
>>> the second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a
>>> thumb drive.
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>>>

>>  From your existing PC:  'tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format'
>> > 'Export all the messages in the folder' (use eml format)
>>
>>  At the other end: 'Tools' > 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format' >
>> 'Import all eml from a directory' > (choose directory/ sub-directory,
>> to suit)
>>

> What version of TB are you referring to?  I just upgraded to 2.0.0.21
> and there's no Export. Does beta 3 have more features or is there an
> addon for *Import/Export*?

Yes, there is an add-on 'ImportExportTools' v 2.1.4.
You can get it here:
http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

0
kes
3/25/2009 5:06:26 PM
on 3/25/2009 8:50 AM Lindsay Graham wrote the following:

> This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer.   I have
> moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to
> export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on the
> second.  They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a thumb
> drive.
>
> I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance.
>
> Lindsay Graham
> Canberra, Australia

I use MozBackup (free program) for transferring data between two PCs.
It works for both Thunderbird and Firefox files.
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
--
tb
0